Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:23:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

Quote from: Wilbur on December 20, 2019, 07:28:53 AM
Probably worth ruling out it being another program interfering. Start the machine with nothing else running and see if it still occurs. Are you using Windows ? If so run msconfig, go to services and tick hide all Microsoft services and then disable all  and apply, restart and see if it still happens. If it does it's probably hardware. If not you can add services back in one by one to see which one is breaking it.

I'll check this tomorrow, cheers Wilbur.

Kryton

Got a feeling it's a soundcard error.

Getting 'audio renderer error, please restart computer' bullshit.

Wilbur

Quote from: Kryton on December 21, 2019, 01:31:32 AM
Actually it's not fixed. Youtube videos still jerky as fuck. Video and audio seem a bit crunchy. Help.

Have you tried what I suggested ?

Kryton

canadagoose

I was wondering if any of you knew why I keep getting audio glitches when recording gameplay. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMg1NBMa0qU

You'll notice the video looks generally OK, but the audio glitches sometimes and I can't work out why. I don't think the CPU is *that* overworked but I could be wrong. Has anyone had any similar problems?

Zetetic

canadagoose

Puce Moment

I did that big Windows 10 update a few weeks ago and since then, my headset does not work properly in terms of mic volume/quality. However, after farting around with my settings I just couldn't seem to fix it and assumed it was the headset (basic sennheiser).

Bought a new one - very different (pretty cheap Xiberia), and have the same problem.

I notice that when it asks about an input device it does not show my headset, but rather just 'Microphone Realtek' or the Stereo option. I picked the first, as the second seems to make it worse.

This has been going on for a while and now it means I can't skype. Could really do with skyping my family on Xmas Day so I'm really trying to get this sorted out.

What have I not checked? Is it the soundcard? The green/pink ports? I don't have a danny la rue.

MojoJojo

Can you be a bit clearer about whats actually wrong?

Puce Moment

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 23, 2019, 08:40:30 AMCan you be a bit clearer about whats actually wrong?

Well that's hard to say because I am relying on other people to tell me on skype or if I am playing a game on a server. Apparently it is just very low volume, and I can't see a way to make it go louder. The mic is set at 98% and if I troubleshoot it gives me nothing. I do notice that in Device Properties if I test the mic, the volume bar barely seems to move when I speak into it. It is clearly too low but I do not see a way to make it go louder.

The skype audio settings are fine, the game audio settings are fine. I can't figure this one out.

NoSleep

I don't know the answer to your problem but I would guess it's something to do with the way Skype wants to take control of devices connected to it. When I use Skype I turn my usual audio interface off and connect an old one I keep handy; a Lexicon Alpha, which has its own manual volume controls for input and output. I plug a microphone and headphones into that and Skype can't do a damn thing about how I want to set the levels.

I wonder if your problem (short of doing something like I have) might be solved by resetting your audio settings, perhaps by trashing a preference file or something (I don't know, I know nothing about PC/Windows). Maybe an update (Skype/Windows) has rendered your headset obsolete/incompatible (was the new one you bought an up to date model?)

Every time I try to use Skype to speak to a friend of mine who uses a PC, there's always 20 minutes or more time taken while he sorts problems out on his side before we can have a conversation. Sometimes it seems like Skype turns him down every time he speaks, So I hear "ummm, H..." and then, when he stops speaking I hear the ambience in his room until he tries to speak again. Another issue that we've had is that his voice sounds thin and tinny, which is because he's sending two signals that are slightly out of sync with each other and cancel each other out (and he worked out how to turn one of the signals off) something like his preferred audio device was running parallel to the native audio built in to the computer. Knowing the trouble people have trying to cast on CaB Radio using Windows, it just seems to be set up for audio in opposition to ease of use; options you want to use mysteriously greyed out, etc. Especially problematic when people wanted to incorporate Skype into their casts.

Puce Moment

Well usually I would absolutely blame this on Skype, but as it is happening playing a game on a server, I suspect it has to be my PC. I have tried a number of things, resetting, reinstalling. I am starting to wonder if it might simply be the port at the back of my PC being iffy.

NoSleep

Added some to my previous post; have a further read. Maybe Skype has switched some settings for the headset that affect all apps.

NoSleep

Quote from: Puce Moment on December 23, 2019, 05:01:19 PM
Well usually I would absolutely blame this on Skype, but as it is happening playing a game on a server, I suspect it has to be my PC. I have tried a number of things, resetting, reinstalling. I am starting to wonder if it might simply be the port at the back of my PC being iffy.

PM me and we can arrange to Skype. It might be useful to know if you are getting a similar audio problem to my mate (I'll be able to recognise the symptoms); I know he's been able to fix it after a few tweaks, so I can get him to explain what he does in an email.

Mobius

My idiot girlfriend put a USB stick in a slot that specifically said "for phone charging only"

Actual smoke came out of computer. A fair bit.  ... but it seems ok? Should I be concerned?

MojoJojo

The "for phone charging only" just means no data lines connected so it can only supply power. So I think the socket was screwed anyway and USB stick is nothing to do with it.

Umm, as to whether to keep on using it... don't leave it on unattended (in case it catches fire). And make sure all essential data backed up and kept in a separate room (in case it catches fire).

NoSleep

Could it be possible that it will screw up any batteries you charge with it (even if it seems to work in the short term)?

H-O-W-L

That slot is definitely fucking toast too. I would advise taping it over or generally avoiding touching it if you can't physically disconnect and remove it from the PC. If it smoked there's always the chance it could give you a nasty shock. Unlikely a lethal or harmful one but better safe than sorry.

Mobius

Cheers lads. I turned the computer off, but fuck me there was a fair bit of smoke and it stank. Never seen that happen before.

Left it for an hour and turned it back on and everything seems to be working. Well my mouse and keyboard do and they're also using USB slots (wireless) so at the very least it hasn't fried everything. Had to leave for Xmas shit so just unplugged everything from the wall. Basically expecting to come home to a burnt down house tomorrow.

Definitely won't be using that USB slot ever again.

biniput

I recently had to re-install Kaspersky and suddenly it won't seemingly block youtube ads. A lot seem to get this so is a phenomenon and the web suggestions seem to be a bit pap. I have enabled protection in Firefox which had sneakily not enabled it and put the general youtube website onto a blacklist and put the banner ad blocker on and all to seemingly no avail. Kaspersky WAS blocking fine beforehand but not so now so what do I do?

EDIT: Some banners are blocked but NOT the general ads that play at the start and I FUCKING HATE THEM WITH A PASSION.

olliebean

Quote from: biniput on December 26, 2019, 03:39:09 AM
I recently had to re-install Kaspersky and suddenly it won't seemingly block youtube ads. A lot seem to get this so is a phenomenon and the web suggestions seem to be a bit pap. I have enabled protection in Firefox which had sneakily not enabled it and put the general youtube website onto a blacklist and put the banner ad blocker on and all to seemingly no avail. Kaspersky WAS blocking fine beforehand but not so now so what do I do?

EDIT: Some banners are blocked but NOT the general ads that play at the start and I FUCKING HATE THEM WITH A PASSION.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

Puce Moment

Quote from: NoSleep on December 23, 2019, 05:17:48 PM
PM me and we can arrange to Skype. It might be useful to know if you are getting a similar audio problem to my mate (I'll be able to recognise the symptoms); I know he's been able to fix it after a few tweaks, so I can get him to explain what he does in an email.

Thanks for the offer! Turns out it was an audio setting in the 'Broadcasting' section of 'Gaming' settings in Windows 10 that they decided to put in there just to make sure there are 18 different ways to change the volume settings both incoming and outgoing on your PC. Thanks Bill although at least I got it sorted.

Sound Settings should be the one place to do all of this.

lipsink

Can anyone help? I want to get a new laptop for around £200 to £250. The one I have is 10 years old and really slow when I'm editing using Audacity and the Internet cuts out a lot and I usually have to reboot. Plus the battery doesn't charge.

Want to get a laptop that this won't happen again to though. Should I just splash out and get a MacBook to be safe (I'll get one for £799 but I can pay monthly etc.) Mostly I use the laptop for editing a podcast I do and watching films. (Would like to edit video stuff too in the future)

Puce Moment

Quote from: lipsink on December 30, 2019, 03:54:32 PM
Can anyone help? I want to get a new laptop for around £200 to £250. The one I have is 10 years old and really slow when I'm editing using Audacity and the Internet cuts out a lot and I usually have to reboot. Plus the battery doesn't charge.

Want to get a laptop that this won't happen again to though. Should I just splash out and get a MacBook to be safe (I'll get one for £799 but I can pay monthly etc.) Mostly I use the laptop for editing a podcast I do and watching films. (Would like to edit video stuff too in the future)

I'm no expert, but I know from friends that if you are trying to do anything with editing you do need to get a laptop with a decent RAM and I'm not sure £250 will get you anything other than a very slow and bloaty piece of crap that will probably die in 12-24 months. A bit of a false economy maybe. I always pay monthly when I get a laptop or PC simply because the prices are so eye-watering.

lipsink

Ah, I see. What is a good size RAM for editing you think?

olliebean

For audio editing, I should think 4GB should be more than enough, shouldn't it? For video editing you'd probably want to go to 8GB or more.

earl_sleek

8GB seems to be what gets touted as the bare minimum nowadays, but I might risk 4GB for Audacity. It probably is worth paying a bit more to get 8GB though. I wouldn't have thought 4GB would be enough for editing video.

I went Mac just over a year ago and am glad I did (especially for audio stuff), but if you haven't used recent versions of macOS I'd try before you commit.

lipsink

Ah thanks everyone. Think I'm gonna go for the MacBook Air.

Puce Moment

It's a big financial commitment, but I think that given what you want to do with it, you will be relieved down the line. I basically went through the same process as you as I tried to find a decent Tablet that could also double up as a laptop with an attached keyboard. I was looking for ages and, of course, tablets have terrible specs. So I got a Surface which was close to four figures. But it is going strong almost 3-years later and I use it at work all the time, and travel with it so I can watch films. I adore it!

lipsink