Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:00:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

I have used Google's 'English to French' translation in order to post this, and then translated the results back using 'French to English'.  It still made some sort of sense, so the words I am about to post still paint a fairly coherent picture of what happened; if anyone can oblige with some reassurance I would appreciate it.

Ce n'est pas tant un problème qu'une demande de clarification.

Si une personne travaille à domicile et dispose d'un ordinateur portable d'entreprise connecté à Internet et ouvert afin que la webcam soit techniquement opérationnelle, mais l'utilisateur n'est pas connecté au réseau de l'entreprise et n'a pas de conversations ouvertes / chats, etc. qui utiliseraient la webcam, est-ce que quelqu'un de la société - ou même Internet - pourrait voir ce qui s'est passé sur la webcam?

Je demande parce que je suis techniquement en vacances et que je me suis branlé à l'heure du déjeuner sans réaliser que j'avais laissé l'ordinateur portable de travail ouvert, même s'il n'était pas connecté au réseau de travail.

J'étais aussi probablement hors de vue de la webcam, mais je suis toujours un peu inquiet.

Any guidance from technical people welcome.

Cuellar

Where do you buy cables that isn't Amazon these days? I need a display port to hdmi.

NoSleep

Cuellar

Praps, but Amazon are assholes aren't they.

NoSleep

Uncle TechTip

Dixons?

Pound shops always have a good range but not sure if they stretch to displayport. Plus it will be cack.

NoSleep

Maplin still do mail order even though they've evacuated the high street. They were the goto for adapter leads after Tandy disappeared before them.

Old Thrashbarg

Worth remember whenever considering purchasing from Amazon to click through here and that by doing so you're helping keep CaB going. Removes some of the guilt of using them.

lipsink

Can anyone recommend a really simple basic free video editing programme for a Mac? I did have Windows Movie Maker for my laptop but that doesn't seem to be available to download anymore. I thought my Mac would come with one but I can't seem to find anything for editing.

olliebean

Quote from: lipsink on February 24, 2020, 01:44:00 PM
Can anyone recommend a really simple basic free video editing programme for a Mac? I did have Windows Movie Maker for my laptop but that doesn't seem to be available to download anymore. I thought my Mac would come with one but I can't seem to find anything for editing.

Does iMovie not fit the bill? (I haven't used it, I just assumed it was the Mac equivalent of Windows Movie Maker.)

Zetetic

lipsink

I'm sure there must be a pretty easy solution to this, but I'm no techy, so if someone could speak slowly and carefully....

I've got a fairly basic CV created in Microsoft Office 365 on my desktop - problem is, I can't get it to attach to online job application forms.  I click 'attach file', go to 'desktop', select CV, click 'attach', then the name of the file appears on the form but there's nothing in it.

I'm, maybe stupidly, still using Windows 7 at the moment, would that have anything to do with it?

EDIT - it attaches to e-mails OK, it's just online forms

Wilbur

Try using a different web browser. Ie Chrome, Firefiox, something different from the one you are trying to attach it in.

Barry Admin

Is there anyone who can please help me with PHO and mysql stuff? I just need a couple of my scripts checked in terms of cleaning the inputs and general security precautions.

Consignia

Neither are my expertise areas (assuming you mean PHP?) but if you want, I'm happy to have a help with a code review, as certainly Web Security and penetration testing (you know looking for SQL injection, XSS scripting vulnerablities) have been things I've done professionally in the past. Usually worth running by a couple people anyway.

Barry Admin

Brilliant, yeah that's what I'm after, it's two short scripts. I'll be in touch in a few days when I can get some sleep and my head's not up my hole :-) another checker or two would be good, aye. Much appreciated.

What's the simplest way to download audio from a YouTube video?

Ideally without downloading any separate program first. There are lots of websites offering to do this, but I don't trust them.

So... what's the simplest way to download audio from a YouTube video?

NoSleep

Going to a website called http://offliberty.com

There's an option on their front page to bookmark "offliberate this" which will work on a youtube page by just selecting it from your bookmarks bar.

NattyDread 2

Could anyone help me capture a video from here - http://www.nvtv.co.uk/shows/
I'd love to get a permanent copy of one program, but I've not been able to get any software to successfully grab it. Any tips much appreciated.

hedgehog90

hedgehog90

Assuming all these videos are Vimeo, right?

- Ignore the crossed out stuff, just simply open the video and click the top left link in the video player that will take you to the video URL... (duh)

- First open the video you want to download.
- Then open Developer Tools in Chrome (press F12), go to the elements tab.
- Click on the video, this will take you to the element in the HTML.
- Scroll up until you see an iframe element that looks like this:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/394938417?title=1&amp;autoplay=1" width="960" height="auto" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

- The bit we want is the video id - 394938417
- Convert it into a valid vimeo video url: https://vimeo.com/394938417
- Check that the link works.

- Now use either an online tool or video downloader software to grab the video.
  I recommend using a tool called Youtube-DL GUI (it handles a lot more than just youtube):

https://github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui/releases

- 'youtube-dl-gui-0.4-win-portable.zip' is the one you want, or 'youtube-dl-gui-0.4-win-setup.zip' if you want to install it.
- Download, unzip, open/install (if you got the portable version you want to open 'youtube-dl-gui.exe')
- Add the url in the text box, click Add, then click the start button in the lower right (a cloud icon with an downward arrow in it)
- Done.

hedgehog90

Ah ok, the video URL for that is:
https://vimeo.com/388530034
Paste that into your video downloader of choice / youtube-dl gui (instructions above)

EDIT: Tried using Offliberty but it just hangs after the second step.
youtube-dl worked first time, no problems, highest quality etc.

the

EDIT: Bah beaten to it

Offliberty seems to take the URL by the way.

hedgehog90

While I'm here, I've got my own question for y'all / Neil.

I noticed I wasn't getting any email notifications for new posts in this thread until I had a look at it this morning, then I received a notification of NattyDread's post. But I didn't receive any email notifications between 25 Feb and today.

Were email notifications not working last week? Figured maybe as Neil is tweaking the database it might have been a bug on the server.
Or is that just how it works - if I don't check the thread regularly do I stop receiving notifications?

olliebean

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on March 05, 2020, 11:08:25 AM
Could anyone help me capture a video from here - http://www.nvtv.co.uk/shows/
I'd love to get a permanent copy of one program, but I've not been able to get any software to successfully grab it. Any tips much appreciated.

youtube-dl will download it directly using the nvtv URL, no need to get the vimeo URL first.

Barry Admin

Quote from: hedgehog90 on March 05, 2020, 11:39:32 AM

Or is that just how it works - if I don't check the thread regularly do I stop receiving notifications?

I've never used them so I really don't know.  I've had a look though and it seems the email server is shitting the bed, so I'll probably go through and just wipe all notifications as a lot of them are evidently associated with expired email addresses etc.