Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:47:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilbur

Suggest you give it a static IP address as suggested by the Honorable member Platter above.

This looks to be a reasonably easy tutorial

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

Neomod

Quote from: Wilbur on March 18, 2020, 09:30:53 AM
Suggest you give it a static IP address as suggested by the Honorable member Platter above.

This looks to be a reasonably easy tutorial

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

Ok. Just did all that with info from the connecting laptop and router. Restarted both the laptop and the router. No joy. Checked the properties again and the default gateway details had disappeared. Is this normal?

So if it's not connecting via a static IP address to my router and yet was connecting the day before last to cafe wifi I don't understand what it can be. Should I flush the dns in ipconfig?

Just to add I used exactly the same details from the other laptop. Should I have changed something?

Wilbur

You cant just give it an ip address that's been assigned to another device. Its unlikely to work.  For example if your gateway is 192.168.0.1 try giving the wireless adapter 192.168.0.177 (its unlikely the router will have picked a number that far up the range to assign to anything else). Yes you'll need to put the gateway back in and hit apply and save.

If you open a command prompt Run CMD and type ipconfig /all it will show what ip address you now have.

Neomod

Thanks so far to all for your help. Tried your suggestion Wilbur. Still no joy.

What I don't understand is that it was connecting to wifi on Monday but not this new router via wireless yesterday (it was fine via ethernet).

How can something so simple be so frustrating.

Dunno if this helps. This is the ipconfig /all when I'm connected via the ethernet.

Blumf

On the working laptop, try:

netsh wlan show interfaces

And check the radio type and channel. If the channel is high, something like over 12 IIRC, it may be your problem laptop has an old wifi adapter and can't handle that. In which case, fiddle with the router settings and drop the channel number down.

If you have an Android phone, install Wifi Analyzer which shows you what channels are busy in your area, help you pick a quiet one.

Wilbur

That screen shot shows an internal ip address not the static address. It looks to me like you've edited the IP address on the ethernet adapter not the wireless adapter. Can you check and see if thats the case ? There will be two adapters (maybe more) under the network connections.

Neomod

Quote from: Wilbur on March 18, 2020, 01:14:09 PM
That screen shot shows an internal ip address not the static address. It looks to me like you've edited the IP address on the ethernet adapter not the wireless adapter. Can you check and see if thats the case ? There will be two adapters (maybe more) under the network connections.

I should explain. I took the screengrab after the static ip address idea didn't work and so I reset the wireless adaptor back to automatic detect cos that's the main problem. The Ethernet adaptor has not been edited.

Wilbur

OK reset your IP stack

https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/resetting-network-devices-and-network-stack/

Ignore the stuff at the top. Follow the instructions halfway down the page (sorry I  dont have time to copy/paste or type out my own instructions but these look accurate).

Neomod

Quote from: Wilbur on March 18, 2020, 01:52:28 PM
OK reset your IP stack

https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/resetting-network-devices-and-network-stack/

Ignore the stuff at the top. Follow the instructions halfway down the page (sorry I  dont have time to copy/paste or type out my own instructions but these look accurate).

Thanks Wilbur, tried it but no luck I'm afraid.

Quote from: Blumf on March 18, 2020, 12:50:01 PM
On the working laptop, try:

netsh wlan show interfaces

And check the radio type and channel. If the channel is high, something like over 12 IIRC, it may be your problem laptop has an old wifi adapter and can't handle that. In which case, fiddle with the router settings and drop the channel number down.

If you have an Android phone, install Wifi Analyzer which shows you what channels are busy in your area, help you pick a quiet one.

Radio type is 'n' which the Ralink is compatible with. The channel number is 8 both on the other laptop and tablet. 

Neomod

Hmm, I just dug out an old Netgear WNA3100M - Wireless USB Adapter and it connected although it seems to be having trouble keeping up with the fibre (as it's a 10 year old piece of kit).

So does this mean my Ralink adapter died on the day I got a new router? There's no yellow x's in device manager. That's weird but It certainly points to something in the Ralink being the problem.

Wilbur

Quote from: Neomod on March 18, 2020, 04:02:15 PM
Hmm, I just dug out an old Netgear WNA3100M - Wireless USB Adapter and it connected although it seems to be having trouble keeping up with the fibre (as it's a 10 year old piece of kit).

So does this mean my Ralink adapter died on the day I got a new router? There's no yellow x's in device manager. That's weird but It certainly points to something in the Ralink being the problem.

Well there a load of settings in the adapter we can try playing with if you want and I dont think I (or anyone else) have suggested the very obvious updating the adapter drivers yet have we ?  It may be simpler to kust buy a £10 wireless A USB adapter......

Neomod

Yeah, the driver is the most recent.

Any recommendations for a usb wifi adapter that can handle dual band Fibre.

This any good?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3389780

Wilbur

Dual band fibre is a bit of a red herring. They will only operate at the speed of the wireless and that will probably be further limited by your laptop. Any of those USB adapters should be just fine.

seepage

Quote from: tao of wub on March 18, 2020, 12:41:35 AM
Ooops!  Failing to read properly*. 

That is odd, also the safe mode business.  The rocker switch on the PSU will be in line with the euro plug connectors so in theory should be behaving the same as the wall socket. 

Looking at some photos in the Anandtech.com review I can see that the unit has ceramic Y-type safety capacitors at the switch, (blue ones in the photo I'm looking at).

These will be connected between the neutral and earth and live and earth.  It could be that they are going bad or that the solder joints are cracked and when you use the PSU rocker switch it is disturbing the solder joints.  There should be an X-type safety cap between the live and neutral too.  You could try using the wall socket to turn off then on and seeing if you can induce failure by tapping smartly near the PSU switch prior to boot up.

If you are handy with a soldering iron you could re-flow the safety cap solder joints? 

It could be the switch parts are failing and causing some degree of arcing?  Have you tried giving the switch a good agitation or some deoxit when the wall plug is off?

You could give it all the visual once over for loose connectors and bulging capacitors but it does sound like you could be looking for a replacement soon.

I had what I thought was a bad PSU once, it had some auto protection circuitry and would not stay switched on.  I swapped it out for  a simple non-protecting model and watched the carbon resistors on the mother board pop and burn like some crappy indoor fireworks display.  New board and original PSU was fine!

*Hope my English teacher isn't on here.  Then again she would be 100% inebriated, based on past behavior, so probably I'm in the clear!  Hi Miss L, did you ever escape The White Horse so you could come to double English after lunch?  I doubt it...

Thanks for the reply. Bought another PSU when I had the initial dust issue and accidently on purpose forgot to return it before the cut-off, so I've got a spare.

Neomod

Quote from: Wilbur on March 18, 2020, 04:51:48 PM
Dual band fibre is a bit of a red herring. They will only operate at the speed of the wireless and that will probably be further limited by your laptop. Any of those USB adapters should be just fine.

Maybe it needed to time to stabilise (or something) but the Netgear USB is working like a dream now. Thanks for your help Wilbur. Much appreciated.

the

Quick question:

The other day I installed .NET Framework 4.8 (it was required for another programme).

I've just noticed that a folder containing files for it ended up on an external drive (god knows how).

I suspect this folder contains only temporarily-extracted setup files - so can I delete it? Or will I open a can of fuck?

Contents:

Wilbur

You can almost certainly delete it. Leave it in the trash for a few days just in case the programmers have done some weird shit so that you put it back if it all goes tu.

hedgehog90

Yeah, looks like temporary setup files. Safe to delete.
Might want to keep them if you need to repair or change some features, but probably not necessary.

the

Cheers all. God knows how the installer put them on that drive, I certainly wouldn't have told it to extract there.

pancreas

Does anyone know how it's possible that I can connect to cookdandbombd but everything else is not connecting: google, guardian, ft, twitter, facebook?

Works through VPN...

pancreas

BlodwynPig

Apologies Barry
-------------

Very niche query.

I'm trying to submit a manuscript to a journal online. Their submission system says that at this stage you can submit a PDF file instead of Latex source until after review. However, this morning I got a message that they want the .tex file now.

I wrote the manuscript using Overleaf and there is a single style file not available with TexLive. However, I can't compile on my local machine as for some reason a load of Sty files are missing. I haven't used local latex for a few years so am trying to update by getting macTex, but broadband is slow, so 4GB is going to take a day to download.

I contacted the journal help and their very useful advice was "submit a word document". Fuck them.

This may not elicit a response, but has anyone had experience of Elsevier or other journal submission systems and latex?

For information: I use .tex file in Manuscript and have tried both an archive and individual files as Latex Source Files.

It looks like the compilation may only be using the Manuscript file and, thus, not seeing the other source files (the only errors I see in the output indicate this).

Thanks

Zetetic

BlodwynPig

NattyDread 2

My 10 year old laptop is becoming a right pain in the arse to use so I've bought an SSD and intend on ditching Windows for Linux. I'll be using the old drive as storage as the SSD is only 120gb. I presume I won't be able to read anything on it if I just left it as it is? Any tips for backing stuff up?

Hand Solo

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on April 04, 2020, 02:24:52 PM
My 10 year old laptop is becoming a right pain in the arse to use so I've bought an SSD and intend on ditching Windows for Linux. I'll be using the old drive as storage as the SSD is only 120gb. I presume I won't be able to read anything on it if I just left it as it is? Any tips for backing stuff up?

You can get a WiFi adapter that plugs into your old HD and access to anything off it through wireless, so you could access your files or stream music and movies etc easily. Would make it easy to copy files across, too. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-98243-MediaShare-Wireless/dp/B00CZ0P0PS/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=wireless+hdd+adapter&qid=1586025568&sr=8-4

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Hand Solo on April 04, 2020, 07:39:49 PM
You can get a WiFi adapter that plugs into your old HD and access to anything off it through wireless, so you could access your files or stream music and movies etc easily. Would make it easy to copy files across, too. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-98243-MediaShare-Wireless/dp/B00CZ0P0PS/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=wireless+hdd+adapter&qid=1586025568&sr=8-4

what about latex?

actually I solved it...fucking cretins on here (me). ;0)

NattyDread 2

Quote from: Hand Solo on April 04, 2020, 07:39:49 PM

Smart! That may be just the thing. Ta!

Hand Solo

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on April 05, 2020, 12:39:03 AM
Smart! That may be just the thing. Ta!

I had the same problem due to buying a thin touchscreen laptop with a small hard drive. But I just have a few USB sticks and SD cards that I plug into my WiFi adapter to stream music or videos off without having to copy them directly across to access. If you're wanting to plug a HDD directly into one though you'll need a USB to SATA cable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Benfei-Driver-Adapter-Compatible-USB-3-0-Sata/dp/B07F7WDZGT/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=r3r1MkWRyQADQ-N57Vg.yw&hsa_cr_id=4445881480602&ref_=sb_s_sparkle

If you don't need to access the stuff on the drive that often you can just plus the HDD directly into your laptop using the above wire on its own. But since I like to stream music and move my laptop around it's a bother to have something plugged into it in certain circumstances.

Also if you have a fairly modern router (which I don't) you can just plug your USB stick or HDD into the USB port and have wireless access to your files: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOhMxPTyWMk

lipsink

Can anyone advise with storage space running out on their phone? Keep deleting apps and photos and don't really think I've got that much on there anyway. Anyway I keep getting the message saying its running out. Is there a setting I can change to free up more space?