Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:06:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilbur

Are you really connected or is it just bringing back cached content ? Can you get to something you've not browsed before ? Or you can go back to the command prompt and type ping www.bbc.co.uk and see if you get a reply.

If sfc can't repair the files then I'd do a Windows 10 repair but you'll need to confirm if you actually have an internet connection on it first.

Wilbur

If you get a reply from the ping then run an Admininistrator command prompt again and then type this DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

popcorn

I managed to get Worms Armageddon running on Mac + CrossOver by installing Steam separately. But...

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 18, 2020, 12:19:27 AM

Unforunately Wine on Mac has issues, one rendering engine can display everything except the cursor (or something along those lines, I forget but one done the things the other needed, x11 and whatever wine's default one is), the other one can only display the cursor.

I have exactly this problem - only the cursor is displayed. Disappointing as WA is listed as "Runs Great!" on the CrossOver site.

There's a note on that page saying the Steam version "Needs 'Land in VRAM enabled in Options >> Advanced" but I've no idea what options menu that's referring to.

QuoteI'm _pretty_ sure it'll work on windows 8 or above virtual machine with no issues, if you can get a virtual machine that takes up less than 5gb running it and connecting let me know cos I wanna get some mac friends using it...

I might try a VM at some point later, depending on desperate I get. Never tried one before.

Famous Mortimer

The worst thing is, not understanding why anything works or doesn't. After the help from Wilbur, and seemingly at random after the tenth try, the PC asked me if I wanted to reset the network driver. Sure, I said, and eventually every problem has been solved. The updates are working, some of the file sharing is working, and it all seems fine. No fucking idea.

So, cheers Wilbur.

peanutbutter

Quote from: popcorn on May 18, 2020, 07:47:09 PM
I have exactly this problem - only the cursor is displayed. Disappointing as WA is listed as
So just scrolling through my command history, I think the command I used to fix that was ```winetricks macdriver=x11``` (requires macdriver to be installed), this requires xquartz to be installed and all that shit, I think it's the old driver Wine used and the Mac related tweaks are based on an old version of Wine, but as that led to other issues with the cursor I just reverted back to the default driver via ```winetricks macdriver=mac```.

I wonder if just using an old version of Wine would resolve it?

Wilbur

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 18, 2020, 08:39:13 PM
The worst thing is, not understanding why anything works or doesn't. After the help from Wilbur, and seemingly at random after the tenth try, the PC asked me if I wanted to reset the network driver. Sure, I said, and eventually every problem has been solved. The updates are working, some of the file sharing is working, and it all seems fine. No fucking idea.

So, cheers Wilbur.

My pleasure. there isnt really a lot of mileage in knowing why Windows fucks up but its partly because its has to be so versatile  in as much as anyone can write any old software and install it and install virtually any hardware so its impossible to test it properly (this is one of the reasons why Mac OSX has a reputation as being better although that's slipping). The dism restore essentially reinstalls the core of Windows 10 so its like an inline re-installation and once its done it will rebuild all the drivers and download and re-install all the necessary updates , there are various dism options but you'll inevitably end up running the restore health one anyway. On the rare occasion that doesnt work a full wipe and re-install is the last (and often quicker) option......

NoSleep

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 18, 2020, 12:19:27 AM
I've got the actual CD, the non OSX one. Just checked Karagarga there, must've totally missed they had this one up there too before I got it.

Just a thought, although your curiosity has probably been sated by the flash version; have you tried Sheepshaver, the PPC/MacOS emulator?

Captain Z

Quote from: VegaLA on May 18, 2020, 01:00:08 AM
I have the dreaded (0x80080005) problem with Win 10. I googled the issue and jumped through their hoops but still no joy. I have the Auto updates turned off so I can pick and choose when and what to update but this is a pretty new specced out Tower so not sure how i got here. I would just reinstall Windows 10 but the seller never provided the Disc. I thought that was illegal ?
Anyone know of a cure for the (0x80080005) bug?

Cheers in advance.

I've avoided Windows 10 like the plague, but I don't think I've ever had an installation disc supplied with any PC or laptop I've ever bought. Anyway, you don't need a disc to reinstall these days, just begin the procedure and it should give you numerous options (complete reinstall, keep files, partition...etc). Of course, I would definitely recommend you make a written note of your licence number and backup your files just in case.

VegaLA

Quote from: Captain Z on May 19, 2020, 11:52:17 AM
I've avoided Windows 10 like the plague, but I don't think I've ever had an installation disc supplied with any PC or laptop I've ever bought. Anyway, you don't need a disc to reinstall these days, just begin the procedure and it should give you numerous options (complete reinstall, keep files, partition...etc). Of course, I would definitely recommend you make a written note of your licence number and backup your files just in case.

Cheers Captain! I may have to go the reinstall route then. All my files are backed up and fortunately I do not have too many programs/apps to reinstall but still a bugger....

popcorn

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 19, 2020, 02:48:37 AM
So just scrolling through my command history, I think the command I used to fix that was ```winetricks macdriver=x11``` (requires macdriver to be installed), this requires xquartz to be installed and all that shit, I think it's the old driver Wine used and the Mac related tweaks are based on an old version of Wine, but as that led to other issues with the cursor I just reverted back to the default driver via ```winetricks macdriver=mac```.

I wonder if just using an old version of Wine would resolve it?

Cheers for this - unfortunately it sounds way beyond my technical ken...