Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:19:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: lipsink on February 16, 2013, 02:19:39 PM
Hey, was wondering if anyone can help with this probably very simple enquiry.

How do I free up hard drive space on drive C:?

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but have you tried running the Disk Cleanup tool?

Blumf

Be ruthless and uninstall any programs you don't use or know what it is.

Delete stuff some the TEMP folders.

mcbpete

Apart from the obvious (i.e. just delete unneeded files from it !), I'm guessing you mean getting rid of crap junk files, temporary internet files etc. in which case I recommend the free and ace CrapCleaner (now just CCleaner) - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

gabrielconroy

RE: Uninstalling, I recommend downloading the free Revo Uninstaller and instead of using the native Windows one. It's better at removing all associated files and registry entries.

lipsink

Thanks everyone. I just did the Disk Cleanup and that seems to have done the trick.

Blumf

Quote from: lipsink on February 16, 2013, 03:57:25 PM
Thanks everyone. I just did the Disk Cleanup and that seems to have done the trick.

We demand stats!! How much space, on what size disk?

Puffin Chunks

Edit: bugger, didn't see the new page. Ah well, I've written it now.

The obvious answer is delete stuff and empty the recycle bin.

You can access the Disk Cleanup Utility by opening My Computer. Right Clicking the C: drive and hitting 'Disk Cleanup'.

It's a little difficult knowing what else you can do without knowing the details of your setup. However as some general rules:

- Consider partitioning your hard disk. A smaller partition (30-60GB) for the OS and Programmes and a larger partition for data.
- If you already have a Data partition, then Windows tends to default 'My Documents' to your C: drive (under the Users folder). It's a good idea to move it to your data partition. Do this by navigating to the folders you want to move (Music, Downloads, Documents etc.) Right click the folder. Click the Location tab and specify a new location.

gabrielconroy

Talking about partitions - I have one 1TB HDD on my computer. At first I put W7 32 bit on it, and last year upgraded to 64-bit to use 8 gigs of RAM. Because I wasn't sure if all my programs and VSTs would work in 64 bit I installed it as a dual boot on a new partition.

Now I want to delete the 32-bit OS, and shrink the 64 bit partition down to around 60 gigs. Is there a best way of doing this? Can I just manually delete the Windows folder for the 32 bit version, or should I do some more involved uninstall process?

Puffin Chunks

Use Easeus Partiton Manager for all your partition needs. Will let you shrink/expand/format to your heart's content and it's free:

http://www.partition-tool.com/

As for removing 32-bit Windows, I suspect it may depend on whether it's the primary OS, but I'll let someone who has more experience of dual booting answer that bit so I don't bugger your install up.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Blumf on February 15, 2013, 11:47:18 AM
Here's a website that allows you to spec up a PC and it'll give you an estimate for it's power consumption.
I think I may have picked a ludicrously powerful processor, so it's a bit too much juice for a pico-PSU. Still, good to know for next time, when I build a PC inside something even more stupid.

All the parts are now bought, and building will be done this weekend.

Hank Venture

I want something that'll convert .flac to the more convenient .mp3 please. For mac.

NoSleep

The question is how a mac user could have lived without XLD up until now[nb]Also rips CDs using CDparanoia as well as a bunch of other stuff[/nb]? In the future there will be no mp3's.

weekender

I think my question boils down to this:

Where the fucking hell is the HDMI 'IN' socket for a Panasonic p50g30b?

Also, what is ARC?

weekender

Right, I think I've got this.

My new home cinema system is set up in such a way that the audio out channel currently goes from the DVD player directly to the speakers.  So when I'm watching DVDs, this is great and I get lovely surround sound - but I don't get the surround sound when watching TV normally.  Now, I think this is because the TV cannot send the audio out signal to the DVD player via the HDMI cable unless both of the machines support ARC - and as far as I can tell only my TV does.

Therefore my conclusion is that in order for the TV to send the audio signal to the DVD player (and therefore to the home cinema speakers), it needs another connection - I think this is probably a Digital Optical Cable.  This will go from the 'Digital Audio Out' port on the TV, into the 'Optical In' port on the DVD player (which in an ideal fucking world would be called a 'Digital Audio In' port thus ensuring consistency of terms and easy understanding; fuck you manufacturers). 

Theoretically I could also use the available RCA stereo connectors in the same fashion ('Audio Out' on TV to 'Audio In' on DVD player), but this is likely to result in a slightly lower sound quality because they're analogue and therefore the Digital Optical Cable is probably the best option. 

Am I right?  Are there any flaws in my understanding?

Blumf

Basically. You'll probably have to enable the audio out on the TV (or at least disable the TV's speakers), there'll be options buried in a menu somewhere.

weekender

I've found an option to change the speaker output on the TV from 'TV' to 'Home Cinema', which should hopefully do it once I've picked up a cable.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Hangthebuggers

Having recently got hold of a second hand computer, I keep getting the following error.

'the procedure entry point_except_handler4_common msvcrt.dll' this happens only upon start up.

and I also get this.

'error loading P17RuneE.dll'

I'd probably just reinstall windows but I don't have the disk and the computer has some nifty software on there that I don't wanna lose.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

gabrielconroy

For the first one (from Yahoo Answers):

download msvcrt.dll from http://www.opendll.com/index.php?file-download=msvcrt.dll&arch=32Bit&version=7.0.7100.0&dsc=Windows-NT-CRT-DLL and extract to System32.

The second one sounds like it's something to with an update that caused conflicts. You could try disabling it from trying to run at startup altogether, since you presumably don't want to do something like system restore.

weekender

Quote from: Blumf on February 22, 2013, 10:45:57 AM
Basically. You'll probably have to enable the audio out on the TV (or at least disable the TV's speakers), there'll be options buried in a menu somewhere.

Actually, it turns out that what I have to do is turn the DVD player OFF, then the audio signal from the TV routes through to the speakers without any problems.

I can't believe you didn't suggest that.

I wouldn't mind so much but I've got a waterlogged deaf right ear from swimming so can't hear the fucking thing properly anyway.

Consignia

I was thinking of getting a new desktop computer, either pre-built or assemble something myself. My primary driver is to have a dual screen setup which my withering current desktop would need a rather large upgrade to support, so I thought, why not just get a whole new system. The trouble is, I'm rather out of touch with hardware, so I don't know what sort of components to look for, so I'd be grateful for any recommendations. In particular, I'd like any recommendations for the video card. I believe nearly any one these days will do for dual screens, but I'd like a decent one. I'll be sticking Ubuntu on it, if that makes any difference to compatibility.

Any help or advice would much appericated, thanks.

weekender

What specifically do you want to do on this set up?  Why do you need a dual screen?

I'm not saying I'll be much help, but I think these are questions that people will find useful when determining their answers.

Consignia

I'm a web developer, so dual screens are real nice thing to have for debugging purposes. I don't do a lot outside of work at the moment, but I'd like to have some nice kit at home to play with on technologies I don't get to touch at work. I just like dual screens as well. It wouldn't need to be gaming quality, but I'd need more than a budget computer, I think.

weekender

Consignia

£800-1000. I'm hoping not to spend much more than that for the entire setup (including the 2 monitors).

Sorry, I know I should have been a bit more descriptive in the first post.

Wilbur

Quote from: Consignia on February 22, 2013, 08:09:06 PM
£800-1000. I'm hoping not to spend much more than that for the entire setup (including the 2 monitors).

Sorry, I know I should have been a bit more descriptive in the first post.

Loads of options in that price range. I'd suggest an i5 3500 home build with a SSD and a SATA 6 data drive and 16mb Ram. Stick it all in a SZ77 motherboard. Graphics card can be fairly low end if you dont want to game probably be decided on wether you want dual hdmi or DVI and or VGA.

Consignia

Thanks. I was only initially thinking of just a normal hard drive, do you think think it's worth getting an SSD in addition? I'm rather ambivalent about the graphics output. I was thinking about DVI, but a quick google suggests I might as well go for HDMI.