Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:17:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vrailaine

MojoJojo

Sorry, me being an idiot.

I don't do that sort of stuff, but I'd suggest printing out the expanded statement (all variables expanded etc) and then trying to get it to work in an interactive shell of some kind.

Zetetic

Can you show us what $newPsql looks like before you try to feed into into mysql_query?

Nuclear Optimism

Is there anyway to make the music on a Samsung Galaxy S3 louder? I've got a few songs which are quite quiet and even at full volume they're a little bit faint, which is shit when you're on a spluttering bus (and you have to put up with a popup warning that you're going to do permanent damage to your ears). Failing that, is there any way to increase the loudness of mp3s?

vrailaine

Quote from: Zetetic on February 27, 2013, 12:03:27 AM
Can you show us what $newPsql looks like before you try to feed into into mysql_query?
INSERT INTO Patient (PatientID, Name, Address1, Address2, County, DOB, Phone, EMail, Password)
VALUES ('1234455', 'NameName', 'address1', '', 'Donegal', '2007-10-10'', '12345567', 'email@email.com', '5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99')

'2007-10-10''
Wow! I'm actually a genuine moron, there's a quotation that I've closed down in the select data options, but never opened, so it was taking in "10'" instead of "10".

Amazing.

HappyTree

Oh bloody hell, man. "I know," I said to myself, "I'll install Steam today and give PC gaming a chance after all. I mean, people say that it works ok and I'm silly for cowering behind my "it just works" console.

Install Steam. Login. I even remembered my account name from 2 years ago when I last logged in. Settings, aha. "Big Picture" what's that? Google. Aha, a nice UI for a telly. I have a telly as monitor 2, that's brill. Check box to activate Big Picture.

Cloud synch? Nah, no likey cloud. Disable that. Oh, Steam wants to restart now to make the changes. Ok. Restart.

Hello?

Hellooooo. Restart, not just stop.
Ok, click on Steam icon again. Won't load. Again. Still nothing. Oh look, it tries to load but then suddenly decided not to. A little annoying since my Xbox 360 ....wait for it....JUST WORKS!

I presume from now Googling Big Picture that I shouldn't have done that, for some reason. Nice of the Steam program to tell me about this.

So how do I launch Steam without BP activated? How can I change my settings if I can't launch the Steam app?

I suspect me and PC gaming were never meant to be.

Wilbur

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on February 28, 2013, 07:12:05 AM
uninstall it and reinstall it?

Seems like a plan. Just tested it on my PC and it lts me turn it off and on with no problems. If uninstalling doesnt work try a system restore.

HappyTree

Reinstall. "Steam big picture is not supported on your platform." Nice to know. Probably best to inform the user of this before rather than after. Oh well.

Is there any way to get rid of those twitter "promotion tweets"?

Does every fucking thing have to contain adverts now?

I'm not interested in your promotion. I'm not that suggestible. Fuck off.

Quote from: Nuclear Optimism on February 27, 2013, 04:13:06 AM
Is there anyway to make the music on a Samsung Galaxy S3 louder?

For ringtones download and install Audacity for free.

If you're using Windows you'll also need to download the LAME mp3 codec in order to save your ringtone as mp3. Don't worry, it's all explained on the Audacity site.

Then load up your ringtone in Audacity, play around with the volume level to get it louder. Export as mp3 and transfer back to your phone.

You may need to experiment with different volume levels to avoid the waveform being chopped off too much at peak volume and ending up sounding bad.

For music you can use MP3Gain, which can level (or normalise) the volume of your entire music collection. It achieves this by inserting metadata at the start of each mp3 file, so it doesn't actually alter the dynamic of your songs. Once it's analysed an mp3 you can adjust the decibel offset level to suit you.

MojoJojo

Quote from: HappyTree on February 28, 2013, 09:53:46 PM
Reinstall. "Steam big picture is not supported on your platform." Nice to know. Probably best to inform the user of this before rather than after. Oh well.

Can I ask what your platform is? I thought BigPicture was supported by pretty much everything.

HappyTree

XP, 3 gig. I suspect it's my graphics card that is a big long in the tooth. 4 years old, would that be too long ago? Plays all videos fine, though the computer does struggle with 1080p. But I find 720p to be perfectly sharp as the TV monitor's resolution is set at 1360 x 768 anyway. It can go up to 1920 x 1080 (that's 1080p, right?) but that makes everything far too small to see from the couch.

MojoJojo

Nah, XP isn't supported - Vista Service Pack 2 is the earliest OS they support. XP is pretty old now - released 3 years before the Xbox 360, and hasn't been sold for 5 years.

Still shit it tried to install it though.

HappyTree

Yeah, I got this plooter 4 years ago and specifically asked not to have Vista, so the guy searched around for XP for me. I have 7 on my laptop which is great, but for the desktop I'm loath to change as I have everything just the way I want it with bigger fonts and things so I can read easily from about 2m back. Saves the eyes.

I made the mistake of updating Skype and it has everything so tiny I can't see a bloody thing. But then I have a general gripe about how difficult it is to enlarge fonts in computer UIs. My eyes are perfect but I want them to stay that way and not strain them all day!

Zetetic

Quote from: HappyTree on March 02, 2013, 06:16:17 PM
But then I have a general gripe about how difficult it is to enlarge fonts in computer UIs. My eyes are perfect but I want them to stay that way and not strain them all day!
Have you changed the DPI settings ('To increase or decrease the size of objects and text on your screen'), or just made the fonts bigger?

HappyTree

Yeah, put it up to 120% I think. But that has the side-effect of making the text run out of some dialogue boxes that have not been designed to adapt. I find this on a lot of websites too, if they're poorly set up then magnifying the text up about 5 notches makes everything go ape-crazy on all fours.

Wilbur

Quote from: HappyTree on March 02, 2013, 07:51:20 PM
Yeah, put it up to 120% I think. But that has the side-effect of making the text run out of some dialogue boxes that have not been designed to adapt. I find this on a lot of websites too, if they're poorly set up then magnifying the text up about 5 notches makes everything go ape-crazy on all fours.

Afraid you really need to bite the bullet and dump xp. Support ceases next year. Grab a copy of 7 while you can.

weekender

Quote from: Wilbur on March 02, 2013, 08:49:20 PM
Afraid you really need to bite the bullet and dump xp. Support ceases next year. Grab a copy of 7 while you can.

Wilbur, what are your thoughts on future Windows adoption for the business user? 

How long do you thing support for 7 will last, given that 8 doesn't seem to be going down that greatly?

Wilbur

I have no idea wtf ms are thinking of with 8. It's a fucking mess. If they have any sense they will ship an update which disables all the tablet crap or fix it in windows 9 very quickly. It really beggars belief.

Wilbur

Quote from: weekender on March 02, 2013, 09:01:07 PM
Wilbur, what are your thoughts on future Windows adoption for the business user? 

How long do you thing support for 7 will last, given that 8 doesn't seem to be going down that greatly?

Sorry missed the important bit. Support for 7 will be around for a while, probably a lot longer than they admit atm unless they fix the 8 debacle very quickly.

HappyTree

I've seen the front screens for Windows phones and they have large green squares. Not my idea of a good phone system, but at least it's suited to the purpose.

The Xbox dashboard is horrible and full of adverts, but it's still ok I suppose for the purpose of playing games and stuff.

So why is Win 8 the same? Why even try to force people to use the green square thing on a desktop computer? The lack of options seems to indicate that MS believe they're so powerful they can dictate to the public what it will use. Maybe that's true to some extent. But Apple have an iOS and an Alpine Goat or whatever animal it is today for their desktop machines.

Why can't MS just have a different OS for phones and tablets, and another one for desktop? Is it really that they're trying to force us all into their portable world?

Quote from: Wilbur on March 02, 2013, 09:07:01 PM
fix it in windows 9 very quickly

Are you referring to Windows Blue?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Blue-What-We-Know-So-Far-322529.shtml

Win8 upgrades being so cheap (at least initially) would make sense if they copy the Apple model of updating every year or so, for lower prices.

Wilbur

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on March 02, 2013, 09:50:27 PM
Are you referring to Windows Blue?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Blue-What-We-Know-So-Far-322529.shtml

Win8 upgrades being so cheap (at least initially) would make sense if they copy the Apple model of updating every year or so, for lower prices.

I'd not seen that but it seems to be pure speculation. Companies with staff who ring the helpdesk when an icon is out of place are not going to adopt W8 in its present form. I'm hoping MS will react in a similar way they did when Vista was panned and fix it in the next release.

MojoJojo

Quote from: HappyTree on March 02, 2013, 09:49:33 PM
So why is Win 8 the same? Why even try to force people to use the green square thing on a desktop computer? The lack of options seems to indicate that MS believe they're so powerful they can dictate to the public what it will use. Maybe that's true to some extent. But Apple have an iOS and an Alpine Goat or whatever animal it is today for their desktop machines.

Why can't MS just have a different OS for phones and tablets, and another one for desktop? Is it really that they're trying to force us all into their portable world?

A lot of analysts seem to think smartphones/desktops are going to converge - it's been suggested Apple are going to go that route [nb] I think this is probably wrong since it seems to be based on the observation that smartphones have enough processor omph to do what most people do on desktops/laptops nowadays, which completely ignores all the issues[/nb].

But MS love the idea because it gives them a way to leverage their desktop monopoly to try and get somewhere on mobile.

Quote from: Wilbur on March 03, 2013, 02:57:06 PM
I'd not seen that but it seems to be pure speculation. Companies with staff who ring the helpdesk when an icon is out of place are not going to adopt W8 in its present form. I'm hoping MS will react in a similar way they did when Vista was panned and fix it in the next release.

To be fair to MS - there really isn't anything they could do to please the people confused by an icon moving.

Wilbur

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 03, 2013, 05:04:19 PM
To be fair to MS - there really isn't anything they could do to please the people confused by an icon moving.

My point is that the changes in 8 are big enough to need considerable time and money to train staff to use for little obvious gain.

Nuclear Optimism

On the Guardian website, when I hover over an article I get this little notice called See Similar. On clicking, it brings up this bollocks called Savings-Deal Magnet, providing links to various products. "Hang on," I thought "This is dodgy. This isn't just some Guardian ad thingy."

Oddly, the bugger actually provides info on how to get rid if it: Firefox -> Add ons -> extension -> savings magnet -> remove.

The problem? When I look in extensions the bloody thing isn't there. How do I get it to fuck off?

Dusty Gozongas

Have a look in Control Panel>Programs and Features. It's quite common for that sort of crap to install there rather than in Firefox Add-ons.

If not, you could try installing/uninstalling the add-on again.

Nuclear Optimism

I've gone to Uninstall a program and the fucker isn't there.

Big Jack McBastard

If you're on XP

C:\Documents and Settings\(Your username)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(Letters and numbers).default\extensions

May provide you with something to tear at.

Newer OS then...  C:\(Your username)\AppData\[nb]Might be 'C:\(Your username)\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles etc etc[/nb]Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and so on and so on.