Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:57:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AllMusicGuide is all changed, put it back, put it back!

Started by Neil, July 13, 2004, 03:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Argh, I was just visiting www.allmusic.com and they have implemented their threat of changing it all.  This is one of my absolute fave sites on the net and one that I use an awful lot.  I'm trying not to say "it's shit!" before I have a good sniff round it and get used to the new look, but after trying to get an artists discography it would seem that you now have to register to use the site.  Hmm.  Out of interest, are there any other great sites like this where you can get info about an artist and  reviews of all their albums which you can actually trust?

i don't think you need to register. Just click the tabs at the top.

I much preferred the old version. They've shortened all the profiles now which means clicking 'more' all the fucking time. grrrrrr.

Joy Nktonga

It's still the slowest website I've ever visited. Damn this 56k connection!

Neil

Quote from: "9"i don't think you need to register. Just click the tabs at the top.

Ah right, I just had another play with it and it seems that you do need to register for some of the content to work!  Like if you click Songs then it asks you to log in.  

QuoteI much preferred the old version. They've shortened all the profiles now which means clicking 'more' all the fucking time. grrrrrr.

Yes, everything is all split up now, which is very annoying, you used to get a biog of the artist, their albums and ratings, and song highlights, all on the one page, but now it's split over lots of different ones.  Bastards.

Has anyone else noticed that it now looks completely fucked up in Opera? This is not good at all.

Dirty Boy

Arrrrggghhhhh it's horrible!

Have they deleted all the album reviews then? i can get a discog easily enough, but the album text isn't linkable.In fact most of it isn't clickable therefore it's fucking impenetrable.What a pile of unresponsive shite...

Peking O

This site is a lot better than AMG in my opinion. It also allows you to organize your collections of DVDs, CDs, etc. online.

http://www.guzzlefish.com/

the hum

My sentiments precisely.  Visited it last night and wondered why it was taking an eternity to load (I'm on 56k), only to be confronted with the dreaded makeover.

phalmachine

Yep, that's no improvement at all.  It does seems to be running even slower, and J.E.E.P. by the Stereochronics still has a 4 star rating.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but did it didn't used to have song samples did it?  That's an improvement then.

Quote from: "Dirty Boy"Arrrrggghhhhh it's horrible!

Have they deleted all the album reviews then? i can get a discog easily enough, but the album text isn't linkable.In fact most of it isn't clickable therefore it's fucking impenetrable.What a pile of unresponsive shite...

The album reviews are clickable, all the old content is still there.

And there are still song samples, but I think you now have to register (for free) to get them.

I actually don't mind the new design, some parts are annoying, such as the reduced space given to biographies and album reviews which mean that you have to click "Read More" a lot more often, but overall I think it does look better. It is a lot slower though. And sort out Opera compatibility!!

Dirty Boy

Erm...my computer must be fucked then 'cos it isn't accepting the text as a link, in fact the only thing it's permiting me to do is use the 'search' function *confused*

Anyone know what might be up with it? I've had no similar probs with any other site