Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:48:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Old Skool Hardcore/Rave Tune Dumping Ground Thread-a-Go-Go

Started by Puffin Chunks, February 19, 2013, 01:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

I'm on a bit of a Kickin Records tip, so here's another with a fine use of a Guns 'n' Roses samples and excerpts from the film The Devils. I also love the synthy section at 3.05 that is just one of those pure rave sounds

"You're accused of being in league with the Devil!!!"

Wishdokta - Evil Surrounds Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AyPFXwvjrE

I used to play Wishdokta - Banana Sausage back then for the Energy Fish sample.

https://youtu.be/SGzNneguOeE

Listening to it now for the first time in 25+ years you can see how Grant Nelson went on to make such amazing UK garage.

Used to rock this in Our Price when I worked there 90/91

I could down a Vinyl Solution rabbit hole and lose a day, so many great tunes.

Secret weapon VS tune I used to play, an Italian piano sounding tune that manages to sample Prince & Black Sabbath.

The Formula - Exploded

https://youtu.be/1R36I6NIdI0

Bizarre Inc mix of John Rocca from Freez

Midi Rain - Eyes

https://youtu.be/sxx7gWBHg00

Then there's all the J Saul Kane releases

monkfromhavana

My favourite track on VS is probably one of Kane's remixes under the name of Mr. Raucous

Eon - What Is Music (Mr. Raucous Remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-jjJwiWBYY

This 1992 one is lots of apache breaks with Papua New Guinea-ish vibes, t'was quite different at the time.

Freedom Of Sound - A Big Kiss

https://youtu.be/-WE_6N9xVrM

monkfromhavana

Absolutely fantastic mix from Parks & Wilson at The Eclipse in Coventry in '91. The kind of music you didn't get in 1992, a mix of anthems, breakbeats, mentasm techno, piano belters, commercial & progressive house and all round amazingness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfAiJNEcVc0

stranger

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 12, 2018, 06:41:22 PM
Absolutely fantastic mix from Parks & Wilson at The Eclipse in Coventry in '91. The kind of music you didn't get in 1992, a mix of anthems, breakbeats, mentasm techno, piano belters, commercial & progressive house and all round amazingness.

Nice, will give this a listen. I'm really into the 1991 sound at the moment.

Here's another mix worth checking out. Ratty with a new (hopefully regular) online show 'No Anthems'. This is classic 92-93 Ratty selection but if you're a fan then it's definitely worth a listen. First time I've ever heard him speak too. He was easily my favourite DJ back in the 90s, always used to play stuff no-one else did and had ridiculous skills on the decks.

https://www.keakie.co.uk/shows/ep/session-one

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 12, 2018, 06:41:22 PM

That's really well done, bit fast for my taste - they must have been pushing +8 for the whole thing, which would have made it really hard to mix (or someone sped the tape up)

The Yo Bots/TC 1991/Toxic 2/FSOL section reminds me of the tunes I was playing in '91 - truly a great year.

monkfromhavana

I see DJ Seduction is out of retirement again. New label and 2 new releases (vinyl or DL).

https://21stcenturyimpact.databeats.com/store

There are samples of all 4 tracks on the website, and in my opinion, these tracks are so dull as not to register. Still, at least there aren't any vocals on the tracks, just boring pianos (I love pianos on dance tracks) and beats that sounds like they were made around Slipmatt & Bunter's ravebreaks period.

Christ, I wish I could make music or had the patience to learn.

monkfromhavana

Utterly brilliant jungle from 1994, very overlooked because it was on Kickin Records rather that a more 'scene' label

Rugged Professor - Shut Up Bwoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPo2j9-gxMY

The intro is great, almost slightly medieval

Roger Butler, the man behind it, is one of my favourite producers and always had an ear for a nice melody, which is something under-appreciated in jungle.

I really like this track from the beginning of the year, definitely got the '92 flavour.

Liu Chang - False Start

https://youtu.be/kZMEe645qKw

the

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 15, 2018, 09:37:42 PMChrist, I wish I could make music or had the patience to learn.

I still think you should have a crack at it.

I did a few little bits of sampling recently, and last night in a depressive fug I mustered up the energy to try noodling around with them. Came out with two thoroughly-uninspired-but-serviceable rave groove starting points. Not sure what I'm trying to say... I guess, even when you're not really trying you can come up with stuff if you've got some material to work with and some simple tools you're comfortable with.

Then building it and taking it somewhere is the stimulating part.

Being in the early days of creating your own music is also really exciting, because you're flying by the seat of your pants, and you're not necessarily putting everything you make to the tests that you might when you're more seasoned and directed. This can result in some really exciting, urgent, impulsive, ballsy stuff.

monkfromhavana

Old skool set of the week

Sasha @ Delight at Shelleys in Stoke-On-Trent sometime in November 1990.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caBujci1ygY

Tracklisting below - never listened to many Sasha sets before so decided to dip into it. Not massively for me, the set all seems to be a bit disjointed, probably due to this era being the crossroads between house/techno/hardcore. Can't say I was massively impressed by it, but if anyone can recommend any others, let me know.

Tracklist:

The Chosen - Visions of Rhythm - [Fokus Recordings]
    Robin Wants Revenge – Robin Wants Revenge - [R & R Record Review]
    Spectrum – Brazil - [R & S Records]
    A Homeboy, A Hippie and A Funky Dredd - Total Confusion (Heavenly Mix) - [Tam Tam Records]
    2 For Joy - In a State (Tropical Mix) - [Noise Records]
    ???? (2 For Joy?)
    Turntable Hype - Turntable Hype - [Go Bang! Records)
    Corina - Loving You Like Crazy - [Cutting Records]
    Think Tank - Hack One - [Hakatak Records]
    Charvoni - Always There (Classic Acapella) - [Capitol Records]
    PKA - Let Me Hear You (Say Yeah) (Bass Bins At Dawn Mix) - [Stress Records]
    Techno Age ft. DJ Phil Anthony - Moving On - [American Records]
    Cartouche - Feel The Groove (Frank De Wulf's Underground Remix) - [ARS]
    Cartouche - Feel The Groove - [ARS]
    Catch - Free (C'mon) - [FFRR]
    Westworld - Speed - [West]
    Unknown - Unknown (Euro)
    Digital Boy - Kokko - [Demo Studio]

Side B

Marathon – Movin' - [EG / Teutonic Beats]
    Royal Orchestra Ltd. - Get Down! - [Fourth Floor Records]
    Sha-Lor - My Love (Has Gone Away (Tommy Musto's Salsoul Dub Mix) - [Fourth Floor Records]
    Unknown - Unknown (I Won't Give it Up)
    Seduction - You're My One And Only (True Love) - [Vendetta Records]
    Nicole - Rock The House - [Epic]
    R-Tyme - R-Theme - [Transmat]
    Julie Wright – It's All Right With Me - [Panthera Records]
    Unknown - Unknown (Running Away)
    Seduction - Groove Me (C & C Dub Mix) - [Vendetta Records]
    Plez - Can't Stop - [Plezure Records]
    Unknown – Unknown
    Off-Shore - I Can't Take The Power - [Dance Pool / CBS]
    Unknown – Unknown
    C Concept - Why Naked? - [Mikki House / Music Man Records]

I never got the hype with that early Sasha sound, I think it was that he was playing a lot of tunes that you would hear at less hardcore clubs down south but up north where they tended to have it a bit harder. Dunno really, he never impressed me - some good tunes on that list though, esp. Plez - Can't Stop https://youtu.be/XtSyImate2M & Think Tank - Hack One https://youtu.be/SrUEusJZHWQ

BlodwynPig

The ever brilliant and now deceased Caspar Pound transforming a piano house tune into alien hardcore in 1991.

The Hypnotist - House is Mine

Sony Walkman Prophecies

monkfromhavana

OK, it's from 1995 and it's house, it's cheesy as hell, but it's fantastic.

Louis Gaston - Bless This House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwQHYq5X9gM

stranger

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 28, 2017, 10:00:04 PM

Slipmatt's a professional, and even on the rave rumour mill, there's never been any suggestion whatsoever that he's ripped anyone off, or been underhand in any way. That's pretty rare.

Received this email earlier from a Codey28, seems like Slipmatt's pissed someone off. Ouch.

I hope this email finds you well! I wanted to reach out because i feel people deserve an explanation. I used to work with Slipmatt and i was the guy in the background creating and running everything on the websites. Slipmatt and i have gone our separate ways due to him taking over £12,000 in sales and myself only being paid £400 for 9 months of work.

[World of Rave] has a new platform *not built by me, that will badger you in to a sales funnel system by getting your e-mail and tracking you through Facebook and using your details to forcefully get sales from you.

Before i decided to leave World of Rave i took down the websites and destroyed all data because i was never paid for the work i had done. I was the sole keeper of client personal information and security for such, he will no doubt be sending e-mails and using your information as he sees fit from the recovered information *which is illegal.

I also held on to stock in the form of USB's which were bought with partly my money. I am now selling these as i see fit and at a very fair non-inflated price. I feel the oldskool community deserves better.
For a mere £14.99 each 16Gb stick contains 10Gb of various mixed sets. https://live4music.co.uk/product/16gb-usb-loaded-with-oldskool/

Thanks for your time

Wishing you a Merry Christmas,
Mark aka Codey28

monkfromhavana

That sounds shit. I know nothing of web development and how much it costs so I don't know how much work goes into something, but £400 seems like a ridiculously low figure regardless. Also shit about how he allegedly uses your data, though not sure how Slipmatt can "forceably get sales from you" beyond sending out a few e-mails relating to other WoR projects.

Does this guy know anything about Slipmatt & Bunter's relationship? They were thick as thieves a few years back, but you hardly hear of them even hanging out anymore, which seems a but weird given how matey they seemed to be.

monkfromhavana

A bit more info - you've probably already seen this Stranger

"The problem with oldskool music - Many of you know i worked with Slipmatt and built the World of Rave brand over the past 5 years. During this time everything had been equal and we were selling good products to the ravers. This is what we intended it to be.
Around Dec 2017 it was decided that in Feb 2018 i would take down the old website that had served us well and upgrade to a better built website that could handle digital downloads, tickets, t-shirts and normal products. So i got everything ready and planned for the 2nd week in Feb. It wasnt until April 22nd the site went live because i was waiting for key information from Slipmatt before the site went live.
During that time from then up until a few months ago, i built the entire site which would cost in the region of 8-10 thousand pounds (if using a web developing company, with all the features and abilities i had built). I had done the entire site on SEO making it go from no-where to 4th place on google if searching for "rave tshirt". I tied the site to google analytics and facebook, i coded facebook pixel for the site so new products entered on the site would automatically show up in the facebook page shop system. And the list could go on.
----
On 25th July i sent an e-mail saying "I'm doing everything I should be doing and more and so far this year 7 months in and only been paid £400 total From World of Rave.
Soon I won't be able to work for World of Rave as I will have to go and sign on. This is not a threat its just the reality of life and having to pay for bills, could you live on £400 for 7 months ?? I've had to borrow and sell stuff and now in debt ☹ Am at a really shitty place right now and feels like no-one listens or is trying to help."
-----
Matt's reply was " Unfortunately Mark, World Of Rave won't pay any of us anywhere near a proper wage for a while. The only way to fast track it is to have a massive investment of money, which we don't have and quite frankly we won't get. If I gave up my other businesses to focus solely on WOR we'd last about 3 weeks and go bust so that's not an option.

However if things are that fragile I'm all up for taking some extra tough action. I've already spent 100s of hours and over £10k on business training this year already so I'm fully prepared to give it my all. Thing is though it needs to be a team effort. "

Things from here on out then spiralled out of control as he wasn't willing profit split the £3,500 that was sitting in the bank account to help a friend in need and his reason was " we cant afford to pay ourselves" even thou he had paid himself 14 grand from SMD triple album sales. (all Albums were bought with company money).
At this point in time i start to struggle as i needed to find money to pay for bills & getting stressful e-mails saying that i needed to work weekends on world of rave and be there at the drop of a hat to sort sales and any tiny issues out.

Over the next couple of months things got worse for me and i lost another cat (3 cats lost in 2018 due to old age and illness). And still no sign of getting any money. Matt's solution was to pay me a monthly fee but take 50% of my shares from world of rave. I refused this as it felt like being kicked while i was down and being manipulated so he could make more money. He then made promises that we would make some money each month but i had to come up with a plan for the company and do more work.
New USB sticks were bought with company funds and sent to me for data loading. During this time i had huge arguments with Matt and even Rachel (his other half) on the phone over money that was due to me and we had sitting in the bank. All during this time i still kept the website running and profits were being made everyday. And every month ticked by with the failed promise of money ( donkey and the carrot ).

So i decided enough was enough and took down world of rave website as i couldn't see being paid what i was due was ever going to come around. And since this i have been accused of theft, been called a pathetic fool and a host of other unpleasantness. I have also received letters saying never to talk to him again. Then a day later sending letters saying he is calling the police and reporting me for theft. Threatening me via whatsapp saying "see you soon son"
So there you have it, Thats the state of oldskool and why its in the state its in. Lucky oldskool music is not just a single person, but people like him are only out for the money not the music like it used to be. But its freedom of speech and your capable of making up your own minds. To this date i still have only ever been paid £400."

stranger

I hadn't seen that, but found this Codey character on Facebook and saw the post, and all the replies, there. What a mess eh? Obviously it's only one side of the story but it doesn't sound good.

Regarding the Bunter / Slipmatt relationship, I've also noticed they seem to barely acknowledge each other these days and never play at each others events (Unity in the Sun, Old Skool Ibiza etc...). In that Facebook thread Bunter replies, asking for his name to be kept out of it as it's nothing to do with him, "especially when I've not worked with you or Matt for probably a good 5 years, maybe even more".  That doesn't seem right to me - I'm sure they've worked together in the last 5 years? I know Slipmatt was in the crowd at one of Bunter's Rave Story seminars earlier this year cos I saw him, he wasn't on stage this year though.

All very strange.

monkfromhavana

Set of the week!

After the slightly dismal effort from Sasha last time out, a return to form with another 1991 Stoke-On-Trent set, this time from "Evil" Eddie Richards @ Entropy. Flitting between house, techno and euro, top mixing and only spoiled by an MC (Lethal?) who never shuts up. Also, for Better Midlands, it also contains The Formula - Exploded.

Tracklist is below, if anyone can supply any of the missing tracks that would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79iV9JAfUjg

1: Epitome Of Hype - Ladies With An Attitude (Underground Mix) - [Big Life Records]
2: Masters At Work - Jump On It - [Cutting Records] (@45rpm)
3: Dupree - Brass Disc  - [E-Legal)
4: Chris Cuevas - Hip Hop (MAW Dub) - [Atlantic]
5: M1 - Feel The Drums - [Emotive Records]
6: Pink Noise - Gimme Some More (Energy) - [Fourth Floor Records]
7: ????
8: Dave Angel - Poison - [R & S Records]
9: ???
10: Channel X - Rave The Rhythm - [Beat Box International]
11: Cybersonik - Technarchy - [Plus 8 Records Ltd.]
12: Rhythim is Rhythim - Kaos (Transmat)
13: Agent-X - You Got To Show Me - [Shockwave]
14: Industrial - Renegade - [Not On Label]
15: Phantasia - Inner Light - [Mental Radio]
16: ????
17: Brainstorm - Move The Colors - [Instinct Records]
18: ????
19: Steve Poindexter - Work That Mutha Fucker - [Muzique Records]
20: Landlord - I Like It (Blow Out Dub) - [Bigshot Records]
21: Royal Orchestra Ltd - How Do You Say Nastee (Nastee Beats) - [Fourth Floor Records]
22: Mr Monday - Future - [Elevation Inc.]
23: PKA - Temperature Rising (The Bigger & Better Remix) - [Stress Records]
24: The Formula - Exploded - [Vinyl Solution]
25: Second Chance - In Paradise - [Music Man Records]
26: Klubzone 1 - Boom Ahh - [Oh'Zone Records]
27: Cola Boy - 7 Ways To Love - [Arista]
28: Smoke Signals - I Want Your Love (Vocal Mix) - [Emotive Records]
29: Last Rhythm - Last Rhythm - [American Records]
30: Mike "Hitman" Wilson ft. Shawn Christopher - Another Sleepless Night - [Arista]
31: Joey Beltram - My Sound - [R&S Records]
32: Mayday - Wiggin / Sinister - [Kool Kat]

stranger

Quick update on the Slipmatt saga, he's sent this email out to his WoR mailing list today:

Dear friends and customers,

I'd like to thank you for your patience while we've been rebuilding and upgrading the World Of Rave website over the past month. This has been redesigned to offer you a much nicer experience, and there's still so much more to come.

We have a great new team, a fresh new look, and we're excited that we already have plans in place for tons more rave 'stuff' moving into 2019 including more DJ products, more music, more t-shirts and lots of rave tickets.

Those of you who know me will know that I'm not really a technical guy, however I want to take this opportunity to update you on how we process and store your personal data at World Of Rave Ltd.

All new and existing customer data is processed and stored securely by our hosting partners and not by ourselves. World Of Rave Store transactions are processed independently of us by our global financial partner - We don't process, store locally or have access to any customer financial data. For further information please see the updated terms and conditions page on the website.

Let me also take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thank you for being part of the successful World Of Rave journey so far, and I look forward to seeing you all very soon.

All the best

Slipmatt :)

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 19, 2018, 06:58:23 PM
Set of the week!

After the slightly dismal effort from Sasha last time out, a return to form with another 1991 Stoke-On-Trent set, this time from "Evil" Eddie Richards @ Entropy. Flitting between house, techno and euro, top mixing and only spoiled by an MC (Lethal?) who never shuts up. Also, for Better Midlands, it also contains The Formula - Exploded.

Tracklist is below, if anyone can supply any of the missing tracks that would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79iV9JAfUjg

1: Epitome Of Hype - Ladies With An Attitude (Underground Mix) - [Big Life Records]
2: Masters At Work - Jump On It - [Cutting Records] (@45rpm)
3: Dupree - Brass Disc  - [E-Legal)
4: Chris Cuevas - Hip Hop (MAW Dub) - [Atlantic]
5: M1 - Feel The Drums - [Emotive Records]
6: Pink Noise - Gimme Some More (Energy) - [Fourth Floor Records]
7: ????
8: Dave Angel - Poison - [R & S Records]
9: ???
10: Channel X - Rave The Rhythm - [Beat Box International]
11: Cybersonik - Technarchy - [Plus 8 Records Ltd.]
12: Rhythim is Rhythim - Kaos (Transmat)
13: Agent-X - You Got To Show Me - [Shockwave]
14: Industrial - Renegade - [Not On Label]
15: Phantasia - Inner Light - [Mental Radio]
16: ????
17: Brainstorm - Move The Colors - [Instinct Records]
18: ????
19: Steve Poindexter - Work That Mutha Fucker - [Muzique Records]
20: Landlord - I Like It (Blow Out Dub) - [Bigshot Records]
21: Royal Orchestra Ltd - How Do You Say Nastee (Nastee Beats) - [Fourth Floor Records]
22: Mr Monday - Future - [Elevation Inc.]
23: PKA - Temperature Rising (The Bigger & Better Remix) - [Stress Records]
24: The Formula - Exploded - [Vinyl Solution]
25: Second Chance - In Paradise - [Music Man Records]
26: Klubzone 1 - Boom Ahh - [Oh'Zone Records]
27: Cola Boy - 7 Ways To Love - [Arista]
28: Smoke Signals - I Want Your Love (Vocal Mix) - [Emotive Records]
29: Last Rhythm - Last Rhythm - [American Records]
30: Mike "Hitman" Wilson ft. Shawn Christopher - Another Sleepless Night - [Arista]
31: Joey Beltram - My Sound - [R&S Records]
32: Mayday - Wiggin / Sinister - [Kool Kat]

Nice broad mix that one, Dupree>Chris Cuevas>M1 is awesome - I loved that 1991 US house sound. Project XYZ - It's Just An Ecstasy https://youtu.be/8C5Kkpi2UpU would fit in there nicely.

Monk, have you ever heard of DJ's North & South who played around the south coast 89/90? The Eddie Richard's mix reminded me a lot of their sound.

monkfromhavana

Never heard of North & South at all, not even seen them on any flyers. The only south coast DJ I can think of from around that time is Pete Couzens.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 21, 2018, 01:02:46 PM
Never heard of North & South at all, not even seen them on any flyers. The only south coast DJ I can think of from around that time is Pete Couzens.

I found a 1989/90 mix of them at Kevin's House/Remix youth Bournemouth you might like, they put on lots of illegal parties round there too

https://m.soundcloud.com/gumbodj/djs-north-south-kevins-house-side-b-198990

Side B
Tracklist:
1)Rhythm Is Rhythm – Strings of Life
2)Ester B –Pleasure of the Music
3) Major Problems – The Rush
4) Steve Poindexter - Short Circuit
5)Unknown Track 2
6)Unknown Track 3
7)How & Little – Engineer's Dream
8) Dreamworld -Egotrip
9) Deep Thought - Jugendklang
10) Grey House - Move Your assist
11) Unknown Track 6
12) Unknown Track 7
13)Eon – Inner Mind
14)Unknown Track 8
15)Leftfield – Not Forgotten
16)Casa Nostra –Insomnia (Remix)
17) Sex And The Single Girl - All I Wanna Do Is Dance
8)Lords of Acid – I Sit On Acid
19)Ce Ce Rogers - Someday

There was a big underground scene in the south/south west that is pretty much undocumented. They were associated with Orbital Records in Bournemouth which went on to be Mighty Force in Cornwall that put out Aphex Twins debut Analogue Bubblebath

I found this

http://www.reloadonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=861

"Anyway, for what it's worth, the story goes something like this: In 1988/90 Jess and I were based in a place called Bournemouth on the south coast about 100 miles from London. I was running the only dance shop in the area, Orbital Records, and involved in various club nights with a couple of DJs called North & South. South (Justin Harris) later went on to be one half of Freaks with Luke Solomon. North (Nigel Casey)formed House Of 909 with Trevor Loveys & Affie Yussuf. At this time the clubs in Bournemouth closed at 2am then a few of us would drive up to one of the big M25 raves to carry the night on. Thing is, driving maybe 150 miles at 2am was hard work, so we started doing our own warehouse parties that were more local. By the summer of 1990 we were getting upwards of 5000 people turning up and roads out of town were rammed with cars. Police everywhere etc... Finally we did one party too many and most of the crew were arrested, DJs records were impounded, lots of equipment was lost and so on. I was one of about three who wasn't nicked and thought it was best to lay low for a while. Sticking with what we knew best, Jess and I looked around for a new area to open a record store and happened on Exeter about 80 miles west. At this time there was no store selling tunes anywhere south of Bristol. We called the new place Mighty Force and opened in January 1991. At the time we were heavily into the Detroit sound and were stocking everything we could get hold of by Underground Resistance, Carl Craig, those kind of guys. The store rapidly became the focal point for the whole of the south west *dance* scene. We ran a weekly club night of the same name, and also interviewed visiting DJs and acts for the local listings mag. Soon all sorts of people were dropping by and playing us tunes they'd been working on. One of them was Tom, who was studying Graphic Design just up the road in Taunton. The tape he played us was like nothing we had ever heard before, it was, quite simply, brilliant! For the first time we had heard something we wanted to release. Although we all (that's me, Jess & Tom) knew it was a new sound we couldn't have guessed how influential it would be. Richard, on the other hand didn't even want to make a record. He was happy producing tunes to play to his select audience in this club in the middle of nowhere in Cornwall called The Bowgie. I remember it took a lot to convince him to release the EP - he was a stubborn bastard, still is, of course. Anyway, after the impossible task of choosing 4 tracks off the original C90 tape, release it we did. And there goes history. (Don't ask for a copy of the tape, it's long gone, destroyed in a flood a few years ago).

Tom became a close friend and ended up working in the store and playing the club, we advanced him just enough to finish *My Splendid Idea* and we put it out. Soon after, he met Mark Pritchard in the shop (who at this time was recording as Shaft - we'd done a bit of distribution on some of his own white label releases, most notably the *Rhubarb & Custard EP* which he'd offered us to release and we had turned down as too cheesy. He ended up signing it to FFRR and going Top Ten, I think... Oh well). They teamed up as Reload etc and formed Evolution, named after the Carl Craig tune, history again."

monkfromhavana

I've been listening to Belgian techno (all on one label) for about 8 hours now...I think I need to lie down.

BM, I'll check that North & South mix next time I'm out for walk, looks quite good and I'll see if I can fill in those unknowns.

Also re: the South West, there are also loads of local DJs that never made it out of Cornwall - Mach One, Mastervibe (OK, he did because of links to Dreamscape), Apache and Destruction (fantastic scratch DJ). Changed a bit when Dance Planet moved there in the mid-90s, but always seemed more of a hard techno / gabba scene rather than breaks.

BlodwynPig

Im sure i posted this a few years ago but just found out the duo responsible included a young Ian Pooley

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=djpjGvOPuYY