Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:07:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Old Skool Hardcore/Rave Tune Dumping Ground Thread-a-Go-Go

Started by Puffin Chunks, February 19, 2013, 01:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

I'll keep a look out for some tougher 1991 tunes!

As for Ian Pooley, Time To Kill is a great tune as part of Space Cube. Worth it for the stab pattern that comes in @ 1.48 alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMqms5Po0V8

monkfromhavana

From Alec Empire's Digital Hardcore label, quality acid flavoured jungle

Sonic Subjunkies - Central Industrial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6E7QAwUfdk

monkfromhavana

There's been a bit of debate on another forum regarding "Chime". The Hartnoll's have always said that they sampled 3 easy listening tracks from their father's collection as part of Chime, but have never revealed what they are due to potential sampling litigation etc. Someone on this forum has an idea that he's found one of the samples

Johnny Pearson - Sleepy Shores (bit @ 2.38)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_NHIP-yLJ0&feature=youtu.be&t=157

Here's a link showing how the original sample has been mutated ( reversed, slowed down, converted to mono, and delay added as well)

https://clyp.it/1ydbdpp4?token=404822b7452a41d15b7b7c9bf931135d

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 29, 2018, 12:20:31 PM
There's been a bit of debate on another forum regarding "Chime". The Hartnoll's have always said that they sampled 3 easy listening tracks from their father's collection as part of Chime, but have never revealed what they are due to potential sampling litigation etc. Someone on this forum has an idea that he's found one of the samples

Johnny Pearson - Sleepy Shores (bit @ 2.38)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_NHIP-yLJ0&feature=youtu.be&t=157

Here's a link showing how the original sample has been mutated ( reversed, slowed down, converted to mono, and delay added as well)

https://clyp.it/1ydbdpp4?token=404822b7452a41d15b7b7c9bf931135d

Nice find by someone, that's definatly it.

monkfromhavana

This week's mix - again from Stoke-On-Trent (it seems that whenever I choose a DJ the first set from the correct era that shows up on YT is from either Entropy or Kinetic).

Carl Cox - Club Kinetic 18/12/1992

This one might be a bit late and fast for you, Better Midlands, but stick with it. As it's late '92, the house has all but disappeared and we're left with a 80/20  hardcore/techno split. A mix of anthems, underground belters (Nu-Tro-Gen, Innovation) and some tunes that are either a little commercial or probably didn't get a lot of DJ play (album mix of Everybody In The Place, techno-ier mix of Hurt You So Electroset). Mixing's pretty good, though I'm not sure the fast mixing section (can't tell if 3 decks in use) seemed a bit more gimmicky than anything, he plays literally about 30 seconds of Doc Scott - NHS (Disco Mix) before cutting out of it making it all seem a bit pointless.

Anyway, fairly enjoyable and accessible. Link and tracklist (if you know any of the gaps, let me know!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBfM8bkR7z4

1: Open Skies – Ozone Nights – [Reinforced Records]
2: ????
3: Spectral – Touch Somebody (DJ Seduction Remix) – [Cue Records]
4: Ellis Dee & Swan-E – Listen To The Rhythm – [Ellis Dee Project]
5: Awesome 3 – Don't Go – [Entity Records]
5: Joint Project – Total Feeling – [Soapbar Records]
6: ????
7: Stu J. – Take Me To Your Leader – [Adrenalin Records]
<tease> DJ Seduction – My Own – [Impact Records]
8: Liberation – Liberation (Freedom) – [ZYX Music]
9: DJ Seduction – My Own – [Impact Records]
10: Innovation – Hypersonic – [Vinyl Solution]
11: DJ Junk – Do It, Do It – [Junk Records]
12: ????
13: ????
14: The Prodigy – Your Love (Remix) – [XL Recordings]
15: Devious D & MC Jay-J – Drive Ya' Crazy – [Awesome Records]
16: Mystery Man – DJ Business – [Fokus U.K.]
17: Doc Scott – NHS (Disco Mix) – [Absolute 2 Records]
18: Jonny L – Hurt You So (Deep Pain Mix) – [Yo!Yo! Records]
19: Manix – Oblivion (Head In The Clouds) – [Reinforced Records]
20: ??? (approximates Top Buzz – Livin' In Darkness)
21: ????
22: Lifeline – Let The Music – [Great Asset / Clubsonic]
23: ????
24: ???? (big track, can't remember)
25: DJ's Unite – Volume 3a – [Impact Records]
26: Nu-Tro-Gen - Rollin' Reptiles - [Thunderpussy]
27: Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era – Peace & Loveism (4 Hero Remix) – [Suburban Base Records]
28: Sly T & Ollie J – Underground Confusion – [Blackmarket International]
29: ???? "Closer to all your dreams"
30: ????
31: Electroset – How Does It Feel? (Theme From Techno Blues) – [FFRR]
32: The Prodigy – Everybody In The Place (155 and Rising Mix) – [XL Recordings]
33: DJ Seduction – Higher Now – [Impact Records]
34: ????
35: Armageddon ft. Ray Keith – News At 10 (Wakad Mix) – [Absolute 2 Records]
46: Top Buzz – Livin' In Darkness – [Basement Records]

monkfromhavana

Mix of the week!!

Going a bit later this week, LTJ Bukem at Quest in Wolverhampton in June 1994. I like Bukem, but sometimes feel that his prowess as a producer is overrated (although he will always get props for making and doing a different style of music). It's a shame his reputation has taken a nosedive over the past ten years or so due to not releasing any music, no digital versions and pissing off lots of artists by signing their tracks but then never putting them out and just using them as exclusives for his DJ sets. How much of that is due to Bukem, and how much to Tony "I-ON-ING" Fordham is up for debate.

Anyway, this mix harks back to more pleasant times, and is largely MC-free, apart from Robbie Dee putting in an appearance near the end (no Conrad).

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhuB0AftUVM

Tracklist:

A1) Aquarius - Aquatic - [Good Looking Records]
A2) D.O.P.E. - Travelling Pt. 2 [Good Looking Records]
A3) Sounds Of Life - Release The Bells - [Certificate 18]
A4) Studio Pressure - Relics - [Certificate 18]
A5) E-Z Rollers - Believe - [Moving Shadow]
A6) PFM - Wash Over Me - [Good Looking Records]
A7) Dave Charlesworth - Guinness Track [Unreleased until last year when Dave finally released it on ADR]
B2) Studio Pressure - First Sequence - [Photek]
B3) LTJ Bukem - Horizon - [Looking Good Records]
B4) Aquarius - Dolphin Tune - [Good Looking Records]
B5) Orca - Intalect (Promised Land VIP Mix) - [Higher Limits]
B6) Peshay - Vocal Tune - [Good Looking Records]
B7) Unit 1 - Atlantic Drama - [Creative Wax]

BlodwynPig

I had a couple of releases on Good Looking/Looking Good in '96 (tracks made in '94). I think it was more a case of they were overwhelmed with the amount of quality tunes they had access to (that's why Looking Good was set up) and like most of the D&B labels the artists wait a long time to get paid, also around this time they were setting up a deal with Warner Chapell which slowed everything down even more. Danny was a pretty decent guy, I think it all happened too quickly really.

That 94-96 period was golden for drum and bass though, the mix above has some of the best of his style for sure.

BlodwynPig

I first heard LTJ Bukem after someone played this track from one of his compilations (although I cannot find that compilation now)

Der Dritte Raum - Hale Bopp

It's actually Tech-Trance/House, but in 1999 when he played it on his super cool sound system it blew my mind. I then discovered Intelligent Drum 'n' Bass and the rest is history.

PFM and Artemis are, for me, the best exponents of that genre, at least consistently.

BlodwynPig

I must be misremembering as Hale Bopp would be quite a deviation on a drum 'n' bass compilation. I am sure it was though - the cover was a space scene.

stranger

That 'Release The Bells' track has been a personal favourite for years. Stunning piece of music.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 13, 2019, 03:34:56 PM
I had a couple of releases on Good Looking/Looking Good in '96 (tracks made in '94). I think it was more a case of they were overwhelmed with the amount of quality tunes they had access to (that's why Looking Good was set up) and like most of the D&B labels the artists wait a long time to get paid, also around this time they were setting up a deal with Warner Chapell which slowed everything down even more. Danny was a pretty decent guy, I think it all happened too quickly really.

That 94-96 period was golden for drum and bass though, the mix above has some of the best of his style for sure.

Wow, which artist were you? Any interesting stories about Tony Fordham or did he come onboard later? I was speaking to one of the old Good Looking artists who said that Danny had a few problems with the taxman that only got ironed out by the Logical Progression compilation being released - a lot of the artists apparently deferred payment to help him out.

Recently though his reputation has gone to shit with a fair amount of extremely thinly veiled negative comments from the likes of Blame & Makoto, plus the whole thing with Conrad. Surely signing tracks that you never have any intention of releasing is pretty harming for the scene.

jobotic

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 28, 2018, 09:10:28 PM
From Alec Empire's Digital Hardcore label, quality acid flavoured jungle

Sonic Subjunkies - Central Industrial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6E7QAwUfdk

I have the album that has that on but I was disappointed that it was a bit tuneless after having first bought this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaBp7IuXZCU

(the other side is better but I can't find it uploaded anywhere).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 13, 2019, 03:34:56 PM

this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=GEHJaPvqGIk

monkfromhavana

monkfromhavana

To absolutely no demand, mix of the week returns! This time a set from peak-rave, Mastersafe @ Dreamscape 3 10/04/1992.

Fair few anthems, but with a few lesser gems thrown in. Lots of fast mixing (as you can tell given he squeezes 27 tracks into 50 minutes) which IMHO really detracts from the whole. I'm sure it's very impressive, but I really want more than a minute of a tune. On the mic is (I think) MC EzeVibe, who proved he was a proper bad boy by being sent to prison for child abuse (physical rather than sexual) and neglect. He'd never get released as he committed suicide whilst in prison. Mark Ryder must have been upset as well given that the mix contains some tracks from his label - wonder if he tried suing Dreamscape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbay9v9B4Ng&t=6s

Tracklist:

I.C.P. - Free & Equal (Leftfield Remix) - [ICP Recordings]
Fantasy UFO - Headstrong - [Strictly Underground Records]
Kid Unknown - Nightmare - [Warp Records]
Rhythm Quest - Closer To All Your Dreams (Hibrid Mix)- [Network Records]
Rhythm Junior - Overdrive - [Contagious Records]
Urban Shakedown - Do It Now - [Urban Shakedown]
4 Hero - Cooking Up Yah Brain - [Reinforced Records]
Planet V - Techno Confusions (Krazee Beats Mix) - [Techno Wave]
Nick-O-D - Let Your Mind Be Free - [Reinforced Records]
Naz A.K.A. Naz - Loving You - [Deja Vu Recordings]
Dave Charlesworth - Energizer 2 (B) - [Energizer]
Hackney Hardcore - Alright! (F*cking Loud Mix) - [Strictly Underground Records]
N.R.G. - He Never Lost His Hardcore - [Chill]
Tango - Can't Stop The Rush - [Formation Records]
Rhythm For Reasons - The Grandnational - [Formation Records]
M-D-Emm - Move Your Feet (Keep Those Hands Up! And Stop Buying All That Crap Pop Music Mix!) - [Strictly Underground Records]
Project One ft. Nanisha - Roughneck - [Rising High Records]
Mad Ragga Jon - Original Bad Boy - [Mad House Records]
Tango - Factor 5 - [Formation Records]
The House Crew - We Are Hardcore - [Production House]
Noise Factory - Behold The Jungle - [Tam Tam Records]
Urban Shakedown - Some Justice - [Urban Shakedown]
Blame - Music Takes You (2 Bad Mice Take You Remix) - [Moving Shadow]
Powerhouse Inc - Pressing On (Rude Boy Mix) - [Entity Records]
The Criminal Minds - Baptised By Dub (Original Fire) - [White House Records]
Noise Factory - Be Free - [3rd Party]
Bubbles - We Can Ride The Boogie (Rock With You) - [Elicit]
Nookie - Give A Little Love (Summertime Mix) - [Absolute 2 Records]

BlodwynPig

what's your opinion on Ragga? I hate it, but it's often mixed in with stuff I love.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 30, 2019, 11:28:26 PM
what's your opinion on Ragga? I hate it, but it's often mixed in with stuff I love.

I tried about 20 years ago, buying a couple of compilations and all that, but couldn't get on with it. Like you, I love the vocal style when mixed with something else, it adds a nice roughness to things, but on it's own I tend to find it a little oppressive.

monkfromhavana

Never let it be said that I don't know, deep down inside, what you people want. It's time for me to post a happy hardcore set in mix of the week.

To ease you in gently, I've gone for a 1994 set, as this minimizes the cheese factor, and the fact that there weren't many happy hardcore tracks being made, so you get a good mish-mash plus a lot of 1992-1993 tracks thrown into the mix as well as bit of drum 'n' bass and bouncy techno.

Anyway, Dougal @ World Dance held at Lydd Airport on 02/04/1994. MC MC on the mic for most of the set, before GQ jumps on 3/4 of the way through. Dougal was never the best DJ, as you can hear when he trainwrecks the mix between (IIRC) Above The Clouds and Perfect Dreams. The crowd seem to be liking it, which shows that the rave era hadn't totally died off and is surprising as World Dance was always more of a jungle event. It would later bin-off hardcore altogether in 1996, not even sticking in in the 2nd room. The events that did persist in putting alternate hardcore/jungle (or DnB) sets in the same room lead to some astounding jumps in styles and heavy crowd movement between rooms.

Anyway, the sets alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvA9m_nMk7I

Tracklist:

A1) SMD - #3 (AA) [SMD]
A2) Smith & Brown - Do It Now [Homegrown]
A3) DJ Seduction - Everybody [Impact]
A4) Frantic & Impulse - Volume 1 Side A [Homegrown]
A5) Q Tex - E-Creation (94 Mix) [Evolution]
A6) SMD - #3 (A) [SMD]
A7) Ramos & Vinylgroover - Phantasm [Hectic]
A8) Bass Selective - Blow Out Pt 2 [DJ Only]
A9) SMD - #1 (A) [SMD]
A10) Nookie - Gonna Be Alright (Cloud 9 Remix) [Reinforced]
A11) Sunshine Productions - Above The Clouds (Vibes & Wishdokta Remix) [Just Another Label]
A12) DJ Force & The Evolution - Perfect Dreams [Kniteforce]

B1) DJ Force & The Evolution - Perfect Dreams [Kniteforce]
B2) Force Mass Motion - Panic (Remix) [Rabbit City]
B3) Nookie - Give A Little Love (94 Lick) [Reinforced]
B4) Jack N Phil - Don't Beg 4 Love (Pure Basement Mix) [Basement]
B5) Bass X - Atomic [Shoop!]
B6) SMD - #2 (A) [SMD]
B7) Q Project - Champion Sound (The Alliance Remix) [Legend]
B8) SMD - #2 (AA) [SMD]
B9) Ramos & Supreme - Crowd Control [Hectic]
B10) SMD - #1 (AA) [SMD]
B11) DJ Slipmatt - Breaking Free [Awesome]
B12) Q-Tex - Celebration (Vocal Mix) [23rd Precinct]

monkfromhavana

Another mix, going back to the end of 1993 for a set from Fabio @ The Edge in Coventry. This set represents a mish-mash of the intersection between hardcore, the Bukem-sound and the dark side tracks all mixed into one, making it a bit of a spooky mix at times. There's no MC, and the last half hour of the YT clips is the first 30 minutes repeated, so there's only an hour.

Some great tunes though, and nary a piano in sight for all you intelligent types.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fabio+edge

Shades Of Rhythm - Sweet Sensation (Ray Keith remix PT 2) [Unreleased]
Boogie Times Tribe - The Dark Stranger (Origin Unknown remix) [Suburban Base]
Uncle 22 & Navigator - Choose One PT 1 [Pure Energy]
Digitech - Imperial Stix EP Side A1 [Cybotron]
Q Project - Night Moves (Alliance Remix) [Legend]
Side Effect - Never Ending Saga (Quantum Mix) [Time Travel]
Desired State - Killer Beat [RAM]
Skanna - Until The Night Is Morning AA Side [Skanna]
Extreme Minds - Volume 1 Side AA2 [Future Vinyl]
DJ Crystl - Meditation [Dee Jay]
Gwange - New Creation [Legend]
Skanna - Until The Night Is Morning [Skanna]
DJ Crystl - Warp Drive [Dee Jay]
Nookie - Phobia [Reinforced]

Incredible melodic tune from '95 on Boogie Beat that passed everyone by at the time and has recently been revived it seems.

Baraka - I'll Be There

https://youtu.be/gxcz83OFB1g

the

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 26, 2019, 11:24:23 AMBaraka - I'll Be There

https://youtu.be/gxcz83OFB1g

Nice. Nice tight Amen with a lot of bite to it.

It is surprising how much you can get out of using an 808 cowbell as a melodic instrument, I've had fun twiddling about with it on occasion.

Quote from: the on April 26, 2019, 11:38:24 AM
Nice. Nice tight Amen with a lot of bite to it.

It is surprising how much you can get out of using an 808 cowbell as a melodic instrument, I've had fun twiddling about with it on occasion.

Always sounds good like that, I remember tuning an 808 cowbell with a guitar tuner and using it for melody.

BlodwynPig

monkfromhavana

A classic Sasha set from February 1991 @ Ektos in Swindon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB1e1L2PunU

All the classics are here the Leftfield/Whitney Houston mash-up, 'Belfast', Xpansions, Collapse - 'My Love', Friends of Matthew.

God knows why DJs kept playing Marathon - Movin', what a pile of shite.

1. Bassix - Close Encounters
2. Cappella - Everybody (hypnotic cyber mix)
3. Hi-Liner - Loving You
4. Marathon - Movin
5. Friends Of Matthew - Out There
6. A Homeboy, A Hippie & A Funki Dredd - Freedom - Rough Mix
7. DJ Brutal Bill - Get on The Move (Breakdown Bonus)
8. A Homeboy, A Hippie & A Funki Dredd - Freedom - Mellow Mix
9. Leftfied - Not Forgottewn (Hard Hands Mix)
10. Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (accapella)
11. Orbital - Belfast
12. Playtime Toons - The Shaker Song
13. Robin Wants Revenge - Robin Wants Revenge
14. Psychotripic - Hypnosis
15. Sweet Mercy - Take Me Away
16. Bug Kann & Plastic Jam - Made In 2 Minutes
17. TNT - I Kill Love (Briefly)

1. Alpha Dy - Chicago Trip
2. Xpansions - Elevation (Move Your Body)
3. Shawn Christopher - Another Sleepless Night (Redzone mix)
4. Collapse - My Love (Ambient Drops)
5. FPI Project - Everybody (All Over The World) Mix?
6. Think Tank - Hack One
7. B-Sides - The Tape (Frank De Wulf)
8. Cappella - Everybody (techno house mix)
9. 6 Bells All - Me The Mailman
10. Teknobit - Sade Sound part one
11. Techno Age - Movin On
12. Johnny Parker - Love It Forever
13. Creative Thieves - Nasty Rhythm (Sashas MFI Remix)
14. Solo - Rainbow
15. Ramjac Corporation - Cameroon Massif! [Irdial Discs]

Yeah, that's choc full of Sasha classics as you've mentioned Alpha DY/Teknobit/TNT/Robin Wants Revenge are belters I always associate with him. This period is definatly when he nailed the legendary status

You're spot on about Marathon - Movin', couldn't stand it - although tbf Moritz von Oswald more than made up for it with his later (Basic Channel) releases

Shaker Song I never understood either, friends up north used to worship that tune

BlodwynPig

A new compilation on The Gasman's label, featuring some old skool names and newer artists. Includes a Steve Davis remix (Steve Rave-is) to boot.

https://thegasman.bandcamp.com/album/repeat

the

Something that needs to be addressed - when exactly did smileys become a visual metaphor for hardcore? Because they were surely much more tied in with the symbolology of acid house, were they not?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: the on May 17, 2019, 02:42:06 AM
Something that needs to be addressed - when exactly did smileys become a visual metaphor for hardcore? Because they were surely much more tied in with the symbolology of acid house, were they not?

This compilation sounds more acidy.

the

That wasn't an observation levelled at the compilation, the artwork just reminded me - because latterly they have become a visual metaphor for hardcore. But I wonder when/where that started, because it feels inauthentic.