Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:13:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Old Skool Hardcore/Rave Tune Dumping Ground Thread-a-Go-Go

Started by Puffin Chunks, February 19, 2013, 01:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Another classic, with the vocals from Mad World sampled (Discogs also says it samples from Brian Eno's 'Music For Airports' but I'm not overly familiar with that, guessing it's the piano)). Basically a sightly more ravey Omni Trio style (Artcore anyone?).

In Perfection - Expression (Fear Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcQKCzKlOu8

monkfromhavana

Classic from 1992, though a bit less manic

DJ Splix - Nasty Rhythm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2iab5cwP-E

Not listened to this in years, the intro always makes me smile with the N.W.A. sample and the computerized "Ecstacy" sample.

monkfromhavana

Got a bit of time off, so catching up with some of the newer releases (Of which there seem to be a huge amount of these days, mostly on Kniteforce. Two which have grabbed my ears are:

DJ Wislov - Too Much Coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJtyHDm71GI

Straight of of Poland, possibly the most rush-tastic piece of music released since mid-1993.

N.R.G. - Helpless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHwI2OSUDvM

Since returning to making rave tunes after a 26-year hiatus, N.R.G.s tracks and remixes have been uniformly excellent, far better than the newer work by Hyper On Experience (Whose new stuff is still good, but ultimately disappointing when you think of their earlier stuff). This is a nice 1994-style smooth Jungle track (no ragga samples, so no need to worry about cultural appropriation).

BlodwynPig

Sonny_Jim

I randomly stumbled onto the autobiography of that One Nation bloke (was googling stuff about the Labyrinth/Pleasure Rooms in Tottenham high road).  He sounds like an absolute bell end.  Every story was 'this amazing thing happened and we were the only ones that did it and everybody clapped and thought we were gods because everyone else was shit compared to us'.  A proper 'twelverifer'.[nb]The kind of person who if you say to them 'I've been to Tenerife' they'll come back immediately with 'Yeah, well I've been to Twelve-erife mate, it was better.[/nb]

Nice to see Acen is still pumping out stuff, always enjoyed playing 'Trip II the Moon' at raves in the early 2000's and having people march to the decks to demand what that song was.  DJ Seduction did some stuff recently that was alright as well.

As a hobby I've been making a Christmas tree light show to dank tunes, I figured it would be nice to have an early hardcore tune in the set as well so been working on a light sequence for this tune:

Terrorize - Natural high
It feels like it's been pitched up on that recording, but I think that's actually just the normal speed.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 03, 2021, 07:30:29 PM
Heard this Monk?

Spiral Tribe - Livemix 1992

No, I'll add onto the list of mixes to check out, be nice to listen to a different slant on things. Always been a bit put off the musical side of Spiral Tribe by that "Forward The Revolution" release on Big Life that I thought was a bit pants.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on April 04, 2021, 07:15:59 AM
I randomly stumbled onto the autobiography of that One Nation bloke (was googling stuff about the Labyrinth/Pleasure Rooms in Tottenham high road).  He sounds like an absolute bell end.  Every story was 'this amazing thing happened and we were the only ones that did it and everybody clapped and thought we were gods because everyone else was shit compared to us'.  A proper 'twelverifer'.[nb]The kind of person who if you say to them 'I've been to Tenerife' they'll come back immediately with 'Yeah, well I've been to Twelve-erife mate, it was better.[/nb]

Nice to see Acen is still pumping out stuff, always enjoyed playing 'Trip II the Moon' at raves in the early 2000's and having people march to the decks to demand what that song was.  DJ Seduction did some stuff recently that was alright as well.

As a hobby I've been making a Christmas tree light show to dank tunes, I figured it would be nice to have an early hardcore tune in the set as well so been working on a light sequence for this tune:

Terrorize - Natural high
It feels like it's been pitched up on that recording, but I think that's actually just the normal speed.

Yeah, I have that book too and he comes across like an absolute arsehole, which I have no doubt that he is. One of those men stuck as perennial 14 year-olds obsessed with their hardness. I mean, that chapter on his security team was absolute toss, as was his various bits and bobs about his gangster mates who were all actually really lovely guys, but don't get in their way because they'll FACKIN FILL YOU IN. You go through the book, Terence, claiming that you not a gangster, so why bother putting in all this stuff?? Or does it go back to your 14 year old brain wanting to be a gangster without actually being one because.....fuck knows actually, probably RESPECT. Also probably why you've made 3 FILMS about the same people and incident.

Sorry, bit of a rant.

monkfromhavana

Always one of my favourite mid 90's D'n'B tunes, I love that riff (is it a horn?).

Lemon D - Urban Style Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLtIip4pdEI

Sonny_Jim

Bangaz

Cheating because this is 'nu-skool', but it's also bangz

monkfromhavana

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on June 24, 2022, 04:26:38 PMHave not looked through the thread so I imagine a lot of these already posted but here you go...

Origin Unknown - Losing U

Aphex Twin - 05 - Pac-Man (Original Mix AKA Original Full Version)

International Rude Boyz - Paragone Remix

Don't think that any of those have been posted before, always liked the Paragone Remix, nice blend between darkness and light.

itsfredtitmus

reviving this thread after discovering Lisa Lashes a month ago this song is SO good and I normally don't like much Tidy Trax (basically all sort of the same after a while but that's just ignorance/laziness on me)

Sonny_Jim

I just discovered the 'Lets go' sample from about a million different tunes is from Ford Fairlane:

https://youtu.be/9BeK5c9b-pw?t=340

Sebastian Cobb

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 09, 2022, 08:06:43 PM

Ended up breaking this out 'cos it's dead sunny.

It's good, but the E-Type remix of "Tell Me Why" is better.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 11, 2022, 10:47:02 AMIt's good, but the E-Type remix of "Tell Me Why" is better.

I like that one too. Did Rachel Wallace do much else?

Not according to discogs, although:

QuoteVocalist from Hoxton, London, known for her work on Suburban Base. Whilst recording her tracks for Sub Base she used to work at the Ministry for Agriculture. In 1993 she moved to live in Munich, Germany and opened a clothes shop. Then she moved to Miami before returning to the UK to become a backing vocalist for Stereo MC's.

She used to date Dan Donnelly after meeting him on stage at the first rave she ever attended. Now married to Rob Birch, lead singer of Stereo MC's.

monkfromhavana

She still does a few PAs and the occasional guest vocal on a track, but generally nothing rave/dance orientated.

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on July 09, 2022, 02:53:24 PMI just discovered the 'Lets go' sample from about a million different tunes is from Ford Fairlane:

https://youtu.be/9BeK5c9b-pw?t=340

It was on lots of the early accapella bootleg compilations which nicked it from the Yello 12" David Morales mixes of the theme

Sebastian Cobb

Would hope this has been posted multiple times. In fact it'd be fine if it was posted once per page.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 17, 2022, 08:39:49 PMWould hope this has been posted multiple times. In fact it'd be fine if it was posted once per page.

Then Grant Nelson left and he ended up "producing" absolute steaming piles of shite like this.

Ravers Choice - Techno Wonderland

Now he's working with a decent producer / engineer again, he's producing great stuff again.

DJ Vibes & Hattrixx - Something Divine

monkfromhavana

Also, some kind soul has started uploading tunes from the 2'E'Z label onto YT, a label that for my taste, has the highest hit rate of great tunes than almost any other label. Also, some great artist names

The Bus Conductor - People Everywhere (5th track below, but all of them are great)

Sebastian Cobb

If we're going through producers that change and rename themselves, I always thought Clipz was a bit too clownstep for me but quite like his reinvention as Redlight. It's still incredibly cheesy but good fun.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 17, 2022, 09:22:13 PMIf we're going through producers that change and rename themselves, I always thought Clipz was a bit too clownstep for me but quite like his reinvention as Redlight. It's still incredibly cheesy but good fun.

It's ok, reminds me a lot of this though

B. Traits ft. Elizabeth Troy - Fever

Incidentally, is there a name for that dance move where you pick one foot off the floor and kinda do a circle with it?

Sebastian Cobb

^ like that, like B-Traits but don't know much about her because I'd stopped paying attention to dnb by the point she was on radio and now she isn't I think? Saw her at Bestival because Rodigan was on after and that was great.

monkfromhavana

monkfromhavana

There is always a place in my heart for cheese from Italy

People In Town - Read My Lips (1991)

Is it just me, or does the Candi Staton sample not really fit? Just the "you're gonna want me" section of the vocal.

Sonny_Jim

No it's not you, I guess both producers being Italian they didn't notice it.  Nowadays it'd be a 2 second job in Ableton to stretch it out to the right timing.  Back then tho, massive pain in the bum.  Almost wish you hadn't pointed it out as I'm going to be thinking of it every time I hear this track from now on.

EDIT:
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 17, 2022, 09:22:13 PMI always thought Clipz was a bit too clownstep
Ultimate clownstep

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on July 21, 2022, 11:53:36 AMNo it's not you, I guess both producers being Italian they didn't notice it.  Nowadays it'd be a 2 second job in Ableton to stretch it out to the right timing.  Back then tho, massive pain in the bum.

It would have been just as easy to do back then, cut the sample into four parts and trigger each line in the correct place.

This one by Underground Resistance was always a bitch to mix from the accapella intro because the "and you're doing whatcha doing" line pushes it off half a beat from what sounds natural.