Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:07:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Amiga Games without the hassle

Started by syntaxerror, February 19, 2013, 08:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 24, 2013, 08:38:36 PMAnyone remember a game where you played a kind of Ed-209 type robot thing? Side scrolling sci-fi action game.

Guessing you mean Walker?

Kolba

There's some nice looking commercial software here http://www.amigaforever.com/

It's essentially a user friendly wrapper for winUAE, with a legal Amiga bios included. Haven't bought it myself yet, because that'd be the end of my free time.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Mister Six on February 25, 2013, 12:48:49 AM
Guessing you mean Walker?

I watched a vid of that on youtube and I'm not sure it's that one. I'm sure the one I played had you jumping between platforms and such. More of a traditional platform game. Haven't played it in 20+ years though so my memory is hazy..

AsparagusTrevor

El Unicornio, mang

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: jutl on February 24, 2013, 08:40:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_(video_game)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoZxnQraJpE
?

Whoops, didn't see this. Thanks to yourself and Mister Six for the suggestion, but yeah it's Killing Game Show.

I wouldn't mind playing the Amiga version of Lost Patrol again. Downloaded the PC version a few years ago but it was very glitchy. Not a fabulous game, and seemed to be impossible to complete, but very atmospheric and I was really into it when I was going through my "'Nam" period (after watching Platoon)

lazarou

Quote from: Replies From View on February 22, 2013, 11:42:13 AM
I remember about 12 years ago downloading some Amiga Dizzy games and an emulator, and finding there was some crucial bit of the puzzle that was missing.  I can't remember what it was now, but those Amiga owners wouldn't cough it up.  And I remember thinking even 12 years ago that surely the Amiga owners had nothing to lose anymore but no, they kept onto whatever it was.  So no functioning Amiga emulator for me.
You're probably thinking of kickstart ROM images, which are still under copyright making the whole process a pain for a very long time.

The end of the Amiga's lifespan was a depressing trainwreck, with some fairly useless and/or inept companies hoovering up the old assets to sell them at ridiculous markup to fans who just couldn't let go, and it seemed to go on forever. Last time I checked a couple of years ago, they were selling AmigaOS systems specced to levels you'd struggle to give away at twice the price of a reasonable desktop pc.

It seems a lot of people finally got fed up with that whole business and branched out on their own with derivative operating systems like AROS which cost nothing and can run on almost anything, which feels much more like it. A lot of classic Amiga stuff is still buried under licensing nightmares though, so it's great to see more attempts at accessibility like this.

Replies From View

Yes, that sounds about right.  It was easy enough to get hold of the games and emulator files, but only owners of real Amigas had those kickstart ROM images, and none of the ones I met were willing to share it.  This was 2001 and it seemed so pathetic because Amigas were already relics.  I couldn't grasp what they were protecting at all - they were just stopping me see what the Amiga Dizzy games looked like at a time before youtube came along and showed me well enough with its Let's Plays.  So I stuck with my Spectrum emulator which required no such nonsense, and enjoyed Dizzy as my childhood had originally found it.  Stuff that, Amiga owners!!

syntaxerror

Quote from: Replies From View on February 26, 2013, 08:17:37 AM
Yes, that sounds about right.  It was easy enough to get hold of the games and emulator files, but only owners of real Amigas had those kickstart ROM images, and none of the ones I met were willing to share it.  This was 2001 and it seemed so pathetic because Amigas were already relics.  I couldn't grasp what they were protecting at all - they were just stopping me see what the Amiga Dizzy games looked like at a time before youtube came along and showed me well enough with its Let's Plays.  So I stuck with my Spectrum emulator which required no such nonsense, and enjoyed Dizzy as my childhood had originally found it.  Stuff that, Amiga owners!!

The whole kickstart rom thing really takes the piss. Whilst they're easy enough to find these days, they're still not freely available.

madhair60

PM me if you want a kick-start finding the Kickstarts i.e. I will host them.  Just kidding police i'm not