Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:11:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Pointless Thread

Started by Dead kate moss, February 20, 2013, 05:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dead kate moss

I read that yesterday's Pointless involved a James Brown question - I haven't watched it yet, but am guessing that someone chose 'Funky Music' in the final and it was about James Brown Top 40 singles? Because I've been wondering for a while, what else is it going to be? Funkadelic albums?

Likewise I saw 'Acid Jazz' as one the categories in the final the other day... what on earth does anyone think the question might turn out to be on that subject? I have no idea.

Any other Pointless related questions or observations, this is the thread. And you're all brilliant members and all your posts are absolutely brilliant.

Lyfjaberg

I have never watched Pointless. Does it live up to its name?

Famous Mortimer

They had US politicians as young people photos yesterday, and despite being very obviously him, Bill Clinton's picture scored 0, making me think someone in the back messed up.

DKM, on the off chance you're being serious, it was "name an actor from either the Dirty Dozen or Magnificent Seven". One of the contestants said "James Brown" and it turns out that former American footballer Jim Brown had a small part in the Dirty Dozen, and therefore she was right.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Dead kate moss on February 20, 2013, 05:23:40 PM

Likewise I saw 'Acid Jazz' as one the categories in the final the other day... what on earth does anyone think the question might turn out to be on that subject? I have no idea.

I thought it'd be Jamiroquai singles.

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 20, 2013, 06:07:06 PM
They had US politicians as young people photos yesterday, and despite being very obviously him, Bill Clinton's picture scored 0, making me think someone in the back messed up.

It was ludicrously obvious wasn't it? The Nixon one from the 'when they were young' thread even got 7!

Serge

I laughed when I saw the Nixon picture, having recognised it from that thread. I can't believe that no-one got the Clinton one, it wasn't exactly tricky.

I'm staying with my parents at the minute, which means I'm seeing a lot of daytime quiz shows. It's mad that there seems to be one based on the old fairground thing with sliding shelves, though with counters representing £50 rather than 2p pieces. Having said that, the host did make a barbed comment to a woman pulling the old 'I'm too young to remember that' routine, when she said that her (older) opponent had an advantage over her. "Yes," said the host, "Knowledge."

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: Serge on February 20, 2013, 07:08:31 PM
I laughed when I saw the Nixon picture, having recognised it from that thread. I can't believe that no-one got the Clinton one, it wasn't exactly tricky.

You're getting them muddled up.

I'll go now.

Serge

Damn, I missed a golden opportunity there....

Deanjam

There was a contestant last week who, in the 'films starring members of Will Smith's family' round, guessed that he was in Nutty Professor. It was wrong, but she got the points because Jada Pinkett was in it. There's some right lucky guessing at times.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Dead kate moss on February 20, 2013, 05:23:40 PM
I read that yesterday's Pointless involved a James Brown question - I haven't watched it yet, but am guessing that someone chose 'Funky Music' in the final and it was about James Brown Top 40 singles? Because I've been wondering for a while, what else is it going to be? Funkadelic albums?

'Katie Price' pops up every so often as one of the choices on the final round. Needless to say nobody's ever picked it. I wonder what the question would be? Katie Price's assorted sexual partners perhaps?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on February 24, 2013, 01:49:54 PM
'Katie Price' pops up every so often as one of the choices on the final round. Needless to say nobody's ever picked it. I wonder what the question would be? Katie Price's assorted sexual partners perhaps?

I've presumed it'd be titles of her books.

QuoteBibliography

Autobiographies
Being Jordan (2004)
A Whole New World (2006)
Pushed to the Limit (2008)
You Only Live Once (2010)

Novels
Angel (2006)
Crystal (2007)
Angel Uncovered (2008)
Sapphire (2009)
Paradise (2010)
The Comeback Girl (2011)
Santa Baby (2011)
In the Name of Love (2012)

Series
Perfect Ponies (2007–10)
Here Comes the Bride, Little Treasures, Fancy Dress Ponies, Pony Club Weekend, The New Best Friend, Ponies to the Rescue, My Pony Care Book, Star Ponies, Pony 'n' Pooch, Pony in Disguise, Stage Fright!, Secrets and Surprises, Wild West Weekend (in order of publication date)

Mermaids & Pirates (2008–10)
Follow the Fish, I Spy, Let's Build a Sandcastle, A Sunny Day, Telescope Overboard, Time for a Picnic, All Around, Hide and Seek, Katie the Mermaid, Katie's Day, Peter's Friends, Pirate Olympics (in order of publication date)

Fashion
Standing Out (2009

Famous Mortimer

Someone won the biggest ever prize t'other day!

I wonder if there's ever been an answer where the person has got the big red X but protested? I bet there's a few films listed on IMDB as TV movies which had proper cinema releases, for example.

Dead kate moss

I liked the pair that won, so was happy for them.

The other day they asked for one word number one singles, and Richard said they could have said 'Heroes' by David Bowie. That's never been number one.

I agree the Katie Price question will be her books - if you are going on Pointless, research these subjects - the novels of Katie Price, James Brown top 40 singles (Funk Music) , Manic Street Preachers [nb](Welsh Bands) and it came up - it was obviously going to be the Manics! (& I got a pointless with Roses In The Hospital, and there weren't many pointless, they obviously found a Manics expert in their 100) [/nb], never choose a sport in the final round, there's always one person they asked who knows everything, er.. is Country Music a final subject? That'll be Dolly Parton top 40 singles... any other guesses as to what lurks behind some of those final categories?

I might try and go on, I wonder what the waiting list is like?

Norton Canes

I don't think you'd find even one person in most randomly-selected groups of a hundred that knew so many obscure MSP singles. One in ten thousand, more like. Desperately unlucky (although, I suppose, they wouldn't have even put the category up for grab if the majority of the correct answers were pointless).

It may have been mentioned already on this thread, but they are not always consistent with the required accuracy of the answers. They refused 'Move Like Jagger', for instance (should be 'moves'), but accepted 'Another Brick In The Wall', despite Richard saying correctly at the end of the round that its full title was 'Another Brick In The Wall Part 2'.

Quote from: Dead kate moss on March 11, 2013, 11:52:15 AM
The other day they asked for one word number one singles, and Richard said they could have said 'Heroes' by David Bowie. That's never been number one.

It was covered a couple of years back by the Ex-Factor finalists for charity (Help for Heroes - injured soldiers and all that) and that got to number one. 

I can't think why I don't pay any attention to the music charts any more...

Serge

There was a round on U2 singles a while ago where they were going through nearly the entire round without anybody guessing one at all, and they let someone get away with giving 'In The Name Of Love' as an answer, despite the fact that the key word should have been 'Pride'. It seemed like they were pretty desperate to make sure it wasn't a whole round of 200s.

Dead kate moss

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on March 11, 2013, 12:04:13 PM
It was covered a couple of years back by the Ex-Factor finalists for charity (Help for Heroes - injured soldiers and all that) and that got to number one. 

Ah. Could have sworn he said by Bowie, but maybe he didn't.

Dead kate moss

I am genuinely about to apply to be on Pointless now. I have downloaded the form. Mrs DKm will not accompany me, and I figure one of you lot is as good a bet as any of my friends, who I can't be arsed to ask anyway. So please, if you are up for it, say so, I'll decide if I think you are a worthy partner, then PM me, I'll send you the link, we have to submit photos,  and then we'll win a few grand easy peasy.

Oh, it looks like we'd have to both attend an audition in London, so bear that in mind.

Nuclear Optimism

Quote from: Dead kate moss on March 14, 2013, 02:54:25 PM
we have to submit photos

Why would they need to know what applicants look like? Unless they're deliberately picking attractive people so lonely blokes on the internet will tune in aaaaahhhhh.

Queneau

Didn't quite a few Pointless guests end up in the 'attractive' thread? I believe I posted a screenshot for one of you perverts.

Norton Canes

The mind. Just. Boggles.

Just boggles.

The Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Norton Canes

Serge

A team with two teachers in it identified this as a photograph of the Leaning Tower of Pisa during construction.

I'm still laughing an hour later.

Norton Canes

OK, so this contestant is a primary school teacher. Do bear that in mind - a primary school teacher. In the head to head,  the round is 'Famous Buildings'. They show five photos of famous buildings, taken as they were being constructed: the Eiffel Tower (scores about 93), the CN Tower in Toronto, the Eden Project, the Millennium Eye and the Washington Monument.

The contestant (who is, I cannot stress enough times, a primary school teacher), looks at the photos, studies them meticulously, selects the bricky stump of the Washington Monument, and says... "The Leaning Tower of Pisa".

The Leaning Tower. Of Pisa.

And we sat there, waiting for Richard's acerbic[nb]But gracious and well-intentioned, of course[/nb] put-down, but it never came. Not a word. Not a smirk, not a mocking glance, not so much as a trenchant aside. Not a single mention of the fact that this primary school teacher had though she'd seen a photo of the Leaning Tower of Pisa being constructed.

I can only assume that the production team decided it would be prudent to cut the good half hour they must have spent ripping the ripe piss, to stop the show over-running.

Norton Canes

Or, more essentially - what he said.

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 19, 2013, 06:58:04 PM
And we sat there, waiting for Richard's acerbic[nb]But gracious and well-intentioned, of course[/nb] put-down, but it never came. Not a word. Not a smirk, not a mocking glance, not so much as a trenchant aside. Not a single mention of the fact that this primary school teacher had though she'd seen a photo of the Leaning Tower of Pisa being constructed.

In fact (and I've had to watch it again to make sure), while reviewing their suggestion, Osman says something like 'I can see how you might think that', ignoring the infinitely more apposite response 'Are you fucking insane?'.

chocky909

I believe it was the CN tower that they guessed as being the Empire State Building. The Leaning Tower Of Pisa was their backup answer. Also, how only 64% or something of the public recognised the London Eye given that it looked virtually finished except on it's side was quite a surprise. It did look a little like the Millennium Dome so maybe that's what people said instead.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The more recent episodes I've watched have slightly too much messing about and not enough quizzing.

This is because they realise there's good rapport with Alexander and Richard but too much of that as well as asking impertinent personal questions to the contestants does irritate me, even in such a likeable show.

It's not a pub, it's not This Is Your Life, just fucking get on with it please!

holyzombiejesus

I'd like to see them return to the earlier format for round 2, where contestants could choose from a list of answers, some of which would be pointless but also some 'wrong'. That sense of jeopardy and mild peril is sadly missing since they changed this and revamped the set.