Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:37:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Pointless Thread

Started by Dead kate moss, February 20, 2013, 05:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I was going to be going this afternoon, but I got a phone call at 11am from my mate telling me his car had broken, and neither of us are bothered enough to get the train to London to go and see it. No half-second shots of me in the audience, I'm afraid.

syntaxerror

Just watching repeats of this on Challenge, can't believe how dated it looks now. The clothes they wear, the design of the set, the graphics.

El Unicornio, mang

Eh? It's only been going since 2009

Gulftastic

The middle-class student arseholes are back. Luckily, they appear to be complete fucking idiots.

Rolf Harris and Emu, anyone?

ETA, his mate's just beaten him by offering 'Barry Carlisle' as being the singer who had a massive hit with 'White Xmas'.

Deanjam

Barry Carlisle - Dreaming of a White Christmas ...

Queneau

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 19, 2013, 05:24:17 PM
The middle-class student arseholes are back. Luckily, they appear to be complete fucking idiots.

I was convinced I'd clicked on the Monty Python reunion thread.

Benjaminos

I can't work out if you're all ironically enjoying Pointless, or what. Structurally, it's pretty good, I suppose - it's a good twist on the gameshow formula, and they're relatively taxing questions, but Alexander Armstrong just seems so.. neutered, and worse, bland. He's got no patter at all. Every 'chat' with the contestants boils down to them regurgitating some ten-second soundbite about their pointless life, to be met with a response of 'good stuff', and then it's on to the next segment.

I've been re-listening to the Timeghost podcasts recently, which might have something to do with it. He's excellent in those - really sharp, and he's obviously ad-libbing a load of really witty (and often, filthy) things all the way through every episode, and it just seems like such a shame that he's been relegated to inoffensive, tea-time banter.

Andy147

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on November 16, 2013, 03:54:20 PM
I'm a big fan of the show, but the armstrong/osman BANTZ has been getting more and more tedious since it started really.  Richard Osman is the perfect example of someone who was naturally quite affable and amusing as far as regular people go, but since people have told him 'lol you're so funny on pointless, rich!!' he now thinks he's a comedian and is now quite irritating.

I agree, although I think they've reined it in a bit (and I think he's pretty good on panel shows).

He used to write stuff with David Walliams; there's a lengthy bit in Walliams' book about how they fell out when Walliams switched to working with Matt Lucas (I think he said Osman sabotaged something they worked on for Hat-Trick somehow - can't remember the details) - it ends along the lines of "the last time I saw him, he was hosting some daytime quiz show." Walliams might as well have said "Needless to say, I had the last laugh"...

syntaxerror

Quote from: Benjaminos on November 19, 2013, 09:04:18 PM
but Alexander Armstrong just seems so.. neutered, and worse, bland. He's got no patter at all. Every 'chat' with the contestants boils down to them regurgitating some ten-second soundbite about their pointless life, to be met with a response of 'good stuff', and then it's on to the next segment.

it just seems like such a shame that he's been relegated to inoffensive, tea-time banter.

Er, its a teatime quiz show? what exactly are you expecting?

Benjaminos

Quote from: syntaxerror on November 19, 2013, 10:23:40 PM
Er, its a teatime quiz show? what exactly are you expecting?

Well, obviously I'm not expecting nob jokes and general abuse of the contestants. But given that he's best known for being a comedian, would it be too much of a stretch for him to be vaguely funny on occasion?

It's not like I'm infuriated by the situation every second of every day, it's just an observation. Seems a shame for someone who came up through Footlights and had a pretty solid comedy career to settle for tea-time pap, is all.

Famous Mortimer

I think if the last series of Armstrong and Miller had been better, I'd have been more upset about the loss to comedy.

I'm a fan of their banter, especially when Richard Osman goes on about how funny and talented and good-looking Ben Miller is.

Guy

Pointless is the antithesis of its timeslot predecessor, The Weakest Fucking Link - for that reason alone it is The Quizshow Jesus.

The pacing and the machinations of it are sometimes a little slow and repetitive, but you've got a show helmed by two essentially funny, switched-on, reactive people.

If you find Pointless a bit lethargic, compare with the seeping, dry, anaesthetic vapour that fills the Countdown studio. The wittiest person in the world could be a guest, and still crash and burn in front of the narcotically unentertainable Countdown audience (who are just there to be in the warm).

syntaxerror

Quote from: Benjaminos on November 20, 2013, 09:17:40 AM
Well, obviously I'm not expecting nob jokes and general abuse of the contestants. But given that he's best known for being a comedian, would it be too much of a stretch for him to be vaguely funny on occasion?

It's not like I'm infuriated by the situation every second of every day, it's just an observation. Seems a shame for someone who came up through Footlights and had a pretty solid comedy career to settle for tea-time pap, is all.

Hmm, there's not much I can say to that other than it's gentle and genteel  humour probably goes down a storm in the nursing home. This is a quiz show first and foremost, so it has precisely zero obligation to humour. As a quiz show its not too shabby and the seasoning balance is just right. I can understand Alexander Armstrong taking the gig as its regular work.

Benjaminos

well why don't you just bum it then, if you love it so much

Morrison Lard

Anna on today's Pointless.

What an annoying shithouse.

Gulftastic

Especially since lovely cuddly Sophie has been knocked out.

Morrison Lard

Caz and her mam played a blinder this evening.

Gulftastic

Sadly yes, as I could have stood another episode featuring Caz. Brains and beauty.

Queneau

Famous Mortimer

Queneau

You're wrong. Fi is small and pretty and lovely. I want to protect her. The only woman I have wanted on Pointless.

El Unicornio, mang

If Fi lost 20 or so lbs, definitely. Katie was nice but I'm not keen on accents from my home town.

Famous Mortimer

Watching the most recent celebrity episode, one of the rounds was identifying Beatles songs by the number of letters in the words. One of them was 3,2,2 and blanking on the more obvious answer, I said "Yes It Is". Now, the title of the round was Beatles Songs, not Beatles Singles, so would I have broken the show? Would I have won a special coloured Pointless trophy?

Serge

Interesting - 'Yes It Is' was the first song that came to my mind, too!

Cleaners From Venus

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 29, 2013, 07:50:29 PM
Watching the most recent celebrity episode, one of the rounds was identifying Beatles songs by the number of letters in the words. One of them was 3,2,2 and blanking on the more obvious answer, I said "Yes It Is". Now, the title of the round was Beatles Songs, not Beatles Singles, so would I have broken the show? Would I have won a special coloured Pointless trophy?

Weren't they all supposed to be top 40 singles?

Rolf Lundgren

It was Beatles Number One singles so you might have got a nod of appreciation from Richard Osman but not the points (or lack of).

Uncle TechTip

That sounds like the anagrams round? Which means the answer would have been staring at you to some degree. Were you paying attention? You could have been batting away amusing barbs from Richard rather than plaudits. Think of it as a lucky escape.

Queneau

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 30, 2013, 12:14:56 AM
That sounds like the anagrams round? Which means the answer would have been staring at you to some degree. Were you paying attention? You could have been batting away amusing barbs from Richard rather than plaudits. Think of it as a lucky escape.

Well it wasn't the anagram round!

Every word in the song was replaced by the number of letters that made it up, so 1, 4, 2, 4, 4, 4 was
Spoiler alert
I Want To Hold Your Hand
[close]
and so on. I'm pretty sure he would have said top 40 singles so no breaking the game.

grassbath

My favourite Pointless moment was when a pair of elderly Northern gentlemen were required to name three Adam Sandler films. They went for Night at the Museum (Ben Stiller), Night at the Museum 2 (Ben Stiller), and 42 Dates (not a film).