Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:22:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Pointless Thread

Started by Dead kate moss, February 20, 2013, 05:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

You don't have to know the entire back catalogue, just a few of their well-known songs that were hit singles. I hate sport, but I can usually make a stab at a few names whenever sports rounds come up because I've just picked them up over the years from various places. Knowing an answer doesn't mean you have to know everything about something or even like it.

And again, I wasn't having a go at everyone who doesn't know things about The Beatles, I was having a specific go at a man who worked in a record shop and couldn't name a Beatles single.

manticore

Quote from: Serge on February 03, 2018, 10:30:09 PM
You don't have to know the entire back catalogue, just a few of their well-known songs that were hit singles.

Yes but but but maybe they were trying to go for obscure ones, you know, like you're supposed to on Pointless! :)

Serge

So obscure that it wasn't a single? I mean, seriously. We're not talking about a band that released two 7"s on an indie label in the mid-eighties, we're talking about the biggest band ever, which someone WHO WORKS IN A RECORD SHOP should have a passing knowledge of.

manticore

Okay, I wanted to beat you in this life-and-death struggle argument, so I wikipediad Beatles records and found out that 'Roll Over Beethoven' was a single in several countries and was on an EP released in the US. So that may well have been the cause of the man's confusion. A geographical error you could say.

Can you forgive him now please?

Dead Soon

I'll stick up for him too. This certainly isn't like that time when the chap professed to be a *huge* Stones fan, gave album track Wild Horses as an answer (when looking for basically any Stones top 40 single) and looked furious when it scored 100.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Serge on February 03, 2018, 10:41:04 PM
So obscure that it wasn't a single? I mean, seriously. We're not talking about a band that released two 7"s on an indie label in the mid-eighties, we're talking about the biggest band ever, which someone WHO WORKS IN A RECORD SHOP should have a passing knowledge of.

again, I couldn't really come up with any Beatles singles. Knowing Me, Knowing You? H.E.L.P? I know their album titles. Abbott Road, White, Sgt Peppers and the like.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: manticore on February 03, 2018, 11:26:53 PM
Okay, I wanted to beat you in this life-and-death struggle argument, so I wikipediad Beatles records and found out that 'Roll Over Beethoven' was a single in several countries and was on an EP released in the US. So that may well have been the cause of the man's confusion. A geographical error you could say.

Can you forgive him now please?

Nah, wasn't Roll Over Beethoven a Buddy Holly hit in the 80s?

Isnt Anything

I believe ELO did it way back in the 1940s, didnt they ?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Isnt Anything on February 04, 2018, 02:13:17 AM
I believe ELO did it way back in the 1940s, didnt they ?

You are right, Elvis' Lift Omelette has a number 5 smash with it

Dr Rock

I'm a huge Beatles fan, but struggle to know which of their songs were singles (much like many 60s bands that I have all the albums of, Stones, Kinks etc), especially out of the earlier albums. Roll Over Beethoven was on With The Beatles. The track listing is

1.   "It Won't Be Long"   
2.   "All I've Got to Do"   
3.   "All My Loving"   
4.   "Don't Bother Me"
5.   "Little Child"   
6.   "Till There Was You"
7.   "Please Mister Postman"
Side two
1.   "Roll Over Beethoven"
2.   "Hold Me Tight"
3.   "You Really Got a Hold on Me"
4.   "I Wanna Be Your Man"   
5.   "Devil in Her Heart"
6.   "Not a Second Time"   
7.   "Money (That's What I Want)"

I couldn't tell you which of those were released as singles, apart from All My Loving (I'm assuming). Possibly 'Money' too?

Isnt Anything

tbh i am only teasing. i am with serge on this one.

while i was on the previous page i saw this

Quote from: yesitsme on January 09, 2018, 12:30:34 PM
Finally got our date.

7th Feb.  You can watch it.  I won't be.

lest us not forget. this wednesday then.

manticore

Quote from: Isnt Anything on February 04, 2018, 05:37:19 PM
tbh i am only teasing. i am with serge on this one.

That's just because you think he's the underdog and you always side with the underdog. But the real underdog here is the poor persecuted pilloried man on Pointless, punished for striking out against the normie consensus on the matter of Beatles songs that were released as singles, by the xenophobic tyranny of the doctrine of 'only British singles please'. 'So "Roll Over Beethoven" was a big hit in Canada' you say 'so bloody what, it's only Britain that counts, our glorious motherland!'.

You disgust me. I thought you were better than this.

Isnt Anything

I dont know whether to wave my willy at you or hang my head and say 'no no youre right of course' but i think it is worth pointing out that Pointless always specify Official UK Top 40.

Dr Rock

What was the exact question, and what were some Pointless answers?
If it's 'Beatles singles', I'd guess at any early one that I reckon few would think of - 'From Me To You.'

As for the LP With The Beatles, come on, which tracks were singles?

Answer- None of them

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 04, 2018, 06:42:44 PM
If it's 'Beatles singles', I'd guess at any early one that I reckon few would think of - 'From Me To You.'

Answer- None of them

I should be so lucky?

DrGreggles

Answer- None of them

It's surprising how many famous Beatles songs weren't initially singles though.
On a previous episode of Pointless about Beatles singles one of the bastards got lucky by opting for Yesterday, which was only a hit in the mid 70s when it was issued as a single when a compilation album was released.

Of course, the best smart arse answers for a Pointless round on Beatles singles would be Real Love, Baby It's You and The Beatles' Movie Medley!

manticore

Quote from: Isnt Anything on February 04, 2018, 06:30:28 PM
I dont know whether to wave my willy at you or hang my head and say 'no no youre right of course' but i think it is worth pointing out that Pointless always specify Official UK Top 40.

My audacious theoy is that he'd seen the 'Roll Over Beethoven' single in the record shop he works in and presumed it was a normal record and not some obscure foriegn rarity. I bet that's what he'd say if you asked him. Perhaps I will ask him.

manticore

Answer- None of them

I would have guessed 'All My Loving' as you did, and wikipedia tells me that it was so popular that it was released on not one but two EPs, which are easy to confuse with singles and indeed look just like them. So the whole thing is very confusing.

All I can think is: That poor man. That poor poor man.

batwings

42 people identified The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy in today's episode.

manticore

Quote from: yesitsme on January 09, 2018, 12:30:34 PM
Finally got our date.

7th Feb.  You can watch it.  I won't be.

An extra fun feature in today's Pointless: Spot the Cabber! I reckon I will get this one.

Gulftastic

If you're Kalmia, hellllllooooooooooooooooooo!

ETA Deffo James.

Changed my mind, Tony.

ETA (again). The final category. What were you thinking??

buzby

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 07, 2018, 05:16:40 PM
If you're Kalmia, hellllllooooooooooooooooooo!

ETA Deffo James.

Changed my mind, Tony.

ETA (again). The final category. What were you thinking??
It's Tony. I think James is also NotBBCer James_In_Preston too.

asids

Good work, yesitsme (or can we call you Tony now?). A shame about the final round, those categories were right shitters.

And someone needs to make a GIF of that pose thing you did after the wine joke.

manticore

Oh damn, I was sure it was James! He had that air of melancholia. Tony seemed too happy to be a cabber.

buzby

Quote from: manticore on February 07, 2018, 10:29:07 PM
Oh damn, I was sure it was James! He had that air of melancholia. Tony seemed too happy to be a cabber.
Having met yesitsme/helpmaboab at a NotBBC mini-meet a few years ago (so mini it was just me and him) I can vouch for him being very funny and a jolly nice chap.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: buzby on February 07, 2018, 10:36:51 PM
Having met yesitsme/helpmaboab at a NotBBC mini-meet a few years ago (so mini it was just me and him) I can vouch for him being very funny and a jolly nice chap.

He used to do stand-up gigs, didn't he? Dunno if he ever did that London circuit that's all the rage.

buzby

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on February 08, 2018, 05:08:39 PM
He used to do stand-up gigs, didn't he? Dunno if he ever did that London circuit that's all the rage.
I think he still does up in That Glasgow. He was a finalist in the BBC New Comedy Awards a good few years ago too

Dr Rock

Fast-forwarded to the final round. Fuck what a shit selection. Still the prize was only £500 each, hardly worth winning.

the

Not sure if it was a repeat, but did I spot another (ex?) CaBber on today's Pointless?

manticore

It was a repeat. Which one was the Cabber?