Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:59:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Pointless Thread

Started by Dead kate moss, February 20, 2013, 05:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Quote from: manticore on February 22, 2018, 10:32:29 PMIt was a repeat. Which one was the Cabber?

The bloke of the team that went out in the head-to-head.

I can't recall his CaB name, though I don't wish to 'unmask' him or anything in case he'd rather be forgotten. I just thought someone else might have seen him and said 'yep'.

manticore

He was a bit overshadowed by his partner, the rather vivacious performance artist. She seemed like fun. I think he was a performance artist too? Can't remember clearly.

yesitsme

I've not been on for a while due to actually having to do some work during my hours of employment but I did see this so thanks for the king comments.  Buzby you know you're my favourite!

I was pretty pleased with the way it came out, although the little chat at the beginning was not the way it went down I can tell you.  Barstards cut out my best line(s).

Never saw Mr Fistbump on the day but was glad he was on as he took the full force of Twitter's ire while we escaped fairly unscathed.

Young Fistbumpess took a lot of the admiration but I thought the two girls from Warrington were very nice indeed.

I will say that whoever edits this deserves a knighthood for making A+O look like friends when they clearly despise each other now.

Dead Soon

Bit of a puzzling one today, during a music round featuring song titles containing people's names, with the person's name left blank. The contestant, who was a DJ on a local radio station, pulled out the dead rabbit in the form of ''That's a bit before my time'' when it came to filling in ''A Boy Named ___ (Johnny Cash, 1969)'', but then immediately and confidently followed this by correctly naming ''Proud Mary'' (Creedence Clearwater Revival, 1969)''. You fucking what, mate? Richard, as ever, expressed genuine irritation.

manticore

I've noticed before on Pointless that the people they poll are surprisingly (to me) cognizant of Creedence. I mean I have heard of 'Proud Mary' but I don't know how it goes or anything. I definitely think they poll more older people.

Okay now I've listened to it I did vaguely know it. (Alright, not really my type of thing.)

the

Quote from: yesitsme on March 12, 2018, 05:31:00 PMI will say that whoever edits this deserves a knighthood for making A+O look like friends when they clearly despise each other now.

Been meaning to ask - could you elaborate on this?

yesitsme

Quote from: the on April 04, 2018, 09:25:15 AM
Been meaning to ask - could you elaborate on this?

Yeah. Of course.

I'm not sure if it was a bit of a bad mood, or a long standing hatred of each other but I got the feeling they're like the couple from the shop in Father Ted.  All nicey nicey when the cameras are on but once they've switched off they're calling each other every name under the sun.

Osmond will NOT let Xander get a laugh.  Every time he tries a gag yer man tramples all over it.  Surely a double act thrives on a some good yesanding/notonlybutalso but Richard loves seems to love nothing more than shitting on whatever low grade quip his partner can come up with.  One of 'ems Sid and one's Eddie and there's no way Richard is going to be Sid.

The worst bit was the round where we had to pick countries that bordered other countries that began with the letter 'C'.  The round was introuduced to us as 'The Letter C' (can't remember if they said that on telly).  Osmo says to Xand 'I always had you down as a C, or a W at best.'  Obviously Xander had no come back - he's a zero but I remember thinking at the time if he flew over Ozzies desk at him, sending his geps flying and pinning him against the wall he'd have been well within his right.

For the record the chat about me working in travel went like this....

'Tony, what do you do?'
'I'm a travel agent Xander'
'Travel? I can do all that on a computer can't I?'
'Well, I can get a machine a pub to ask me quiz questions so let's not go down that road...
'No, no I didn't mean that I meant....
'Xander, we barely know each other and you're make me unemployed....
'No, I just think it's quaint that travel agents still exist...

So maybe there's a bit of Osman in all of us.

To be fair to them I did call Armstrong 'Alistair' first time as I was repeating the name of the youngest cricketer to score 1,000 test runs in my head over and over because if I've learned one thing from my quiz show forays it's that my mind has a tendency to flush like a toilet at exactly the wrong moment.

I didn't see it but one of the catagories on our final board came up the other night.
QPR managers since 2000.
I'd have said yer Ian Holloways of this world, yer Alan Pardews of this world and yer Gerry Francisis of this world.

Francis would have won us £500.00 each.

Leaves a bad taste in the mouth that.

Serge

Before I was hit with my health problems, myself and a friend had applied to be contestants on this. Even though that's obviously not going to happen any more, we still send each other FB messages after each show saying "Would have pissed that one," or "Nope - would definitely have fucked that up."

Has the 'John le Carre On Screen' round ever been picked in the final? Would like to know which films or TV adaptations they'd pick for that. In my mind it's 'Smiley's People' and 'A Perfect Spy' and I'd clean up. It's more likely to be the TV & film versions of 'Tinker Tailor' and 'Night Manager', though isnt it?  Where I'd still get a few poiontless answers, I think.

Had a complete blind spot with the Father Ted question last night. Was convinced that Maurice O'Donoghue was going to be a pointless answer, but apparently not. I knew the guy who played Cyril had the surname Whycherley, but couldn't think of his first name. And then completely blanked on naming Jim Norton, despite the fact that my favourite episode is 'Kicking Bishop Brennan Up The Arse'!

manticore

Jim Norton is a great reader of audiobooks. I want to listen to his unabridged 'Ulysses' one day.

Serge

Managed to get two pointless answers on the Dexy's question in the final. Nice to see that they went for that obscure, little-known track 'Geno' as their answer.

EOLAN

Well had a day off so got to watch this today.
Would have got three pointless answers in final but was horrible team play in that round by the pair.
Probably the guy at fault cos the girl was obviously shooting in the dark with top selling singles of 2014.

Guy knew some sport and should have told her shut up and name three footballers from 2014. He tried Rashford with no thinking time.

Three answers I would have gone with: Ben Foster, Fraser Forster and Adam Lallana all Pointless.

Malcy

Quote from: EOLAN on May 22, 2018, 07:30:57 PM
Well had a day off so got to watch this today.
Would have got three pointless answers in final but was horrible team play in that round by the pair.
Probably the guy at fault cos the girl was obviously shooting in the dark with top selling singles of 2014.

Guy knew some sport and should have told her shut up and name three footballers from 2014. He tried Rashford with no thinking time.

Three answers I would have gone with: Ben Foster, Fraser Forster and Adam Lallana all Pointless.

I only came up with one answer for all 3 categories, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, pointless. Most Pointless answers i ever got in a final was 12+. Alan Partridge episode titles and i got a few more for the other 2 but can't remember what they were.

yesitsme

Eggheads are looking for contestants.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: yesitsme on May 23, 2018, 08:37:36 AM
Eggheads are looking for contestants.
...that CJ threw into canals?

the

Quote from: yesitsme on May 23, 2018, 08:37:36 AMEggheads are looking for contestants a kick in the genitals

Maybe it's my sports-repelling partiality, but there seems to be a disproportionate number of sports questions on Pointless. There won't necessarily be a words or TV question in every episode, but there always seems to be at least one sodding sports one. And it's clearly so because Osman loves it.

'Oh great, let's dissect the fascinating world of golf/tennis/cricket players for seven minutes, somebody help me unrivet myself from the sofa.'

Usually when someone wins the jackpot it's because they're wearing a polo shirt / a Nick Ferrari lookalike, and thus are dull enough to be able to rattle off a list of sportspeople's names. Lengthy recall of sportspeople or team statistics is just the socially-legitimised face of trainspotting.

yesitsme

They're only hard if you don't know the answers.

the

It's the boringness and ubiquity I object to.

You may not know the answers in a words or music round but at least most people can relate to it enough to have a fun stab at it. Squinting and trying to remember if there was a man called Gavin something who played golf to an acceptable standard in a specific year is a different kettle of shit.

JesusAndYourBush

When there's a sports round I go and do the washing up.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 23, 2018, 01:16:11 PMWhen there's a sports round I go and do the washing up.

I have a dishwasher. Luckily she doesn't like the sport rounds either.

the

Quote from: the on May 23, 2018, 09:40:33 AMUsually when someone wins the jackpot it's because they're wearing a polo shirt / a Nick Ferrari lookalike, and thus are dull enough to be able to rattle off a list of sportspeople's names.

And vindication in the form of today's episode! One Nick Ferrari droid who got knocked out in the first round when not presented with a question about sport, and then a pair of lads (one with a poppable collar) who were in their element assigning men's names to teams on the level of Sporting Club Bang and Dynamo Bender. Creaked through to the final and then crapped out when not presented with more sport. Bullsarse

the

It gets better. "I like sports questions" Esso tumblers droid and his wife get through to final yesterday. One of the four categories is World Cup Football, so wife knows she must bin the other three and defers to "I like sports questions" - they choose it.

His task was to name any scorer in a WC final over literally the last 70 years, and "I like sports questions" gives three utterly uninspired names that were all wrong anyway. So the compendious sporting brain we've heard so much about was tested to crumbling point by a world football question with a massive timespan.

I dredged up three more obscure answers than him and I don't give a twat about football. (Whether they were correct or not, god knows.)

Norton Canes

He went for Didier Drogba (thought he was French), Roberto Baggio (more famous for not scoring a goal in a Word Cup final) and... Geoff Peters. Yeah.

Unless they'd like had it as their Mastermind subject or something, why would you ever choose a category that only one of you knew anything about?

EOLAN

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 25, 2018, 09:28:23 AM
He went for Didier Drogba (thought he was French), Roberto Baggio (more famous for not scoring a goal in a Word Cup final) and... Geoff Peters. Yeah.

Unless they'd like had it as their Mastermind subject or something, why would you ever choose a category that only one of you knew anything about?

For a semi-casual fan I could forgive the Baggio one as a guess. Love the classic quiz pressure answer of combining Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters names together.
Anyway, my best guess would probably be Johann Neeskens. 

Were there two other categories of questions to choose from as well.

On the Year Questions, personally I am rubbish with anything after 1994-1998. Can compartmentalise all the stuff beforehand even though most of it should be before my time but since then everything just blurs together and I don't take much interest. anyway.

Norton Canes

Quote from: EOLAN on May 25, 2018, 10:46:05 AM
For a semi-casual fan I could forgive the Baggio one as a guess. Love the classic quiz pressure answer of combining Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters names together.
Anyway, my best guess would probably be Johann Neeskens. 

Were there two other categories of questions to choose from as well

Three others. Would have to check on the iPlayer but one was about child film stars, surely that'as worth a punt, everyone's seen some films.

One of the recent categories was 'Maths', did that get picked? Can't imagine what three Pointless-style questions would be on maths.

the

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 25, 2018, 10:57:04 AMOne of the recent categories was 'Maths', did that get picked? Can't imagine what three Pointless-style questions would be on maths.

- Name a number between 1 and 100
- Name a button on a scientific calculator
- How many nuts are in this jar

asids

Quote from: the on May 25, 2018, 09:07:50 AM
It gets better. "I like sports questions" Esso tumblers droid and his wife get through to final yesterday. One of the four categories is World Cup Football, so wife knows she must bin the other three and defers to "I like sports questions" - they choose it.

His task was to name any scorer in a WC final over literally the last 70 years, and "I like sports questions" gives three utterly uninspired names that were all wrong anyway. So the compendious sporting brain we've heard so much about was tested to crumbling point by a world football question with a massive timespan.

I dredged up three more obscure answers than him and I don't give a twat about football. (Whether they were correct or not, god knows.)

That was brilliant, he went into it fairly confident and picked three terrible answers.

My two choices were Puskas and Petit, Puskas was pointless which I was surprised at but Petit wasn't apparently - the only one from 1990 onwards that was pointless was Materazzi.

Norton Canes

That 60 seconds can be a nightmare if your thought process seizes up though. I just kept thinking "Rudi... Gullit. No! Rudi... Gullit. No! Rudi... Gullit. No! Rudi... Gullit. No!"

Voeller, and it was pointless.

DrGreggles

Quote from: asids on May 25, 2018, 11:56:10 AM
That was brilliant, he went into it fairly confident and picked three terrible answers.

My two choices were Puskas and Petit, Puskas was pointless which I was surprised at but Petit wasn't apparently - the only one from 1990 onwards that was pointless was Materazzi.

Altobelli is probably a good one.
Bertoni? Bonnesegna? Naninga? Brown?
Not sureally I'd class any scorers in a WC Final as particularly obscure though. Even the guy with one arm.

EOLAN

Quote from: asids on May 25, 2018, 11:56:10 AM

Matterazzi. I wouldn't have gone with him thinking it was too obvious. With his outstanding game of scoring, getting Zidane sent-off and smashing home his penalty.
Similarly Puskas - though I wasn't sure if he scored in final or not.
Sorry for all those who hate sport questions for me always jumping in on these ones.