Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:34:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Pointless Thread

Started by Dead kate moss, February 20, 2013, 05:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOLAN

Quote from: the on May 25, 2018, 09:27:01 PM
NAMES

of MEN

Thaddeus
Mikhail
Grover

In that order please Xander.

manticore

What is happening in this crazy world when they start a new series of Pointless and then abruptly stop it and then don't even broadcast repeats instead? What is this impostor 'Impossible' creature? How am I supposed to maintain my sanity?

These are my questions.

Clownbaby

I don't enjoy the conversations with the contestants. I genuinely do not care if Helen is a primary school teacher. I want to get down to thinking of the most obscure actor from Terminator

Malcy

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 17, 2018, 04:51:32 PM
I don't enjoy the conversations with the contestants. I genuinely do not care if Helen is a primary school teacher. I want to get down to thinking of the most obscure actor from Terminator

I barely watch Pointless these days. I used to record a weeks worth and fly through them in half an hr.

Sport round? Skip. Contestant chit chat? Skip.

Bits I have caught recently have made me realise how excruciating it is watching live. Some contestants are taking FUCKING AGES to answer a question. Even ones who are already through, fill in the board, then spend the next two minutes deciding which answer to go for.

Give a noise or just fart an answer. It doesn't matter, you're through. Fucking get on with it! Alexander & Richard's banter was never that great but even that's dire now.

manticore

I will have no truck with this blasphemy. Pointless is Pointless and it is my comfort blanket. It takes its time, it's not for the fast people. It's slow, gentle, civilised and terribly nice. When Osman is not funny and goes on and on with a nothing joke  it is good because it shows it's not some fast patter swish shiny light entertainment show. I'm stretching a point here.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 25, 2018, 09:28:23 AM
He went for Didier Drogba (thought he was French), Roberto Baggio (more famous for not scoring a goal in a Word Cup final) and... Geoff Peters. Yeah.

Unless they'd like had it as their Mastermind subject or something, why would you ever choose a category that only one of you knew anything about?
au contraire, it's more stupid when people get to the final, and pick the category they can both "have a stab at".  it just ends up with three solid but never pointless answers.  if one of you has more of an interest in one of the categories, even if not to a anoraky degree, go for that one.  7/10 knowledge and 0/10 knowledge is better than two 5/10s.  i have watched lots of pointless and i'm definitely right.

slight bias in that i'm fucking shit at film, but i feel like it's generally a very bad idea to go for it in the final unless you're some siskel and ebert motherfuckers.

as a more general point(gerrit), i've grown to hate the show, really.  when they drag out a new/slightly reworked question it's still fun (the one they did on the celeb version where they actually played clips from songs should be done more often for example), but the last two episodes me and momz watched had fucking US STATES and CHEMICAL ELEMENTS yet a fucking gain and we just agreed to fuck it off.  deleted the series link and everything. 

billyandthecloneasaurus

also i like sports questions but i feel like they have a disproportionate number of tennis and golf questions relative to their popularity. 

batwings

Australian bird: E_U

55% got it right.

Gulftastic

Jive Bunny got me a Pointless in the final round. Swing the mood!

Uncle TechTip

Yes, and me! I also had Shaky in the mix. Real tough rules though, they implied that they wouldn't have accepted R Kelly even though he was pointless for the 2000s, but they said it for the 90s? Why make it harder.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on September 10, 2018, 07:35:31 PM
Why make it harder.

Because otherwise it'd be too easy. Everyone else has three categories at the final.

Lost Oliver

Mrs LO saw AA buying bulbs over the weekend. You know. Like a normal person.

She was going to ask for his autograph but figured it would be pointless.

Gulftastic

Lauren on tonight's ep....

ETA sadly, not the sharpest tool. She even played the 'before my time' card.

manticore

Yesterday Osman did his 'nucular' thing again. There's no excuse, he's not bloody George W Bush.

They've done some excellent questions recently, like today's Chancellors of the Exchequer one, which was good because I got four out of five of them.

I hate television and I hate quiz shows, but I won't hear a word said against Pointless.

marquis_de_sad

Richard Herring stands like a spoilt schoolboy. Or an overconfident nudist.

manticore

Richard Osman just called a contestant's answer 'bullshit'. He did, he really did. On national teatime BBC television.

How will the nation respond?

mjwilson

Quote from: manticore on September 18, 2018, 06:52:03 PM
Richard Osman just called a contestant's answer 'bullshit'. He did, he really did. On national teatime BBC television.

How will the nation respond?

Depends, was he right?

Ambient Sheep

Any chance of a timecode, or at least an approximate location? :-)

It IS interesting how the word seems to have lessened its impact over the years whereas the parent word's offensiveness seems to have stayed about the same, but I'm still surprised that it got broadcast at that time of day.  Will be worth checking the next Ofcom summary or two.

manticore

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 18, 2018, 10:08:27 PM
Any chance of a timecode, or at least an approximate location? :-)

It IS interesting how the word seems to have lessened its impact over the years whereas the parent word's offensiveness seems to have stayed about the same, but I'm still surprised that it got broadcast at that time of day.  Will be worth checking the next Ofcom summary or two.

Look 17 minutes 50 seconds into today's episode on the iplayer. Osman didn't literally say 'bullshit', but he did say 'bullshit'. You'll see. I think only about half the audience got it, but I laughed, though a bit sorry for the poor contestant.

Gulftastic

Kerry on tonight's. If I worked with her, I'd be hopelessly infatuated.

ETA and Velma from Scooby Doo is on another podium.

mjwilson

"That answer really was Bravo Sierra." I think the contestant knew they were just spewing words at random so I don't think we should feel bad for them.

manticore

Yeah but he was a bit of a rabbit in the headlights and I felt sorry for him.

manticore

Is it 'Shadow' or 'Shadows'? I thought to myself. Oh well, if I got just the s wrong, they wouldn't penalize me would they? and anyway no one else will have the same confusion.

Woman says 'Shadow'. 100 points! Callow youth cold-bloodedly takes advantage.

It's a bear pit that programme, wouldn't get me going on it in a million years. yesitsme must have nerves of steel.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Great celebrity edition with James Acaster and Alex Horne among others. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvfnD3k7zk0
Don't know if its a repeat thats already been discussed, but I'm in Australia and watching these on YouTube so cut me some slack.

Talking of Australia...they have their own Pointless now. Can't find any on youtube but as the photo suggests, it is absolutely not okay.

Ornlu

Which one of you was on today's broadcast, hoping in the final round for "singles by The Fall?"

bgmnts

Clint Eastwood films.

Absolute Power and Paint Your Wagon were NOT Pointless answers. Blew my mind!

In the Line of Fire was, in though.