Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:28:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Big Bad "Body Horror" Bonanza

Started by alan nagsworth, February 21, 2013, 01:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pube

I like how the profile picture they used for Cronenberg on Rotten Tomatoes is this one from Nightbreed.

phes

Quote from: madhair60 on February 21, 2013, 04:22:59 PM
Nekromantik, that's the (corpse) fucker.  Cheers.

More suggestions later if arsed.

Nekromantik was screened just a couple of months back in Leeds as part of a double bill. Apparently it was the first uncut, legal screening in the UK since 1985 or something and afterward Jorg Buttgereit (spelling?) gave a question and answer session. In fact, I think the Leeds International Film Festival funded the BBFC review of it in exchange for Buttgereit's appearance.

Perhaps unsurprisingly I was not able to sell that night to anyone. Not one of the Leeds film society was interested in coming, so I went on my own.

Not one, and i've not forgiven them for that. If it had been The Shawshank Redemption they'd have fucked their way through a pile of dead bodies to get to their seat.

I can't tell you just how angry it makes me when people don't want to watch Necrophilia movies.

Mini

Quote from: remedial_gash on February 28, 2013, 02:00:45 AM
Videodrome is body-horror, right? If so, a shit load of Cronenberg would be included, like Shivers and Rabid

Definitely, The Brood is a good one too.

Kane Jones

I must admit, I assumed Nags had already included most of Cronenberg's work (and had cherry-picked The Fly), but I may be mistaken.  Maybe because Cronenberg is the first director most people would think of when it comes to body horror.

Mini

Of course, he is the king of body horror. It doesn't hurt to be specific though.

Moribunderast

Thanks to this thread, I just watched Excision. Fantastic little film - don't know how it passed me by. American Mary is next on the list.

Not particularly grisly but I enjoyed Teeth which is a body-horror of sorts though, as I say, not in the league of some mentioned here when it comes to gore. It has a similar tone to some of the better indie horror films of the past decade (May, Excision, The Woman) and has some fun scenes -
Spoiler alert
a gynecologist getting his arm trapped inside a woman as her Vagina Dentata goes to work.
[close]

I've not seen many body-horror flicks so keep the recommendations coming! Hell, I'd take recommendations for regular (recentish) horror films. I feel like I've seen most but as Excision proved, there are bound to be some gems hidden away.

acrow

here are two short films directed by nacho cerda. both films are about half an hour long and i think they're both worth your time.

the first is aftermath. it's quite quite gruesome and truly deals with the potential horrors a body may experience.

there's not much to spoil i guess but the youtube description of the video tells you pretty much what you're getting into. i would suggest trying not to read it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAqNqWGedyI

the second film is genesis. whether this is horror or not is debatable i suppose. i like it a lot though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwMkTUHEHlM

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Kane Jones on February 28, 2013, 09:18:47 AM
I must admit, I assumed Nags had already included most of Cronenberg's work (and had cherry-picked The Fly), but I may be mistaken.  Maybe because Cronenberg is the first director most people would think of when it comes to body horror.

I actually haven't. I've got The Brood queued up but otherwise I've only seen The Fly and Videodrome. He has quite a large selection of work now and I've heard he's moved away from the nasties in his recent work so I wasn't sure where to start. I do now though, so thanks. :)

Kane Jones

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 28, 2013, 03:16:32 PM
I actually haven't. I've got The Brood queued up but otherwise I've only seen The Fly and Videodrome. He has quite a large selection of work now and I've heard he's moved away from the nasties in his recent work so I wasn't sure where to start. I do now though, so thanks. :)

Then I must apologise for the assumption!  The Brood is great, but do check out Shivers, Rabid and Scanners too.  They are nice, short and to-the-point films, great stories and with some genuinely grotesque moments.  Essential films if you love the genre!

Oh and do check out Re-Animator and From Beyond by Stuart Gordon too.  Pure 80s body horror with added dark humour to boot - you'll love them!

Blumf

When, if ever, is Scanners getting a proper Blu-Ray release? I know there was some half-arsed German release

Hum.. these people are apparently getting to it this year
http://secondsightfilms.co.uk/

Are they any cop?

phes

On the subject of Cronenbergs I really enjoyed 'Antiviral'. 

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2099556/

And yeah, Excision was excellent and completely blew my expectations out of the water. In fact I think it was one of my favourite films of last year.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: remedial_gash on February 28, 2013, 02:00:45 AMToby Mangle

I read that as "Toby Mengele". Which really, really would have been so much more appropriate for this thread.

Videodrome is just a classic 80s film. You could argue that is a better filmic interpretation of Philip K.Dick's fiction than Blade Runner was. Cronenberg went on to do eXistenZ, which is pretty much a PKD tribute film.

Mini

The short film Other by Daniel del Purgatorio is a brilliantly haunting piece of medical body horror.

Lieutenant Longstay

Quote from: Blumf on February 28, 2013, 03:39:29 PM
When, if ever, is Scanners getting a proper Blu-Ray release? I know there was some half-arsed German release

Hum.. these people are apparently getting to it this year
http://secondsightfilms.co.uk/

Are they any cop?

I don't know if they're any cop. I hope so because Scanners blu ray is getting released in the UK on 8th April. Also Criterion are releasing Naked Lunch the very next day.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Lieutenant  Longstay on March 01, 2013, 07:30:38 AMScanners blu ray is getting released in the UK on 8th April. Also Criterion are releasing Naked Lunch the very next day.

Excellent news.  Have karma.

danyulx

Street Trash (1987) is a very strange film and is well worth a watch. It includes scenes of The Homeless melting alive in multi-colour from drinking dodgy liquor anyway, which as I understand constitutes as "body horror". Or if it doesn't, it bloody well should.

acrow

Quote from: acrow on February 28, 2013, 11:40:52 AM
here are two short films directed by nacho cerda. both films are about half an hour long and i think they're both worth your time.

the first is aftermath. it's quite quite gruesome and truly deals with the potential horrors a body may experience.

there's not much to spoil i guess but the youtube description of the video tells you pretty much what you're getting into. i would suggest trying not to read it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAqNqWGedyI

the second film is genesis. whether this is horror or not is debatable i suppose. i like it a lot though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwMkTUHEHlM

well i liked them.

bastards.

VegaLA

Quote from: Kane Jones on February 28, 2013, 03:24:09 PM
The Brood is great, but do check out Shivers, Rabid and Scanners too.

The trailer for Rabid was at the start of the Intervision release of Dawn of the Dead. Would fuck me up before the main film started. Some memories scar you for LIFE!

"You can't trust your neighbour...you can't trust your...."