Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:59:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daft Punk 2013

Started by The Βoston Crab, March 03, 2013, 06:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Βoston Crab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN1ItiEDBpw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This ad appeared last night during SNL. Sounds somewhat like you'd expect Daft Punk and Nile Rodgers to sound! Internet meltdown nonetheless.

A few additional details and rumours about their forthcoming album. They've worked with Paul Williams (songwriter for Bugsy Malone, my favourite film). They've worked with Nile Rodgers who has talked about them jamming in his apartment and buzzing off new technology together, he reckons it will be a game changer. Chilly Gonzales has played a bit of piano on it. Panda Bear has discussed potential collaboration with them. Moroder was recorded speaking about his life on three mics, one from the 60s, one from the 70s and one contemporary. Each mic was used to capture him talking about the respective period of his life and career. He said to the engineer 'who would even know?' to which the reply came 'they would'. It's also apparently not an electronic album and as such won't be toured until next year but the material will have to be adapted, much the same as the Human After All material was for Alive 2007.

It's apparently coming out March 13th but that seems quite soon, considering this promo ad is the first we've heard from them officially, and still no suggestion of date.

chocky909

Sounds good. I can't wait to hear the whole track. Oh wait... it'll probably be virtually identical to playing that clip over and over for 5 minutes.

Seriously though, I really like the sound of that. It's reminiscent of Stardust and I'd much rather a return to Discovery territory than get more of the squelchiness of the last album.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned up in a couple of weeks. It seems to be the trendy thing to do for the big acts, casually announcing the new album is to be released in a few days. No promos, self released Radiohead style.

The Βoston Crab

Here's that 8-bar loop looped for two minutes:

http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/76911149/file.html

I also really like it and I thought I was way past giving much of a shit about Daft Punk. I'm also excited by the idea of them doing a Steely Dan type thing, getting a load of people in to collaborate on bits and bobs and then stitching it all together in the editing suite and running it through the Daft Punk Machine.

chocky909

Those rumours (that you added after I replied) sound great. I've wanted them to loosen up a bit and become a bit more jammy and Human After All disappointed me as it was very repetitive but not in a good housey 1st album way.

The Βoston Crab

There are also a couple of relative unknown session musicians who've confirmed work on the album, a bassist and drummer so definitely sounds like it will be something in that ball park. I think that what's always kept me coming back is their warmth of sound and deceptively simple melodies. They really know their way around a chord progression. This could be special.

Garam

I thought that 15 second clip was complete and utter shit, but I liked Derezzed from a couple years back. I want this to be good.

The Βoston Crab

My guess (based on this miniscule snippet and assorted miniscule interview titbits, all of which are compiled above) is that it will sound nothing like Derezzed, no electro/techno/dance production sounds to it at all. It's quite funny that the Tron soundtrack is their most successful record ever in terms of sales and chart placings. I couldn't bear it at first, thought that was the end of DP and me but going back to it, parts of it are absolutely enormous. It just isn't what I wanted at the time.

This sounds more and more like a lost Steely Dan song to me.

Pseudopath

Quote from: The Βoston Crab on March 03, 2013, 06:57:00 AM
This ad appeared last night during SNL.

A bunch of washed-up jokers, trotting out the same tired ideas each time to an audience of masochistic barking seals...

...advertising their new album during an episode of SNL.

Only joking. That new track is thoroughly dripping in Bangalter goodness.

The Βoston Crab

Album coming out 20th May in France.

It's called Random Access Memories.

New SNL ad last night, shows album cover plus another snippet of what I think is the same song we heard last time and which I think is called Lucky, based on Paul Williams' comment that he'd written lyrics for a song of the same name. I'm excited for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKKGrKaix44&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just been on the UK iTunes and it's coming out the same day over here too.

*ejaculates*

momatt

This is the most excited I've been about 15 seconds of audio than I have been in quite a while.

But what I'm really looking forward to is Kanye West fucking it all up in about 6 years.

imitationleather

Quote from: momatt on March 25, 2013, 10:41:25 AM
This is the most excited I've been about 15 seconds of audio than I have been in quite a while.

Ditto. And I wasn't at all arsed about Daft Punk or this album before I heard it. There must be something about that tune which leaves people really, really wanting more.

momatt

Quote from: imitationleather on March 25, 2013, 10:48:57 AM
Ditto. And I wasn't at all arsed about Daft Punk or this album before I heard it. There must be something about that tune which leaves people really, really wanting more.

Yes, the clip must be mingled with some form of audio hypnosis.  I don't even usually like music.
Robots are probably immune to this.  Which explains why my girlfriend is left cold by it all.

The Βoston Crab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh20wGjXvy0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is a surprising and fantastic remix of the two clips that have been released so far. I'll know that sounds ridiculous but the dude who's done it has come up with something pretty damn good, the nod to the Kompakt shaffel around 3:00 is particularly delightful. This will keep me ticking over til what I assume will be next month's single.

Also, Pharrell on three tracks which I'm less excited about but I suppose they've never done a bad collaboration, they know what's what.

imitationleather

The worrying thing about remixes like that is that it'll turn out to be far superior to the song itself when it's released.

But yeah, that remix you posted has put me in the mood for listening to Le Knight Club and so on all day today now! It's sunny outside as well!

Beagle 2

That's great! I wasn't sure about the bit where it all started doubling up, and then I realised I'd opened the same vid in another window by mistake. This marks the end of my short and disappointing DJ career.

chocky909

I had the same thing with an Obama speech accidentally playing in another tab. It went quite well.

chocky909

The Βoston Crab

Excited. I like the Creators Project stuff with Animal Collective and this has whet my appetite even more. Get Lucky is going to be a monster.

The Βoston Crab

http://www.konbini.com/fr/music/daft-punk-featurings-random-access-memories-morceau-par-morceau/

Very interesting link here with all the collabos, according to some source. Fucking psyched that Panda Bear is on it and very surprised about Julian Casablancas! I like him as a vocalist though.

Best of all: DJ Falcon!!!

alan nagsworth

Am I the only one instantly dispirited by huge whacks of collaborators? Who gives a flying fuck about Pharrell Williams these days? And a bunch of other plebs that ultimately detract from what is supposed to be a really exciting DAFT PUNK record? Dull as dishwater.

KLG-7C

Oh no, not collaboration electronica.

The Βoston Crab

Yeah but it's Daft Punk. It's not fucking Pantha du Prince. Did you notice the DJ Sneak influence on Digital Love? Was Face to Face ruined by Edd Todwards? Did Romanthony drop a deuce on One More Time? Do we all remember Benjamin Diamond skull fucking Stardust?

Who gives a fuck about Nile Rodgers? Who gives a fuck about Paul Williams or Chilly Gonzales? Daft Punk are beyond trends you fucking pair of parasitic cunts. Eff you both in your fucking assholes you fucking assholes. FUCK.

alan nagsworth

Pharrell Williams is a fag, all I'm sayin'.

The Βoston Crab

I agree but the first nerd album was bangin. Shit all since then but I trust their ears.

KLG-7C

Quote from: The Βoston Crab on April 05, 2013, 07:43:18 PM
Yeah but it's Daft Punk. It's not fucking Pantha du Prince. Did you notice the DJ Sneak influence on Digital Love? Was Face to Face ruined by Edd Todwards? Did Romanthony drop a deuce on One More Time? Do we all remember Benjamin Diamond skull fucking Stardust?
I don't actually know the history, but I thought those were things sampled by Daft Punk because they heard them and decided they would fit a track. Setting out to do a collab is doing that in reverse ("we need to make a track to fit this person") which appeals to me less.

Now, I'm not saying that it will definitely be rubbish, but collab electronica usually disappoints me. Occasionally it works!

Goldentony

That links all in fucking French I can't read that, someone translate it for me. What the fuck is LE NILE ROGERS or MONSEUR PANDA BEAR supposed to mean

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Goldentony on April 05, 2013, 07:58:50 PM
That links all in fucking French I can't read that, someone translate it for me.

It starts out "Good moaning from Dift Ponk" and rapidly descends into a parade of hideous double entendres.

vrailaine

I thought Pharrell produced Hell Hath No Fury?