Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:43:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daft Punk 2013

Started by The Βoston Crab, March 03, 2013, 06:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Βoston Crab

KLG BRO

They were all straight up collabos, not samples. They've done loads of brilliant shit with other people on side projects and 'solo' records too.

Tony, I laughed.

KLG-7C

Quote from: The Βoston Crab on April 05, 2013, 09:47:17 PM
They were all straight up collabos, not samples. They've done loads of brilliant shit with other people on side projects and 'solo' records too.
Well, that's positive and bodes well.

The Βoston Crab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf2bu0P_4Vo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Episode 2 - Todd Edwards.

For a start, I love Todd Edwards so much I was really looking forward to this but when you hear how excited he is and how much the experience has changed him, it almost brought a tear to my eye.

The Βoston Crab

momatt

Daft Punk produced the N.E.R.D. track, Hypnotize U.  All original, rather than just a rehash of an old track.
It was pretty damn good, like how you'd expect a collaboration between them would sound.
3 tracks with Pharell on the new LP is a bit much, but I'll have to wait and see (and hopefully be proved wrong).

The Βoston Crab

I heard about that track at the time but never bothered to check it out, wasn't in a DP mood for a good few years.

Anyway, for those who haven't seen, Episode 3 is out with Nile Rodgers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da_Yp9BOCaI

Around 10:00, he plays a riff which sounds like it may well be from Get Lucky, really shows off his unusual voicing.

I'd quite like to hear a clip of another song though!

Pharell is supposed to be the vocalist on the clip we've heard, mind you, so his input may not be quite as expected.

chocky909

Get Lucky 80 second promo vid bootleg filmed at Coachella. We're up all night to get lucky...

http://betherave.com/daft-punk-new-music-2013-coachella/

Pharrell singing on it. It's sounds pretty good. It's a proper song sort of although it sounds abridged in it's current state.

The Βoston Crab

Quote from: chocky909 on April 13, 2013, 06:54:58 AM
Get Lucky 80 second promo vid bootleg filmed at Coachella. We're up all night to get lucky...

http://betherave.com/daft-punk-new-music-2013-coachella/

Pharrell singing on it. It's sounds pretty good. It's a proper song sort of although it sounds abridged in it's current state.

Slightly better quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGP2rkuEDl4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The vocals are definitely more dry than I'd imagined but I love it, especially the harmonies on the bridge. Listened quite a few times now. Definitely a few edits in there, as you say, so I'm looking forward to hearing how the whole thing is put together.

Also surprised/pleased that it's confirmed that Panda Bear and Julian Casablancas are on it. Most exciting is DJ Falcon though! I had suspected all that was just rumour. I imagine that tracklist I saw was accurate then. Let me find it.

01 - Give Life Back To Music featuring Nile Rodgers
02 - The Game Of Love
03 - Giorgio by Moroder featuring Giorgio Moroder
04 - Within featuring Gonzales
05 - Instant Crush featuring Julian Casablancas
06 - Lose Yourself To Dance featuring Pharrell Williams on vocals and Nile Rodgers on guitar
07 - Touch featuring Paul Williams
08 - Get Lucky featuring Pharrell Williams on vocals and Nile Rodgers on guitar
09 - Beyond
10 - Motherhood
11 - Fragments of Time featuring Todd Edwards
12 - Doin' it right featuring Noah Lennox (Panda Bear)
13 - Contact with DJ Falcon

Only two Pharrell but nevertheless a very vocal driven record. Pumped.

CaledonianGonzo

I'm far from the world's biggest Daft Punk fan, but that sounds like an absolute fucking belter.  That tune is going to dominate the summer. 

imitationleather

Cor the track is not like how I'd imagined from the teaser and all the fan-done remixes but that's a good thing really. I didn't want another album of the same loop repeated ad infinitum!

When I saw the lyrics written down before I'd heard it I was like "Oh gawd no" because they're exactly the sort of obnoxious have-fun-now-or-you're-a-fucking-loser crap I associate with pop music of this decade. It works a lot better in the tune though.

CERTIFIED BANGER
CERTIFIED BANGALTER

The Βoston Crab

A couple of observations:

- The promo for this album has been absolutely brilliant, it's built momentum perfectly, the collab vids have been great, just enough tease and reveal and it's been hyped by proxy, as it were, without self-aggrandisement or grand statements. The tone of the Creators Project vids is quite reverent, I think partly due to the editing, lots of pauses, but I haven't thought 'who are these twats?', it's just made me excited to see these guys so passionate about the work they've contributed. You get the sense that it's been something pretty special.

- I think 'Get Lucky' has got MJ all over it and they'd have had him on vocals if they could. Pharrell does a great job at channeling that spirit, though, and it's good to see his dorky dancing, they've put him outside his comfort zone just enough for him to be a little vulnerable and excited about what he's doing. Makes me smile. To come over all heat magazine for a moment, I can't believe he's 40! He looks half that.

- The harmonised guitar/vocoder fill during the 'looped' bit (1:19) has made me feel like a kid all day. Glorious.

- I think it's cute that Panda Bear comes first in the alphabetised list of collaborators because B for Bear :')

- Quite a few people saying that the single is coming on Monday, I'm really not sure about that, I think they've misread stuff. It's getting debuted on Fun Radio on Monday but unless they release the download Monday evening then I don't know. Wouldn't actually be a bad idea from a marketing POV because I think a lot of people will be waiting impatiently for the Fun Radio broadcast and would like nothing more than immediate access via iTunes or whatever.

- I wonder whether this clip will be played during SNL this evening, like the previous two.

- I have an interview on Tuesday so I kind of hope it won't be out til after that.

The Βoston Crab

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-daft-punk-reveal-secrets-of-new-album-20130413

Nothing too exciting but an actual first interview with DP about the album, in any case.

vrailaine

I've ridiculous expectations for this thing at this stage

kitsofan34

Could someone please explain to a novice like me why Daft Punk are held in such reverence? I've enjoyed their first two albums but the general consensus seems to be that their next two efforts were rather poor.

The Βoston Crab

Because of Alive 2007, for the general populace.

Because of the first two albums which still influence pop music production.

Because they straddle(d) the underground and the charts like virtually no other act have done.

Because their music seems unbelievably warm and full of life and joy, even when it's just a drum machine and a loop.

Because their side project stuff is as good as/better than their Daft Punk output.

Because their aesthetic, concepts & promo excite some people almost as much as the music.

-

HAA is pretty weak on its own but incorporated into Alive 2007, those tunes sound unbelievable. The title track mixed with Superheroes and Rock n Roll is an absolutely staggering finale, it doesn't get much more ecstatic. The Tron Legacy OST, as I said up thread, is actually their biggest selling release around the world [nb]lol?[/nb] and got good reviews, certainly much better than the film itself, according to metacritic.

Quote from: The Βoston Crab on April 13, 2013, 08:53:38 PM
Because their side project stuff is as good as/better than their Daft Punk output.

Guy Hominem certainly arsed up Sebastien Tellier's Sexuality though, and for that I will never forgive him.

The Βoston Crab

You reckon? I loved Sexual Sportswear and a couple of others but I'm not otherwise a Seb Tellier fan.

It's a boring record with one or two standout tracks poking through. The majority of the songs sound like loops made for the loading screens of GTA: Vice City extended to 4 or 5 minutes. Tellier is Tellier as ever, lounge singer gone grandeur, but the production he is met with is limp and decidedly unsexual! IMHO obviously.

Actually ol' Sebs could have slid quite nicely into the new album's lineup.

Johnny Textface

They're only done the three haven't they? Can you really include the TRON OST?

Human After All was patchy to say the least. But I it think was a bit of an experiment and an opposite way of working to their previous album that took them ages.. ".. it was produced in two weeks and mixed in four". There are a couple of crackers on there though, especially the title track.

I read somewhere that they're arguably the most influential band of the last 20 years, and if you consider the way they brought back disco and their use of filters and vocoders - it's probably a strong argument - in dance music terms anyway.

And what TBC said.

The Βoston Crab

As predicted, this was played during SNL last night, better quality but slightly abridged version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pefow5Kp_W4

Nuthin doin but waitin for the broadcast tomorrow.

chocky909

Where is it confirmed that Get Lucky is being broadcast in full tomorrow?

The Βoston Crab

Sorry, thought I'd already posted that, but seems not.

Fun Radio (big French commercial radio station for dance/R&B, like Kiss FM or something, if that's still going) posted this on twitter:

Quote"Lundi le grand retour des Daft Punk... Quelques secondes du single à venir pour tenir ))) http://fb.me/1G2Wj3wnW"
[nb]https://twitter.com/funradio_fr/status/322766944971390978[/nb]

'Monday is the big Daft Punk comeback, here's a few seconds of the single to hold you over (2nd SNL clip linked).'

They also posted this last Monday:
"J-7 avant le grand retour des Daft Punk... Quelques secondes du single à venir pour tenir jusqu'à lundi ))) http://fb.me/Im2wyBDn"

'7 days before the big comeback, etc.', same message, essentially.

This was also confirmed/supported by Lifelike, a French house producer who's released stuff on Alan Braxe's label.

QuoteLIFELIKE ‏@LIFELIKE__ 11 Apr
Good news, our french robots DaftPunk will premiere their new single next week on the french radio 'Fun Radio', i didnt say anything :)

I just hope they release it on iTunes or whatever shortly after so we're not listening to a stream rip for the next couple of weeks.

chocky909

Cheers Boss Cat. I actually quite like the idea of listening to a slightly incomplete rip with French DJs jabbering over the ends of it. I also wonder if there'll be a full promo video for the song and whether it'll be the same as the recent promo spot.

The Βoston Crab

Pretty sure there will be an imminent vid, I saw some photo the director had put on instagram or some shit but it was just of some lighting equipment, 'artistically' shot, looked like it was in the desert or something.

kitsofan34

The odds on Daft Punk closing out this series of Saturday Night Live must be pretty short, right? It ends right around the release date of Random Access Memories.

Urinal Cake

I knew Nile Rodgers was on board which was awesome but stupid fucking Pharrell fucking peanut head can't sing.

The Βoston Crab

So Fun Radio have just played a really bad fake purporting to be the single. Zero integrity, pretty surprised to be honest. THAT'S really bad PR.

chocky909

So that means they were lying about having the new single? Why didn't the band call them out on their announcement?