Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:08:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Justice League film

Started by The Roofdog, March 05, 2013, 11:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Roofdog

Thought this deserved its own thread for rumours, idle speculation and cries of "this'll never get made and if it does it'll be shit anyway".

So after the project looked all but canned about a week ago after Will Beall's script was declared a pile of toss, there are now rumours that Nolan will possibly be involved, which will maybe entice Christian Bale back as Batman, which weather permitting might get David Goyer back for script duties. Personally I'd like to see Goyer's "dark" Flash script dusted off.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/justice-league/24681/big-justice-league-rumours-nolan-bale-and-snyder

Gulftastic

They should not bother and just start making the Justice League animated show again. That was fantastic.

lazarou

Agreed, the animated series was wonderful. It might be my favourite superhero adaptation in any medium.

I'm really struggling to see Nolan's more grounded Batman working alongside properly fantastical characters. It just seems like it would be a jarring mish-mash of styles unless they grounded everyone else too, in which case they can fuck right off.

Glebe

I thing this is a big mistake... I would be a bit surprised if Bale comes back, Nolan as director = NOT going to happen in a zillion years.

Replies From View

So what serious threats can the Justice League face, then?  Seems like Superman is already quite good on his own, and if you have Batman there to take the necklace of Kryptonite off him that's pretty much everything.  I suppose it would be a grind for Superman to always carry Batman under his arm whilst flying - maybe that's what the plot would mostly explore.

madhair60

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 05, 2013, 11:13:27 AM
They should not bother and just start making the Justice League animated show again. That was fantastic.

Should I watch this?  It seems like a lot of effort.  I did like Batman TAS a lot, but I don't really have any love for the DC lot.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  That was good.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Replies From View on March 06, 2013, 08:32:22 AM
So what serious threats can the Justice League face, then?  Seems like Superman is already quite good on his own, and if you have Batman there to take the necklace of Kryptonite off him that's pretty much everything.  I suppose it would be a grind for Superman to always carry Batman under his arm whilst flying - maybe that's what the plot would mostly explore.

Well, the Avengers have basically the same problem with Thor on the team. The Big Bads tend to be pan-dimensional supergods like Darkseid (which, I concede, can be pretty much the same kind of villain you sometimes see Superman defeat on his own), or teams of supervillains that mirror the JL. Then there's the whole class of JL story about intrigue/deception within the team, which I guess wouldn't work for an origin story (Tower of Babel would make a really good JL movie somewhere down the line).

Replies From View

Quote from: The Roofdog on March 06, 2013, 11:29:27 AM
Well, the Avengers have basically the same problem with Thor on the team. The Big Bads tend to be pan-dimensional supergods like Darkseid (which, I concede, can be pretty much the same kind of villain you sometimes see Superman defeat on his own), or teams of supervillains that mirror the JL. Then there's the whole class of JL story about intrigue/deception within the team, which I guess wouldn't work for an origin story (Tower of Babel would make a really good JL movie somewhere down the line).

Sounds bloody awful.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Replies From View on March 06, 2013, 08:32:22 AM
So what serious threats can the Justice League face, then?

Same kind of threats as they face in the comics?

Replies From View

Quote from: Johnny Textface on March 06, 2013, 01:50:02 PM
Same kind of threats as they face in the comics?

It's almost as if I was asking the question precisely because I haven't read those comics.

SteveDave

They should remake the Watchmen using the DC characters they're seemingly based on. Keep Rorshach (sp?) though.

Gulftastic

Quote from: SteveDave on March 06, 2013, 04:44:17 PM
They should remake the Watchmen using the DC characters they're seemingly based on. Keep Rorshach (sp?) though.

They were based on Charlton comic characters (although DC had purchased the rights to them). When they saw what Moore was planning they stopped him using them and so he created his own versions.

By my reckoning:

Dr Manhattan = Capt Atom
Nite Owl = Blue Beetle
Nightshade = Silk Spectre
Rorshach = The Question
Comedian = The Peacemaker

Johnny Textface

Replies From View

Quote from: Johnny Textface on March 06, 2013, 04:58:08 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=justice+league+foes

Ah yes; well done.  Don't worry - if ever I'm on the internet and feel like a funny or interesting response to my questions, I'll turn to CaB in general and to a random google search before I bother you personally.  You'll notice that The Roofdog was able to reply quite reasonably, so you didn't need to feel pressurised into responding at all.

It happens in real life, too.  It's not only on the internet that people say "try google" when you think you might value their opinion of something.  I generally dismiss it as another form of uninspired cuntiness that some people need to conform to.

Gulftastic

Superman is a problem though. You wither have to power up the villains so much that the rest of the league are an irrelevance, or write Superman out of the picture, sort of like how in modern day horror films they always have to find some reason for cell phones not working.

Johnny Textface

Glad to be of service.  Yeah er Lex Luther and The Joker both spring to mind to start with. There is proof that the writers through the years have managed to come up with appropriate villains. 

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 06, 2013, 05:28:18 PM
Superman is a problem though. You wither have to power up the villains so much that the rest of the league are an irrelevance, or write Superman out of the picture, sort of like how in modern day horror films they always have to find some reason for cell phones not working.

They managed it with Avengers Assemble pretty well though.  Thor and Captain America being on the same team.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Johnny Textface on March 06, 2013, 05:40:57 PM

They managed it with Avengers Assemble pretty well though.  Thor and Captain America being on the same team.

True. I suppose they can just ignore the daftness of a god fighting along side a bloke with a bow and arrow or a lass in a leather catsuit.

Tiny Poster

Yeah, it works despite the inherent daftness.

Spiteface

Quote from: madhair60 on March 06, 2013, 08:37:13 AM
Should I watch this?  It seems like a lot of effort.  I did like Batman TAS a lot, but I don't really have any love for the DC lot.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  That was good.

Most things DCAU tend to be good. I love how "Batman Beyond" (AKA "Batman of the Future" in some parts) was born out of someone at WB wanting a young Batman, so rather than put Bruce Wayne in high school or something, they did this weird darker in parts series where Bruce Wayne is an old man mentoring a new kid in the costume.

I do think that more cartoons would be a better direction for them to take with this though. At this point, a live-action Justice League looks like they're chasing Avengers.  Why be second best at that, when you could get together a good voice cast (maybe bring back the classic JL animated voices, seeing as some internet fanboys can't stand it when someone other than Kevin Conroy is the voice of Batman), with some quality animation (maybe even all-CGI, but a more old-school animation style would help keep it more comic-like), and the right story and do something good in it's own right.

I'll propose this: Throw a ton of money at Bruce Timm and his crew and let him do those superb straight-to-DVD/On Demand features on a bigger scale, even put them out in cinemas and everything.  The Adaptation of "The Dark Knight Returns" that came out recently was superb, possibly more enjoyable than the last Nolan flick (which I also really enjoyed, mind you).

If they still do a live-action film, and a "new" Batman, would it be too much to ask to have a more "classic" Back/grey batsuit? I'm bored with film Batman always being all-black.

Replies From View

Johnny Textface

Replies From View

Good.  Now say sorry and promise never to be so crap ever again.

The Roofdog

Johnny Textface

MojoJojo

Quote from: Johnny Textface on March 06, 2013, 05:40:57 PM

Hang-on, how on earth did Captain America survive getting hit by Thor's hammer? Year I know his shield is Mithril or something, but shouldn't he have been tuned into a pancake?

CURSE YOU JOSS WHEDON

SteveDave

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 06, 2013, 04:55:19 PM
They were based on Charlton comic characters (although DC had purchased the rights to them). When they saw what Moore was planning they stopped him using them and so he created his own versions.

By my reckoning:

Dr Manhattan = Capt Atom
Nite Owl = Blue Beetle
Nightshade = Silk Spectre
Rorshach = The Question
Comedian = The Peacemaker

Or they could go

Dr Manhattan- Superman
Nite Owl- Batman
Silk Spectre- Wonder Woman

Ozymandias- Iron Man
Comedian- Cpt America
Rorshach- Batman 2

I know, I know. I'm ill & don't know many DC characters...

Gulftastic

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 07, 2013, 10:49:36 AM
Hang-on, how on earth did Captain America survive getting hit by Thor's hammer? Year I know his shield is Mithril or something, but shouldn't he have been tuned into a pancake?

CURSE YOU JOSS WHEDON

His shield, despite what is said in 'Captain America : the First Avenger' is a unique alloy of Adamantium (Marvel's unbreakable metal, which Wolverine's skeleton is made of) and Vibranium, and metal that absorbs any vibration and kinetic energy. This combination means Cap can survive a hammer blow from Thor.

MojoJojo

If it absorbs kinetic energy, how does he move it?

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on March 06, 2013, 08:37:13 AM

I tried to watch JLA for the first time last year and thought it was largely pretty terrible, at least for the first four or so (two-part) stories.[nb]There's a really fucked up one where a bunch of slave robots gain sentience and try to overthrow their masters, and the Justice League wade in and not only quash the uprising, but do so by killing hundreds of sentient, intelligent (and thus arguably living) machines. Double-You-Tee-Fuck?[/nb] However, the follow-up series JLU (Justice League Unlimited) is properly excellent - very funny, with an expansive cast and some really great arc plotting. My favourite is still the original run of Batman; The Animated Series, though that has some wobbly eps at the start as well.