Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:45:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Justice League film

Started by The Roofdog, March 05, 2013, 11:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Poster

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 07, 2013, 04:09:16 PM
If it absorbs kinetic energy, how does he move it?

It absorbs "kinetic energy directed at it", or so it says here.

Also exposure to gamma radiation doesn't turn you into a huge green id beast when you get a bit uncomfortable.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Replies From View on March 06, 2013, 08:32:22 AM
So what serious threats can the Justice League face, then? 
Your mileage may vary and all that, but they have faced plenty of interesting villains. Brainiac is good value, Doomsday also, stuff like that.

I mean, they could take on nearly anyone, and as long as the writing's good it wouldn't matter if they weren't super-super-powered like the JLA.

eluc55

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 07, 2013, 04:22:31 PM
Your mileage may vary and all that, but they have faced plenty of interesting villains. Brainiac is good value, Doomsday also, stuff like that.

Brainiac's the obvious one, and it could easily be seeded in the superman films, seeing as Brainiac usually works in the background until the last minute. I'd have thought they'd want to make good use of him in the later superman films, though.

Stick Luthor in there, too, so they someone a bit more chatty to banter with.

Mister Six

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 06, 2013, 05:28:18 PM
Superman is a problem though. You wither have to power up the villains so much that the rest of the league are an irrelevance, or write Superman out of the picture, sort of like how in modern day horror films they always have to find some reason for cell phones not working.

Check out Grant Morrison's JLA books, which do a good job of this (though they're weighed down by a tonne of shit crossover baggage, like Superman getting some random electricity powers[nb]Yes, I know why that happened, but it's not explained in the comics. Shut up.[/nb] without explanation, and Wonder Woman both dying and coming back to life in-between issues. In fact he did it especially well, because his JLA featured not just Superman, but also Martian Manhunter (who has all of Superman's powers AND can read minds) and Green Lantern (who can make anything he can imagine).

Er, anyway. You create a multi-tiered threat, so that Superman is tackling a god face-to-face while the lower-level dudes like Batman tackle smaller (but no less vital) threats. Also, with the exception of Batman pretty much all of the 'classic' team are properly powerful: Superman, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, The Flash and Green Lantern. And as Batman's superpower is being hyper-prepared for all situations to the point where he can out-think Darkseid, the avatar of all evil, it's not hard to scale him up to handle similarly huge threats.[nb]There's an awesome bit in Morrison's JLA where the villains have succeeded in capturing Superman, Flash et al, and only Batman is still on the loose. The head baddie does the whole 'you are doomed' schtick to a manacled and helpless Superman, his speech concluding with something like: 'And the only member of your team left is a single pathetic human... wait, why are you smiling?'

I'd say a bigger problem is that DC's movie lot sound about as clueless as the chumps running their comics at the minute, and everything I've read about the JLA movie (though admittedly I've not read much for the past six months or so) has suggested they want to make it 'dark' like the Nolan Batman movies, even though campy fun is obviously a better route for such an ostentatiously OTT concept.

The Roofdog

I've just been reminded that they had Joss Whedon on board to direct a Wonder Woman film a few years ago. The chumps must be kicking themselves now.

Gulftastic

Quote from: The Roofdog on March 14, 2013, 06:27:41 PM
I've just been reminded that they had Joss Whedon on board to direct a Wonder Woman film a few years ago. The chumps must be kicking themselves now.

I wish they'd do a proper TV show and base it on George Perez's run on Wonder Woman.

SteveDave

This was mentioned on Hollywood Babble-On this week.

http://vimeo.com/60594348

It's let down a bit by the shit boots (& the fact it's not Cristina thingy from Mad Men as WW) but I quite liked it.

Revelator

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 05, 2013, 11:13:27 AM
They should not bother and just start making the Justice League animated show again. That was fantastic.

AMEN!

Quote from: Mister Six on March 07, 2013, 04:15:22 PMI tried to watch JLA for the first time last year and thought it was largely pretty terrible, at least for the first four or so (two-part) stories...However, the follow-up series JLU (Justice League Unlimited) is properly excellent - very funny, with an expansive cast and some really great arc plotting.

The majority of the first season of Justice League is universally acknowledged as bland and substandard, mostly because the BTAS crew were figuring out how to properly put together the show. But the second season is excellent, and ends with "Starcrossed"--a multi-episode finale that is a better movie than anything Hollywood will throw together. JLU is indeed excellent--the first two seasons are of interest for the Cadmus storyarc and four part finale, while the final season is a Silver-Age romp. There are have also been several later direct-to-DVD Justice League animated movies, featuring different art styles and continuities--particularly recommended are Crisis on Two Earths, Doom, and The New Frontier.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 07, 2013, 04:22:31 PMYour mileage may vary and all that, but they have faced plenty of interesting villains. Brainiac is good value, Doomsday also, stuff like that.

And Darkseid! He proved particularly adept at getting Superman's goat in the Superman: The Animated Series episodes "Apokalips...Now!" and "Legacy" and Justice League's "Twilight" and "Destroyer." Being the overlord of an entire  planet and a member of the New Gods makes him a worthy foe.

Quote from: madhair60 on March 06, 2013, 08:37:13 AMAvengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.  That was good.

Justice League is better. Marvel has had more success with live action, but DC still owns animation.

Small Man Big Horse

I've just watched the new Justice League Dark animated film and it's actually not too bad. They've got the characterisation of John Constantine down to a tee (and it's voiced by Matt Ryan who starred as John in the recent tv series) and Batman, Zatana, Etrigan and Deadman provide able support. Sure, it's nothing amazing, especially if you compare it to recent Pixar and Disney fare, but if you're a fan of the characters it's surprisingly watchable and has a nice sense of humour about itself. Plus one of the monsters is a poo monster, which I didn't expect from this sort of thing.

Edit: The more I think about it the more impressed I am with this, especially given that it could have turned out to be a disaster. I noticed the story was co-written by longterm comics writer J.M DeMatteis, so maybe that's why it's better than a lot of the DC movies, and I'd be really surprised if the actual Justice League movie turns out to be better.

Kelvin

I gave up on the DC animated films a while back, after thinking the "new 52" films were consistently dreadful. I've heard a couple of the more recent ones are actually pretty good, so maybe I'll give this one a try, SMBH.

SteveDave

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 17, 2017, 01:38:08 PM
I've just watched the new Justice League Dark animated film and it's actually not too bad. They've got the characterisation of John Constantine down to a tee (and it's voiced by Matt Ryan who starred as John in the recent tv series) and Batman, Zatana, Etrigan and Deadman provide able support. Sure, it's nothing amazing, especially if you compare it to recent Pixar and Disney fare, but if you're a fan of the characters it's surprisingly watchable and has a nice sense of humour about itself. Plus one of the monsters is a poo monster, which I didn't expect from this sort of thing.

Edit: The more I think about it the more impressed I am with this, especially given that it could have turned out to be a disaster. I noticed the story was co-written by longterm comics writer J.M DeMatteis, so maybe that's why it's better than a lot of the DC movies, and I'd be really surprised if the actual Justice League movie turns out to be better.

I liked this too. Batman was the comic relief! Isn't there a Justice League Dark movie planned? They should just remake this with live people and change the main villain from Skeletor into someone threatening.

Revelator

Quote from: Kelvin on February 17, 2017, 04:23:40 PM
I gave up on the DC animated films a while back, after thinking the "new 52" films were consistently dreadful.

Yeah, I nearly jumped ship after the putrid Justice League: War--the only films I've watched afterward were Son of Batman (mediocre) and Justice League: Gods and Monsters, an intriguing alternate universe tale with a disappointing third act, though it was great seeing Bruce Timm's designs again (I'm tired of Phil Bourassa's). I was put off seeing The Killing Joke by what I read about the prologue.

The greatness of DC's animated series was that they weren't tied to the continuity of the comics (which were mostly dreadful) and could cherry-pick the best elements from decades of past stories. Bruce Timm's departure from the Executive Producer role might also explain the downturn in quality. Before then, DC had a good run of DTVs: Justice League: The New Frontier, Wonder Woman, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, Under the Red Hood, All-Star Superman, Emerald Knights, Batman:Year One, Justice League: Doom, and Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, which was much better than I expected. It managed to combine scarily apocalyptic action with the sort of deeply-felt emotion that has often been missing from DC's recent films, which seem to be emulating the soullessness of their live action counterparts.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Kelvin on February 17, 2017, 04:23:40 PM
I gave up on the DC animated films a while back, after thinking the "new 52" films were consistently dreadful. I've heard a couple of the more recent ones are actually pretty good, so maybe I'll give this one a try, SMBH.

I've only seen The Killing Joke which I didn't get on with, partially due to the animation style but also bits of the plot just felt too nasty to me[nb]A problem with the source material, admittedly, but for some reason it felt much worse in animated form[/nb], but this I liked a lot. I wasn't even sure I was going to watch it all initially, I just wanted to see how they'd handle the characters, and was surprised at how much fun I found it.

Quote from: SteveDave on February 17, 2017, 04:37:40 PM
I liked this too. Batman was the comic relief! Isn't there a Justice League Dark movie planned? They should just remake this with live people and change the main villain from Skeletor into someone threatening.

I wasn't too pleased by Batman's initial appearance as he's not part of the comic (or at least the first few issues I read) but yeah, he's actually one of the best things about it and has some great lines and funny moments. I wish they'd found space for Shade The Changing Man as well as he's been a favourite character of mine for a long old time, but if this is successful hopefully they'll make a sequel. Can't see him popping up in a live action version though, I think DC would find that to be a bit too weird.

phantom_power

More of Snyder's Emo Michael Bay bollocks. Impossible to tell what is going on half the time

Small Man Big Horse

Looks rubbish to me as well, and I didn't know Superman wasn't in it until now. I'll watch it when it's released online but can't be arsed with seeing DC fare on the big screen any more, I've been burnt too many times. I mean if the reviews were ecstatic then I might change my mind but I'd be amazed if that turns out to be the case.

Custard

I guess they'll be bringing Supes back to life at some point in the 497 minute runtime (theatrical cut). And he'll be very happy and grateful about it, and Henry Cavill will show this through the two faces he does

Was funny seeing Kevin Smith fawn over the new poster for this on Instagram, and immediately be hit by a sea of "this will be shit" replies. He's so clearly in DC's pocket, it's embarrasing

spock rogers

Looks like a made-for-TV movie that you'd see on the SyFy[nb]What a fucking shit name.[/nb] channel.

Get in grave, Snyder.

Kelvin

Can't believe they thought the CGI was acceptable for a trailer. Surely those Cyborg effects cant be close to finished?

Bhazor

Isn't that "Money is my super power" joke taken straight from an Ironman film?

Phil_A

Jesus, the colour grading on that. All potential joy crushed under layers of blue-grey misery.

I think everyone has made the "his special power is being a millionaire" joke about Batman at some point in the past.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's as if Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad had a baby, realized how ugly the kid was, tried to abandon it in a backstreet, but the baby managed to survive and came back to embarrass his parents.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Zach Snyder's music choices in films are always very obvious ones aren't they? When there's an emotional scene it's like he's looked up a playlist of sad songs on Spotify and picked the one that's been streamed the most.  And because he picks out a well known song it comes across as quite jarring and out of place from the film.

phantom_power

And that slow, doomy Beatles cover thing was done far better in the Valarian trailer as well, although I suppose this one is thematically on point

Kelvin

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on March 26, 2017, 07:59:33 PM
Zach Snyder's music choices in films are always very obvious ones aren't they? When there's an emotional scene it's like he's looked up a playlist of sad songs on Spotify and picked the one that's been streamed the most.  And because he picks out a well known song it comes across as quite jarring and out of place from the film.

In fairness, I very much doubt he picked the music for this trailer. Directors rarely have anything to do with that side of a film in Hollywood. 

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: Kelvin on March 26, 2017, 08:36:08 PM
In fairness, I very much doubt he picked the music for this trailer. Directors rarely have anything to do with that side of a film in Hollywood.

I was also thinking of his use Hallelujah in The Watchmen or The Man Comes Around in Dawn of the Dead.  I'd be a bit surprised if he hadn't chosen the music for the trailers though (this one and the last one) because they really feel like something he's picked.

kidsick5000

Quote from: phantom_power on March 26, 2017, 08:20:01 PM
And that slow, doomy Beatles cover thing was done far better in the Valarian trailer as well, although I suppose this one is thematically on point

He'sw got a track record for this having lumped a cover of Tomorrow Never Knows into Sucker Punch...

The Roofdog

Rumour is that this is going to be 2 hours 50 minutes long. Dear God.

Custard

Well, they need 45 mins to look sadly at Supes' grave