Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:09:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Justice League film

Started by The Roofdog, March 05, 2013, 11:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuteBanana

Best thing about that trailer is Wonder Woman makes Aquaman jump.

Bad Ambassador

Well, this is unexpected.

Snyder is handing off work on Justice League to Joss Whedon and putting all other projects on hold. Why? Because his 20-year-old daughter killed herself in March and they've only just been able to mention it publicly.

I'm no fan of Snyder the filmmaker or the man, but that's fucking horrible.

Small Man Big Horse

Jesus that's horribly fucked up.

Glebe

Phil_A

I wonder if Whedon's involvement will have any impact on the film at this point? I'm guessing it the shooting will be mostly done by now so it'll all be post-production.

What a sad set of circumstances, though. Dreadful.

Kelvin

Quote from: Phil_A on May 23, 2017, 10:22:13 PM
I wonder if Whedon's involvement will have any impact on the film at this point? I'm guessing it the shooting will be mostly done by now so it'll all be post-production.

He's shooting a small number of additional scenes that were already planned before this happened, and which he (Whedon) had already written for the film, apparently. Then all the ongoing post production stuff.

Head Gardener

meanwhile, Superman waits...

It'll be a fucking awful film, as usual. But everyone will go and see it anyway, because of widespread masochistic subservience to whatever flavourless entertainment corporations serve up. Expect box office records to be broken, then the usual 3 hour podcasts about how much people hate it while also begging for a sequel, and better films to be rejected and completely ignored. People get what they ask for.

The Roofdog

To be fair a lot of people will go and see it because Wonder Woman was fucking ace

Fair enough, but Wonder Woman wasn't ace at all. It was the same old sterile stuff done more competently than usual. The raves it has been getting just show how low the bar is for this sort of film.

Anyway, I'll shut up because I don't want to just be that guy who pisses on stuff people genuinely enjoy.

Mr_Simnock

QuoteAnyway, I'll shut up because I don't want to just be that guy who pisses on stuff people genuinely enjoy.   

no one say anything......

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on June 07, 2017, 11:36:20 PM
no one say anything......

Go on. I'm intrigued...

I wasn't being disingenuous when I said that, just to be clear.

Well, you are kind of glorifying yourself by claiming to be 'that guy' who has to bite his tongue, lest he burn down everyone's childish delusions and turn their world upside-down by daring to speak his contentious opinions. Oh no, please not THAT GUY, I can't handle his daring truths.

I mean, it's not as if people have been uncritical of these films.

Well I didn't mean it like that, even if that's how it came across. I knew I'd inadvertently strayed into that territory just after I'd made that first post, which is why I tried to add a disclaimer to the second. I wouldn't claim that any opinion of mine is true. When I said 'that guy' I meant the guy that barges into threads about stuff he's not interested in or enthusiastic about and clogs it up with his tedious negativity, not 'that guy' who presumes to speak from on high and attempts to impress with delusional iconoclasm. I think your interpretation is rather ungenerous, and assumes the basest kind of egotistical motivations on my part.

Glebe

Ben Affleck's Batman Future in Doubt as Warner Bros. Plots Franchise.

He appears to have been vacillating ever since BvS's critical mauling and (initially) wobbly box office. Was was initially set to direct too, then Matt Reeves stepped in, and has now junked his script.

Spiteface

Justice League trailer from Commie-Con

Also, because the entire DCEU is a clusterfuck, the Flash movie will be FLASHPOINT. I guess that's how they recast Batman - do a New 52 on their movies.

Mango Chimes

That looks like a mess. It's a third terrible Snyder Superman film, set in permanent steel night where buildings explode frequently, but with some incongruous humour.  And all this "Superman was a beacon" stuff stands out as bizarre, because he really wasn't portrayed as that in the last two films.  I guess he returns at the end, and it'll be interesting if the DCEU takes the opportunity to turn him into Proper Superman, where those things do apply.

If there's one hackneyed joke I cannot stand anymore, it's the montage of superheroic feats followed by someone asking their alter ego what they've been up to.
"Oh... NOTHING EXCITING."
Hahaha it's hilarious because what they got up to was actually very exciting indeed.

Mister Six

Quote from: Spiteface on July 22, 2017, 08:59:21 PM
Justice League trailer from Commie-Con

Note them going heavy on Wonder Woman at the start there. Tells you something about BvS that she's now the big lynchpin superhero for these trailers.

Anyway, that looks shit. A smudgy, monochromatic, gloomy dirge. Fuck 'em. Until Wonder Woman 2.

QuoteAlso, because the entire DCEU is a clusterfuck, the Flash movie will be FLASHPOINT. I guess that's how they recast Batman - do a New 52 on their movies.

Are you fucking kidding?! I mean, it'd be kind of cute how the two movie companies represent their comic book parents (Marvel = pumping out endless drawn-out crossovers until no one gives a shit any more; DC = piling terrible creative decision on top of terrible creative decision until they have to reset everything five years down the line) but that would seriously be a disaster. There's no way the general public would be on board with that.

If they wanted to reboot the tone then JLA would be the best opportunity. Rip off Grant Morrison's Final Crisis, say Darkseid has been secretly been corrupting the DCEU, palm off all Snyder's terrible fucking decisions on the New Gods, effectively absolve Superman and Batman and start again with a sunnier tone but the same universe and actors.

Custard

A persistent rumour online is that killing Supes was their stupid and clunky way of bringing him back as the proper Supes. You know, heroic and not breaking people's necks

Only 5 years late!

phantom_power

I think that trailer has within it the problem with the DC films. Batman and Co. SHOULD have had a few films where they fought exploding wind-up penguins, or at least some fun low-key adventures to establish the characters, rather than straight into the doom and gloom, battle for everything that they have done with such a short lead-in

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 23, 2017, 07:04:53 AM
A persistent rumour online is that killing Supes was their stupid and clunky way of bringing him back as the proper Supes.

It gives them the opportunity, which they should totally seize, but there's no way the Snyder masterplan was "right, we'll do three or four morose night-time violence messes, in the style of me, BUT ONLY as a lead in to becoming more hopeful!"

lipsink

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on July 22, 2017, 09:31:35 PM
If there's one hackneyed joke I cannot stand anymore, it's the montage of superheroic feats followed by someone asking their alter ego what they've been up to.
"Oh... NOTHING EXCITING."
Hahaha it's hilarious because what they got up to was actually very exciting indeed.

Another one I hate that seems to pop up in lots of action films is the hero saying: "Oops, my bad."

Seems to overtaken the other annoying recent trope of characters taking a wacky selfie at an inappropriate moment.

Custard

Joss Whedon getting co-director credit, then. Must have done a fair bit of work on it

http://screenrant.com/justice-league-movie-joss-whedon-director-credit/

Glebe

Quote from: Mango Chimes on July 22, 2017, 09:17:55 PMThat looks like a mess.

Quote from: phantom_power on July 23, 2017, 08:08:30 AMI think that trailer has within it the problem with the DC films. Batman and Co. SHOULD have had a few films where they fought exploding wind-up penguins, or at least some fun low-key adventures to establish the characters, rather than straight into the doom and gloom, battle for everything that they have done with such a short lead-in

I suppose you could excuse the raggedy nature of this trailer due to it being a Comic-Con 'sneak peak'... then again, the first Suicide Squad Comic Con teaser was tight and packed a punch (pity the film turned out to be bobbins, though). Yeah, they appear to be stuffing even more into a film that already has too many characters and a lot of backstory going on... liked the little Penguin nod, though. Green Lantern Corps also get a mention, of course.

Quote from: Mister Six on July 22, 2017, 09:54:39 PMNote them going heavy on Wonder Woman at the start there. Tells you something about BvS that she's now the big lynchpin superhero for these trailers.

Indeed. Sorry lads, you can't hang it all on Wonder Woman.

Quote from: Spiteface on July 22, 2017, 08:59:21 PMAlso, because the entire DCEU is a clusterfuck, the Flash movie will be FLASHPOINT. I guess that's how they recast Batman - do a New 52 on their movies.

And just to go over the rest of the announced schedule, there's also the Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman sequels, Aquaman (footage of which apparently screened at SDCC), Matt Reeves' Batman (of which Ben Affleck has restated he is still committed to) and Joss Whedon's Batgirl movies and the Justice League Dark, Shazam and Green Lantern Corps movies. No word on David Ayer's Gotham City Sirens thing, although he's definitely working on it.

(Oh yeah, and some wag did this.)

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 23, 2017, 06:01:59 PMJoss Whedon getting co-director credit, then. Must have done a fair bit of work on it

http://screenrant.com/justice-league-movie-joss-whedon-director-credit/

Hmmm... it is Joss Whedon, but yeah, perhaps he's done a bit more work on it than at first suggested. Besides all the DCU controversy and all that, it's obviously pretty horrible about Zack Snyder's daughter.

mjwilson

That can't be a real poster can it?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: mjwilson on July 23, 2017, 08:59:20 PMThat can't be a real poster can it?

Because it has several different colours?

Phil_A

It's very Alex Ross. I was surprised it wasn't one of his paintings to be honest.

Not a huge fan of that style in general(I find Ross's stuff a bit po-faced and overly serious given the subject matter), but I think it works quite well there.

AsparagusTrevor

Bob Ross would have been interesting.