Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:17:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Various items missing from the Internet.

Started by VegaLA, March 06, 2013, 11:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Masked Unit on March 07, 2013, 11:02:22 AMGenerally speaking they were worn tucked into your (diamond patterned) socks with the baggy bit hanging over, leaving your Air Max/Jordans on display...

Not Travel Fox or British Knights round your way? I spent about £70 on a pair of maroon Travel Fox with a quilted pattern upper. What a berk.

olliebean

Quote from: small_world on March 08, 2013, 12:48:46 AM
A half decent drainer for dishes, something that actually is of some use.

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I don't rate your chances of finding such a thing on or offline, frankly.

billtheburger

Quote from: Cerys on March 07, 2013, 06:37:36 PM

This kind of thing, you mean?
Thanks for trying, but that's not it.

It was completely silver (apart from painted on the controls), had inflatable tubes instead of poles, was like a taller, narrower, truncated, square bottomed pyramid in shape and was made completely out of the inflatable LiLo plastic that made all that early 80s child mop hair stand on end.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 08, 2013, 08:18:30 AM
There's at least two ten minute segments of it on Youtube. Unless you're on about something else?
Christ, you're right. And uploaded in 2008, too. Where was I looking?
On the other hand, that appears to only be the second two thirds of the NYE special, and there's nothing else.

Although some other user's uploaded all the songs that it seems Clary ended the programmes on. Which is odd - why not just the full episodes?

lazarou

The old Manga video UK dub of Battle Angel Alita. There's an american version that's available everywhere, but this was only released on VHS and doesn't seem to have surfaced online. Not that it was especially great, but that was one of the handful of tapes I'd watch all the bloody time, so it's embedded in my head as the 'proper' version.

I had a similar quest for the version of Cyber City Oedo 808 with the alternate Rory McFarlane soundtrack, but some kind soul did eventually upload that, so score one for the internet there.

dr_christian_troy

I can't think of a better place to post a link to this excellent site - http://networkawesome.com/archive/ - they curate various thematic audio-visual collections every day, and their ever-increasing archive is introducing me to all sorts of weird and wonderful sub-cultures and oddities I never knew existed.

Pseudopath

The only cultural landmark I'd like to revisit from my childhood would be the Walls Max The Lion TV commercial from around 1990. I remember it being a riotously colorful animated story of an anthropomorphic lion saving a couple of kids from mild peril at a fun fair (I think one of the antagonists looked a bit like Texas Pete from Superted). However, definitely the most memorable part of the advert was the following jingle which became part of my daily vocabulary for about six months (no doubt to everyone else's exasperation):

QuoteMax The Lion loves to taste that milk in every bite
Banana Choc and Caramel Choc, they're cool and fresh and bright
He's gonna save the day, 'cos he's as strong as iron
You've got a friend in Max The Lion[nb]Someone who remembered this commercial in the old Adverts thread has pointed out that the melody of this last line bears more than a passing resemblance to Wild Cherry's Play That Funky Music[/nb].

Voiceover: Max The Lion...the dairy milk ice you'll ROOOAAARRR for!

Sadly, this doesn't appear to have turned up on any of those early 90s advert compliations certain obsessive types upload to YouTube (and even-more obsessive types watch in their entirety) and I've even e-mailed a nice chap from Unilever who remembered the marketing campaign (particularly getting his colleague to dress up as a six-foot lion), but said that they hadn't got round to digitising their archive of commercials. I'd imagine they've got better things to do...like eating Magnums all day long and trying to find the bit of their building where they make the sausages.

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: VegaLA on March 06, 2013, 11:26:49 PM

• The title of the film about Witch sisters that were bumping off their Hubbys. The final scene had the last witch embracing her heroic husband before plunging a crap butter knife into his back. Also a fireplace was in the background. 70s fare which had that Romero look and feel to the film, but NOT Jacks Wife. VerbWhores past and present have tried to locate the film but again, no success.

DAUGHTERS OF SATAN (1972), starring Tom Selleck.

Phil_A

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 12, 2013, 10:07:39 AM
The only cultural landmark I'd like to revisit from my childhood would be the Walls Max The Lion TV commercial from around 1990. I remember it being a riotously colorful animated story of an anthropomorphic lion saving a couple of kids from mild peril at a fun fair (I think one of the antagonists looked a bit like Texas Pete from Superted). However, definitely the most memorable part of the advert was the following jingle which became part of my daily vocabulary for about six months (no doubt to everyone else's exasperation):

Sadly, this doesn't appear to have turned up on any of those early 90s advert compliations certain obsessive types upload to YouTube (and even-more obsessive types watch in their entirety) and I've even e-mailed a nice chap from Unilever who remembered the marketing campaign (particularly getting his colleague to dress up as a six-foot lion), but said that they hadn't got round to digitising their archive of commercials. I'd imagine they've got better things to do...like eating Magnums all day long and trying to find the bit of their building where they make the sausages.

Haha! I remember Max The Lion. They were really nice as well, if you could get past the embarrassing social stigma of having to go up and ask for one.

There's another advert I've never been able to track down from childhood, which was for a brand of meatballs featuring a character called Malcolm Meatballhead. The "plot" of the advert was that Malcolm has been invited to a schoolfriend's house for tea, but is horrified to discover the boy's mother has rather tactlessly served him a plate of delicious meatballs, causing him to panic and exit through a wall in true Loony Tunes fashion.

I only remember this because a lad I knew at school used to make me piss myself laughing by doing an impression of the bizarrely shrill-voiced mum. "I HOPE YOU LIKE THEM, MALCOLM MEATBALLHEAD! THEY'RE JOHN'S FAVOURITE! OOOOOH, MAYBE HE DIDN'T LIKE PEEEEEEEEEEEAS!"

Don_Preston

Seems I've managed to find the Hula Hoops adverts with Richard O'Brien. I misremembered it as having only a Richard O'Brien-a-like, so seeing him inside a giant ring (steady) has made my day.

sirhenry

For years I looked for a copy of a Screen Two episode called Dirtysomething with no luck at all. It starred Paul Reynolds (from Press Gang) and Rachel Weisz (her first tv/film role, I think) and was about a couple of 'New Age Travellers' settling down. Nowhere to be found, not even thebox. I even found some screengrabs from it of a topless Ms Weisz, but that wasn't why I wanted to watch it again (honest).

I mentioned it to a friend a couple of years ago and she mysteriously said she might be able to help me out... Within the week a VHS of it arrived in the post with a note thanking me for remembering it and liking it. Turns out that my friend's flatmate was the writer.

Sod the internet, the old ways are the best.

Cerys

Oh, wow - I remember that!  I didn't remember the title, though.

Pseudopath

Quote from: sirhenry on March 12, 2013, 05:41:03 PM
I mentioned it to a friend a couple of years ago and she mysteriously said she might be able to help me out... Within the week a VHS of it arrived in the post with a note thanking me for remembering it and liking it. Turns out that my friend's flatmate was the writer.

Sod the internet, the old ways are the best.

I don't suppose you know any six-foot-tall cartoon lions with a penchant for ice cream, do you?

Junglist

Quote from: Sasha on March 12, 2013, 12:24:53 AM
the story of O ( without paying)

Book or film? Film is fairly easy to find, not looked for the book.

Queneau

I was going to say the 1982 BBC adaptation of Priestley's An Inspector Calls, which I have a VHS recording somewhere in the loft. But it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vukp3EFVweQ

VegaLA

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on March 12, 2013, 12:03:44 PM

DAUGHTERS OF SATAN (1972), starring Tom Selleck.

Ahhh....we could be onto something here...........

Junglist

I can get ya Daughters of Satan, babe. It looks shit but whaddaiknow.

Beautiful.

VegaLA

Well... its available to stream on Netflix....excitement is running high............

Queneau

Quote from: Phil_A on March 07, 2013, 10:46:18 AM
Any footage of failed Richard Blackwood BBC3 sitcom vehicle "Ed Stone Is Dead". Starting to think it may actually be an urban myth, or something Blackwood invented to make his CV look better.

Dreadful. I watched all of that, as I often do with bad comedy. I also haven't been able to find anything online. Lemon Jelly featured on the soundtrack - I remember that much.

Pseudopath

Quote from: VegaLA on March 12, 2013, 09:45:51 PM
Well... its available to stream on Netflix....excitement is running high............

There's a clip of the film on YouTube which is verrrrry similar to that butter-knife in the back scene you described (although she doesn't actually stab him): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_GusW0fDn4

VegaLA

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 12, 2013, 10:36:16 PM
There's a clip of the film on YouTube which is verrrrry similar to that butter-knife in the back scene you described (although she doesn't actually stab him): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_GusW0fDn4

AND the results are in. Yes, I think this is the film I saw when I was a wee lad one late Saturday night in the 70s. The poor butter knife she stabs him is as I remember but the way it is done, on the couch laying down is a complete miss. I am sure they were standing up, hugging in front of a fireplace but I know how time can mess with memories. I will geta round to watching the whole thing from begining to end but thats one thing off my list.

Thanks again!

Sasha

Quote from: Junglist on March 12, 2013, 06:23:46 PM
Book or film? Film is fairly easy to find, not looked for the book.

Film, I have tried several times, ALL the sites want me to give me CC details.

Junglist

Quote from: Sasha on March 13, 2013, 12:16:11 AM
Film, I have tried several times, ALL the sites want me to give me CC details.

There's SD, 720p or 1080p on Passthepopcorn. I'm also doing a Handbrake encode of The Sexual Story of O (1984) tomorrow.

I could grab the SD (DivX) and up it to a Dropbox for ya?

sirhenry

Jackson K Pollock

Stella Street series four.

Baffling, as one-to-three and the movie have all received video (and possibly DVD) releases, as well as being uploaded to Youtube and various torrent sites.

Also the CBBC show "Aliens In The Family" from the 1980s.

chocky909

Steel River Blues

It's like London's Burning but it was set in Middlesbrough. I couldn't give a shit about it but a Fireman[nb]He applied for the Fire Service but failed the grip test[/nb] obsessed work colleague mentioned it and I've been trying to hunt down a rip of it for a few years now. I've got a request on TKMAXX and someone said they saw a bootleg on sale on ebay once but I still haven't tracked a copy down.

I don't even like the guy much but it's a challenge I suppose.

The Masked Unit

Quote from: Too Many Cochranes on March 08, 2013, 09:36:23 AM
Not Travel Fox or British Knights round your way? I spent about £70 on a pair of maroon Travel Fox with a quilted pattern upper. What a berk.

Yeah, I was just using Air Max and Jordan as shorthand really, although in my book they can't be beat. Travel Fox, BK, FILA, Champion, Chipie, New Balance, SPX, Troop etc would all be quite acceptable as would Adidas and Reebok, although somehow it was an established fact in our school that Troop donated money to the Ku Klux Clan so you couldn't really be seen to be supporting them back when Afrocentricity was all the rage in Hip Hop.

Back to the subject though - are you saying that you a) had trousers called Jammers round your way and b) you wore them or other baggy trousers tucked into diamond socks?

No Jammers in Northumberland in the early 90's I'm afraid, but thanks for reminding me of Troop trainers. I don't remember any tuckage going on either.

I think I remember some lads sewing beer towels into their jeans though, as patches, but it might be my brain making this up.