Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:04:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

More flexi-discs that have turned up in the past few weeks

and the answer is.... no.

Great card disc given away at BP petrol stations - it plays at 78rpm so must be late 50's early 60's.

A similar card disc but this one features animals from the Warsaw Zoo released in 1975.

Jazzy versions of Hovis ads from 1969, if you knead to find a copy you'll find they are no relation to the band Bread, crumbs!

Record shop promo flexi by the Japanese electronic band given away free by Our price etc in 1981

more freebie odds 'n' ends

Quite possibly the inspiration for I'm Mandy Fly Me?

French flexi Overload!!

Pretty Polish Postcard

Released in the late 60's this disc originally came with a creepy doll, complete I'd imagine these would be worth quite a bit.

buzby

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 12, 2020, 12:47:34 PM

Quite possibly the inspiration for I'm Mandy Fly Me?
Both Graham Gouldman and Eric Stewart have claimed they had the inspiration for 'I'm Mandy Fly Me' from seeing an airline poster in Manchester Airport - Stewart claims it as an American Airlines poster that said 'Hi, I'm Cheryl... Fly Me!'. Gouldman says it was a United airlines poster that said ''I'm Susie, fly me to Miami'. Neither's recollections are correct, as it was in fact the Miami-based National Airlines who ran the infamous $9.5 million 'Fly Me; ad campaign in 1971 that raised the ire of feminists:

Whoever of the two that had the original inspiration,, it was Kevin Godley who was responsible for kicking the song into shape (kist like he did on I'm Not In Love).

The British Airways 'Fly The Flag' campaign was from 1975, when BOAC and BEA were nationalised into a single airline and the new name and Union Jack tail branding was introduced. It was created by Foote Cone & Belding, a US ad agency, written by an American songwriter and sung by an American session singer. The advert and the sleeve of the promo single feature Roz Hanby, a real BA flight attendant who was selected to be the face of the ad campaign.

Head Gardener

good info buzby, thank you

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That Bobbie Gentry doll looks more like Ruth Buzzi.

Head Gardener

Vinyl finds from a weekend trip to Dundee and a day out in Reading.

Perhaps the only place I was ever going to find a fully sealed England football LP was going to be a charity shop in Scotland.

Bizarrely these 2 old rockers were in the same box in an Age Concern shop.

Weirdest find was this album of salesmen seminars by the Combined Group Of Companies, complete with booklet insert.

A great double album of Poe stories with excellent gruesome sound effects.

No nasty sound effects on this album that simply explains how you can win your scouting badges, zzzzzzzz......

No sexy sound effects here but a couple of good Donna Summer covers.

Mildly interesting unknown fact from a lifelong LFC fan : The day he retired in 1974 my parents brought home a new pet,
a myna bird who I named Shankly in tribute to the great man.

One of several excellent albums I have enjoyed after buying a big Jazz & Blues collection recently.

I found a handful of singles too and this one is a stand out oddity.

An over sized 78 flexi stuck onto card available in exchange for chocolate wrappers.

Brundle-Fly

Brilliant finds as ever, Headers. Funnily enough, I picked up that Edgar Allan Poe LP too last year.

Head Gardener

finds in early March

Been after a decent copy of this old 70's comp for ages and it's still really bad, as in good.

I took a punt on these old soundtracks of films I'd never heard of with mixed results.

This was an unusual find, a double album of stories for schools released via the BBC & Penquin Books in 1973

A copy of the classic Ian Fleming story on an imprint better known for releasing Psych albums by Arzachel and Raw Material.

One I've been digging from a Jazz collection I bought recently - hear

Cat bothering bad opera compilation - hear

£1 find I hope to put to good use.

Lovely unusual private pressing I found in the same box as the jingles 12".

Head Gardener

all found for a pound a pop in a couple of boxes at an antique market

The theme to TV show Follyfoot - nice touch with the release date stamped at top of the sleeve.

This has the release date stamped on the side of the sleeve too.

Four track EP from 1977

B side is The Finale sung by Edda.

Taken from their beautiful Barafundle album.

Demo for the theme from the 1968 movie of the same name that starred Lucille Ball & Henry Fonda.

Best find was this gem by Broadcast, probably the first vinyl by them I have ever found out in the wild.

A few oddities

Despite it's title this doesn't sound like it has any Zappa connection, it sounds more like a rubbish Rolling Stones song.

Described on her sole LP as a cross between Max Boyce & Pam Ayres this is her blue vinyl EP featuring Viva La Wales (Viva Espania)

A great Century 21 adventure released in 1967, luckily the token was not cut out of the sleeve on the back to enter the competition.

Head Gardener

I picked up some Bowie bits but these 3 were the pick of the finds at my first ever Monday car boot!

a test pressing by mid 80's folk band

private pressing by hairy rockers Terraplane (I took a punt on this as he wanted £6 so I offered £5 which turned out to be a good deal)

the only single by 2 out of 4 Rutles

Brundle-Fly

Interesting haul. Never knew there were Dirk & Stig singles. Love that Saturn logo too.

Head Gardener

then

finally cleared the cellar, am a bit sad but a new, most probably blue cellar awaits in Scotland

now

Head Gardener

A very early start dug up a few gems in a packed field this morning, I awoke early and after putting the kettle on and looking up at the time then realised
I was an up an hour too soon so went back to bed until 6:15 and then merrily drove off to sit in a queue outside the massive car boot in Northampton.

There were plenty of singles and one guy had 2 huge boxes at 25p a go, so I pulled loads including Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd and even an 80's re-issue of The High Numbers I'm The Face which was an unexpected treat but this 7" was the pick of the bunch for me as I never knew the French drink Pernod had released a record on it's own label before and it's pretty good. video

I saw a bloke dipped down over a big box of promo card & pvc sleeved promo CD's and started to dig when the woman said "these were my ex-husbands, he used to have a record shop, you can have the lot for £8" which was so cheap I couldn't haggle so just said yes straight away and the bloke who had been going through them was a bit miffed but he had a handful of them and she told him to just keep them. There were so many I have pulled out loads of compilations to listen to on my trips up to Scotland and will give a mate who is helping me to move all the rest. The smiley face sleeved disc turned out to be a great surprise, it's by someone called Dr. Coca Cola and it's worth the free download : http://www.duckworthsquare.com/AAS037/

I couldn't resist these which were all on the same stall at 2 x fiver, the Screaming Lord Sutch is a keeper!

Head Gardener

Hits and misses at a couple of tip shops this week, I doubt the Scottish ones I'll soon be visiting will be quite so eclectic or fruitful...

Despite heavy racks of vinyl I only found a couple of bits in here.

This isn't all that rare but it caught my interest to find out what a Bond era Connery has to say on it.

This kind of single is catnip to me, I have yet to hear it though as I've already packed away my deck but I'm sure it has some merit.

All sorts of things turned up in these ramshackle piles.

I have the Trunk OST album but never seen this US copy with actual episodes on before.

I don't remember this version at all and I'm old! The New Seekers version is on the flip though and everyone knows that one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XESsByYexQw

Rarest find was this 1st pressing (of only 250 copies) of the debut release by The Deep Freeze Mice.

The most curious was this Mexican 12" club mix by Jabba's Palace Band

Head Gardener

Mixed picking in my first week since moving to Scotland, I'll be heading back to my regular haunts in sunny England once every 6 weeks
or so but considering how most of the charity shops are shut and the car boots are yet to kick off up here it hasn't been such a bad week.
Scottish law demands that face masks be worn from this week too so I covered up and headed into Arbroath and Forfar.

The Serge connection was enough for me to take a punt on this French EP from 1960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqQig5N6c3s&feature=youtu.be

Nice surprise find of the week was this single that I'd not heard of before but looked interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-lbnm59OV4&feature=youtu.be

Rarest find was this Xian Folk 7" which originally came free with a Scottish bands privately pressed album in 1978 sadly there was no LP in the box but this is quite lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUJda6C9Ez8&feature=youtu.be

Marner and Me

As a budding bedroom DJ these musical frisbees are something I'm starting to collect now after a solid 6 months on scratch samples and beat samples vinyl. I pickup from eBay the House of Pain Jump Around single.

Head Gardener

I have discovered the joys of Scottish auctions this week which has turned up all sorts of things and not just records, I won a couple of boxes of folk albums
of varying quality but pretty much all in tip top condition. However, when the kind gentleman from the auction house loaded them into my car told me to make room
for the other stuff I'd won which confused me as I assumed I'd only won records but it seems part of the lot included paintings, crockery, mirrors and other stuff I never
wanted. So the lesson I have learned is that I have to watch the "additions" to lots I bid for as I was left with a car full of some dead persons belongings that I had to make
a trip with straight to the nearest charity shop, apart from a couple of really nice plant pot holders.

I found quite a few Scottish singles in the charity shops (probably no surprises there) but there were some interesting ones (to me) like this pair celebrating
the opening of the Tay road bridge in August 1966 turned up among the albums. The blue bags hanging from the railings were full of sweets and crisps (not poo)
and are dotted along the bridge, not sure if these have been left to try and dissuade folk from leaping off but it's possible as there are lots of warning signs not to jump.

The legendary rail bridge is in the distance, it was as grey a day as it looks too.

Charity shops and SNP HQ side by side.

A cool minimalist sleeve for a disc by a folk duo released in 1963 and how nice to "come by" a whistling EP by the great Jimmy Shand.

Does it get any more Scottish than these three?

yes it does...

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

I'm currently on a trip to my old hunting grounds, local car boots & charity shops etc, I've had a few good finds in Scotland including a huge jazz collection but for sheer I-never-know-what-is-gonna-turn-up,
Northamptonshire has few equals for surprises, although I rarely stray further than Bucks so I'm kinda biased, but I did find a few nice things at a boot and a shop with the weekend finds to come.

Time was I'd pay little attention to the boxes the records were in but this pretty 60's case was too good to leave for a pound.

Some of the more interesting albums most of which were 50p from the same car boot as the fancy case.

I assumed the 'Featuring CHILDREN' refered to the kids on the front but it was to a composition of his own and sadly not a cover of the Robert Miles tune either.

I've never come across a copy of this scarce album before, the sleeve has wear but the disc is lovely.

A nice minty album of childrens songs released on a Topic imprint, some good witchy (Ritual Games) tunes on side 1.

I find it incredible that an Appalachian folk album released in 1977 to raise money for an obscure American coal mine somehow finds it's way to a field in Northampton!
It's signed on the rear but I can't make out if it's either of the artists - Rich Kirby or Michael Kline.

The tip shop in town had a lot of fresh albums but I unearthed some interesting globe spanning singles.

Arabian release from 1962 by Saken Qassadi

Square flexi-postcard picture disc from Venice.

Obscure Welsh indie band from 1984.

UK one sided stereo test disc.

12" of the classic Planet Rock complete with Hip Hop sticker.

kaprisky

I hope you picked up that copy of Come Again! Having said that I saw a vinyl copy of Ad Nauseam last year but left it because it was only in a paper sleeve and was scratched up. I've bought all three Derek and Clive albums on CD from charity shops over the years.

Head Gardener

Quote from: kaprisky on August 06, 2020, 08:38:15 PM
I hope you picked up that copy of Come Again!

it's great but I have it already - on vinyl and CD

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

You weren't tempted by that copy of " Oi! -The Album" ?

Head Gardener

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 06, 2020, 10:13:13 PM
You weren't tempted by that copy of " Oi! -The Album" ?
too scratched, am too fussy for my own good!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 07, 2020, 08:34:11 AM
too scratched, am too fussy for my own good!

I suppose the Wilma Flintstone/ Bambi collaboration was too scratchy as well.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 07, 2020, 08:49:08 AM
I suppose the Wilma Flintstone/ Bambi collaboration was too scratchy as well.

yup, I would have had it otherwise - kids records are usually scratched to hell, they have/had no respect for future diggers

Head Gardener

The local Dundee Courier newspaper have done a feature on my record collecting habits today, it's on their site with a video of me waffling on the hoof with the article itself to be published soon, possibly tomorrow.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Why is Pete Townshend holding some of your records up?

Head Gardener

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 07, 2020, 05:14:59 PM
Why is Pete Townshend holding some of your records up?

I had to pay him a fortune to do that, I hope it was worth it

Malcy

Picked up a few records today. Was delighted to find Wings Venus & Mars for £1. Noticed on the train home that the cover has obviously been used for someone as a table while they write on paper as it is indented with ramblings such as

'Scottish Cup Final'
'Please, Please, Please, Cameraman's
'Shave Them Karen & Viv'

And TONS more I haven't deciphered yet. Found a bit of an old newspaper in the sleeve. A picture of a woman's legs. Odd I thought. Found another bit inside of a page 3 girl with the following written on her body.

"Fiona, can I suck right THARE please say Fiona"
"What size right THARE please"

And thats just each of her nipples. Fairly sure there's a jizz stain on the front of the cover as well.

Think I need to burn it. Where's everyone uploading pics to that they post here?

Head Gardener

That sounds like an interesting find, V&M originally came with stickers and posters too funnily enough, for pics I use photobucket (although it's often unreliable) or Imgur which is free and easy and probably best

Head Gardener

Visited my first Scottish car boot on Sunday, the field slowly filled up but there were some very dodgy looking characters about, so I had to watch my step but
I found a few albums and just missed getting into a good box first and I was up at 6am. These are some of the folky things, there were more a lot more, at 50p a pop.

Not a Scottish folk album in the same box as the three above shock!! a great sleeve for this one from '73

On Saturday morning I had visited a Northampton boot before I drove to Dundee (bloody hardcore me) and found a few things I liked.

A local rap act 12" from the early 90's released by the Northampton Musicians Collective, inside was a flyer to a local festival, below.

A well loved but playable copy of Stevie's 2nd single from 1962.

I couldn't find anything online about this 10" disc, possibly because typing Marley Vinyl into a search engine throws up quite different results!

I admit I only picked this up for the cheesy sleeve, but listening through it's not that bad either.