Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:39:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

album finds in recent weeks from a few charity shops and a couple of boots, the sun shines on the early bird

broody

jazzy

soundtracky

poppy

kaprisky

Those Matt Helm films are in regular rotation on the Sony Movie channels. They usually have two running jokes throughout: firstly, Dean Martin will be listening to a radio when one of his songs comes on. He'll mutter: "what's this rubbish", then tune into another station which plays another of his songs, then say: "that's better!" Secondly, there will be a gag with him and an attractive woman on his waterbed, which then drops them/propels them into his jacuzzi nearby.

Tarantino picked The Wrecking Crew last year as part of his season of films to tie into the release of Once Upon A Time... due to the appearance of Sharon Tate. The gag was a bed on a train.

Head Gardener

a couple of nice finds this morning, top one is a Scottish comedian from the early 30's and the bottom one is street singers and nowt to do with the 90's US Indie band

Head Gardener

Picked up some unusual BBC records I'd not come across before earlier this week stuffed at the back of a box of Mantovani and James Last albums.
They all have what sounds like easy listening background music on, they are not muzak as such, more light orchestral instrumentals.
I guess they were issued to radio stations in the late 60's early 70's? but there is little info on them online to confirm.

Head Gardener

my local paper has done a follow up article on the records I found a few weeks back - am chuffed to bits that they have included a link to my mix!

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/nostalgia/1531822/dundee-showbiz-boss-speaks-of-regret-that-folk-duo-didnt-walk-the-tay-road-bridge-to-success/

Head Gardener

fresh flexi find in Fife

Head Gardener

I've picked up a mixed selection of 7" finds on a trip down south, I only came to Northants see my mum for a few days but she insisted on taking me charity shop hopping.
She's got a great eye for ceramics and jewellery but I tend to stick to the things I know best and they're usually round with sound.

yes it's (probably) rubbish but I can't leave 20p records like this for some strange reason.

These 2 EP's we're sandwiched between some classical LP's, I was very pleased with the Moondog as I've never found anything by him in the wild before.

listen

Lovely blue vinyl horoscope disc from 1960, I guess there are more in the set...

I'd never heard this this 70's Dutch summer tune before but it has a spookily familiar tune.
listen

a Funky Disco classic

Scarce finger snapping tune from '63

Even Discogs don't have this single listed, it was the theme to a musical about Robin Hood starring Ronnie Corbett that totally bombed.

Head Gardener

Various vinyl finds at a car boot, a tip shop and an auction lot win.

I'm quite into folk music but this global lot are really Inter folk!

This curious looking pair caught my eye in a 50p box but they both turned out to be line dancing records, damn.

A tune still used today to plug things in Corby even though it's steel industry is long gone, it came in a nice swirly paper sleeve but I doubt that originally came with it.
listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8i9Y0WVTgo

An unusual white label 12" from 1986 sent by Alex Pascall who was the organizer of the Notting Hill Carnival at the time to his friend John
it features 2 songs to promote the Caribbean Focus Festival, I could find no other info on this so if anyone knows more?

Released in 1969 this was 1 of only 2 records released by the SCS the other was a year later and called Songs From Irish Pubs.

Dear old Mike certainly loved his idol Winifred Atwell and was an incredible pianist.
listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqj5l7_ZP94

To find this LP in a charity shop in Bletchley, Milton Keynes is probably just as freaky as this 1966 album.
listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRoQcjYFrd8&feature=emb_logo

I have a tidy copy of Ravi's first UK album from 1956 but the vinyl on this, his third one from 1959 looks unplayed.

phantom_power

My localish record shop has a copy of Chill Out by KLF that I have had put aside for me. It is pretty pricey but also quite rare, and I am trading a load of old records I don't play any more so it isn't actually costing me any money. Didn't think I would ever see on in the wild

Head Gardener

An afternoon in Aberdeen turned up some interesting finds.

I Googled 'charity shop warehouses' and discovered a couple of vinyl drops, with one offering a fine selection of walking sticks and the other picnic hampers.

I am sure I have another copy of this 2 x LP spoken word tour of The Pyramids somewhere, but I know it doesn't have the little booklet insert.

A pair of early 70's Dana Gillespie albums, the best (red) one has a cover of Andy Warhol with Bowie & The Spiders From Mars backing her.

First Jamaican pressing of the second album by a priest who sings a strangely delightful hybrid of Christian Folk and Reggae.

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adhkU6k9diQ

Dunno wtf this is tbh but it was signed and was on SRT which is an imprint that turns up unusual tunes.

Another odd album, the sleeve and it's exclusive availability through the NY Herald Tribune paper piqued my interest, might be just rubbish though.

odd singles, like the DVD's and CD's in the store they were 10 for a pound!

released in a limited edition of 200 copies

Catchy power pop, does kinda sound like Blondie

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQBtp_o7Ajg

Signed by Ruthie herself, whoooo?

The Belgian Tornadoes!

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Midjtxt6JmE

Very scarce (ie hardly anyone bought it) charity 7" from an Edinburgh band released in 1982 - note mis-spelling on front of gatefold sleeve.

Nicest find was this Canadian kids picture disc released in 1948

Mantle Retractor

I thought I'd ask this question here rather than start a new thread...

I've recently bought my first turntable (a cheap Wockoder) and have nabbed a load of the records from my parents' collection that I grew up with.

I've also bought brand new copies of Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock and David Bowie's Low, all from Amazon. They're all desert island albums for me so I had to get them first.

Laughing Stock is fine but the other two constantly skip - but only on Side A. Side B works fine for both. All the other historic records I've taken play well, despite their age and the odd scratch here and there.

Today Amazon have sent me two replacement copies and...they skip in exactly the same places. They will have to be returned and I won't be asking for a third copy of each.

Is this a common fault with vinyls or are these dodgy pressings? Have I been incredibly unlucky or has this been caused by how the records have been stored in the warehouse?

I'm new to all this and don't have a bloody clue but this seems incredibly infuriating.

I think my next course of action will be to wander around the charity shops of Blackpool to see what gems I can unearth...

buzby

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on October 06, 2020, 09:40:45 PM
I thought I'd ask this question here rather than start a new thread...

I've recently bought my first turntable (a cheap Wockoder) and have nabbed a load of the records from my parents' collection that I grew up with.

I've also bought brand new copies of Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock and David Bowie's Low, all from Amazon. They're all desert island albums for me so I had to get them first.

Laughing Stock is fine but the other two constantly skip - but only on Side A. Side B works fine for both. All the other historic records I've taken play well, despite their age and the odd scratch here and there.

Today Amazon have sent me two replacement copies and...they skip in exactly the same places. They will have to be returned and I won't be asking for a third copy of each.

Is this a common fault with vinyls or are these dodgy pressings? Have I been incredibly unlucky or has this been caused by how the records have been stored in the warehouse?

I'm new to all this and don't have a bloody clue but this seems incredibly infuriating.

I think my next course of action will be to wander around the charity shops of Blackpool to see what gems I can unearth...
I doubt it's the fault of the records, to be honest (unless they are warped or rippled to the point of it being obviously visible). It sounds more like the setup of the tracking force/balance/anti-skate of the arm on the Wockoder (which looks like it's not adjustable, unfortunately). Are there any commonalities in when the skipping occurs, such as on loud sections of a song?

Mantle Retractor

Quote from: buzby on October 07, 2020, 02:08:32 PM
I doubt it's the fault of the records, to be honest (unless they are warped or rippled to the point of it being obviously visible). It sounds more like the setup of the tracking force/balance/anti-skate of the arm on the Wockoder (which looks like it's not adjustable, unfortunately). Are there any commonalities in when the skipping occurs, such as on loud sections of a song?

Thank you for replying buzby.

The plot thickens with this one. I did wonder if the dynamics of the tracks (i.e. the louder bits) were to blame. I also experimented with turning the volume up and down as I remember from being a child cranking something up very loud could cause skipping (the fucked copy of The Wall that I've inherited is testament to this).

Basically, for Low there are only two skipping tracks for the whole album: the first two ("Speed of Life" and "Breaking Glass"). The vinyl is fine, clean, unblemished. The skipping starts immediately and then when "What In The World" begins it plays like you would expect right until the end.

Spirit of Eden is a bit weirder. The album starts perfectly and only starts skipping when the vocals arrive in the first track, "The Rainbow". The skipping continues until more or less the vocal ends. From the harmonica solo onwards everything is all fine and dandy. The subsequent tracks, "Eden" and "Desire" both have shifting dynamics (some quite loud cacophonous bits in places) and these come through fine.

So, roughly the first 5 minutes of both of these vinyls are the problem and the rest is all grand. Ideally, I would like to play them on another (better quality) player (or more than one) to see if the issues occur on them, but that sadly isn't an option at the moment.

I am now wondering whether I can live without the first few moments of two of my favourite albums ever...finding a copy of each in a charity shop would help. But not in the charity shops of Cleveleys, where I spent this afternoon. I've never seen so many Roger Whittaker and Perry Como records in my life.

buzby

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on October 07, 2020, 07:24:55 PM
Thank you for replying buzby.

The plot thickens with this one. I did wonder if the dynamics of the tracks (i.e. the louder bits) were to blame. I also experimented with turning the volume up and down as I remember from being a child cranking something up very loud could cause skipping (the fucked copy of The Wall that I've inherited is testament to this).

Basically, for Low there are only two skipping tracks for the whole album: the first two ("Speed of Life" and "Breaking Glass"). The vinyl is fine, clean, unblemished. The skipping starts immediately and then when "What In The World" begins it plays like you would expect right until the end.

Spirit of Eden is a bit weirder. The album starts perfectly and only starts skipping when the vocals arrive in the first track, "The Rainbow". The skipping continues until more or less the vocal ends. From the harmonica solo onwards everything is all fine and dandy. The subsequent tracks, "Eden" and "Desire" both have shifting dynamics (some quite loud cacophonous bits in places) and these come through fine.

So, roughly the first 5 minutes of both of these vinyls are the problem and the rest is all grand. Ideally, I would like to play them on another (better quality) player (or more than one) to see if the issues occur on them, but that sadly isn't an option at the moment.

I am now wondering whether I can live without the first few moments of two of my favourite albums ever...finding a copy of each in a charity shop would help. But not in the charity shops of Cleveleys, where I spent this afternoon. I've never seen so many Roger Whittaker and Perry Como records in my life.
I've just listened to those tracks and it sounds like it could be a combination of the turntable not being level, too little tracking force and incorrect (or no) antiskate force, which is being exacerbated by the loudness and boosted bass that is typical of modern vinyl mastering (the recent master made of Low in particular apparently has issues with the bass levels on Side 1, which is apparently how Tony Visconti wanted it).

There is a discussion on Reddit about the recent Parlophone Bowie reissues (Ziggy Stardust is really bad for skipping, apparently) and skipping on Speed Of Life but most of the participants mention thay have cheap turntables. There's also this discussion on the (more reputable) Steve Hoffman forums about the Bowie reissues that mentions skipping and one poster mentions he solved it by adjusting his tracking force and anti-skate after upgrading from a cheap Sony turntable that wasn't adjustable.

Unfortunately the Wockoder is what it is, a cheap turntable (it uses a similar cheap plastic mechanism to Crosley turntables, which are notoirously bad). Having the speaker in the same box as the turntable doesn't exactly help things either - the mechanism does appear to have suspension, but at higher volume levels the vibrations from the speakers can lead to sympathetic vibrations in the platter and tonearm that can also cause skipping (which is why you don't normally put your record player next to your speakers). My advice would be to save up for a better turntable.

phantom_power

Stick a penny on the arm, if they still have pennies these days

Mantle Retractor

Thanks again for the response and the links to those forums.

Quote from: buzby on October 08, 2020, 09:06:50 AM

Unfortunately the Wockoder is what it is, a cheap turntable (it uses a similar cheap plastic mechanism to Crosley turntables, which are notoirously bad). Having the speaker in the same box as the turntable doesn't exactly help things either - the mechanism does appear to have suspension, but at higher volume levels the vibrations from the speakers can lead to sympathetic vibrations in the platter and tonearm that can also cause skipping (which is why you don't normally put your record player next to your speakers). My advice would be to save up for a better turntable.

Ultimately, this is it. Although it looks nice as a piece of furniture in my man cave, I've gone for a budget choice, wanting to reminisce with the old vinyls, and am now getting grumpy that a brand new remaster doesn't sound impeccable or might be misbehaving. I need to adjust my expectations and accept the hardware I have - or upgrade if I want to take it more seriously.

Quote from: phantom_power on October 08, 2020, 09:11:11 AM
Stick a penny on the arm, if they still have pennies these days

I've got a penny in my wallet, I shall try this also.

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on October 08, 2020, 09:39:41 AM
I've got a penny in my wallet, I shall try this also.

This will probably work, but doesn't do the record any favours.

Head Gardener

I'm back down south for a few days and after digging in a handful of local charity shops came away with some curious singles.
The first stop though was an antique centre where 7"s were £1 a pop, I'd actually have been tempted by more if they were 50p...

I was the most likely chap in town to snap this one up, initially thought it was a joke disc, but no it's for real

Debut disc by a power-pop duo called France/Angleterre ‎titled Carte De Visite in a signed fold-out sleeve.

Odds 'n' ends found elsewhere I've not listened to them all yet, but they took my fancy.

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vKtBIdT0d0

Orange/silver 2 x French EP released on Stampa Alternativa in 1987.

listen to No Strange : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOnxqIuwr9Y

listen to The Shamen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yHrsPW42-o

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rKgirV7wA8

Nicest find in a 50p box at the tip-shop was this old acetate featuring 4 covers of rock 'n' roll tunes by an unknown/forgotten band from the early 70's.

Rizla

Quote from: Head Gardener on September 27, 2020, 12:01:25 PM

Very scarce (ie hardly anyone bought it) charity 7" from an Edinburgh band released in 1982 - note mis-spelling on front of gatefold sleeve.

Briliant! Like every single band that has ever formed in Edinburgh since records began, they've gone up Calton Hill for a photoshoot*.

*until bands discovered that stupid wild west themed cul-de-sac up Morningside.

phantom_power

Charity shops seem to be full of good records at the moment. Not sure if it is because of the pandemic and a combination of people clearing out their houses in lockdown and not going to charity shops but yesterday I got about 15 records in a few charity shops in two different towns including albums by The Beat, Go-Gos, Kool Moe Dee, Madonna, Pink Floyd, Lloyd Cole, Odyssey, The Four Tops, Fun Boy Three and 12"s by The Beastie Boys and Lil Louis, and these were in places that are usually just Perry Como and Barbara Streisand. Is this a general trend or did I get lucky?

Head Gardener

Quote from: phantom_power on October 10, 2020, 05:23:02 PM
Charity shops seem to be full of good records at the moment. Is this a general trend or did I get lucky?

mix of both really, the charity shops in Dundee are pretty grim but down here in Milton Keynes there's much to find - still not as good as it used to be 10 years ago though

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: phantom_power on October 10, 2020, 05:23:02 PM
Charity shops seem to be full of good records at the moment. Not sure if it is because of the pandemic and a combination of people clearing out their houses in lockdown and not going to charity shops but yesterday I got about 15 records in a few charity shops in two different towns including albums by The Beat, Go-Gos, Kool Moe Dee, Madonna, Pink Floyd, Lloyd Cole, Odyssey, The Four Tops, Fun Boy Three and 12"s by The Beastie Boys and Lil Louis, and these were in places that are usually just Perry Como and Barbara Streisand. Is this a general trend or did I get lucky?

I've had a bit of good run in charity shops as well and in the past weeks having found records by Jesus and Mary Chain, Fad Gadget, New Order, Small Faces, John Fox, Depeche Mode, Julia Holter, Midnight Star and Prince.

And this...

https://www.discogs.com/Earthling-Dance/release/2061717

phantom_power

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on October 11, 2020, 08:56:09 AM
I've had a bit of good run in charity shops as well and in the past weeks having found records by Jesus and Mary Chain, Fad Gadget, New Order, Small Faces, John Fox, Depeche Mode, Julia Holter, Midnight Star and Prince.

And this...

https://www.discogs.com/Earthling-Dance/release/2061717

On vinyl? Jammy bastard

Bobby Treetops

Just noticed it's the bootleg version, but still it's a cracking album (think of a Japanese fella, doing a Brian Ferry impression over the softer side of Velvet Underground) and I'm very happy with my find.

Head Gardener

Album finds in one tip shop and two charity shops.

watch out he's going for his carrot!

Mantle Retractor

A trip to the charity shops of Poulton today brought me a couple of decent classical LPs and also this gem (with a very dubious blurb on the reverse). You're 'In Trouble' now, eh Bill?

SpiderChrist

Where I live the charity shops are pretty barren, but I did find a promo 12" of Aswad's Warrior Charge in the Wood Green shop the other week. They wanted £20 for it, but the cheapest copy I could find on Discogs was twice the price. Cover's a tad battered but it sounds mint. Well chuffed.

phantom_power

I don't mind paying a bit for a charity shop record as it can just be seen as a donation. I paid 20 quid for a copy of Dark Side of the Moon when I probably won't have paid that in a record shop

Head Gardener

Quote from: phantom_power on October 15, 2020, 11:09:14 AM
I paid 20 quid for a copy of Dark Side of the Moon when I probably won't have paid that in a record shop

if it's the 1st solid blue triangle issue it's £500+ in good nick