Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:07:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

found this box set (in with about 20 other box sets) in an auction win, ooh yeah

phantom_power

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 16, 2020, 10:44:17 AM
if it's the 1st solid blue triangle issue it's £500+ in good nick

Nah, it's a 5th pressing or something. There is a little note that came with it. It is probably worth about as much as I paid for it but I wouldn't normally spend 20 quid on a record unless it was one of my favourites, and DSOTM is far from that

Head Gardener

I've picked up some strange odds and ends in the past few weeks, I dunno if it was a karmic payback for dropping a load of albums and singles at my local Shelter
but I came across a lovely stash of folk and classical albums in a charity shop warehouse just hours afterwards, so I like to think what goes around comes around.

No doubt quite a story behind how these 2 Scottish paper bag and video ad cards turned up inside a South African album sleeve.

I have 4 of these South African albums somewhere but this one goes up to 11 and includes an unusual choice of Lennon cover.

I love discovering unusual Scottish singles I never came across in Northampton.

Another nice find to add to my football vinyl collection.

Best find was a EX+ copy of this Trojan album by Tommy McCook & The Supersonics which has at least half a dozen stunning standout tracks.
listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVPzf5Kq7AI

A John Hassell private pressing of a meditation record from 1966, it looks unplayed and came with a card insert.

I'd never seen or heard of this odd album from 1975 which is hit + miss but I think the right word is "interesting".
listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7XLPkVy2rY

Head Gardener

Bits & bobs picked up on a recent trip to the beautiful city of Perth, I was pleased to find this handful of early 60's card flexi-discs
which were given to doctors from drug companies as promo discs to persuade them to use their products.

Some drugs like Nialamide offered here once used to treat depression are now long out of use due to unforeseen side effects like Hepatotoxicity.

Diabinese is still in use today.

Terramycin is no longer available in many countires due to side effects.

This vinyl disc promoting high blood pressure drug Centyl came in a wrap around sleeve featuring the same design as the actual sleeve.

Away from drugs and away to the Mediterranean was the way ahead for Jan Cunningham who boarded the SS Uganda in Dundee for her trip of a lifetime.

hear it

When Jan and friends came back from their trip on the high seas with all that rich food she would have given this promo disc many spins.

One of the stars of The Rocky Horror Picture Show released this cheeky red vinyl 'triple B side' single in 1978.

hear it

The ultimate chill-out record for plants, which turns out to be mostly classical music, who knew?

phantom_power

How do you find and get access to charity shop warehouses?

Head Gardener

Quote from: phantom_power on November 27, 2020, 09:56:42 AM
How do you find and get access to charity shop warehouses?

I found 2 in Aberdeen by googling csw, they are usually open to the public but on industrial estates, there are a couple in Northampton too

Malcy

Narrowly missed out on 500 Vinyl for £100 earlier today on a FB buy and sell group that someone alerted me to. The collection looked to be in great nick and I would have sold what I didn't want. Ah well. Have made a few discogs orders recently but not been too happy with what I got.

Desperately hoping that shops open up in Glasgow next week. I could do with finding a warehouse thing like you go to Head Gardener. Hopefully one nearby. Google search didn't bring anything up.

Head Gardener

Freddie must have taken note of this album title by the Israel Philharmonic as it came out in 1972

Head Gardener

Records I have picked up in the past few weeks mostly in auction lots, some in Northampton and one lot in Dundee,
no prizes for guessing which country these few came from.

This caught my eye as I thought it said on the back that the drummer was Bill Nelson but I'd misread it, as it was Bill Neilson
and besides Bill is a guitarist anyway so it was one hell of a long shot!

Volume 1 was withdrawn of course as it was With Kids

Almost taking the piss in such Scottish pants, I really am gonna have to start a 'Scottish vinyl' blog soon...

Other bits from down south.

His brilliant debut 7" in great nick, thanks Ronnie.

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe82eYRjiBU

Quirky 4 track EP which I'd not seen before but I recognised a couple of the tunes.

This single has crossed my path before but not in this if... movie sleeve

I was well chuffed to find this pair of Century 21 EP's in the same box - never had a copy of the Daleks one before.

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_MPM7ZkN0Q

Never seen nor heard this one before either.

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SugBrPcnGzc

I didn't pick these up in an auction but found them in one of the many boxes of CD's in my garage after the move up north, the One Cut
disc looks like I hardly ever played it and the top 2 are We Love You Records comps and all 3 have artwork which makes them collectable
because of some fella called Banksy.

This was a sweet find in a charity shop in Arbroath last week, an un-played UK issue complete with booklet.

Head Gardener

It's been a while since I went digging anywhere and have since moved to Scotland, but rather than go back to England just yet I found myself digging in Wales,
however just while I was visiting friends there. These were found in a handful of charity shops, nothing too shabby & there were a load of cheap folk EP's I couldn't
resist picking up and I am certainly now the owner of far too many singles on the Cambrian label.

Nice poster I couldn't persuade my mate to part with even for some lovely Beatles albums, can't blame him.

£1 boxes

No shortage of action! or girls! on this cheesy mid 70's film soundtrack I'd not come across before, though it should have come with a warning sticker, contains Robin Askwith.

video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bObC71SdKmE

Really enjoying this one from 1968.

Sadly no paper bag sleeve with this flexi but it does feature the first recording by whistling Roger Whittaker under the pseudonym Hank And The Mellowmen.

I couldn't find anything online about this pair of acetates, one a 5" the other 10".

One of only a couple of singles ever released by the Daily Telegraph newspaper, narrated by a suitably plummy voiced lady.

A flexi-disc personal message to cereal growers about the different varieties of barley, nice postal sleeve.

Another flexi-disc, this one is narrated by the English character actor Vernon Reeves, okay yah.

Maybe it's because of dull songs like this that politicians are not releasing singles anymore, this one features the leader of the Liberal Party throughout the 60's.

Best of the bunch of 50p EP's I picked up, nicely signed on the back.

Brundle-Fly

Good haul! Chazza shops round my way at the moment have been slim pickings. Same old shite from last summer. Not much stock replenishment going on. Tell a lie, the arrival of loads of classical stuff and Max Bygraves on the shelves. Covid strikes again?

Head Gardener

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 08, 2021, 05:39:52 PM
Good haul! Chazza shops round my way at the moment have been slim pickings. Same old shite from last summer. Not much stock replenishment going on. Tell a lie, the arrival of loads of classical stuff and Max Bygraves on the shelves. Covid strikes again?

Cheers! I'd be all over those classicals, remember to look out for those 60's Decca & Columbia stereo's

Malcy

Had almost an hours wait for a train today so jumped in for a few records. Bought a few Chas & Dave. 2 of which were in a 3 for £10 deal. Was putting them into my Discogs and they're worth at least £25 each. One was even still sealed and both were promo factory samples. Successful day!

Not that I'd sell them though. Just finally got a job after a long gap so REALLY looking forward to payday and a massive haul!

Rizla

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 08, 2021, 05:17:34 PM

No shortage of action! or girls! on this cheesy mid 70's film soundtrack I'd not come across before, though it should have come with a warning sticker, contains Robin Askwith.

video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bObC71SdKmE

Nice find! I'm quite partial to a bit of Kipper. I follow Peter Cleall who plays the singer on Twitter, he's a good old leftie luvvie.

phantom_power

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 08, 2021, 05:39:52 PM

I've found the opposite. After each lockdown there has been an influx of stuff into the charity shops. The other week I got Scott 2, Hard Day's Night, More of the Monkees and loads more. I also got 14  albums for a quid from the shop at the local tip. Also got a couple of Carole King albums, one with handwritten translation of the lyrics into french inside, which was nice.

I also got a couple of things that have been on a subconscious list of things I want in my collection. I got a record that ends in a locked groove (Taking Tiger Mountain) and a record with a vinyl-only hidden track (Reckoning)

Malcy

I've only looked in charity shops from time to time as any time I've been in its just the same old stuff, none of which I have any interest in. Last one I looked in was 99% Nana Mouskouri.

Head Gardener

Not bad Sunday booting finds considering I only went to this one and was there at 7am, by the time I took this pic an hour later it was pretty much all over (for me)

The best fiver I spent was on a bundle of jazz books including this early 60's programme which had surprising extras.

I guess the guy (it was bound to be a guy, right?) who went to the show made these drawings as he sat tapping his foot.

Inside were some beautifully handwritten notes on the show, so I guess he went to the show to review it, maybe for Jazz Mag Monthly?

Finding some Scottish sevens was inevitable but I only picked up wheat I hadn't seen or heard of before, I don't just buy any old rubbish!

Loved this delightfully daft Celtic-electro-poppy-folk one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhRN-O0VakI

It wasn't all Scottish singles however, this signed Irish EP in a fancy sleeve was irresistible.

Always nice to find cheap 60's singles in good sleeves.

Three 'pound a pop' albums

This original UK mono in lovely condition was lurking in a box of Cliff albums.

A quite beautiful sleeve.

If they were releasing anti-cuts albums in the 80's, I wouldn't be surprised at an anti-vax compilation coming one day.

Head Gardener

some of the other Brubeck books

Head Gardener

This recent find of Kate Bush's Hounds of Love had mixed blessings, the slightly oversized outer sleeve is for the US promo edition which originally came with a bio/photos and the LP was even pressed on marble coloured vinyl, all tied up with a pink ribbon. Alas the copy I found in an animal charity shop (for £2, cheers!) has the outer fold-around cover + ribbon but the album inside is a UK stock issue with original inner/insert and not the fancy coloured version which I can assume the previous owner had swapped for this one and kept the other, but it's nice to have this outer sleeve and all even if it only just fits on my shelves.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 09, 2013, 06:51:45 PM
unusual England FC single from 1975 with dodgy lyrics! sample -
Added crapness points for England not even qualifying for the subsequent 1978 World Cup.

Head Gardener

best thing I found at the car boots this morning, £2 well spent but tbh listening through can't tell the difference to my vinyl copy, a bit warmer maybe!?

also on offer...

Malcy

A bomb? Where's the carboot? Is it good for records?

I've had a great old haul of vinyl in the past month. Bits of everything.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Malcy on June 07, 2021, 12:48:31 AM
A bomb? Where's the carboot? Is it good for records?

Errol - near Perth

pretty grim for records, though I did pick up a few things elsewhere, pics forthcoming

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Off topic but if it was up to me I'd have kept "Starring Steve Coogan" off the box itself and put it on that separate label. Bye

Sebastian Cobb

Haven't looked at this in a while, did you go to The Cavern when you were in Aberdeen HG?

It does have some gems but they know what stuff is worth so you might not get bargains.

I bet you got sick of seeing this one, every shop seemed to have several (and a mate who deals in car boot stuff has given me at least one):

Rizla

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 17, 2021, 02:12:56 PM

Loved this delightfully daft Celtic-electro-poppy-folk one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhRN-O0VakI

Produced by Steve Clinkscale! Clinkscales was a chain of music shops that lingered til I think the early 90s in various towns - the Edinburgh one was either southside or haymarket, or both. My WEM Copicat came from their Melrose branch, it still has the shop sticker on it. Sounds like he raided the shop for the latest hi-tech gadgetry for this session!

Unlike the shops, Ol' George would appear to be very much still in the game - http://www.hotdisc.co.uk/georgeinglis/index.htm

Head Gardener

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 07, 2021, 05:47:37 PM
Haven't looked at this in a while, did you go to The Cavern when you were in Aberdeen HG?

It does have some gems but they know what stuff is worth so you might not get bargains.

I bet you got sick of seeing this one, every shop seemed to have several (and a mate who deals in car boot stuff has given me at least one):

I have been to Aberdeen and know of a few good places to dig but it's 70 miles away so don't go often, Arbroath awaits tomorrow, whoo and erm, hoo

Quote from: Rizla on June 07, 2021, 06:11:52 PM
Unlike the shops, Ol' George would appear to be very much still in the game - http://www.hotdisc.co.uk/georgeinglis/index.htm

haha, brilliant!

Head Gardener

Mixed blessings at the car boots today, the early one on a local football field got pretty busy by 8am with cars still coming in and records actually coming out.

Nice original pressings for a pound a pop, shame the James Taylor was stereo as I know the mono is pretty scarce.

A slightly damaged sleeve didn't deter me from this budget issue especially as the vinyl was super clean.

In the same £2 box as Muddy was a well cheese & biscuity Sandy album.

Anytime of year is good to find this seasonally name changed offering from The Boys - the Xmas card insert was a nice bonus!

A trip over towards Perth to what is apparently Scotland's LARGEST CAR BOOT and where a lot of folk have semi-permanent stalls
where they store their crap stuff in shipping containers (!?!) and where the talk of the tables was that there had been a stabbing here last week, ho hum...

I took a pound punt on this shiny labelled bootleg by Leon Russell (quality turns out to be thankfully pretty good)
I stood behind a bloke who pulled all the Queen albums out of the box this was in, but he mysteriously left this in it as well as the LP below.

It was the mention of Current 93 on the cover and the odd tracklisting that caught my little eye.

Only found a couple of 7"s today but they were cheap & cheerful.

Head Gardener

I have a 7" single by Red Rum but this is a mid 70's LP about a lovely horse called Mill Reef, there is a statue of him in America.

Another LP from the mid 70's, this is not a horse or even a Centaur but a scary Snake Lady!

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KMMKYdR-_g

At a local car boot a bloke turned up with boxes of stuff a fiver a go, I found all sortsa things but these four were the pick of the bunch.

pinky Mott.

tri-riverboat Reprise.

2 x clear Global Communication.

red OST.

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05ghq2n25N8

Not too surprisingly I always seem to come across Scottish records, this was #213 of 550 copies.

Pretty (simple) sleeve for an album of choral music titled Songs of The Sea.

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kGFVHKlKig

the odd few singles

Folk EP by a band called Nashville Skyline who were quite well known around the area where I live in the late 70's.

2 x classic TV themes by Laurie Johnson.

Debut EP from the traditional Irish folk family.

I love that description at the bottom of the sleeve, the mic was in Japan for this one.

Head Gardener

I picked up a great collection of 60's & 70's folk & blues vinyl earlier in the week, a lot of Elektra, Transatlantic as well as the complete Ry Cooder back cat.
These original album catalogues from 1966 were in 2 of them and they are a snapshot in time before the heady sounds to come a year later like Love, The Doors etc.