Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:31:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Barrabas are great, I'm a big fan of Woman & Wild Safari, it's the same model on the LP cover you listed above as Salsoul Orchestra's - Nice 'n' Naasty chekky gatefold sleeve.

Nice find on the GC double clear vinyl too.

Head Gardener

I've been quite lucky these past few weeks getting in commission bids at auctions on boxes of LP's and leaving it to fate whether I won them or not.
Thankfully some gems have turned up most notably a very unusual edition of Sgt Pepper which I'd not seen before along with a collection of Blues & Folk albums.

From the front it looks like any other copy of The Beatles classic but it turned out this one was the censored issue pressed in Singapore in 1970.
Because of supposed drug references in 3 tracks: A Day In The Life "went upstairs and had a smoke" and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds LSD I imagine
and of course "I get high..." With a Little Help From My Friends  these were removed and replaced by songs from Magical Mystery Tour and they still mis-spelt I Am The Walrus, incredible!

These are a few of the Blues albums, it was a big box which I am still digging through.

A couple of cheeky albums I couldn't leave in a £1 box at a car boot sale

gotta love that sticker!

I have a couple of Blowfly's other 12 inchers but not come across this one before, arf!

some cheap seven inches

Discovered this lovely tune on this EP a close cousin of his classic Midnight, The Stars & You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qzjmaAzQV8

A delightful folk tune singing the virtues of cigarettes in an eastern European style.

No proper sleeve but great spooky sound FX from electronic wizard Frederick Charles Judd.

Mid 70's Indian EP from a Birmingham based duo which I picked up as it had a track called Fish 'n' Chips

Bizarre 7" by the diminutive comedian which features the talents of Peter Gabriel, Robert Fripp, Phil Collins and Sandy Denny among others!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQbO9cCfHIc

famethrowa

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 04, 2021, 08:45:14 PM

I have a couple of Blowfly's other 12 inchers but not come across this one before, arf!

I had to look up "Who Did I Eat Last Night?" to see if it was some bizarre cover of "In The Pines". It isn't

SpiderChrist

Was enormously chuffed to find a copy of Africa Stand Alone by Culture at the weekend. The bloke who runs the stall said he had just got a shitload of 70s roots reggae and punk in, so I'll be going back on Saturday...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Stand_Alone

Head Gardener

I'm still going through a bunch of LP's I won in an auction 2 weeks ago but these 7"s were car boot finds, there were more common ones too but these ones probably less so.

50p flexis - Alan Freeman's Pop Pickers was a competition promotion run by Littlewoods and still had the entry insert. The tunes "Fluff" wanted you to guess included Gary Numan, The Police and UB40 so it wasn't as hard as Radio 2's Popmaster. The Robert Maxwell flexi below is one I have already but the condition of this is better, the other had a kink in it or maybe it was just a bit crooked.

Another dodgy geezer (Jonathan King) was behind the hard sell of this awful single by a harmony group who sound like a really crap version of Darts.

This slightly better (upper class) harmony group recorded this tune to advise listeners how to change their BBC radio dials in 1978.

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbSMMNVOT0o

I have had a copy of this lovely single for years but had never found the picture sleeve until now.

Most copies of this single are usually found signed so this must be a rare un-signed copy, it does have the scarce sleeve stamp though!

Does it get any more niche than a youth choir from Sheffield who happen to play squash and sing for Jesus? I don't think so.

Released in 1968 and still sung by fans home and away today.

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtlmw8xpQJc

Best find of the week was probably this minty US issue in a great original sleeve.

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gst0m7c7GY

Although running it a close second was this EP of sound FX of ghosts and space ships.

Head Gardener

Some more of the folk and blues collection I bought recently that have made it to my deck over the weekend.

US stereo copy of their debut.

early 60's UK compilation

late 60's UK compilation

UK 10" from '63

UK budget issue from the early 60's

first US pressing of a live album from '61

rare solo debut by Irish folk singer Geraldine McKeever

unofficial UK issue released in '78 of a live recording in '65

kalowski

Don't know if this counts as a "find" as I got it via eBay, but it's a beautiful piece of work.

Custard

Bought that on CD just last week, and yep it's really good

The 20 year anniversary vinyl reissue of the Furries' Rings Around The World arrived today. Lovely artwork, lovely crisp sound, lovely lovely lovely

kalowski

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 03, 2021, 10:30:36 PM

The 20 year anniversary vinyl reissue of the Furries' Rings Around The World arrived today. Lovely artwork, lovely crisp sound, lovely lovely lovely
Oh yes, I picked that up from the local record shop today and am just about to put it on. The staff were raving about it.

Brundle-Fly

The charity shops around my way are slim pickings at the moment. I get the right Kermit looking at Head's hauls.

SpiderChrist

My local Wood Green chazza gets some nice stuff. Picked up a nice copy of the first Scott Walker album today for £15

Head Gardener

Car booty vinyl finds from sunny central Scotland.

I'd always known Billy Connolly was one half of this duo but this chap with The Big Yin is actually Tam Harvey who left soon after Gerry Rafferty joined.

A slightly less successful duo were father and daughter Larry & Shirley Peterson, the 7 years old yodels her way through the whole album while dad strums and grins.

I have the 1st UK issue with the T.Rex poster enclosed sticker but had not seen this Hot Car mag one before (probably as the previous owner stuck it on) but it looks good though!

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQi4Hf0Foa0

Another great sticker adorns this compilation from 1970 featuring Marc's old mate and an eclectic selection of friends.

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MXonBG5NI

I picked this up for the cover really and because it has a version of Birthday on it which isn't the most common of Beatles covers.

In the same box were this nice pair of 70's Bond soundtracks.

The only 7" I picked up today was this curio from 1963.

I was surprised to see this unusual Italian folk and poetry album along with it's hardback book in a pound box, 2 diggers ignored it before I got my grubby mitts on it,
I have not listened to it yet so maybe they knew something I didn't...

Head Gardener

blue 10" flexi circa 1930 released to promote a movie on British Lion Films, the audio is so poor I couldn't even make out what film it was meant to be promoting

Custard

Head Gardener

yellow 10" promotional flexi for Filmophone Records circa 1931

[/i]

Malcy

Got a new job so back to spending a fortune on records again. Have had quite a good haul the past month or so.

Nice little selection of Star Trek related stuff. The Wrath Of Khan soundtrack was the most I've ever paid for a record. A rare still sealed first pressing with no corner cuts or holes.

Was surprised to find the Majestics album. It's presented as a proper album from the fictional band rather than just a soundtrack to the tv series it's from, Tutti Frutti.

Head Gardener

A few 7" odds & ends I seem to have acquired in the last week or so.

I do already have a copy of this but this fresh one is in way better condition.

Not as groovy as I imagined but hey, it was only 50p.

Maybe not as awful as it could have been, I didn't even know he'd made any records until I found this.

Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEIkz3gLS8U

Someone else who's music had passed me by all these years, a singer who became famous for her complete lack of rhythm, pitch, tone and overall singing ability from liner notes:
"After a taxicab crash in 1943 she found she could sing 'a higher F than ever before'. Instead of a lawsuit against the taxicab company, she sent the driver a box of expensive cigars."

Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwthfxxbKho

A far more enjoyable singer (and harpist) was Miss Russell-Fergusson who's beautiful track The Lochan was featured on a mix I recorded for Tak Tent Radio recently.

A nice pair of picture sleeves singles I found in the same box.
Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LXpnNKNxJI

The only pair of singles released by the family folk group from Dundee including one singing the praises of the Discovery ship
launched in 1901 and the last traditional wooden three-masted ship to be built in the UK, she's still docked at the sea front.

3 beautiful red vinyl records of Beatrix Potter tales, also available on blue, green and black vinyl too.

Another 3 records which are on mottled blue, green, red and black were these Greek discs from the 60's including one by Mikis Theodorakis.

phantom_power

I was pleased to find a copy of I Am A Wallet by McCarthy for a tenner yesterday, as well as Happiness by The Beloved, Steve McQueen by Prefab Sprout and the Mute compilation A Historical Debt

Head Gardener

Quote from: phantom_power on October 03, 2021, 07:00:28 PM
I was pleased to find a copy of I Am A Wallet by McCarthy for a tenner yesterday, as well as Happiness by The Beloved, Steve McQueen by Prefab Sprout and the Mute compilation A Historical Debt
if you picked those up at the Groovy Fayre in London then thanks, as I had some of those on my stall!

phantom_power

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 04, 2021, 09:18:59 AM
if you picked those up at the Groovy Fayre in London then thanks, as I had some of those on my stall!

No, sorry. Cardiff

kngen

Quote from: Head Gardener on September 05, 2021, 01:44:33 PM

The only 7" I picked up today was this curio from 1963.

Fuck, my mate at primary school had that, and we used to phone random people up and play it to them (to occasional bafflement, but mostly swearing and then hanging up). This was Glasgow in the 70s ... so clearly this is the exact same record and is the Rosebud I thought was lost to the mists of time.

Head Gardener

Quote from: phantom_power on October 04, 2021, 09:26:05 AM
No, sorry. Cardiff

aww well that is spooky as I had the same bits in my box - incidently Thurston Moore bought some nice bits off me and I gave him a mix CD

phantom_power

Did you also have Music Has the Right to Children and Surfer Rosa because that would be fucking spooky

Head Gardener

Quote from: phantom_power on October 04, 2021, 06:36:33 PM
Did you also have Music Has the Right to Children and Surfer Rosa because that would be fucking spooky

alas no, but I did have some lovely things and met lots of nice folk, it was raining too so the local hipsters were crowding in to flick through my boxes, Surfer Rosa & Music Has The Right.. wouldn't even make it to my boxes as I'd not let them out of the house on their own - bet they were expensive too

Rizla

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 18, 2020, 04:36:38 PM

Volume 1 was withdrawn of course as it was With Kids

Willie Johnson, AKA Peerie Willie (peerie being shetlandese for "little") is regarded as the originator of the style of guitar accompaniment still prevalent in trad scots circles today, it being highly influenced by Django Rheinhart, whose music Johnson heard broadcast from Schenectady NY in the 1930's. The late Michael Marra paid tribute in his song Schenectady Calling, and Willie's portrait hangs in the Lerwick Lounge pub.

phantom_power

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 05, 2021, 06:32:02 PM
alas no, but I did have some lovely things and met lots of nice folk, it was raining too so the local hipsters were crowding in to flick through my boxes, Surfer Rosa & Music Has The Right.. wouldn't even make it to my boxes as I'd not let them out of the house on their own - bet they were expensive too

15 and 20 quid respectively. The SR cover is a bit knackered but they both play well

Head Gardener

Quote from: phantom_power on October 05, 2021, 07:10:53 PM
15 and 20 quid respectively. The SR cover is a bit knackered but they both play well

pretty good prices then, my copy of Surfer Rosa is pristine as I found one virtually unplayed out in the wild about 10 years ago which was a memorable find,
I took some pics at the fair Saturday, I probably should have taken more but was too busy talking, schmoozing & selling, it got so busy by lunchtime when the rains came.

this 7" was an interesting discovery

more pics soon

Head Gardener

Some of my flexi-disc finds at the Groovy Record Fayre in London last weekend. I bought most of them for 50p/£1 from DJ Food who had an amazing stall of goodies.

This is probably the most recent flexi of the lot from a punk band released in the US in 2018.

Square 5" disc by German Hip Hop band Die Fantastischen Vier from 1993.

German Easy Listening Jazz flexi by The Golden Eight & Helmut Siggi.

Another German (obv) disc in a sleeve that I doubt would be used to promote müsli these days.

Sugary Australian nursery rhymes sung sweetly by Patsy Biscoe.

UK disc issued by the GLC in 1985 to educate kids on road safety.

French audio magazine tone test disc.

10 x German ads for Coke.

My fave flexi find of the day was this late 50's promo for the Renault 2CV with a great pic of.... a duck.

Head Gardener

1970 BBC Records catalogue found inside this LP sleeve this morning - which also had its own insert

only ONE single available!

famethrowa

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 19, 2021, 11:39:11 AM

only ONE single available!

Well, Rick Wakeman took his time....

Seriously though, I love those catalogues, could read em for hours.

Quote from: BBC
I'd Like To Be A Lengthman

Well who wouldn't?