Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

QuotePersonally, I need to know the prices of each and every item posted in this thread. Make it so.

the ten inchers were £1 each and the folk LP was... yup a quid I rarely pay more than £3 for a record,
even when I sell at a fair or a boot sale I'll do £3 or 2 x £5 everytime, just keeping stuff in circulation

DrunkCountry

Not finds as such, but 2 recent buys[nb]The current RSD TWP Welsh language release & last year's RSD German language release[/nb] & an owned single all signed by Gedge on the weekend.

My copy of the TWP French language version of Why Are You Being So Reasonable Now? signed by David Gedge at Wales Goes Pop on 19th April 2014.

I got into that weird professional/fan arena of reminiscing with a famous[nb]in that he's a name[/nb] stranger about something that happened in the past of said famous stranger, who remembers less about the event than you do, & your only connection to said event is via watching it on TV at the time it occurred.

It concerned the Gedge/Gaz Top interview & the bizarre opening question, around the time of the release of WAYBSRN?, regarding what the name of the band meant & DG replying something along the lines of "it's a present... that you give... at a wedding..."

He'd forgotten about that & it made him chuckle.

TWP RSD Welsh language 10" signed by Gedge 19th April 2014.

Last year's RSD German language 10" signed by Gedge 19th April 2014.

£1.99 charity shop. I saw this a week ago in a bundle of records. Noticing me going through all the vinyl the manager asked me if I'd like to have first dibs on an unpriced bundle that had just been brought in.  I saw the LP at the time but, inexplicably, didn't buy it. Last Saturday I suddenly remembered this record, so I popped in on the off chance.

The vinyl is mint. Never been played I reckon.  Apart from the top seam glue drying & the edges opening up, there's nowt wrong with the cover either. Lovely find.

DrunkCountry

Some more from our favourite secondhand record store.

Fonzie Favourites 1977 re-issue. Part of a 3 for £5 deal (£1.99 on its own).

We spotted this in our favourite secondhand record store, like, months ago but we didn't buy it. We were talking about this record store with our mate & telling him how there's a potential treasure trove in the midst of the thousands of records scattered about in no real surviving order. We talked about the stuff we'd seen & bought including this album, describing the pop-out stand in the back that meant you could 'display' the album sleeve, the near perfect looking vinyl (it's a bit hissy) & decent cover (dried glue / loose seams), the fact it compiles some pretty sweet '50s rock n roll & includes the Happy Days theme tune, plus has an 'impressionist' track combining the catchphrases of the Fonz. Which made us kind of regret leaving it.

We didn't get chance to go back to the store until this weekend just gone & thankfully the record was still there.

Part of a 3 for £5 deal (£1.99 on its own).

We only had an hour to spare while at the store & this was one of the best finds in what we could scour during that time. Nice enough cover, vinyl is lovely. One pop, which happens at an inopportune moment in the audio, but apart from that it's a pretty smooth play.

Part of a 3 for £5 deal (£1.99 on its own).

Me & the missus had been talking about this album a few weeks back & she, from memory, wasn't convinced it was any good. I bought it when it came out & loved it, but I think my sister nicked it years ago. So, when I saw this I took a punt to see if it stood up. It kinda does. There are some ballsy good tunes on this, let down a little by some of the usual naff '80s production tropes, & it's a compelling debut. I actually liked Neither Fish Nor Flesh, too. Then again, I was used to Prince mucking about & ego-ing up by then.

£4 knocked down from £6 on the day. Knackered cover. Vinyl is perfect except for an ingrained dirt jump that needs a deep clean.

Okayish haul for an hour's poke-about.

DrunkCountry

Had an hour's dig about in Kelly's Records in Cardiff yesterday & managed to find these beauts:

His Is Name Is Alive's Livonia. Sleeve's a bit scuffed, but the vinyl is lovely.

Jane's Addiction's Ritual de lo Habitual. This was a bargain. Perfect vinyl. Cover's a bit scuffed up/pinholes in bottom left corner where I think the cover's been stuck on a wall or something.

Daniel Johnston's Lost & Found. Brand new, still in celophane. This is such a good find, especially in a secondhand store hidden deep within an unordered, sprawling J section.  £10.

QtheRaider

I found Dusty in Memphis Peter Sellers & Sophia Loren an RAF sound fx album introduced by Douglas Bader and the Original Trinidad Steel Band all for £2

lazyhour

50p at a car boot today, vinyl in excellent shape. Not really worth much, but I've only ever seen 7" copies of The Stripper before - never the spin-off album.

And here's the back (arf!):

Head Gardener

I've been a bit poorly with flu the past few weeks, so was pleased to find these £1 LP's & 50p 7"
on my trawl around the local charity shops after I dragged myself out and about this morning

Head Gardener

some great finds at the garage sales over the weekend, along with a complete run of early albums by The Who,
LP's £2 - 7" 50p

DrunkCountry

Went a bit mad yesterday in a couple of local charity shops & secondhand stores. Nothing spectacular but some nice finds.

Near mint. £4:

Love this record. The shop's had a big blow up of this cover on their wall, in amongst a huge collage of album covers, for as long as I can remember & this is the first time I've seen the record for sale there. £1:

I admit I know nothing about The Fleshtones & picked this up on the strength of the cover alone. Quite a decent record, all told. Flirts heavily with rockabilly & monster worship, with a plodding psychedlica & a sneery vocal that every now & then briefly makes them sound a little Talking Heads. £1:

Couldn't resist this. Only £1 & the vinyl's perfect (cover's a big scuffed to buggery).  I can't really imagine being in an audience watching someone do this for nearly 2 hours, or however long the gig was. Great piece, though. Every 1980s' vision of the future movie soundtrack in one:

There was a nice run of Roxy Music in one store. All £1 a pop, none in particularly great condition, but the vinyl plays well on each. I've been getting back into Roxy Music through the vinyl, which makes the overall output make a bit more sense for me:

I think this is a re-issue, or might be the European release, but haven't bothered to check. Doesn't really matter, though. I like the theatrics on this album. The Beatlesque variety hall ragtime Joanna stuff is amped up here & it's a nice playful album. I always see this as the 'pop' version of Harper's Folkjokeopus. £1:

A Full Head of Steam - label compilation ft. Marc Almond, Diesel Park West, Syndicate, The Neighbourhood, Goodbye Mr MacKenzie, Zeke Manyika, Wild Weekend, Bliss, New Model Army, & Crazyhead. Curious little sampler.  £1:

OK, sure, yeh, I know. But nearly every girlfriend I had around this time was a massive All About Eve fan & I ended up listening to far more of them than I would have ever chosen to myself. Even saw them in concert 3 times. As a result, I like more songs than I don't. It's produced to fuck, this album, one of the problems I have a with this entire genre/period, but the melodies on some tracks are solid. If all wispy wood elf floral gothic patchouli smelling. 50p:

The House Of Love - Destroy The Heart Solid tune, if a little drowning in itself production-wise. £2:

The whispery bit he does in Beatles & The Stones almost ruins a great earworm of a tune. Nice to be abel to find a normal version of this as so far, over the years, all I've found in charity shops & secondhand stores is the remix version. £2:

Filling some gaps in the once owned but inexplicably sold as a job lot in the late '90s pile £1 each:

I loved Prince's 12" releases, esp. the b-sides, from the Around The World In A Day & Parade period.

&, finally, because it was there (for 50p):

There are a couple of things I left behind, like The Singing Detective soundtrack album & John Arlott Talks Cricket, but will go & get them in the next week (if they're still there).

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 12, 2014, 01:02:35 PM
some great finds at the garage sales over the weekend, along with a complete run of early albums by The Who,
LP's £2 - 7" 50p

Original? How much did you pay? Bedazzled OST used to go for £120 in Intoxica and that was ten years ago. Well done, sir!

Head Gardener

QuoteOriginal? How much did you pay?

2 quid and yes it's an original red label Decca - result! but despite it's value
I won't be parting with it as I have an ongoing vinyl collection of Pete & Dud

Panbaams

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 14, 2014, 03:10:36 PM
Original? How much did you pay? Bedazzled OST used to go for £120 in Intoxica and that was ten years ago. Well done, sir!

Just looked on Ebay, you can add another 100 quid to that. Well played, HG!

I wonder how much the bootleg that came out about 15 years ago is worth ...

Head Gardener

midweek finds

dodgy old acetate from Ivor Raymonde who actually wrote and did the whistling on the hit 'I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman'

dodgy old motor help

not so dodgy duo EP from '66

early 60's French EP

grumpy Red Indian band XIT make record called The End and don't seem to happy about it...

DrunkCountry

Your town appears to have a much better class of charity shop donator than mine.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: DrunkCountry on May 15, 2014, 03:27:32 PM
Your town appears to have a much better class of charity shop donator than mine.

Yeah. I'm not accusing HG of being a liar or anything but I struggle to find anything other then The Sound of Music, brass bands and Paul Young LPs in any charity shop or car boot sale I visit.

Head Gardener

haha, hey I get up at 6am at weekends for the boots and normally do 3 or 4 each Sat/Sun
and I am not always working during the week as I am self employed so while most folk are
at work I am cleaning out the shops, and there are 25+ charity shops in my town!

DrunkCountry

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 15, 2014, 04:05:54 PM
Yeah. I'm not accusing HG of being a liar or anything but I struggle to find anything other then The Sound of Music, brass bands and Paul Young LPs in any charity shop or car boot sale I visit.

There are enough Max Boyce albums in the charity shops of Cardiff to fund a war effort, or something.

Head Gardener

a few Tuesday 7" finds

this is a strange one, with the flip side replacing replacing the lyrics of the song Xanadu with Supertype!
written by Jeff Lynne for squillions of Euros in 1982

dubious 6 track EP from a Suffolk based band released in 1981

nice Hugo demo

I have no idea about this, any help appreciated!

looked promising in the box (it was 20p) but turns out to be pretty rubbish

a grim tale from The Barley Corn lads

Quote from: Panbaams on May 14, 2014, 07:01:54 PM
Just looked on Ebay, you can add another 100 quid to that. Well played, HG!

I wonder how much the bootleg that came out about 15 years ago is worth ...

Those are unsold listings. Sold bidding for it have sold for £80-100. Still, amazing find. I'd never expect that to be worth so much.

DrunkCountry

10min wander around 2 charity shops on Monday threw these up. All were 20p each.

Jimi Hendrix - Birth Of Success

w/live recordings of Curtis Knight & the Squires & Hendrix, 1973 budget reissue of 1970's "I'm A Man - Live"

The vinyl is riddled with surface marks but no scratches or jumps. The pop & hiss gives these recordings a really lovely bootleg quality & makes it sound ancient. The cover is knackered & had to be extensively repaired (this is the backside, just so you can see the tracklisting).

Madness - Absolutely

Never actually owned a Madness record before, but I do like their early stuff a lot. Who doesn't?

Battered to shit cover, that needed gluing as the cover had completely fallen apart at the seams. The original printed inner sleeve is near perfect, however, which is odd given the overall state of the record. The vinyl needs a blwdy good clean as first play revealed a lot of sticks & jumps due to embedded crap on both sides.

Young Love / Too Young 7"

A side from the MFP album "Smash Hits '73"
B side from "Hot Hits" volume 14

I was drawn to this because of how odd it seemed. It's on Music For Pleasure's Surprise! Surprise! sub-label & is ostensibly a children's record (as evidenced by the 'colour this drawing with crayons or paints!' invitation, on the backside of the cover, below what are the same 2 characters but in a black & white line drawing), which overall makes this a pretty creepy endeavour.

The Walker Bros. - Make It Easy On Yourself

Nice vinyl, plays perfect.

Head Gardener

found some nice vinyl this morning

one of a set of five apparently, the others include Edith Sitwell with Cecil Beaton

daft 12" from 1978 but check that wax!

Buelligan

Found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsgj0rFUOC4

At a vide grenier yesterday, which was nice.

Head Gardener

recent car boot/charity shop LP finds

picked up 2 of these in a series of god knows how many, recorded in Vitaphonic Stereo in 1962

ahh I remember Jack (the lad) he was  Artful Dodger in Oliver,
he's brave to take on The Beatles and The Small Faces on his debut LP

in 1969 the best way to flog LP's of dodgy cover versions was of course
to have the ladies showing their lovely knickers. The man responsible refuses
to show his pants but at least he's left some deck-chairs out for the ladies, nice.

a suprising find this week, never seen another copy in all my years,
it features music by John Barry on it, but I was shocked to see no songs
about red double decker buses, tsk...

excellent double album of early songs by old rockers - released in 1974
with a great pic on the rear of the sleeve.

the psyche intangible

lazyhour

the psyche intangible

The Plaid album looks like a child's been at it with a grinder and its shitty arse. Also when I went to give them a run on a needle last night, my fucking amp blew. So that's that for now.

Head Gardener

some fine finds at the boots yesterday, a lot of Blues & Folk LP's and some weird oddities, like this...

released in 1975 there is more than a shade of Python & The Holy Grail on some tracks
listen here : http://www.mediafire.com/listen/0fcsms7gg07v0s6/Company_Of_Knights.mp3

10" EP from 1958 shame about the tape around the edges but the vinyl is sweet

the pick of a run of Marble Arch re-issues

Coventry based singer/songwriter Folk from 1971

just had to pick this 7" up, but what a shame it's utter shite!

got those MFP budget issue Blues

a gentle Acid Folky duo LP from 1971 on Trailer. the tree is sparing the lady's width, a bit

I had never come across this before, also released on Trailer Records in 1970
the rear of the sleeve below, there is an excellent version of Alison Gross on side 1

holyzombiejesus

There's a good piece about that Toni Arthur album in Rob Young's about folk and psych-y stuff, Electric Eden.

the psyche intangible

Nobody cares but for the record this is the new amp...

Head Gardener

how timely to find this LP today, the soldier front left actually looks a bit like my grandad,
but he only killed folk in Burma and North Africa