Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:47:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Sunday's car boot finds

excellent use of paper company sleeve for a band who probably got mistaken for Slade more than they liked

his debut release - a hand stamped 12" promo

don't remember this show at all

Max offers good advice on pit safety bless him, so c'mon singalongwithmax!

Captain Mainwaring SINGS!

camp classic with instruction booklet

great FX LP from 1974

lazyhour

I have that Midweek theme 7" and rather like it!

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 29, 2014, 03:39:06 PM

great FX LP from 1974

I have that one! I used to find it very handy as filler for compilation tapes. Some great sounds on there.

SpiderChrist

A quid. Aldershot, yesterday.

Bollocks. How the fuck do you get an image in here?

lazyhour

WHAT IS IT WHAT IS IT WHAT IS IT??

SpiderChrist

Peter Sellers, The Best of Sellers, 10" vinyl, VG nick.

lazyhour

Panbaams

Just bought the The Memory Kinda Lingers/Not in Front of the Audience double LP in my lunch hour. Needs a bit of gluing along the edges but otherwise the sleeve and vinyl are in excellent nick.

50p. 50p!

Head Gardener

picked up some unusual vinyl at the boots this morning

this was my best find today, a 78rpm of The Kings Speech from 1935

it came in a Scottish record shop sleeve too

and is beautifully etched on the other side

an hour long BBC lecture by Sir Bernard Lovell released in 1967

a pretty rotten and not at all scary poetry 7"

pretty funky A side despite slightly dodgy sleeve art, no date on sleeve or label + some odd quotes too!

first record I have ever come across related to darts, signed by the great Eric Bristow too

Mental Health Charity flexi from 1962

sweet green vinyl flexi from the 60's

I guess a £100 was a lorra money in them days

lazyhour

"A Young Lady From Glitch" - I'm 'avin' that!

Head Gardener

picked this 7" up yesterday

GB + mates, written and produced by the classic team of Trent & Hatch

the A team only make the B side

Head Gardener

found this great 60's record catalogue yesterday too with most the
charity shop staples of today, apart from that fab Mood Mosaic LP

DrunkCountry

eBay nabs over the past month.

TMBG - Flood — ebay £7 incl. p&p

REM - Reckoning — eBay £6.50 incl p&p

Faith No More - Introduce Yourself — eBay £6.20 incl. p&p

Liz Phair - Whip Smart — eBay £6.80 incl. p&p

James - One Man Clapping — eBay £9* incl. p&p

*This was listed as a Buy It Now for £14.00 + £4 p&p. I technically only paid £9 for it due to a paypal refund from a different auction that a seller had sent me a few months back, but had also told me to keep the item concerned.

Don_Preston

First heard this on the Armando Iannucci Shows on Radio One, featured as one of the worst songs ever made!

Head Gardener

QuoteFirst heard this on the Armando Iannucci Shows on Radio One, featured as one of the worst songs ever made!

I actually found 2 copies in the same box and so had to get them both,
it would have been cruel leaving one on it's own in the wild. It's available for trade?!

Neomod

A side question. Are these Crosley turntables any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crosley-Briefcase-Three-Speed-Portable-Turntable/dp/B00990Z20U

Or should I get an Audio Technica AT-LP60?

I have a shitload of old vinyl and nothing to play it on.  I've never been an audiophile so I just want something portable around the £100 mark.

NattyDread

I'm pretty sure the Crossley thing will be crap and I don't think the Audio Technica will be much better. They're mostly plastic and will come with a non-adjustable cartridge/stylus that's about as basic as possible. Might be that you don't need much more than that, but I wouldn't go forking out £130 on one (which isn't portable anyway). Another few quid and you could have something that'll make nice noises.
http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-13708-project-elemental-turntable.aspx

Neomod

Yeah, I should have done some more research. Apparently the Crosley's are garbage. The turntable you linked to looks horrible but the site could have what I'm looking for so ta.

Steven

Dooh, is that just him doing songs? Nobody seems to have any of his stand-up material, I don't know if I remember his act as I would probably have been too young when he was on TV but a lot of people seem to vaguely remember this guy Spook - Slither etc but the only thing available is that weird advert he did.

lazyhour

RIP Roy Jay.

"Roy Jay exposed himself on stage at a show and then stormed off stage in Jersey in the 80's because nobody laughed at his jokes, though he denied being drunk, and this spelt the end of his TV career. He was allegedly convicted for his behaviour."

"It seems long after his TV career, Roy toured in the US, supporting P.J. Proby in 2003 before ending up in Benidorm and opening a club. He continued his comedy exploits and died in an Alicante hospital, penniless, in December 2007. His funeral was paid for by a local businessman (a good friend of Roy) after his body laid unclaimed for 2 weeks following his death. The funeral was at Villajojosa Crematorium on January 22nd 2008."

:-(

Spook!

Steven

Quote from: lazyhour on August 21, 2014, 03:41:37 PM
"Roy Jay exposed himself on stage at a show and then stormed off stage in Jersey in the 80's because nobody laughed at his jokes, though he denied being drunk, and this spelt the end of his TV career. He was allegedly convicted for his behaviour."

"It seems long after his TV career, Roy toured in the US, supporting P.J. Proby in 2003 before ending up in Benidorm and opening a club.

Oh Roy.. if he was convicted for getting his nob out at least they didn't have to make him change clothes. Was his act always along with music? And he can't seem to decide what his accent is meant to be. Proby was another notorious alcoholic, had to drink for his stage fright so I've heard, that tour can't have been fun, of course there was his remarkable comeback at the Landsdowne, Blackpool.

Head Gardener

it's taken me a few years to track down the holy trio of Squeeze singles

the black promo/mispressed red/classic pink

Head Gardener

last weekends car boot finds

French EP by the girl band with a slightly unfortunate name but apparently
it was derived from the first letter of each girl's name (a bit like ABBA)

love this artwork (the record is rubbish btw) it was very popular in the early 70's
and it reminds me of old mags and the TV show Magpie, Noel plugs away inside the gate-fold

this sounds like great Library music but is in fact a Swiss jazz fusion band who released this LP in 1976

unusual and pretty scarce album released in the early 70's on Deroy & features
a track by 'Pop' Group which is short and more electric guitar wig-out than Pop

found in the same box was this old album by Ivor Cutler

also found together but in another box a nice pair of Marty Feldman albums

actual GG too much? luckily BA has that Glitter sound you need!

this was a nice find, with a cool label too I dimly remember a Hepworths
shop on the high street years ago, but guess they've all long gone now

DrunkCountry

You definitely have better car boot sales & charity shops near you. A really excellent Oxfam, with a whole second floor dedicated to vinyl, moved recently & lost most of their magnificent vinyl collection in the downsize. To be fair, they did spend a week before the move selling buy one record get one free. But, the move has meant a loss of the floor/space & the records now only occupy two shelf units.

Did manage to strike gold in a few secondhand stores, mind, handsomely adding to the '80s / '90s indie & Prince piles. Have also scored some beauts on eBay too, incl. a ropey but playable copy of Skin's Shame Humility Revenge for nowt.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Head Gardener on September 04, 2014, 12:57:53 PM
last weekends car boot finds

French EP by the girl band with a slightly unfortunate name but apparently
it was derived from the first letter of each girl's name (a bit like ABBA)

Some lovely items, particularly the Feldmans, but this is a lovely album to find. Fucking hell.

DrunkCountry

A handful of things I've picked up recently & very cheaply at boot sales, secondhand & charity shops & ebay. In a couple of s/h shops I was lucky enough to arrive as each were starting to price up collections of '80s & '90s indie & a magnificent amount of Prince 12"s they'd just bought.

Amazingly, I bought Sit Down, Come Home & YAHO back from the same shop I sold them to in the mid-late '90s. I found these in 2 plastic wall displays, tucked behind a stack of records & CDs that had been placed in front of & obscuring them over the years, where they had been put up for display/sale the day I sold them. I could confirm they were mine as they had my original purchase dates written in pencil in my handwriting inside the covers, which was something I did back in the '90s when I was cataloguing my then substantial (pre-sell off) collection. I got a mighty discount as a result.

lazyhour

Coo, some lovely stuff in there! What was the grand £££ total?

DrunkCountry

Overall, about £50 for that lot. I did buy a load more on top of that, too, mostly for £1 ea.

lazyhour