Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:56:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

This morning in a charity shop I scored a Lebanon-issued 45 of The Beatles' Ob-La-Di in excellent condition for 50p. I can't yet find it online anywhere, which is always exciting!

Edit: Found it. Coo, interesting: "Vinyl records pressed in Lebanon are extremely rare and very hard to find items in any condition, produced for a few years in the late 1960's until forced to stop by the onset of civil war in 1975. All the international artists and bands were popular in Lebanon, and only a few copies survived the last thirty years in very good condition, including limited editions of multi-colored 7" singles and unique white label samples for radio and club DJs."

Sadly my 7" is without the original sleeve. Still a happy find!

Jawaka

Pigface came from a charity shop, rest were carboot on weekend. It's been a while since I've picked up anything interesting..

Quote from: lazyhour on September 08, 2014, 12:33:58 PM
This morning in a charity shop I scored a Lebanon-issued 45 of The Beatles' Ob-La-Di in excellent condition for 50p. I can't yet find it online anywhere, which is always exciting!

Stick that on eBay I reckon. Buy It Now of... £10,000? Let people make offers too though.

Note: A Lebanese Hey Jude with the sleeve went for £68 recently. Still, chance your arm with a ridiculous Buy It Now.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: Jawaka on September 09, 2014, 12:52:05 PM
Pigface came from a charity shop, rest were carboot on weekend. It's been a while since I've picked up anything interesting..

Nice haul, esp. the Sex Pistols set.

The one Prince LP I don't own is Graffiti Bridge, mainly because I didn't think much of it when it came out & the film is arse.

lazyhour

Vinyl only VG+ though, fuck that shit. Mine's probably EX+. Minting it, mate.

DrunkCountry

Some recent finds. Almost all from charity shops with a couple of eBay bargains.

£1. Shelleyan Orphan - Helleborine

£1. BBC 1922 - 1972 Double vinyl

A sort of highlights package from 50yrs of radio broadcasts by the BBC (1922-1972) with a narrator/voice over throughout. Fascinating & begging to be ripped & re-used out of context

£1. The Beatles Concerto I'm not quite sure what role George Martin plays in the making of this record, other than being in a photograph with all the key players listed in the album credits (GM's name does not appear) & writing an endorsement blurb on the back cover. Reinforces the Big Train/Eldon treatment of the man & his myth-making.

£2. Big Time Sensuality 12".

Buelligan

I got

all pristine at a vide grenier today.  Bought the lot for 4.50€, nice.

Head Gardener

most of these I picked up for 50p a pop at a local auction last weekend

the band who became Love Sculpture who then became Rockpile - all are Dave Edmunds,
note Tim Rose mis-spelt credit

French imported Russian folk 8" acetate

released in 1969 to celebrate the investiture of Charles Phillip Arthur George Mountbatten-Windsor
as the Prince of Wales  - sung by Meic Stevens

various Folk LP from 1977

I had to get this as a companion to my Teach Yourself Yorkshire album

tatty sleeve but great tunes

Jazz drum heavy late night drink 7" released in conjunction with Radio Luxembourg

2 x LP - loving awareness is free, is free, is free...

2 x LP of music for Dungeons & Dragons

WWII 2 x LP with all the big hits but it bombed in the charts

Jawaka

Quote from: DrunkCountry on September 09, 2014, 02:20:15 PM
Nice haul, esp. the Sex Pistols set.

The one Prince LP I don't own is Graffiti Bridge, mainly because I didn't think much of it when it came out & the film is arse.

Yeah thanks, I'm gradually getting all the prince ones. I need to put my stuff in order so I know which ones I'm missing. Glad I got Never Mind The Bollocks, years and years ago I saw it and didn't even enquire how much it was, regretted ever since.

Stuff from today, 25p each.

(The Last of Us - The Album)

Didn't realise until I got home that it's mostly Tangerine Dream.

I've only ever seen the other cover, so got it because it was unusual.

No explanation needed.

Pissing christ, what is going on with Tom Cruise's mouth on that cover?

Head Gardener

my mum came up trumps on Sunday, she found a box of 45's
and asked the guy how much they were and he said 20p each.
Not knowing what was what but realising they "looked nice"
she offered him £2 the lot and the deal was done, there were loads more too!

DrunkCountry

A handful from the pile of albums & 12"s picked up from charity shops & ebay, for (as my mate would say) nonepence, over the past few weeks.

[nb]cover damaged by the charity shop assistant pulling off their barcode sticker[/nb]

SpiderChrist

Most pleased to pick up Sinatra at the Sands for 2 quid and Stevie's Talking Book for a quid on Friday...

Still can't figure out how to embed pictures. Daft cunt.

Head Gardener

on first glance I assumed this was related to Princess Diana (it's not) and that it was
the lovely Nicole Kidman on the cover (it isn't) however that is Patsy Kensit in the small pic

the A side is a song featuring Mike Sammes singing about the joys of paint,
I'd imagine it would be either a bright purple or garish lime as it was 1972

I've never come across this before, the 1 track per side issue of Kate's On Stage 2 x 7" promo - used in jukeboxes

great Blue Horizon double album of bluesy tunes, shame about the tape edge wear

issued on blue label Argo Records in 1960 this is a tough listen

this was one of a number of stage albums in the same box, it was curious as
it's a promo copy with plain labels and apart from being a book and a 1923 movie
it seems there is little else out there about this - Denis Norden (92) is still going though

recorded at The Whitehall Theatre in 1966

impressive line-up on stage paying tribute to T.S. Eliot who had died earlier in 1965

US album released in 1977 signed on the rear by the Mikron Theatre Company who are still going!

great mid 70's compilation of the Harvest back catalogue

DrunkCountry

Had some sweet finds over the past month+ at a couple of local car boot sales & from the belly of my favourite local secondhand record shop. The owner recently had a bit of a tidy up, such as was possible given the magnitude of his stockalypse, & uneartherd piles of superb decades old/forgotten stock purchases.  Also, after decades of going to this place, it was only a few weeks ago that it occured to me I could ask the owner to put stuff to one side for me. Up until then it had never crossed my mind that I could reserve stuff, rather than 'sportingly' leaving it to chance & the possibility of another punter coming in & spotting something before I returned.

Bryan Ferry - These Foolish Things 20p Car Boot. Cover = knackered, needed re-gluing & a thorough clean (some kind of sticky black molasses type shit all over it); vinyl was filthy & needed a deep clean but eventually came up rather spiffing & skip free. There's a small but pronounced heat warp on edge/section of first track (both sides, obvs), which amazingly doesn't affect play.

Spoltlight on Ray Charles - 50p Car Boot. 1962 release. Near immaculate solid cardboard cover, still in clingfilm; vinyl = mint, looks like it has never been played.

Best of The Beach Boys Vol 2. 25p Car Boot. 1965. Cover = bit knackered/stained with red dye/wine across back/front top corner & edge sellotape, etc.; vinyl = seen better days but plays marvelously with a not too loud crackle.

The Cotton Club - 50p Car Boot. Early '80s compilation of 78rpm transfers of Cotton Club recordings from '20s & '30s. Immaculate condition. Originally owned by the Mid Glamorgan County Libraries & it was in the library protective sleeve which included the original library stamp cards (last loaned 25th May 1996).

Solid Gold Soul - 75p Car Boot. 1966 mono Atlantic Records compilation. Cover = not bad at all, except for the sellotaped edges; vinyl = seen better days but plays with very minimal pops/clicks & one jump at the very end of a fade out of one track. This is a fantastic compilation, esp. the Joe Tex tracks.

Joni Mitchell - Ladies Of The Canyon 50p Car Boot. Cover = not bad if a bit handled-stained (I love the added blank Audio Magazine Level Indicator sticker); vinyl = needed a super industrial clean as the grooves were thick with some sticky black residue + a bit of warping on edge but cleaned up it plays very nicely.

Songs Of Leonard Cohen - £1 Car Boot.  I think this is a UK first press — all info on cover/labels/matrix/runout corresponds, but the cover doesn't look right.  Cover = not bad, needed some re-gluing. A bit loved but overall far better than some 1990s records I've got. Vinyl = good to very good. One skip on side 2, but I think that might disappear with a proper clean.

Gong - Angel's Egg £4 secondhand. Original gatefold, first press; cover = excellent/near mint; vinyl = excellent (5 pops on side one just as one track fades out).

Indigo Girls - Nomads Indians Saints £2 secondhand. Cover/inner = not bad at all; vinyl = excellent

REM - Document £4 secondhand. UK first press. Cover/inner/vinyl = mint. Got this to replace a really ratty copy I've had for decades.

Looper - Up A Tree £2.50 secondhand. Cover = slight poke through on top edge, apart from that it's pretty excellent; vinyl = excellent, also.

The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? £3.50 secondhand. First press/original Alien8 Recordings label. Cover/inner/vinyl = Mint. Very nice find.

JAMS/KLF - Chill Out bootleg, £4 secondhand. Cover/vinyl = mint. It isn't the well known 'French' bootleg that was released sometime in the late '90s or early 2000's, which shares the reversed cover design but has very specific (to that release/copy) typos in the song titles & silent gaps between each 'track'. Have no idea where or when my version was released - it *might* be the other well known bootleg, possibly produced/'released' in the Netherlands?, which was released after the 'French' version, but I don't have any details of it to compare.

lazyhour

Nice find on the Unicorns front!

If that Gong LP has b&w Virgin labels it's worth a fair chunk o' change.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: lazyhour on October 09, 2014, 03:24:48 PM
Nice find on the Unicorns front!

If that Gong LP has b&w Virgin labels it's worth a fair chunk o' change.

'fraid not - it's the red dragon/twins label.

Jawaka

Charity shop the other day -

Never heard of them, wasn't sure if it was an early pressing with a unique sleeve or if someone had made a sleeve for an album that was missing one. (According to Wikipedia it is of a limited run and would have came with random inserts, this one was without)

J Mascis on drums.. Haven't listened to it yet.

Carboot today -

Well pleased

Head Gardener

I went to an auction in town yesterday as there were no car boots, they had literally thousands
of albums all piled up at £1 each. It was first come first served, there were some I got just coz
they looked interesting by the sleeves but I came away very happy (there were loads more too
but these are the pick of the lot)

DrunkCountry

Jawaka

Quote from: DrunkCountry on October 13, 2014, 02:43:54 PM
Fuck me. Nice one.

Yeah I know right, condition ain't bad either, the inlay was included but one of the corners was folded over at some point. The one I picked it up in usually has nothing of interest, in fact the last thing I picked up from there was Huey Lewis & The News - Sports a long time ago, I may have got Blood On The Tracks from there too.. But yeah, neither are that exciting.

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 13, 2014, 10:49:56 AM
I went to an auction in town yesterday as there were no car boots, they had literally thousands
of albums all piled up at £1 each. It was first come first served, there were some I got just coz
they looked interesting by the sleeves but I came away very happy (there were loads more too
but these are the pick of the lot)

Nice, is the Who one still as sought after as it used to be? - I can't tell if that says stereo or mono in the corner. Which pressing of In the Court of the Crimson King is it?

newbridge

Head Gardener

QuoteNice, is the Who one still as sought after as it used to be? - I can't tell if that says stereo or mono in the corner. Which pressing of In the Court of the Crimson King is it?

all these Brunswick pressings were mono and the KC is a '77 Polydor issue, but still both nice

Jawaka

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 14, 2014, 07:39:22 AM
all these Brunswick pressings were mono and the KC is a '77 Polydor issue, but still both nice

Well still alright for a quid! Ah thought as much about Brunswick but wasn't 100%, I picked up the virgin repress at some point thinking it was the valuable one, bit disappointed but it didn't cost much and was in great condition.

DrunkCountry

Handful more from the past month's finds.

£4 secondhand. Stereo release.

£3 secondhand

25p charity shop

£2 secondhand

£1 secondhand

£3 secondhand

£4 secondhand

99p secondhand

£4 secondhand. SPACE by SPACE. Bootleg.

Panbaams

Some Beatlesy odds and sods from the second-hand place I go to in my lunch hour every now and then: an Irish "A Hard Day's Night", an American "Give Peace a Chance" and an American late 70s Capitol reissue of "Imagine". 50p each.

You'll have to imagine what they look like, I'm afraid.

Head Gardener

some sweet finds at the recycling depot this morning, on top of a nice fish tank
ornament and an old newspaper from 1912. An odd mix of Jamaican Calypso,
Jazz Blues + an unusual 78rpm - all 50p each!

Jamaican issue released on Dynamic in 1976

this could be early 70's the track Rope was a single taken from it

Blues Jazz in Quad from 1973 in a beautiful gate-fold sleeve

great sleeve for this Jazz Fusion LP from 1977 

with a bit of research I discovered this dates from around 1944

a hip vicar talks about the history of Jazz from 1926 to 1952

Buelligan

Got Al Di Meola's Elegant Gypsy at a vide grenier today for1€, which was nice.

What charity shops are you cunts going to where you can pick up In The Court of the Crimson King for £1? Nothing but 80s landfill in all of mine, if they're even still stocking vinyl.