Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:04:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Quote from: The Region Legion on October 28, 2014, 08:14:49 AM
What charity shops are you cunts going to where you can pick up In The Court of the Crimson King for £1? Nothing but 80s landfill in all of mine, if they're even still stocking vinyl.

I found KC & The Who etc in an auction, they knock them out at £1 a pop on a  first come first served
basis so its not strictly an auction. I wandered round some charity shops in Milton Keynes yesterday
& bought really well too so stuff is out there - if you go hoping to find good vinyl at weekends forget it
as they are cleaned out by cunts like me mid-week

DrunkCountry

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 28, 2014, 08:24:11 AM
if you go hoping to find good vinyl at weekends forget it as they are cleaned out by cunts like me mid-week

This is as close to a tactic as it gets, Region.

DrunkCountry

More from the pile of stuff I dug up in a handful of charity & secondhand places in Cardiff + a couple of eBay bargains from the past month or so.

20p charity shop - 10th gen (or thereabouts) MFP re-press but colour inner & vinyl is in lovely condition. Also had the Sweet 16 NYE Concert & Party photo-montage / message to Brian insert from the LOVE YOU LP.

20p charity shop - the cover is fucked, but the inner & vinyl are again in lovely condition.

20p charity shop - cover is NM, inner & vinyl = mint. Not their best record, imo, by a long distance but it has some charm.

£1 charity shop - cover's a bit handled-stained, but the inner & vinyl are (again) in lovely condition.

£2 secondhand - cover is knackered but the inner & vinyl have been looked after very well & are in superb condition.

£2 secondhand - cover has a few creases  but inner + vinyl = mint. Not the original release, obvs. This is a completist's buy as I already own the original version.

£1 secondhand - Prince's America / Girl 12"; stonking condition throughout

50p charity shop

25p charity shop

£1.99 secondhand - apart from a slight poke through on the top edge this is mint. original release/press.

25p charity shop

2 for £1.50 (+ £1.50 p&p) eBay; blue & red vinyl sealed 7"s

£1.99 charity shop - cover's a bit grubby but inner & vinyl's in great nick.

Head Gardener

picked up these three excellent song sheets in a charity shop earlier today, the lady said they are quite old so wanted
a fiver for them and that she might have more out the back and to come back on Monday 

Head Gardener

some odd bits I found at the re-cycle depot yesterday, 7" are 50p + LP's a £1

best find of the day was this beautiful 12" single by Macedonian group Anastasia

another nice find was the original UK pressing of this album, the track-listing says it all really

featuring a track called Morrissey and The Russian Sailor sadly not about the man himself

late 60's UK budget issue of the 1959 original in a totally different sleeve

if your grandad was from Norfolk and recorded a folk LP it would probably have sounded like this

the pick of the singles, there were plenty more bird sounds 7"s released in this series by the narrator, but this is the 1st one

a few nice European Folk EP's were lurking amongst the Joe Loss & Mantovani LP's

I thought this might be a comedy record, alas it is just a dry read through by the author of Parkinson's Law

an upbeat and typically silly tune sung with great enthusiasm by Spike, with his take on Silent Night on the flip

Roy*Mallard

Ha! I love that Spike song. Good find.

DrunkCountry

Been digging out some more records from the bought but not cleaned/listened to yet pile. All very, very cheaply purchased secondhand.

promo copy of this ltd. edition version of the infected album.

Original label / first press. Great find. Probably been starting at it in the same shop for a number if years without twigging what it was.

PaulTMA

Got these in the last week, all good nick and £2.99 each:

I got the Mental As Anything debut mainly for the excellence that is 'The Nips Are Getting Bigger'.  Aside for their Hit, haven't heard anything else by them.

Plus a few more:
Carl Wilson's rubbish solo debut I bought for the sake of it - two quid
Bob Dylan's Blonde On Blonde - not great condition and I don't particularly care for him, but - a quid
Sheila E - S/T (one of the 'Prince ones') - 50p

lazyhour

I do love this thread.

A few nice 50p charity shop finds today. All at least EX. Not my photos, obvs.

^ Francis Lai bewbs OST

^ Lesser Francis Lais bewbs OST

^ Nice mono Brubeck comp, circa early 60s

^ Mono 1968 comp with a few crackers on it, and some toss

^ The Seeg

^ 80s issue of 1959 Kid Ory concert

^ Easy jazzy fluff from the Jay Norman Quintet

^ Some good stuff on the Platoon soundtrack

^ Crap album, but it does contain Let 'Em In and Silly Love Songs

And a few other odds and ends, including a weird South African issue of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" that feels more like a bootleg than an official release, and a lovely US 12" of Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer c/w We Are Family. I also bought sachets of both butterscotch AND strawberry Angel Delight.

Head Gardener

I guess it's a sign that the local Polish community in town are culling their collections now
as I am finding a lot more European vinyl in the charity shops. I bumped into a guy on his way
back from a shop this morning clutching a pile of weird Polish folk and psych albums (as well as a copy
of This is Magic Mixture!) which he had just found in the local Red Cross, by the time I got there it
was only 7"s left but there are more LP's going out on Thursday apparently. Among these mostly mid 60's
singles were some original Jerry Lee Lewis and Jackie Wilson discs, but these were the more unusual finds.

4 track EP issued by Polish Airways in the 60's, hear here - http://youtu.be/nLucf3yC_qk

Irena Santor is a huge star in Poland, these were her first singles

Bogdan Lazuka EP

Tadeusz Chyla EP

postcard flexi from 1973 with it's original mailer

Russian cruise liner souvenir from 1980

also in the same box was this Argo Records catalogue from 1968
sadly no pictures inside but some rare items listed including Michael Garrick albums

PaulTMA

The front cover's a bit scratched at the top left there, but otherwise I'm chuffed I found Climate Of Hunter for five quid the other day.

Head Gardener

I picked up 3 x 'how to stop smoking' LP's this morning and as I'm posting them here I will add a few other
health related albums as they go alongside them quite nicely, but I have had these heart records for yonks.
This first one is really good (especially side 2) and it also has some sleeve notes which wouldn't get published today!

released on Contour Records in 1972

seems there was a run of these LP's but this is the first I've seen of them, Medi-Disc Records 1970

this is the second copy I have of this however this one is signed by the Enoch Powell lookalike

I've had this since the 80's but it's one of my rarer albums and a double too, released in 1968

issued in the days when drug companies gave you an LP along with your heart medicine,
I am assuming they don't do that anymore nowadays?

a good way to look after your heart might be to listen to Romark or cut down on the pies

alternatively do it yourself with Mindpower Records

side 2 is like DSOTM era Floyd without the music

NattyDread

I really miss my weekly trawl through the charities and record shops. Since moving from the city, I don't get much chance to rummage and tend to just buy recent stuff online.
A nearby junk shop came up trumps today though. Found these in a pile of sound effects records (which once upon a time I would've picked up - never to play).
All stone cold mint and still shiny. £7 for all 3.

lazyhour

Head Gardener

have picked up some nice bits + bobs this week, a run of Van Morrison
and Roy Harper albums along with these records, it helped that 2 of my
regular ladies in the charity shops have been keeping stuff by for me, so I bless them!

best find of the week was this very odd album of Communist Party folk songs
issued in 1979 on a red label of course, gotta love those song titles!

also in the same box was this 1970 album by the ex Monkee man

a nice pair of early 70's issues by the great Brazillian guitarist

they may wear cheesy suits their music is pretty good, especially 'Jam If You Jamming'

I have a yellow vinyl copy of this LP but it's disappeared somewhere...
I'll have to keep this one as it's blue, I don't think it comes in any other colour

I took a chance on this and am glad I did as it's got a lovely gentle Jazz vibe
to it and it came with a sheet music insert - a private pressing 12" from 1988

I paid £1.50 for this (more than I usually do, haha) I assume it's a promo vinyl issue for one of the NME
cassettes they issued in the 80's - several of which I still keep despite not owning a tape deck for over 20 years.

DrunkCountry

Bunch of stuff from boot sales, 2ndhand & charity shops from past month or so.

50p Car Boot Sale; Great record, fantastic condition. Bought from a guy as he was packing up; he originally listed this (& the others I got from him) for a lot more than he sold it to me.

50p Car Boot Sale; Courage Best Bitter Chas & Dave internal corporate promo EP - contains all the songs C&D did for the Courage Best commercials.

50p Car Boot Sale; Cover's wrecked, but inner & vinyl are pretty decent (bit crackly in places & has a slight warp on one edge, but overall very passable).

50p Car Boot Sale

50p Car Boot Sale; Fantastic/bonkers honky tonk piano medleys. Excellent condition all round.

50p Car Boot Sale; Double LP. Cover's original paper thin style & very moisture floppy, but the vinyl's excellent. Lovely orchestral & choral renditions of popular songs from the time (1960).

50p Car Boot Sale; Great condition all round (cover's a bit love-scuffed on the edges) & the vinyl is very clean & free from too many pops or clicks. I'd never heard this record prior to getting this.

50p Car Boot Sale; I have no idea who the signature is on the front, but inside the cover I found a flyer for a Captain Beaky stage show so I'm guessing it might be someone from that. Record's in great nick.

50p Car Boot Sale; Great little album all told. Cover's a bit moisture softened but the inner & vinyl are in top nick.

£1 car boot sale, original European press; the gatefold jacket (esp. the inside) has suffered from a good few years of joint rolling & beer spills + someone hacking away at the original price sticker on the front. It's a bit battered, all told. Vinyl's in need of a deep deep clean & has an ice rink top coat of surface scratches. First few tracks on first 2 sides crackle like a softwood fire, but the remainder are in pretty decent condition & generally quiet/clean.

£1.99 Charity shop; The House Of Love / A Spy In The House Of Love. Stop-gap / contractual obligation compilation aside, this is a top record.

50p Charity shop

£1 Charity shop

£1 each, secondhand. Part of a Lush cache I stumbled across about a month ago &, by my reckoning, the person either had no clue what they were selling or didn't care. Hence the ticket price.

£1 secondhand. Very nice condition.

£5 secondhand; NM first UK press

£5 secondhand; NM UK first press

NattyDread

A very occassional 'record fair' came to these parts today (well, an hour away) so I thought I'd take the chance to offload some doublers and shite and maybe get a few bits that I'd actually play. Did alright considering the bloke (yep, just one bloke and one table of vinyl at this 'fair') didn't bring the Funk, or for that matter the Soul, Reggae or Jazz. Mostly Mojo rock all the way.
Mustn't grumble at these though. Re-ish on the Can (and MBV I think).

lazyhour

How much how much how much?

NattyDread

Quote from: lazyhour on November 23, 2014, 12:17:09 AM
How much how much how much?
No massive bargains, but when you're trading stuff it doesn't seem to count as money. £40 all in - Portishead - £17, Can - £13, MBV - £10 (bootleg I think). If it wasn't for trade credit I'd probably have left the Portishead but I'm glad I didn't. Thought I'd had my fill of them, but it's superb.

Not bad for a bunch of crusty shite that I never listened to (late floyd).

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

picked up this lovely 10" 78rpm earlier today and can find nothing about it anywhere, anyone know more?
Ron Grainer is of course the chap who went on to do the themes to The Prisoner, Dr. Who etc.

Head Gardener

have posted scans of this to the Ron Grainer appreciation page on Facebook
and will post a link to hear it here in the next day or so, it's quite nice to find
something Google knows nothing about for a change. Interestingly 'Don't Cry Little Doll'
on the B side was an unsuccessful UK contender for the Eurovision Song Contest final in 1957

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

OK so it's not vinyl but I won a big pile of old music, theatre and film programmes at the auction yesterday
and along with the ones for Des O'Connor, Holiday On Ice, Cannon & Ball etc, were several
of these for the once very popular Black & White Minstrel Show
WTF?!

DrunkCountry

Some charity shop finds & some bizarre coincidences from the past couple of weeks.

20p charity shop; bit of surface crackle here & there pre-clean. Sleeve's yellowed a bit with age & has ringwear on the reverse, but all in all a decent example.

20p charity shop

20p charity shop

20p charity shop; knackered front sleeve from sticker removal, vinyl's crackly & needs a serious clean but overall this is an excellent record.

20p charity shop; don't think I've ever owned a Vangelis record before. CoF might be the cliche choice, but it is still a great soundtrack. Vinyl is in perfect nick, hardly played by the looks of it.

£2.50 (different) charity shop; sleeve's NM, inner has a small edge split, vinyl = the bollocks. Speaking with the bloke behind the counter, who had no idea who Throwing Muses are, it seems I missed a whole pile of '80s & '90s records, brought in by a relative of someone who recently died, by about 3days. This & the PIL LP[nb]plus the Kristin Hersh debut solo Hips & Makers, which I've yet to listen to/clean etc.[/nb] were pretty much the only things left from it. It was only a few weeks ago that I was discussing TM & their back catalog / proposed re-releases with the label owner who put out TM's last LP. About a week after that conversation I found this.

£2.50 charity shop - same place as I found Hunkpapa; again, it was maybe a week ago I was extolling the virtues of this record (+ PIL's ALBUM & HAPPY?), as part of a solid experimental pop trilogy by PIL, to a young broadcaster friend. Then, on Monday last, I spotted it alongside the Throwing Muses LP Hunkpapa from the same charity donation. The guy behind the counter said he hadn't realised it was 'Johnny Rotten & The Sex Pistols' when we were talking about it. He'd never heard of PIL & didn't recognise JL on the cover. Sleeve = mint, inner = stained with something that looks like nicotine splashes(?), vinyl = superb. Sweet & serendipitous find.

Based on these lovely coincidences of finding records shortly after I mention/recommend them to people, I'd like to find a Trout Mask Replica first press next, please, Charity Gods.

Head Gardener

The B&WM get the scary puppet support they deserve

Head Gardener

just to let you know I will be live on BBC Radio Northampton at lunchtime
as they phoned me up needing to talk to a "record expert" about the recent
spike in vinyl sales. I've been asked to bring along some discs to talk about too.

Head Gardener

DrunkCountry

Some recent & some very recent finds. Bunch of stuff from a car boot sale this morning. A bloke I've been back to 5 times over the past year (& bought from each time) is replenishing his stock of vinyl way too quickly to be an original owner in my books. He's always on the same corner triple-sized pitch & generally sells antiquy tat that people seem to snap up. His records to begin with were a bit dog rough. They're now getting way better in quality & more & more up to date (well, within last 30yrs - as opposed to last 40-60yrs). He's got a lock-up full of it somewhere, I reckon. A few of them have masses of the same kind of item in on-site lock ups that they spend their whole adult lives selling off in car boot sales, apparently, according to a couple of the regulars. Anyway, was very pleased with what I came away with. Lots of stuff I'm interested in. Couple of secondhand buys here, too, from a recent steal of a bulk purchase.

£1 secondhand 1-sided DJ promo 12"

£1 secondhand

50p car boot sale promo 12"

50p car boot sale DJ promo 12" (Tee remixes)

50p car boot sale

20p each car boot sale; the vinyl for this & the other Japan 12"s are in superb nick - whoever owned them originally really did a good job of. Not a mark on any of them.

50p car boot sale; Wedding present - Corduroy 12", Albini produced

20p car boot sale; Thompson Twins debut album

20p each car boot sale

20p car boot sale

20p car boot sale

20p each car boot sale; not everyone's cuppa, but vinyl is in excellent condition & I'm a child of the '80s.

lazyhour

Some fab prices for some great stuff there - love that first Divine one. Top work!