Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:04:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

some KPM's are worth silly money, as always condition is all

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/search?q=kpm&so=p

Head Gardener

I didn't know where else to post these but found my old stash of Punk poster-mags tonight,
these all date from '77 to '78 and hung on my teenage walls - the older Punks among you may remember these!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: biniput on January 18, 2014, 11:42:41 PM
Just went ot an odd shop in town that sells all-sorts of shite and records as well. They had a box that looked just brought  in full of KPM, De-Wolf and other assorted incidental and background music. The condition of these looked very good to excellent. I got 1 for 2 quid so if i can get the lot for say 20-30 would they be worth it??? The plain green KPMs are there for a start.

Don't rub it in. Well done.

Head Gardener

chuffed to find some Rock n Roll 78's this morning, no bad for 50p a pop

various LP's, including some other Library albums but these 3 were the pick of the bunch

biniput

From what small research I have done it seems also the content (obviously) of the KPMs that decide price. Funk, jazz or the better known writers all get better price than "KPM irrelevant Greek shite number 21192".  The bloke who sells them doesn't know so much and has said in conversation that he uses Ebay for pricing and has accordingly  put the lot at £5 each which is great at times but cack in others. Bought for 45 and might go for 70+ I hope. Do I sell these 1 by 1 or in a lot????:

As all KPMs look the same here is the front of 1:

Apparently the person who brought them in has "loads more" and it's all from their grandad who worked "at the BBC". I asked who this could be but didn't get a name or anything. I hope to be in first when they come in and hope he still puts em out for a £5. There are quite a lot of different sound library firms and records were also from:  Music house, KPM, Chappell, Bruton music, BML music, Boosey and Hawkes and De wolfe. Which would you buy????

lazyhour

I'd mostly go for ones whose design looks 70s or 60s (as opposed to 80s), and ones that mention synthesizers are always worth a punt.

biniput

Funk, jazz, synth and Known writers seems to be a decent way of boiling it down.

Head Gardener

most Library albums after 1978 are not worth an awful lot, the Green KPM's can be good if they are Funky or Jazz
or Electronic music influenced but as there are so many a quick look on the Collectors Frenzy site will sort you

Kane Jones

Went to a pretty decent record fair today and picked up near-mint copies of Gil Scott-Heron's The Revolution Will Not Be Televised and Prince's The Black Album.  Would've picked up more if it wasn't for the fact that holding a record fair a week before payday in January is a fucking stupid thing to do. Gah.

NoSleep

Just acquired Total Exposure by the Poison Girls.

Not the transparent vinyl pressing, although that's probably a blessing. The vinyl is in near mint condition, which will be a vast upgrade to the scratchy and jumping mp3 version I found on a blog some time ago.

Head Gardener

bought a shitski load of Russian albums at an auction for £3 today!
I am so hooked on auctions at the moment as I have had some great
cheap buys, the last few weeks have been especially good for unusual stuff.
I rarely come across Russian vinyl but these are the nicest/rarest ones

and some nice Orson Welles albums I have not seen before, The War of The Worlds is a double UK pressing on Charisma

Head Gardener

did a record fair at Reading today and guess who turns up at my stall looking fuckin' fabulous!?

and he bought this on vinyl coz he liked the credit on the back
Public Image would like to thank absolutely nobody
and yes, he's really nice and I liked his coat!

he had also made specific requests to all sellers that he will not sign anything
grrrr

Head Gardener

nice 7" finds at the record fair yesterday - these were all in the same 50p box,
the old couple selling them didn't really have a clue what they had and ended up
selling all 8 boxes to a dealer for £30 but not before I'd had a good rummage!

this was my best find - a 4 track EP from 1970 it was the B side that caught my eye

I can't work out the country of origin, any advice appreciated.

7" cruise freebie with compliments of Captain Skiadis, as well as being free + single on your cruise you got a free single with your trip

the one with Ian Ogilvy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc-8991Q9jA

the B side first appeared on a Bruton library LP and was one of many library pieces used in 'The Sweeney'...

odds 'n' sods

track 2 is funny

Head Gardener

picked up a nice collection at the weekend, including a run of Bill Nelson fan club only 7"

DrunkCountry

Have had some excellent hauls recently. Today I picked up a pristine first pressing of The Who's Who Are You for £3 & a very well looked after copy of Not The Nine O'Clock News - Hedgehog Sandiwch BBC Album for £2.

23 Daves

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 21, 2014, 06:24:27 PM
most Library albums after 1978 are not worth an awful lot, the Green KPM's can be good if they are Funky or Jazz
or Electronic music influenced but as there are so many a quick look on the Collectors Frenzy site will sort you

I picked up the green KPM Reggae album for £14 a few years back and was absolutely delighted with that price, especially as I'd been looking out for it for a very long time. It features Dennis Bovell and a whole raft of eerie Bob Morgan compositions as well as the famous "Marguerite" one which was used on the Take Hart gallery and Channel Four testcard. 

The synth/ disco/ funk LPs usually seem to go for a price which is out of my league, or above what I'd be willing to pay for them since they generally only carry about 2 or 3 worthy tracks. I wish somebody would pull together a decent "best of" on vinyl.

DrunkCountry

Doing an all charity shop / ebay / oddities vinyl radio thing online this evening if anyone is interested.

lazyhour

DrunkCountry

Quote from: lazyhour on March 06, 2014, 06:20:19 PM
Very! When are you on?

o, shit. apologies. The show aired at 8pm yesterday evening. I did check back a few times yesterday in the afternoon to see if anyone had replied, but then at some point got caught up in the show prep & etc.

However, having made those apologies, I will report the show itself (which went out yesterday at 8pm) was very clunky & I wasn't very pleased with it. Well, with me & my input/DJing if I'm completely honest. I was thoroughly distracted by the fact Mrs Country (who was also supposed to be co-hosting the show) went missing yesterday evening[nb]we have a fairly mundane but effective system where we text each other if we are going to be going off piste on our normal schedule & last night she hadn't sent one[/nb].

She eventually showed up, after 4hrs of me frantically[nb]I only get concerned because she works in a pretty dodgy part of the city (there's been rapes & murders up there) & most evenings she insists on walking home rather than take a bus or grab a cab, which I'd be far happier with given the frequency of incidents along her usual route[/nb] ringing around her mates/work/family[nb]her own phone was going straight to answerphone[/nb]. Longish story involving an impromptu visit to a couple of friends of ours, who live in the sticks & have barely any mobile coverage[nb]hence her phone going straught to answerfone[/nb] or a landline[nb]so, the one couple I was unable to raise by phone & because their name wasn't in my contacts I simply didn't even think of them as an option[/nb], that morphed from a quick hello/catch up into a getting pissed to celebrate some good news our friends had just received. She totally forgot she hadn't texted[nb]brought on by the fact the wife of our friendy couple surprised her at work & gave her a lift back to their's so they could catch up before getting a lift home[/nb] or called before leaving work to say she was making a quick trip to see these friends. So, in the safety of thinking I was aware of where she was, she got leathered[nb]they're all leathered by the time I've finished with them[/nb]. The silly bitch.

Anyway, that aside, we plan on doing more of these & properly in the near future.  I'll let you know when the next one is planned.

Head Gardener

some nice additions in the last few weeks to my football records collection, a guy on a stall
in a jumble sale had boxes of odd 7" mostly from the 70's for 50p a pop, I couldn't resist these

Plymouth Argyle circa '74

1975 squad managed by Don Revie

I misread this as Charlton, but it turned out to be some Aussie team

thraxx

I picked up the picture disc of The Sundays' first album for 25 quid at the weekend.  It's probably more than I wanted to pay, but I thought 'fuck it' don't see it too often.  Do you reckon it's a decent price?

I also got a Spanish 12" pressing of The Boy With the Thorn In His Side for 8 quid.  Don't usually buy 12" but again, just thought fuck it, seems a reasonable price.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: thraxx on March 10, 2014, 03:59:35 PM
I picked up the picture disc of The Sundays' first album for 25 quid at the weekend.  It's probably more than I wanted to pay, but I thought 'fuck it' don't see it too often.  Do you reckon it's a decent price?

I also got a Spanish 12" pressing of The Boy With the Thorn In His Side for 8 quid.  Don't usually buy 12" but again, just thought fuck it, seems a reasonable price.

£25 is what I paid for a first pressing 2wks ago, so I'd say that's about average for it. Seen it go for £45 in the past.

Head Gardener

found a nice pair of Library albums lurking in a charity shop earlier today,

holyzombiejesus

Do they sell vacuum cleaners in any of these charity shops?

Head Gardener

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 12, 2014, 07:26:52 PM
Do they sell vacuum cleaners in any of these charity shops?

probably but I never look and don't expect to find one on a Saturday

DrunkCountry

I did a bit of a sweep of the city's charity shops over the past couple of weeks & dug up the following gems:

jonnycuba

Nice haul...

That 'Oh Happy Day' MFP has a killer drum break on 'Hand in the Hand'... The Moody Blues on Deram is a great find too.

DrunkCountry

Cheers!  That 'Oh Happy Day' LP is fantastic. Bit of a goldmine the charity shops in Cardiff all told. As I was leaving one Oxfam a family brought in a recently deceased relative's record collection & it was huge. Asked if I could have a dig about in the boxes & was told the staff get first dibs & the records will be priced & on sale next week. Bah!

I also picked these up on eBay at stupid cheap dollar (av. £2 each) recently. Particularly pleased with the wonderful copy of The Colorblind James Experience.

the psyche intangible

Doctor Rockit - Ready to Rockit. Double 10" ep

The Incomparable Ella

µ-Ziq - My Little Beautiful 12"

Just over four quid in total.

eifion

Quote from: DrunkCountry on March 17, 2014, 07:08:57 PM
Particularly pleased with the wonderful copy of The Colorblind James Experience.

That's one of my favourite LPs. I recently paid more than was sensible for a rare-as-hell CD copy.