Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:52:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I do the Newport run monthly, mainly cos I like popping into Kens Paper Collectables at the end. I always buy a few copies of Look In magazine. I did find a stash of old 60's 7"'s at one point. Plenty of TOTP's albums which I'm collecting. Though I ca tell some of the shops havnt had any donations in months as its the same names.

Head Gardener

A friend who runs a bookshop got in touch to say he had this unusual find for me earlier today.
Well aware of my debilitating condition Flexdiscia, he kindly let me have it for nowt.
Featuring excerpts from the 1970 stage production of the musical Catch My Soul and introduced by PJ Proby
it has great photos inside the A4 sized booklet - with fantastic graphics on the rear of the sleeve.

Head Gardener

Theme from the 70's TV series : listen

A beautiful atmospheric collection of songs & poems on a single by religious charity Toc H.

In the same box was this album of reminisces by the founder of Toc H., if you search the charity on Discogs
the main reference is to Pow R. Toc H. by Pink Floyd, the rear of the sleeve strangely features Jimmy Savile.

A lovely near mint selection of 60's EP's of Victorian music boxes.

Trump's current listening (possibly) I'd let him have this copy for a signed photo.

A signed copy of the only single released by the ex 60's game show Double Your Money hostess.

A pair of Israeli related albums that were only 50p a pop.

I took a punt on this LP as I liked the sleeve and it turned out to be a pretty rare folk album : listen

but I was actually happier to find this original UK demo of a tune I remember when I were a lad : listen

This obvious fake silver award was only a fiver, but as the frame was broken it may just sit in the corner of the cellar looking lovely.

Head Gardener

I spied Jimmy Page at the Reading record fair today

hoping no-one noticed him stuffing Simon & Garfunkel into his bag

Head Gardener

things I found at the Reading record fair - I am tight when it comes to buying at fairs and all the stuff here came to less than £20,
not had a chance to listen to everything yet.

a test pressing of Bill Nelson's Sounding The Ritual Echo - a free album that originally came with Quit Dreaming...
not a lot to look at but when I saw it in a box with just the catalogue number (ECHO 1) on a plain white sleeve I knew what it was!

I have not listened to this yet but I assumed it's a sampler for their Budokan live album

a spoken word oddity titled The Family That Plays Together Gets On Each Others Nerves

a white label bootleg mash-up of Underworld's Born Slippy & Floyd's Comfortably Numb

a black label Hendrix album from the early 70's

one-sided promo with messages from loads of old bands, looking forward to listening through this one

pink vinyl & probably a bit cheeky, which is nice

a great Xian psych/folk album - I picked a tatty copy up ages ago but this one is minty

a few 7" odds and ends

Head Gardener

the weekend car booty vinyl finds

I was pleased to finally pick up a copy of this album, I've had others in this Co*Star series
with actors that were never going to be as good as one with Vincent talking on it, and I was right!

in the same carrier bag as the Vincent Price album was this soundtrack, someone had good taste

A very odd Swedish compilation album that despite a half hearted search online
turned up with nothing on P.I.E. 3722 Airways but it does have a cover of Typically Tropical's Barbados

a small selection of cheap cheese, some signed

a great old Breakbeat 12" - dig it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBVyeR9fYQA

3 great Scott Walker albums at one car boot was a bit of a result, the 2 below were sealed and new copies from
the guy who turns up at the car boot with boxes of vinyl at £10 a go, I didn't have 2 + 3 so how could I say no?

I also picked up the 2 x 45rpm re-master of this beauty

there were not many 7"s but this flexi-disc was a sweet find, complete with speed changing disc on the rear
like a low budget Led Zeppelin III

Head Gardener

nice find at the car boot this morning, it has the music of Big Wheel (aka Barry Blue) released on Bell Records in 1973,
but with motorbikes revving up over the top on this edition

New Jack

Was a year ago but I got Godspeed You! Black Emperor's first album and it included a crushed Canadian penny!

buzby

As a coincidence, Delete picked up the 1990 rerelease of Kinky Boots, played it on (spam) last night, and someone asked what font was on the sleeve:

It's Davida, which is all over this thread, presumably due to it being licenced by Letraset.

Brundle-Fly

Well done HG, that's a great find. I clicked my heels when I found my copy. Most old UK advert compilation LPs are usually just classical music cues but these are the actual jingles and original tunes.

Head Gardener

some sevens found in fields over the weekend, and an album in a charity shop this morning

The unpredictability of going through singles boxes at car boots is the joy of coming across gems like this.

This is probably a pretty rare charity single featuring the Spriguns of Tolgus singer Mandy Morton, signed too

5 different versions of the same tune O! indeed

Edited from 3 x Best of... albums!

YMO on yellow vinyl

Alan Hull (Lindisfarne) related single by Robert Barton who had previously been in a folk band called Becket,
this single was actually a minor hit in Holland in 1975.

A pair of classic new wave tunes released together to plug a compilation.

Pretty piss-poor Pistols parody - more info https://punkygibbon.co.uk/bands/r/rubbishjonny.html

vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfKyoouCA0E

Mo-dettes tribute to the East-End gangster

vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGtrOBf27pw

Kenny slags off some quite frankly rubbish records but all in the best possible taste!

The only LP of note this week was one I had to buy for the title of track #8 on side 2 alone, sadly after hearing it I need not have bothered.

Head Gardener

mostly sevens seemed to be turning up this week but there was one album, phew

The best find was this strange single probably released for schools in 1977
I couldn't find much online about it but the book is available on Amazon.

Scotlands fateful bid for World Cup glory in 1978

The hit song for the successful jeans ad campaign in the mid-70's issued (as a freebie?) in a g/f sleeve

Lovely to find an original picture sleeve of this DB classic but I really wish Kathy hadn't written her name on the front, twice!

Promo disc from 1968 no doubt handed out as you boarded the plane after your Jamaican holiday

Signed release by tenor saxophonist Betty Smith

Scottish folk EP also signed

I took a punt on this religious album and wasn't disappointed as it has several surprisingly good tracks

Translated as The Pleasure Gas, this spoken word German 7" sadly isn't quite as sexy as the sleeve suggests

Head Gardener

an unusual 'Outsider Folk' album turned up at the car boot this morning, very little info about it to be found
but it is available as a free download on their Bandcamp page! listen up : https://bluesteel.bandcamp.com/

Head Gardener

some 7" bits & bobs I picked up recently

great one-sided, late 60's cleaning machine promo single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clie-7fn0nQ

I picked up another copy of this silver promo flexi yesterday, my pretty rubbish old YouTube video has had 40,000+ views!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyIls75IhaY

The oddest, unexpected things turn up in 50p boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrURuVdIauc

the pick of the albums, I picked up a huge collection of Elvis that turned up at the car boot but these were more interesting

OST from a TV show I wasn't familiar with but I liked the sleeve, shades of Police Squad in the theme tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFBGJofg5xY

I wouldn't normally buy an ABBA album (honest) but this one looked unusual.

This was probably the best find of the week, but alas had no sleeve, if anyone has one to trade please pm me!

A lavish (and a bit weird) picture disc album with huge booklet inside the gate-fold and instead of
Dalglish or Rush or Souness for the LP cover I thought it was kinda cool that they chose Sammy Lee.

buzby

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 04, 2018, 06:05:48 PM

A very odd Swedish compilation album that despite a half hearted search online
turned up with nothing on P.I.E. 3722 Airways but it does have a cover of Typically Tropical's Barbados

A bit late, but  P.I.E. were Pacific Intermountain Express:

An American haulage company that was the biggest in the world in the 1950s. In the early 70s they wanted to expand into Europe and opened a base in Malmo and one in the UK. As well as their own fleet they ran a network of contracted owner-operators and small haulage firms in their livery across Europe and Scandinavia, doing trans-European and Middle Eastern freight runs.

After a series of mergers (they were bought by the company that owned Ryder and merged with them in 1983) and sell offs, the European operation was disposed of and the company went bankrupt in 1990. I don't think they ever operated a freight airline though, so the album was probably to promote the new Scandinavian base.
http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=91757
http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=149907

Head Gardener

GREAT detective work there Buzby thank you!

Head Gardener

A nice find just this morning in a charity shop where the guy who runs it is really rude (not just to me but to pretty much everybody)
but he's actually a bit of sweetheart having been homeless for years and has now been given a animal charity shop with flat above to look after,
even so he still moans all the time. He let me have this 10" coloured vinyl flexi-disc for 20p and then told me to fuck off! haha

​​​​​​​

Head Gardener

I picked up some great 7" singles at the weekend, an old boy turned up at the car boot with bags & bags of LP's
which were mostly 60's pop including Beatles, Stones but lots of them were tatty so I concentrated on the sevens
in a dozen boxes which were spread out over blankets on the ground, no-one else seemed interested in them probably
because it's usually a family & kids boot with toys and buggies everywhere, so at £1 a pop how could I resist?!

A nice pair of 007"s

Italian issue - 1972

UK issue - 1970

Dutch issue in a bizarre not actually T.Rex pictured sleeve - anyone know who this is?

2 x TV theme demo

A pair of sweet rock n rollers

Original UK issue with the backward print on the B side - the music is the A side played backwards! listen to both sides, now

A couple of mighty Link Wrays

listen

listen

Japanese issue - 1977

only a couple of albums of interest turned up, I thought that this was a locally related record
but it turns out to be the Northampton in America, but pressed in the UK by Deroy, what were the chances?

I took a punt on this Polish Funky Jazzy LP as it had a version of Shaft on it, but it turns out it's a pretty great album overall : listen

Head Gardener

have now found out they are an American rock band called Rex - easy mistake eh?

Picked up this collection of sleevless 60's records and a couple of others for a tenner.

Head Gardener

all praise to my mum who found a box full of 78rpm test pressings at the car boot - she paid £6 for the lot! pretty much all
from 1957 and no doubt the same owner who never played them, there are about 30 more but these were the pick of the crop.

Head Gardener

found a break-up letter written on the inner sleeve of a Tonto's Expanding Headband album today

​​​​​​​

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 17, 2018, 01:15:57 PM
found a break-up letter written on the inner sleeve of a Tonto's Expanding Headband album today

​​​​​​​

desolation.

kaprisky

That looks more like a long winded response to Jilted John.

"...and that goes for in bed as well."
"We never sleep together on your night off either... you always sit up with someone."
"I'm not bothered about you bringing in all this money. As long as we've got enough to get by."

That last one sounds like it belongs to Love on a Farmboy's Wages!

Head Gardener

this weekend's vinyl car booty

7" in a hand stamped sleeve from my dad's old shop - he actually paid me in records to stamp sleeves in the 70's!

I really love the way his name is in SUCH LARGE LETTERS (as it should be really) it's a non-album track too

almost poppy version on the B side of a scarce 7"

a very nice copy of the original UK EP

early 70's rocker, the band would soon feature a pre-Sweet Andy Scott and his brother

this is the version I grew up with in the 70's

obscure country folk signed by the great man himself!

cheesecake alert, the LP is pretty rubbish but love that sleeve!

excellent early 70's compilation of Buddah stuff, check that tracklisting

Milton Keynes proggers who once had the distinction of playing Reading Festival, making the front cover
of top music rag Sounds and featuring (if you look really hard) on the sleeve of the debut Marillion album

it's signed inside by the violinist

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 22, 2018, 03:49:51 PM

Milton Keynes proggers who once had the distinction of playing Reading Festival, making the front cover
of top music rag Sounds and featuring (if you look really hard) on the sleeve of the debut Marillion album

it's signed inside by the violinist

Pedantry alert:

Seems unlikely that the cover of a 1984 album would appear on the cover of an album released in 1983. The artist lists Bill Nelson and Pink Floyd as the non-Marillion LP covers used;

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:stE42SGlYNgJ:https://www.loudersound.com/features/cover-story-marillion-script-for-a-jester-s-tear+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl

Yes I did spend 5 minutes trying to see that album on the Marillion one. :)

Head Gardener

it's not an album (or single) cover it's the copy of Sounds which features Solstice on the cover, maybe I should have made that clearer, sorry.
I did some promo work for the band at the time as I was friends with them and designed flyers which were ironically enough handed out at Marillion
shows when they supported them, they were all pretty pally these old proggers.

Head Gardener

found one of those flyers, I did the illustrations and Tim did the writing but I'd do anything for a few tickets and a joint back then

Pauline Walnuts

Sebastian Cobb

Really like that breakup note hg; I tend to get most of my stuff off of discogs these days, and something I really love is getting a handwritten note from someone abroad saying 'best wishes, from France!' etc. I always shove them back into the sleeve as I'm sentimental like that.