Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:47:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrunkCountry

Quote from: eifion on March 18, 2014, 08:10:40 PM
That's one of my favourite LPs. I recently paid more than was sensible for a rare-as-hell CD copy.

That was £25 that was[nb]via eBay & way above the £2 average of everything else, but free p&p[/nb]. I haggled down from £35. I had a copy when it came out & it got nicked at some point in the '90s, along with a shitload of other vinyl & CDs[nb]Who the fucking fuck steals 1 CD from a 2 CD set? Cunts, that's who.[/nb] during a number of house parties, & it's taken me since then to find a copy. Years ago I spoke of not owning this brilliant album on my radio show & how difficult it was to find in any format. I got contacted by a listener in Virginia who said he had a cassette version I could have & then promptly sent it to me. Lovely gesture, but vinyl is where it's at.

lazyhour

Picked this up for a couple of quid last week in a charity shop, nice gatefold LP. Look at his face!

And here's the amazing (very very slightly NSFW) inner gatefold design: http://thriftyvinyl.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/img_1738.jpg

DrunkCountry

Took a shufty in a local second hand record store today. What a mess. Records fucking everywhere. Hardly any order. Boxes & boxes of albums on top of many other boxes, boxes under desks & tables, stacks of the bloody things everywhere. Hardly any room to move or reach anything without bringing down half the stock or knackering your back. Fucking marvelous. Ended up spending a good couple of hours in there digging through piles of the things until the owner kicked me out to close.

Managed to find these amongst the avalanche:

Have had this King Missile CD since it was released but never knew this was available on vinyl. First time I've ever seen it on vinyl & at a fiver I wasn't going to say no.

Had this nicked in the mid '90s along with a shitload of other records during any number of house parties we used to have. First time I've ever seen this record anywhere outside an overpriced eBay listing. Another fiver.

I bought the novel this album is based on & the CD. I didn't really like either. However, the completist feck in me said I had to get this to fill that Dogbowl / Shimmy Disc hole. That's what it said when I saw this for £4, anyway. I like it better than I remember being unimpressed by it back then.

Been contemplating hunting down the House Of Love debut & s/t LPs for a while, but never really put any effort into it. Then this appeared in amongst a bunch of Soft Cell & Nitzer Ebb. £3, yes please.

Found this in a pile of Punk & New Wave boxes. £2.99, nae bad.

This came out of a YMCA charity shop for a quid. It's a series of medleys of German folk tunes/adaptations/variations & is a late '60s promo album in a 12" folded glossy paper cover, which is wrapped around a rubber inner sheath covering a standard white inner sleeve & flawless vinyl. Yes, there is polka & some oom-pah.

Can't wait to go back & spend a proper day there digging through everything[nb]the secondhand shop, not the YMCA chazza.[/nb]. 

lazyhour

What would I have to do for you whisper where this record shop is?

the psyche intangible

DrunkCountry

Didn't have much time to dig about on Saturday but in the hour I was there I found these. 

The last one is 'Beyond The Calico Wall' — a rare 1990 compilation featuring the following obscure '60s psychedelic bands:

Park Avenue Playground, The Hooterville Trolley, No Silver Bird, Afterglow, The Flower Power, The Pulse, Rasputin & The Mad Monks, Alva Snelling, The Spontaneous Generation, Cosmic Rock Show, The Greek Fountains, Duffy, The Pebble Episode, The Bohemian Vendetta, & The Demons Of Negativity.

momatt

Quote from: the psyche intangible on March 20, 2014, 07:03:06 PM
Sounds like Rob's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylWwOpsM0Co

Wha?  I haven't lived in Nottingham for ten years, it that place still there?  Utterly insane place.  No idea how he pays the rent.

the psyche intangible

Still at it. I was in there a few of years ago when the gas man arrived to read the meter. The meter situated beneath piles of records he believes someone will cry to find. Rob, in his adorable way said "Hmm, better come back next week". The place is pretty much back to the holy hovel it was before refurbishment, gladly.

momatt

Quote from: the psyche intangible on March 25, 2014, 01:32:45 AMrefurbishment

So they fixed it up and tidied the place, now it's a mess again?  Fantastic.
Must take a look next time I'm in Notts.

Head Gardener

picked up some sweet sevens this week

gotta love those credits round the edge

EW&F promo EP from 1975

Head Gardener

lazyhour

Nice haul! What was the total amount spent?

lazyhour

Nice haul! What was the total amount spent?

lazyhour

momatt

Could you post bigger scans please?

Kane Jones

I picked up near mint copies of Blonde On Blonde, Blood On The Tracks, Stop Making Sense and Brothers In Arms (it was mint, alright?) for less than £2 for the lot yesterday.  The guy selling them must've been a lunatic.  I didn't argue, though.

Head Gardener

QuoteNice haul! What was the total amount spent?

50p each / £3

Head Gardener

met a bloke at a car boot who invited me round to his house to buy some LPs
and these are some of the 32 that I bought, he named his price so I paid £3 each

holyzombiejesus

You well ripped him off on that MBV 12".

I don't think it's the one you've got, but I know one of those 'Welcome to the cruise' type albums is worth a bit. There's some tour bit where they guide you round the ship and there's a disco and the music that they're playing is collectable.

EDIT: It might be yours, actually, although I thought the one I was thinking of was worth more than £25.

http://www.discogs.com/marketplace?release_id=1016448&ev=rb

Head Gardener

yes this is the one with Black Cat Bones featured on side 2
BCB featured Simon Kirke before he went and joined Free

holyzombiejesus

Don't you think it's a bit shitty offering some bloke £3 an LP when you know his stuff's worth loads more?

Head Gardener

nope, he is a dealer, but in antiques and is moving to Somerset he was just happy I spent over £100 with him!
He had loads of Grateful Dead but I aint got time for them regardless of their worth, they smell of wee

lazyhour

They don't look to be in very good condition either, which eases the moral issue (and my jealousy) a little. I have seen that QE2 record go for £40+ on eBay. How much is the MBV one worth?

Head Gardener

ah no these ones are fine, haha! I sat with him for a few hours going through his boxes
while he complained he knew nothing about records but that he knew there is collectible stuff etc.
The Saucerful Of Secrets repress he wanted 5 quid for was scratched to buggery, so it was
swings n roundabouts, the MBV is nice though - he wanted 4 for that but I'm such a bastard I knocked
him down to 3 - it goes for 40 up but jeez I gots to make a living, Scottish wife, children to feed

Head Gardener

charity shop finds this morning

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 14, 2014, 04:17:13 PM
Don't you think it's a bit shitty offering some bloke £3 an LP when you know his stuff's worth loads more?

It's not hard to find out what an album is worth these days. eBay completed listings would be the first place even someone who doesn't know anything about records should be thinking of checking, but even a cursory Google on the topic "what are my records worth" yields plenty of advice. If he wanted £3 a piece, then that's on him and congrats to the buyer. It's been a long time since I found a bargain.

CaledonianGonzo

Picked this up yesterday for a princely £1.99.  It's incredible - why haven't I heard of it before?

(Though I guess if it's the music featured in Lindsay Anderson's 'If..' I must have heard it at some point).

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Head Gardener on April 16, 2014, 04:17:48 PM
charity shop finds this morning

Will gladly accept any forthcoming rip of that Ethiopia Volume 3 Music of the Eritrea.

Actually - just been reading up about the woman behind it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Jenkins_%28ethnomusicologist%29

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017lz83

I was in the National Museum looking at some of the African musical instruments just last week - I guess they might have been hers. 

An odd wee coincidence there.  As you were.

Head Gardener

will see what I can do on the Ethiopia LP OK ~ these were some of my boot finds this morning

some great old Jazz 10" albums, the King Oliver one in particular is superb

there was also this private test pressing of a mid 70's Folk album
couldn't find out anything about it so if anyone knows more?

The Plunger

Personally, I need to know the prices of each and every item posted in this thread. Make it so.