Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

QuoteIt looks like a promo compilation of songs published or controlled by Bourne Music

fuck me you're good buzby, cheers!

Head Gardener

bits and bobs from a digging spree over the weekend

I have never seen a copy of this 7" in the wild before and was so pleased to find it, as it was the name of the film
my parents saw and then decided that was what they would call me, still relieved they never went to see Heidi that day.

I found up a cheap load of old folk LP's on a trip to sunny Milton Keynes yesterday, on labels like Topic & Trailer but these were the pick of the bonny bunch.

the most unusual pair were these two

a 10" released in 1971

a beautiful album released on a label I had not heard of in 1965

This rare album was sitting next to a box but was sadly scribbled on!

Head Gardener

dropped off my some old signed vinyl at the charity shops today

Head Gardener

I picked up a lovely stash of old Prog progs - most of which were from 1975 just before my gig-going time, my first was Queen in '77

someone was certainly out & about a lot in '75

all '75 - the Wakeman one was King Arthur ON ICE!

ELP '72 + '74

3 x early Genesis, including Foxtrot '72 era, The Lamb Lies Down '74 and an envelope with inserts including flexi-disc (Twilight Alehouse)
and a lovely fold out poster from their Selling England By The Pound in '73

various Tull tours from '72 to '80

Head Gardener

A mix of the groovy LP's and 7"s have made their way into my cellar the past few weeks, including...

A nice pair of hippy self help albums, I never realized thought was such a menace.

I've always loved the title tune so was very pleased to come across the long player : listen

I knew nothing about this so bought it on the strength that it was on Island Records from '66
and should have guessed from the rear that the title tracks were not the usual stuff that Island
were releasing at the time, it turns out to be quite pleasant easy listening, sung in Italian.

some of the singles

Soul Coaxing : listen

CCS : listen

The Magic Roundabout : watch

Sex Aids : listen

Happiness is a cigar : listen

Head Gardener

the new issue of Shindig magazine has a full page feature on the Wobbly Sounds flexi-disc book, 
there are also articles in Mojo and Record Collector but I have yet to take pics in W.H. Smiths!

NattyDread 2

It's been a while since I found any records out in the field. Slim Pickings would be my blues name since moving to the sticks years ago. Before that I'd be bringing around a dozen records into the house a month at least, but then I was digging regularly in the 6 charity shops a stone's throw from the flat in Edinburgh, coupled with regular jaunts to Underground Solushn, Avalanche, Unknown Pleasures etc.
These days, it's only the odd online buy that comes through the door except for the very rare occurrence of the record gods taking pity on me and providing a Skye jumble sale with records that aren'y jigs and fucking reels.
There's nowt eye watering but it's so rare to find interesting records around here that I felt compelled to post them anyway...and I was just thinking the other day that I need more Traffic in my life. Never heard any of the others before except Abbey Road of course.

Presumably the John and Yoko isn't one for the tripping tunes thread.

Head Gardener

with the car boot season in full swing allsorts of vinyl delights are beginning to turn up

I just liked the sleeve of this 12" which turns out to be someone called Dubble D ‎
and sadly not the inspiration for the Walking On The Moon drum solo.

The sound of lots of old cars driving very...very... slowly... from London to Brighton including BBC's Blue Peter team .

The 2nd LP by Ivor Biggun aka Doc Cox from the 80's TV show "That's Life" features a whole host of erm, stars.

I have had this guy's How To Lose Weight album for years but until I found this one I never knew
he had done one on smoking too, nice touch on the rear of the sleeve where there is a cigarette burn!

Various cover versions arranged by the dad of the 4AD record boss released on the Pinnacle label in 1974.

A nice pair of stereo originals, I have a friend in China who'll have these!

2 x compilations, the first is bands on the Bomp! imprint including The Flamin' Groovies

and a pretty good mix of Avon based new wave and indie bands

a few nice singles turned up today, this electronic sounds one is excellent and I like the copyright credit on the label

this 7" with it's signed sleeve has a great flourish on the signature!

I could hardly leave this oddity in a 50p box, a 10" album in the back of an A3 sized book released in 1970
which includes a history of the London drinking holes, I wonder how many of these pubs are left today

Head Gardener

picked up a nice handful of sevens at a garage sale in the week (all from the same stall)
I honestly didn't know about the rarity of the Mick Softley record, it just looked "interesting" and it was 30p...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ME5OhS_O8

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

Head Gardener

tramping across the fields ear-lie in the mornin' has turned up some odd things including these albums

A strange one this (I liked the cover) and a really pleasant listen mix of choir and string quintet.

This was in the same box, not had a chance to listen to it yet but it had me by the warning on the front.

This nice pair of BBC albums I didn't already have were cheap in a charity shop

I wasn't aware that there was a TV show called The Comet Is Coming I had assumed the new band of the same name had come up with it.

A tatty sleeve but the record was fine and a great selection of themes including Record Breakers!

Now I know where Pink Floyd got their inspiration for the heartbeats at the start of Dark Side Of The Moon (probably)

some curious singles

The first two releases on the Reflection imprint

Two signed sevens

Three releases by 70's 'comedy' legends

I've three inch 7"s, square 7"s and all manner of picture disc 7"s but now I have the worlds first holographic 7" - and it was bloody difficult to photograph!

Head Gardener

digging through my 78's I came across this one from 1910 - the first ever recording of a bird on disc : listen

Head Gardener

Not many singles have found their way into my grubby paws in the past few weeks but some nice albums have, such as...

This album #3 in an edition of 8 copies came my way when I met the Basingstoke based artist at a record fair and he had a bag of his handmade releases,
the lathe cut vinyl came with an SD card with 100 extra tracks, a great way to spread the good grooves, and they are really good!
more info : https://www.discogs.com/Raz-Friends-Instrumental-Health/release/13670960

A bloke at the car boot sale had a box of these beautiful, one sided gold discs, I am kicking myself for not buying the lot as they were only 3 for a quid,
I still don't know exactly what I am going to do with it as there is no music on them.

Strong double album compilation of songs played on an Oklahoma based radio station in the late 60's early 70's.

a nice pair of picture discs were in the same box, along with some other heavy metal ones but these were a bit erm, sexier

this Japanese one is excellent!

I got this one for The Good, The Bad & The Ugly track and that cheesy grin (inner sleeve was signed To Hilda)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7p18uCcnLA

A budget re-issue of an earlier album by a band who released an album on the spiral Vertigo label in 1971

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSqvMLozWrU

In the same box was this album from 1965

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F07Kg2qYmg&feature=youtu.be

Head Gardener

I had a nice albums and 78's score at the car boot today, luckily 2 of the regulars are on holiday so I  almost had the pick of the field!
One bloke had literally hundreds of cheap 78's and singles and when the other diggers wandered off to look at other cars the stall holder
told me to go and have a look at the stuff he hadn't unloaded from his transit van, he had several big boxes which had mostly Elvis in which
I couldn't be arsed with to be honest but he did have some lovely Hank Williams 78's and some sweet 60's LP's at a pound a pop, this is the pick of the bunch.

I had not found a Scott 2 with it's insert before today.

Lovely Hank UK 78's and a 10" album

I was pleased with the T.Rex as it had the sticker on the front and the poster, which I'd not seen before,
the Johnny Cash was a UK London front laminated original in beautiful nick.

a whole bunch of Stones LP's including 2 early UK mono's and a stereo Aftermath

Upon further investigation I discovered this zipper sleeve had a sad message inside the cover...

Head Gardener

mostly 7" odds & ends in the last 7 days

The only record by the artist and the only release on the Verdley label and even the herbicide it's promoting has been discontinued.

a few global discs

BOAC promo souvenir for flying from London to Japan via the polar route

Middle East Airways promo for Lebanon from the film Farewell To Lebanon

This came with a bizarre, slightly rusty solid metal centre!

The Chile National Anthem - hear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Q5VW0HVxk

Some old EP's

Nice one-sided promo with a polite notice on the flip - hear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRSwjhYmAY4

Another sound effects single but sadly not electronic music.

An American pressing but sadly not the rare UK issue, nice sleeve though.
hear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQmmM_qwG4k

A 12" I got today for 30p which has a great picture on one side, the music is by Joe Fagin from 1987.
hear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GChJ57a168U

Chriddof

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 05, 2019, 06:00:04 PM
a few nice singles turned up today, this electronic sounds one is excellent and I like the copyright credit on the label

F.C. Judd! That's Fred Judd, who's recently been rediscovered - a compilation album of some of his work is available:

https://bleep.com/release/34251-fc-judd-electronics-without-tears

As I understand it, he did a lot of early electronic music for TV / film production companies who weren't the BBC. One notable example was Space Patrol, an early 60s ITV marionette programme produced by one of Gerry Anderson's former collaborators, Roberta Leigh.

Head Gardener

cheers for the info Chriddof, the boots were rubbish today despite the sunshine, but this nice flexi I'd not seen before turned up

Head Gardener

an unusual find in a box at the car boot earlier today had potential - it's a mid-70's UK EMI test pressing, could it possibly be Sex Pistols or Kate Bush or even Queen? I took the 25p plunge....

however upon deeper investigation it turns out to be...

ahh I was so close there!

Head Gardener

Lovely sunny weekend of car booting (next to a ballooning festival) has turned up some nice vinyl gems.

Some balloons were quite discreet, passing by at a safe distance.

One box turned up some original 60's albums in tip-top condition.

This old library album didn't have a sleeve but looked interesting enough.

Proof (as if it was needed) that I sometimes buy any old nonsense and I don't even like cricket (I love it, yeah)*

*actually I don't love it at all to be honest

Some balloons chose too come far to close, but some folks will do anything to get records these days!

This Christian folk album would be a different record altogether with a question mark after their name.

a few odd singles

A Coin Operator Release EP (for US jukeboxes maybe?)

I picked this up as I'd never come across this label before, which features 2 schools on the flip.

I'd never heard of this before and was quite excited when I came across it, but it turns out to be an old Bach tune played on a synth.

hear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpPHmYr4qec

Head Gardener

Mostly albums have turned up in boxes in fields this week, such as...

Quite nice Xian folk

A lovely old Sandie Shaw album in mono from '68 which is mostly cover versions but well chosen and the g/f cover is very cool.

A mysterious double sided EMI acetate was always going to tempt me to part with 50p, alas it turns out to be a recording of a school choir
with no guitars or keyboards to be heard anywhere, damn.

One guy at the car boot had a very interesting box but demanded £5 a pop for his records,
he had many I'd not seen or heard before including these which have turned out to be £20 well spent.

This was a 12" and upon investigation turned out to be a 2nd pressing, the only way of telling was the number crossed out on the inner poster number!

Always have to pick up a bit of cheese on my travels, signed on the back and endorsed by the great Dick Emery.

These 2 cute 5" clear discs with experimental Welsh electronica on were sent to me via the R-Bennig label boss Johnny R.

Got this sealed copy of Alexis Taylor's album from a bloke at the car boot who had 2 boxes of new albums and 12"s (DJ Shadow, Hot Chip etc) for £1 a pop!

Head Gardener

nice flexi-find today, Thompson Twins - Adventure Game For The Spectrum 1984 (sleeve is my addition)

listen up

Head Gardener

all sorts of finds in fields over the weekend

Unusual to find a flexi plugging a book and in a fancy gate-fold sleeve with no expense spared, I hope it helped.

Guided tour of a Yugoslavian cave with bonus slides inside!

No relation to the band Slade, this Flame burned in the early 80's on the Malta pop scene.

A Rock 'n' Rollin' BBC demo, I thought he sounded a bit like Lonnie Donegan but that piano is pretty damn hot!

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8qDOn3wJcI

More BBC records in a pair of great old sleeves, actually just as I found them.

I have all kinds of meditation albums but never knew of this one before, on pink Charisma and produced by the guy behind so many great records.

Irish 60's Folk & spoken word

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O5-64i9YkY

A great Island Records compilation, including a rare Tom Petty track.

I couldn't find out much about this oddity which is a mix of originals and Neil Young covers, it has a Deroy Records matrix of DER 1272

I was happy to pay 50p for this LP as the first track on side 2 caught my eye it's sealed but I'll bite the bullet.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 01, 2019, 05:10:01 PM

nice flexi-find today, Thompson Twins - Adventure Game For The Spectrum 1984 (sleeve is my addition)

listen up

Game Walkthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAo4dj0O0c4

Head Gardener

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 06, 2019, 11:35:49 PM
Game Walkthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAo4dj0O0c4
excellent, thank you!

I won an interesting record selection in a pair of boxes at the auction today, lots of things I had not seen before and mostly in tip-top nick,
there also seemed to be lot of ladies on the sleeves which may/may not be related to the fact that there were a LOT of old gentlemen's mags in the auction too!

it wasn't all about the ladies though, there were unexpected delights

these two were sold on a final reduction of 10p - thankfully the stickers are the type that are easily removed

A 12" acetate that sadly turned out to be another bloody church service...

Head Gardener

some nice car boot finds this week including a handful of scarce 7"s in lovely condition

An unusual French EP with a lenticular sleeve, it's hard to photograph it in all it's glory but it's very pretty.

One member of the band went on to join The Animals.

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1O3a8pjlc0

Two members of the band went to to join The Troggs.

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7PkTFHwTlQ&feature=youtu.be

Most of the band went on to become Family.

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U470Jg0tfx0&feature=youtu.be

I was most pleased to come across a whole bunch of original Durium discs which were all released in the 1930's,
I have 2 or 3 of these which are the only ones I'd ever come across in years of collecting and then I find 11 of them in one box!

This one was issued at Xmas 1932 and features a play performed by Lloyds Bank staff

Advertising info on the rear

Best of all was a bunch of one-sided brown Durium flexi's all dating from the early 30's in a local record shop bag.

Head Gardener

had some nice 78's turn up recently, Hank Williams and Jerry Lee Lewis among them and although this disc is good in it's own right it was the beautiful (but wrong) sleeve that I really liked

this one also in the wrong sleeve was very nice - but it would have been amazing to have it plugging his tune Midnight and The Stars and You as featured in The Shining - but Good Evening is lovely too listen :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p2omR32flk

Sebastian Cobb

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 23, 2019, 05:45:20 PM
had some nice 78's turn up recently, Hank Williams and Jerry Lee Lewis among them and although this disc is good in it's own right it was the beautiful (but wrong) sleeve that I really liked

That ones quite common I've got a couple of those.

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 23, 2019, 05:45:20 PM
this one also in the wrong sleeve was very nice - but it would have been amazing to have it plugging his tune Midnight and The Stars and You as featured in The Shining - but Good Evening is lovely too listen :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p2omR32flk

I think that's more of an advert than the sleeve for Ray Nobels waxing.

Head Gardener

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on August 23, 2019, 10:29:33 PM

I think that's more of an advert than the sleeve for Ray Nobels waxing.

of course but it's on the sleeve so is therefore the sleeve, but I see what you mean

Head Gardener

bits and bobs from the boots

The first release on the mighty On-U Sounds label.

I've never come across one of these Virgin 7" promo's before (one of my rarer Virgin singles by Captain Beefheart has a special hand stamped sleeve)

Old actor Vernon Greeves wanders around even older English castles chatting away, as he does.

A pair of budget label issues featuring Duffy Power, Al Saxon and some really twangy guitars and 15 tracks between the two of them!

With a US issue in a gate-fold sleeve (the UK one is only in a rubbish single sleeve) and a Dutch version on yellow vinyl
and now this slightly s p a c e y sounding Quad version, no doubt I probably also have the CD and 8-track of it somewhere in the cellar...

The most unusual finds this week were a couple of mysterious albums on the EMI Central Research Laboratories label that was completely
new to me and with the words Experimental Record on them an absolute bargain at 50p a pop, even if they were gonna be rubbish.

The best way, other than playing it, was to check the matrix numbers in the run out but even these proved pointless as this one
with the number CWK 3001 on one side had never surfaced before. It turned out one side was half of the record Holiday Album
by late 70's new wavers Radio Stars, and for some 'experimental reason' the other side was bizarrely a Best of The Mamas & The Papas.

After a bit of research on this imprint I discovered only a couple of these discs seem to have been released before, one featured tracks
by Wings from Band On The Run and the other (probably very collectible) had tracks from the first Queen album on it. Well unfortunately
for me this one happened to feature the whole of this very common album by good old Manuel and His Music of The Mountains, damn.

Head Gardener

An EP in a beautiful sleeve featuring songs from the 1930 film released somewhat belatedly in 1957

video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANqGm-MiqQs

Since I discovered one of the rarest Ron Grainer related records a few years ago (this 78rpm pre-releasing any of his soundtrack work)
I seem compelled to seek out all his other records, and this was one I'd not seen or heard of before.

video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyEbdybw9rs

listen to Darkness Of My Life

This oddity (still in it's beautiful purple sleeve) features brothers Tony & Keith sharing the one disc,
there are versions on the same record with Keith taking credit for both sides but maybe that was because
Tony was being kind as he was the more famous of the two as drummer in The Shadows, there might even
be a signature on one of the labels too, though it's hard to tell which brother did it.

listen to the fantastic flip side Hooker Street

This guy only made a few singles including this demo from the mid 70's but he was still making music as recent as 2015.

Another demo from the same box as the Meehan bros 7" was by the composer of the Hell's Angels '69 movie soundtrack.

A mid 70's acetate by The YC's of Hendon North - who I assume are the Young Christians of that parish,
I tried in vain to work out quite which Sir Ian they are singing their praises to but it's either ex BBC director general
Sir Ian Trethowan or Gandalf, I'm more convinced it's the former unless anyone knows more - listen by downloading it.

This Spanish band were so chuffed that someone bought their single they all kindly signed it on both sides.

I was best pleased with this pair of thoroughly Scottish EP's featuring songs and spoken word, there are 6 in the set in seems, hoots!