Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:50:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Having been given my mate's old record collection (400ish LPs and singles) AND I bought another mate's collection of mostly EDM 12"s (200-ish) in July, I've had to put the brakes on buying records recently.

However, I did recently find a shop basement in my town filled with thousands of 7"s and hundreds of LPs/12"s, and picked up a whole bunch of nice bits (7" singles were seven for a fiver, I got 25 for twelve quid) including R.E.M, Tori Amos, Grace Jones Steve Winwood's Valerie which is a banger, some nice disco 12s etc). but the most intriguing finds in said basement were Strictly Personal by Captain Beefheart (I *never* find cheap Beefheart records and it was only three quid) and, intriguingly, the Monsieur Gainsbourg tribute album that was released in 2006 during the vinyl wilderness years, for only a tenner (Discogs has it for £25).

Head Gardener

Vinyl digging in Dundee I found this, there is scratched and then there is TRASHED

Head Gardener

I've had a busy week of driving and digging, with a trip up north to Arbroath & Dundee (where I will be moving to in the new year) as well as a local car boot sale down south.
I didn't buy anything in the shops as there was an awful lot of local music for local people. There were much better things turning up at my local car boot, I was just lucky to get
into a few boxes first as there is a lot of competition for vinyl. I started by tramping the streets of Arbroath on a grey and drizzly morning.

The local football ground/amusements.

There is a pretty harbour & lobster pot mountain.

I found one 2nd hand shop selling all manner of stuff but the vinyl looked very well thumbed, not a good sign.

The prices ranged from the ridiculous to the naah yer alright.

To grade the record "fair" would be over-grading it despite a VG sleeve.

A surprise to find this lurking among the Jim Reeves but parts of the sleeve were missing and the condition was VG/VG at best so I left it as it was priced a round £100.

The charity shops were awash with records featuring bagpipes

The tills of Arbroath never saw my paper and iron, I even skipped the chance of a smokie (smoked haddock snack)

To rub salt in the wound that a move up north may not yield good vinyl I went to the mid-week car boot upon my return home and turned up all manner of delights
including a stash of weirdy albums at £3 a pop. I've never heard or seen any of them in the wild before so was happy again after my Scottish disappointment.

I also found a stash of odd singles, this one being the pick of the bunch

Head Gardener

With the open air car boots winding up for winter, though there is a local one determined to carry on until the end of November,
I have had all sorts of records turn up near the turnips (possibly) including these flexi-discs I found out in the fields, no really.

Chris Gunning has been involved in hundreds of musical projects since the 60's from film scores (Man About The House) to working
with artists as diverse as The Gods, The Hollies and Cilla Black, however on this disc he threw his skills into an egg advertising campaign.

This is sadly not the hostess of 60's TV show Ready Steady Go talking about ghosts and spirits but hair colour, damn.

One white promo flexi for a German textile company oh yes, but there were apparently 2 discs in this original release, oh no!

This pretty gold disc came free with Isle of Man Colour Holiday Book and features excerpts from the LP The Wonderful World of Man which I still have somewhere...

The great voice of 70's kids TV show Animal Magic plugs the long defunct holiday firm.

Brian Matthew has an enviable discography for voicing flexis on Discogs but not this one, so it must be worth a lot then!

Another giant of the free flexi-disc voice over, Jack usually worked for Readers Digest but here he adds his dulcet tones to help sell Websters Universal Colour Dictionary.

A disc from the late 60's promoting the famous beer, which is still getting folk pissed and singing since 1829 bless 'em.

Released in the early 80's to promote one of their finest albums this features four excerpts including the lovely title track

(NWS image removed)

Head Gardener

These are not mine but I just noticed the worlds smallest record has just sold for £400 - I assume they are 78's!
https://gripsweat.com/item/303142632686/very-rare-worlds-smallest-record-hmv

and you would probably need to pay £800+ for the worlds smallest record player

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

It would have to be a fucking good record.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

I found this 5" blue flexi promoting a radio station in Norwich, released in 1984 I'm sure Alan Partridge would approve!

Head Gardener

I picked up some nice and unusual 7"s in a couple of charity shops this week some familiar and several I'd never heard of before, including these demos.

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBqiC5ox8Bw

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEu1gPPNHFA

Some other odds and ends

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzRyooj9Y68

listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4fjImpefA

more info

more info

more info

buzby

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 07, 2019, 04:53:35 PM

Interesting - it was recorded on the Sony PCM-1, which was the first consumer-grade A-D/D-A converter released in 1976.

It worked to the then-current 14-bit 44khz standard developed by the Japanese electronics industry (Sony were not happy with this and would later push Philips into adopting 16-bit resolution for the CD standard, and used it on the PCM-F1, the PCM-1's replacement, released in 1981). It used a U-Matic (and later Beta or VHS) VCR as the tape transport.

Head Gardener

I found this old daily sales and purchases book for one (of three) 2nd hand shops in Wolverton, Milton Keynes circa 1978/79 that my dad ran at my
mums house yesterday and I have not seen it for over 40 years. I worked there in my early teens and yes, I was paid in records, I guess this is where
my vinyl passion started. It's a selected snap-shot of the sales and purchases in the shop from a time before car boots and charity shops and I just wish
there were photos of them, they ran from 1973 to 1980.

a grim day...

poodlefaker

What are Embassy? Not cigs if a thousand cost a quid?

Head Gardener

Quote from: poodlefaker on December 02, 2019, 04:29:43 PM
What are Embassy? Not cigs if a thousand cost a quid?

coupons that came in the packets back then, they could be used to buy toys, furniture and of course records!

Head Gardener

Some vinyl finds from the last week or so, I went to Scotland last weekend so it's not hard to guess which ones I found up there!

This caught my eye in a charity shop in Arbroath as it had a track called Bagpipe Rock - which sadly turned out to be more Bagpipe Jazz, it's just awful.

Film producers are looking for a Scottish James Bond  to replace Daniel Craig so maybe one of these guys could be considered?
then again perhaps not.

Sleeve redacted for health and safety reasons, obviously.

Lush covers of Elvis tunes, really nice to listen to on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hffgdehc0E&feature=youtu.be

More easy listening but a bit more upbeat.

Jake making a stab for the Xmas #1 in 1967

I only realised who this was after playing it, why it's Judie Tzuke! before she did her solo thing,
it's the same song but a different version to the one on her great debut album a few years later.

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPo5OysNViA

oi gotta brand new football record and I got it for free, ooh arr

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo7YnsDtvmY&feature=youtu.be

Best vinyl find of the week isn't actually a record at all as it's completely blank and unplayable, instead it has etchings around the label,
and was only available to staff & special visitors to the EMI Distribution Centre Open Day in May 1977 and the Queens Silver Jubilee.

A rare case of the cover being better than the original.

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujb4Mcme18s

A single-sided record promoting Fabergé products with old ITV World Of Sport presenter Dickie Davies doing a bit of chat on the end,
there were only yellow vinyl copies pressed according to legend (Discogs) so this red one must be as collectibles as an A&M God Save The Queen.

King Kenny plugging the other soft drink on this 1973 flexi-disc.

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exJsbN3o6jo

Mmmm... shunting

Head Gardener

I only popped out to get some last minute booze and in town I saw there were two charity shops open on Christmas eve,
so had a bit of a dig and came up trumps with a booze related flexi-disc and in really nice nick, a sweet treat to myself.

the prize was one of these Achoic "Achiphon" Stereo Projection Systems, they cost £70 then which is over £900 in today's money,
so they were pretty top of the range for 1966.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 24, 2019, 01:25:29 PM
That looks in mint condition

that's what you could have won if you were one of only ten lucky winners

Head Gardener

Vinyl finds over new year in the Dundee area charity shops and Northamptonshire farm shops (!?)

There was no way on this gods earth I wasn't going to throw 50p at this beauty!

This was the pick of a whole bunch of Polish albums on the Sutton Sound imprint, many of which had interesting sleeves.

A nice pair of Stooges 7"s in a record shop in Dundee for £2 a pop!

Released in the early 70's it consists of spoken word reports from people who had been in Burundi and had witnessed some of the horrors,
it doesn't make for comfortable listening.

Disco Floyd!

listen

Along with the bales of hay and dead pheasants there were records to discover, including...

A bluesy one from 1968 which I had never come across before, love the sleeve art more than the music to be honest.

listen

Tales of woe, sample lyrics of the title track

It was Thursday the first of November, 1956 was the year
From Springhill, Nova Scotia, the sad news we did hear
An explosion there did happen, at the entrance to the mine
To save the lives of those within, it was a race with time

Well over a hundred miners were trapped in Colliery four
And hope of their survival grew dimmer by the hour
Wives and families huddled 'round the pithead in the cold
The tears they shed, the prayers they said, can never be retold...

An acetate for an un-released album by accordion maestro Marcosignori, I actually have a couple of his other albums
so knew what I was getting into with my one pound purchase, this later album below was even released on Parlophone.

I was kindly sent a copy of this excellent new album this week by the chap who has recorded a couple of sessions for my show.

listen

Head Gardener

As well as the records these were a bunch of the cassette tapes I picked up at the weekend.

Sebastian Cobb

Did ok at a record fair today, shouldn't have bought the Bush repress as I found an original for less at another stall. Apart from that these were on the list to get if I saw them at some point.

Head Gardener

I'm getting rid of loads of stuff at the record fair in the Craufurd Arms in Wolverton, Milton Keynes next Sunday lunchtime

Noddy Tomkey

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 18, 2020, 01:29:29 PM
shouldn't have bought the Bush repress as I found an original for less at another stall.

Couldn't you have sold the repress back to the seller, or would the likely price make that untenable?

Sebastian Cobb

I doubt it would be worth the bother.

Head Gardener

I found a whole load of Polish and Eastern European flexi discs yesterday, lots of artists I'd never heard of
and many of the Polish card discs have bizarre pictures totally unrelated to the music, this is the pick of the bunch.

a curiously familiar logo

T.Rex/Diana Ross

Pussycat (famous for that Mississippi song)

the UK's Eurovision Song Contest titans

only the band The Beatles could have been

Frank Sinatra

funk n soul double header

Adamo

Austrian promo for coal briquettes!

Kiki I Pearly

The Jacksons

Tom Jones/The Hollies

Billy Joel

Lenin speeches from 1919

Boney M

Brotherhood of Man (again)

erm...

Head Gardener

As well as lots of flexis finding their way into my racks recently I also came across an unusual market stall
with boxes and boxes of 7"s for a £1 a pop. I picked out all sorts of things which were hit and miss but I kinda
went with my gut feeling rather than knowledge as several of them I'd not seen before.

Belgian

Funky & Jazzy

Daphne Oram & Vera Gray EP from 1962

Miles & Coltrane play Monk

Acid Pysch from 1970

Martin (Williams) & Derrick (Morgan) released in 1962 (still in stunning condition)

early 60's beat group on a label I'd never seen before

produced the same year Jeff Wayne released his own War Of The Worlds

tatty sleeve / lovely disc

this never had a hope in heck of ever troubling the charts, it would have been nice to see the vid on TOTP though

Hong Kong EP from '64 by 張露 obviously

specially etched / one sided debut

Head Gardener

I popped round to see an old lady about some records in a small village this afternoon and and she said, "ooh would you like to see my old cars?"
Now I know nowt about cars but TWO Rolls Royces!! bloody hell you just never know what folks tuck away, the records were rubbish unfortunately.

Head Gardener

Most of these I picked up yesterday on a trip up north (to Wellingborough and Kettering) but some came from Scotland last week

UK issue of a US TV comedy show that ran from '68 to '73, but it hasn't aged that well

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlsQFUtMDvI[/video]

On first impressions this looked pretty grim but is actually OK (cheesy good) but Ray is sadly no relation to the drummer with Budgie
and confusingly signs himself Phil on the rear of the sleeve.

A great double helping of beer related songs and poems released in 1977.

A jazzy film score from 1966.

This is the blue version of the same LP (which I think I already have) that has a yellow sleeve, this one is in better nick.

I love finding things like this I've never seen before, this is an in-store promo only compilation from 1972
that has it's own stand on the back to place it on the shop counter and a sterling selection of tracks.

Unfortunately this has a tatty sleeve but the 10" disc is nice, hard to find in any condition to be honest.

Not surprisingly this turned up in Scotland, it's a promo 7" singing the virtues of Dundee in the coming age
of technological enterprise to a minimal/ synth-pop backdrop, the only ever release on Tay Records niiice.

Another find north of the border was this bluesy single and 4 years before that Swedish band stole their name.

Sounds wise this pair of 60's Decca Phase 4 albums were pretty much the finds of the week, if only for the great covers!

Head Gardener

A nice Jazz score at a local antique shop yesterday and some super sevens in a job lot over in Kettering

All priced at £3 a pop and some real gems in there too, guy said he just wanted rid of the lot but I spent over £150 just by picking.

The sleeve on this one should have just said 'classic warning'

I never even knew this existed, it came out before the Beserkley release a couple of years later

odds n ends

It came with the original insert, ahhh

Head Gardener

found this cool little record sleeve, sold with a piece of gum in the shape of a record - sadly eaten but this is only 2" square

buzby

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 06, 2020, 02:04:23 PM

It came with the original insert, ahhh
Tor Line operated the 'Triangle' North Sea route between Gothenburg, Immingham (later Felixstowe) and Amsterdam which formed the basis for the infamous BBC TV series. The first series was filmed on one of their vessels, but by the second series they had been taken over by DFDS. It was also the same route that The JAMs took to get to Gothenburg on their mission to hand over the master tape of '1987' to ABBA.

The title referring to the MS Tor Anglia and the insert listing their UK base being Immingham means the record dates from between the start of the operation in 1966 and 1976, when the MS Tor Anglia was sold (replaced by the MS Tor Scandinavia, on which the first series of Triangle was filmed) and their UK base moved to Felixstowe.