Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:38:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Treating NPC's as People

Started by eluc55, March 14, 2013, 07:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Cerys on January 19, 2020, 11:51:19 AM
Next stop - Wabbajacking essential characters into sweetrolls and eating the immortal fuckers.

That's genius level messing around. I hope Ulfric is tasty.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 26, 2013, 12:12:46 AM
I don't really care about how Tonton Zola Moukoko feels about his Champo fame.

His name came up on a contact list at work recently, which was bizarre.

On the subject of Swedish FM legends, my old flat overlooked Hammarby's training ground so I'd regularly catch a glimpse of Kennedy Bakircioglu's instantly recognisable Zidane+ barnet as he practiced his lethal free kicks.

Cerys

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on January 19, 2020, 12:51:05 PM
That's genius level messing around. I hope Ulfric is tasty.

Sadly he's already dead.  And draped on his throne to be sat on by his replacement.

samadriel

I found the NPCs in Half Life to be quite obnoxious, so I made it a policy to kill every single one of them after they'd served their purpose, and bludgeon their corpse into chunks. I was tickled at the thought of the marines or some clean-up crew tracking Gordon and finding scientist/guard body parts scattered everywhere he'd been.

HL2's NPCs I found more endearing, and I developed a slight affection for that one shotgun-wielding female medic who is the same in every playthrough (she has a little scripted scene when you meet her, where she's trying to resuscitate someone). More generally, I once did a playthrough where I never let a rebel die (up until the shield generator at least), and I even somehow saved some soldiers who were meant to die in a scripted sequence.

In GTA, I usually try my best never to run down or shoot a pedestrian,  sort of role-playing being a villainous but sane man. I don't really care about pedestrians swearing at me or whatever, but if a driver inconveniences me, particularly when I'm trying to do something difficult, I will attempt to murder them with a rocket launcher or sniper rifle. Seeing the head of some out of control, panicky fuckwit who's just hit me with his car go pop in my sights is a sweet moment.

A bit off-topic, but as I typed that, I realised the smarts of Rockstar in scripting the death of your driver in the bank robbery mission in Vice City. They prime you to absolutely HATE that guy, having him demand that YOU beat HIM in a race, with a deeply inferior car; it is GLORIOUS seeing him get killed, even though it's just meant to put you behind the wheel instead.

bgmnts

Can anyone kill animals in games? When I have to I do but it still absolutely kills me.

Even humans now I struggle with.

samadriel

I feel bad killing endangered species like tigers and cassowaries, so Tomb Raider and Far Cry can be a bit unfortunate.

Cerys

I generally can't unless it's in self-defence.  Hence all the foxes, deer and bunnies still roaming the sandbox.   Last night I reloaded my game several times because the noble I was murdering kept deflecting the arrow into his horse unless I headshotted him.  Got him in the end, though.  Aristocratic cunt.

Thursday

Quote from: bgmnts on January 19, 2020, 03:26:33 PM
Can anyone kill animals in games? When I have to I do but it still absolutely kills me.

Even humans now I struggle with.

They're not real.

Hope this helps.

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on January 19, 2020, 03:26:33 PM

I come over all AA Gill and shoot every single baboon to death on Animal Crossing.

Cerys

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on January 19, 2020, 12:51:05 PM
That's genius level messing around.

It might be if it bloody worked.  So far all that's happened is elemental attacks.  Phooey.

Cloud

Holy thread necro batman

Yeah I can't help seeing them as real either.  Fallout 3 had the catalyst in the form of the karma system but any of them really, if it's possible to be nice I'm being nice to them... the Witcher games make this awkward with all the tough choices they force you into!

Ambient Sheep

This thread is... startling and insightful.  A view into worlds I barely knew existed and will probably never have the chance to properly discover.

I love the Mockingbird story the best, I think.  There was a time in my life when that would have so been me.

Utter Shit

A guy who plays for my football team casually mentioned recently that when he played the torture scene in GTA5 he imagined he was doing it to a guy who bullied him at school.

In RDR2 I play with a sort of cynical decency - if someone asks for my help I'll usually offer it, but I'm always ready to blow them away if I think it's a trap. Animals though...unless it's strictly necessary I won't kill them. Whenever I accidentally trample a rabbit or other small animal under my horse I feel bad for a bit.

Actually that reminds me - the other day I went up to the marsh place with the plan of killing and skinning an alligator. I expected a thrilling, high octane back and forth with likely bloodshed on both sides, but when I got there a big lad was asleep. I shot him in the head and skinned him, but felt like a bit of a cunt about it. Didn't seem fair. I also read this morning that there are only 20 albino alligators left in the world - I'm sure I read that you are tasked with killing one in RDR2, not sure I'll be doing that.

Cerys

Guilt is creeping in.  I just married Vilkas, then murdered all the remaining Companions before going home and sending a couple of arrows through him as he sat by the fire.  His corpse may or may not vanish.  Did I do a bad thing?

Jim Bob

Quote from: Cerys on January 22, 2020, 01:06:52 AM
Guilt is creeping in.  I just married Vilkas, then murdered all the remaining Companions before going home and sending a couple of arrows through him as he sat by the fire.  His corpse may or may not vanish.  Did I do a bad thing?

Ah, so you're roleplaying as the black widow class.

Cerys

Not really - more a murder the almighty fuck out of everybody class.

touchingcloth

In Half Life 2 there's a character who looks a bit Brexit, so I take to going up to him and shouting "get it done" sarcastically, except there's no microphone in that game so I just have to type it into the console.

Custard

This thread is brilliant. Especially loved the Football Manager stories

Getting a suit from the charity shop ASAP

Dewt

I love having little grudges etc. with NPCs

Just issue a fatwa on some shit-AI cunt.

Really looking forward to picking some enemies and best friends ever in the new Animal Crossing. I don't give if it's shit as long as I can single those fuckers out.

bgmnts

There should be an Insurance Fraud Simulator© where you can take out insurance on people and things and then kill them, making it look like an accident. Then i'd murder NPCs with reckless abandon.

Dewt

Hide that game idea bgmnts, it's fucking gold.

Camp Tramp

The NPCs in Football Manager 2011 got their revenge on me.

I was a ruthless boss. If a player lost form, I would shuffle him out to the reserves and sell him at the earliest opportunity.
I had taken Lydney Town from the amateur leagues (I used an English non=league mod) to four times premier league, once Champions League winner. I wanted to leave on a high, so when it came to renew my contract, I didn't sign. I wanted to win the league then retire.

Lydney Town just sacked me, no fanfare, no fuss, not even any thanks for me making them a European powerhouse. They just sacked me and brought in Guardiola.

samadriel

Quote from: bgmnts on January 22, 2020, 05:10:06 PM
There should be an Insurance Fraud Simulator© where you can take out insurance on people and things and then kill them, making it look like an accident. Then i'd murder NPCs with reckless abandon.

Sounds better than the SRIV insurance fraud minigame. https://youtu.be/nhMMAYvDYds

bgmnts

Yeah! I remember the Saints Row ragdoll physic insurance fraud side mission!

In my head this is more of a puzzle game or something.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 20, 2020, 10:17:14 AMI also read this morning that there are only 20 albino alligators left in the world - I'm sure I read that you are tasked with killing one in RDR2, not sure I'll be doing that.

FYI: Albino alligators are not a separate species, they arise when an alligator is born with a mutation that prevents it producing melanin. This happens randomly and albinism can occur in pretty much any animal species. Albino animals tend not to survive very long in the wild as they lack the camouflage needed to hunt prey, hide from predators or protect their young, and they are also more prone to UV damage and usually have problems with vision. Albino wild animals are therefore mostly found in zoos, where they've been captured and put on display.

In other words, just go ahead and shoot the fucker.

Blue Jam

On the subject of RDR2: I took some care choosing a very dapper outfit, with a long red coat and matching hat. I felt like The Doctor riding around in that... for all of five minutes, before someone rode by and shouted "I wouldn't be seen dead dressed like that...". I was going for the maximum honor achievement at the time but I'm still angry with myself that I didn't chase after him, hogtie him and leave him on a railroad track to get decapitated by the 13.17 to Valentine. Scruffy twat.

Once I had maximum honor though I did enjoy tormenting one NPC in Saint Denis, some poor sod whose delivery wagon had lost a wheel outside the mayor's house, I think. I did enjoy telling him "I've seen mushrooms with bigger brains... and more personality... and they didn't smell as bad..."

I also wish I'd shot Gavin's mate when I'd had the chance.

Just got GTA V on Game Pass, think I'm just going to be a complete dick in that.

Chollis

Rockstar games in particular bring out the bloodlust in me.

Dinged my wing mirror? One in the skull.
Innocuous comment as I walk past? One in the skull.
Simply riding by in your wagon minding your own business? One in the skull.
Mission completion reliant on NPC staying alive? Mission failed, one in the skull.
Double the bounty if I bring them in alive? Skull.

Chollis

The absolute worst was in GTA when someone ran you over. You're fucking running me over, in Grand Theft Auto? Outcomes in this scenario:

- snipe them through the back window as they drive off (difficult)
- jack another car ASAP, catch them before they disappear, crash them, pull them out and beat them to death (satisfying)
- jack another car but you lose them (put controller through TV)

bgmnts

In hindsight the treatment of prostitutes was notoriously awful.