Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:54:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'InAPPropriate Comedy', and why doesn't LOLOFFENSIVE shit just fuck off?

Started by BritishHobo, March 18, 2013, 05:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

So I just discovered that this exists. 'InAPPropriate Comedy', a shit thing starring Rob Schneider. And it was immediately hateful to me on at least three levels before I even saw the trailer. Wikipedia describes it as a film whose 'style of comedy is based purely on being offensive'[nb]'and thus the target audience is almost entirely younger than 13'[/nb], and which has a shit framing device, this one based around smartphone apps.

So it's basically Movie 43. And, although that thankfully got a worse reception than the time I let an Asian person drive the time I offered a black person some fried chicken the breasts breasts breasts breasts breasts vaginas breasts, I started to wonder why adult human beings are making this stuff. Do they actually think it's funny? Or is it just a shameless attempt to pander to the Sickipedia generation, that hopefully leaves them all feeling dead inside at the end of the work day?

Because... well, the main question is, why is the humour that people are so desperate to sell as offensive, actually the most trite, overdone, safe shit that you could think of? They sell it as edginess, ooh, it's not PC, don't watch this if you're easily offended... and then it's just 'HA HA BLACK PEOPLE LIKE BASKETBALL AND FRIED CHICKEN'[nb]thinking of Movie 43's painfully reinforced and extended joke about black people being good at basketball, repeating the joke at least four times and getting slower and blunter every time until it was literally just somebody saying 'you are black and so you are good at basketball!' - and that was just the clip of the scene that they showed in the trailer[/nb] and 'ASIANS SUCK AT DRIVING LOL' and 'ROFLMAOLOL WE'RE TALKING ABOUT BUMS AND WILLIES AND THERE'S NAKED BOOBIES'. It would be tedious enough if it were just the fact that it only exists to be 'offensive', but it's also the fact that the 'offensive' humour inevitably turns out to be the sort of thing that even Reddit would look at and scoff[nb]not true, they're apeshit for the 'black people fried chicken basketball watermelon' word association game[/nb].

What is it with this shit? Do the people involved in these sorts of things actually think they're being nail-bitingly edgy with this shit? When you watch the start of that trailer, and you see a guy say a line that makes no sense, just to get the word 'gay' in there, followed by some people waving big inflatable cocks around, you have to think... you know... if extraterrestrial life exists, I hope that they hurry up and fucking kill us all.

BritishHobo

As a side note, is there any good comedy coming out any time soon? It all looks a bit grim on the horizon, from what I can find.

Famous Mortimer

Firstly, it's Rob Schneider. A man who, without his friendship to Adam Sandler, would be blowing people in bus stations for spare change. A man who managed to make Chris Kattan funny, whose last TV series (produced by Sandler, natch) was just one joke – wow, wouldn't it be funny if a white guy married into a Mexican family! And it failed miserably.

I'd guess this film would have been nothing more than a joke which Schneider and his friends would use to amuse themselves with over a beer – "hey, what's the foulest sketch idea you can think of?" were it not for the hugely wealthy production-company-owning friend he has. So, I wouldn't worry too much about this being the end of society – it will fail miserably, and hopefully, eventually, people will stop wanting to give him chances to make films. Saying that, Andy Dick is still starrin in (admittedly, zero budget) films, so maybe there's no hope for us. 

Famous Mortimer

Nope, just a fan of Steve Albini, who used a very similar phrase to describe Urge Overkill many years ago.

El Unicornio, mang

I quite like comedy films like Withnail & I and National Lampoon's Vacation which are totally un-PC (although the scene in the latter where they end up in a black neighbourhood and get their rims stolen really is pretty racist and ill-judged) but modern ones being purposefully offensive I don't have much time for. I can't say I've ever been offended by a Rob Scheider film, other than them being terrible, though.

Yep, that's looks bloody awful.

Worth a quick look at the career of the auteur behind this dross http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Offer as well as a glimpse at the synopsis of his previous opus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Underground_Comedy_Movie.

Bleak.

bigfatheart

I remember reading about the Underground Comedy Movie - it has a parody of Randy Newman's 'I Love L.A.' entitled 'I Hate L.A.', except since the original song's satirical itself it pretty much ends up stating the point of the original, only with any subtlety or trust in the audience's intelligent removed. If you're a satirist the target of your satire shouldn't have outwitted you before you've even opened your mouth. That shouldn't happen. That's bad satire.

Also, according to Wikipedia it has music by Guttermouth, who are one of the worst bands I've ever heard and who, aptly enough, fit under this 'we're un-PC but we're trying so hard that it just ends up embarrassing' banner. I've always felt that there's nothing wrong with non-PC humour, but when you go out of your way to be deliberately non-PC and to piss people off then your first priority isn't to be funny, which immediately hinders the comedy. It's not really a good road to go down.

Long story short: This will be shit.

Noodle Lizard

My friend informed me that this was written and directed by a former TV salesman (in the vein of Billy Mays).  This guy to be precise:

He apparently also punched a hooker.

BritishHobo

I wrote out a long post about how depressing it is that his infomercial products are being plugged in the trailer and the film, but then I stumbled across this post whilst looking for something else:

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 13, 2012, 07:48:03 PM
Quote from: Utter Shit on December 13, 2012, 02:56:05 PM
Get a Slap Chop. I am all about the Slap Chop right now.

https://slapchop.com/

Seems to be advertised by a terrifying prick, don't let that put you off.
That fella is amazing, I could listen to him talk forever.

Eurgh. I wonder how many other people he's suckered in by pretending he's not a shit cunt.

BritishHobo

I just noticed this is on Netflix, and I have absolutely nothing better to do with my time. What a sad state of affairs.

Essentially it's just shit sketches, but in-between each one, a guy underground taps on an app icon to start it. There's no substance to any of them beyond a barely-formed idea based on the conceit that something is offensive. Ha ha it's Blackass, it's Jackass but they're black!!!! Ha ha it's Flirty Harry, it's Dirty Harry except he's gay and keeps talking about taking cocks up the arse! Ha ha it's The Amazing Racist, it's The Amazing Race except the host keeps talking about immigrants stealing jobs!

But it doesn't even take those horrible ideas anywhere. Blackass is just some black people rolling down a hill in a dumpster and falling in some sewage. Flirty Harry is just Rob Schneider talking to a police chief about sucking dicks. The Amazing Racist is literally just a man standing at a gas station saying generically racist things to people.

I know, these things are really easy targets, but shit me it's incredible how witless it is. And Michelle Rodriguez is in this. Michelle fucking Rodriguez. Is she really that hard up?

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Unfortunately due to America's history with race, we are doomed to endure anaesthetised studio-approved race stereotype comedy and casual misogyny from them probably all our lives. Like you, I long for it to evolve into a non-issue, or even more ambitious, something slightly more sophisticated.

Thanks to the fake twitter outrage machine we have new censors, even more reactionary and conservative than the executives who OK this shit. It's a bad time to be in.

And what are Britain doing- close to nothing as far as I can make out? Their self-aggrandizing 'talent factory' is dry, it's just the same spin cycle 'talents' being written demographic-approved lines by hack writers for cash. A turn of the head in any direction proves this.

The last funny film I saw was directed by a fucking 71 year old, and had more verve guts and bravado than all this lot.

BlodwynPig