Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:21:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

John 4, George 3

Started by VegaLA, March 19, 2013, 03:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

I'm not counting 'The Thing' or 'Day of the Dead'. One was a prequel, the other a complete mess.

So, another one of Johns Classics is getting the remake treatment, 'Escape from New York'.

http://www.horrorsociety.com/2013/03/18/john-carpenters-escape-from-new-york-getting-the-remake-treatment-from-joel-silver/

Joel Silver is involved and although I have nothing against remakes I can't picture anyone but Kurt as Snake.

Who would YOU cast as Mr. Plissken? The article mentions some obvious names but I bet we can do better.

phantom_power

Gerard Butler would be a fucking awful Plissken. He is fucking awful in anything he does but especially so here. Renner wouldn't be right either. Hardy is a possibility but I would choose Sam Rockwell. He could do the gritty charm thing in his sleep. Saying that I would pick Rockwell for any film role.

biggytitbo

Nicholas Lyndhurst should be given a chance imho.

SteveDave

Ryan fucking Reynolds. Using a slightly altered version of the character he played in Blade 3.

Funcrusher

God, why??!!  John Carpenter was probably my favorite director when I was a nipper, and I still have a huge amount of affection for his early films today. The fact that his subsequent efforts are best forgotten can never detract from the greatness of his best films. The 'Assault on Precinct 13' remake (my fave Carpenter flick) was just typical of what's wrong with these crapfests - the well worked plotting replaced by random things blowing up and a total failure to understand what elements made the original so appealing. At best this film will be pointless. It surely won't have a better piece of title music, one of Carpenter's very best. Death to everyone involved in this.

phantom_power

Romero has definitely come out better in the remakes stakes. Night of the Living Dead was a solid if perfunctory remake, Dawn of the Dead and The Crazies are actually good films in their own right. The less said about Day of the Dead the better though

BlodwynPig

There has already been a remake

Bad Ambassador

VegaLA

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 20, 2013, 09:10:58 AM
There has already been a remake

Aha....'Bronx Warriors'. Saw that again last Summer and caught up on 'Warriors of the Wasteland' this past weekend, love those Italian poco movies shot in NYC's finest shit areas, triffic viewing.

Paaaaul

The Thing was clearly a remake despite what was claimed.  It has an identical structure to the Carpenter version with a couple of extra bits to make it look like a prequel.

I only watched the first 30 minutes of last year's Lockout, but that seemed like it was pretty much a remake of EFNY, only with a space prison instead of New York and the President's daughter instead of The President. Having said that, the only decent thing about the film was Guy Pearce, who did a pretty decent turn as a sarky piss-taking action hero in the vein of prime-era Bruce Willis. So I wouldn't be averse to him taking the lead role, though the similarities between the two films might rule him out. Possibly not a big enough marquee name for it too[nb]in an ideal world he would be. Guy Pearce is ace.[/nb]

I remember a couple of years ago there were plans for a EFNY reboot and Gerard Butler was mooted for Plissken  then too. Kurt Russell said at the time that he'd prefer the role to be played by an American. A bit small-minded maybe, but he's Kurt Russell so we should listen to him. I'm struggling to think of a modern equivalent of him. The first name that popped into my head for someone who'd be good was (don't laugh) CM Punk, but that's highly unlikely.

VegaLA

Quote from: Stone Cold Jane Austen on March 20, 2013, 05:55:09 PM
I remember a couple of years ago there were plans for a EFNY reboot and Gerard Butler was mooted for Plissken  then too. Kurt Russell said at the time that he'd prefer the role to be played by an American.

After the Superman casting I imagine Hollywood would want to keep some American Icons American. That said I would love to see Guy in the role, and yeah, he does deserve more beefy Hollywood roles, count me as a fan.

phantom_power

I thought Lockout was great fun. Joe Gilgun had a ball as one of the baddies and Pearce was indeed great. Silly as balls but enjoyable regardless

babyshambler

I can't be the only one to rate Day of the Dead, surely?

phantom_power

Quote from: babyshambler on March 20, 2013, 08:23:51 PM
I can't be the only one to rate Day of the Dead, surely?

The remake?

VegaLA

Quote from: phantom_power on March 21, 2013, 08:36:09 AM
The remake?

Remake? It was the worst possible title tie-in in history. There was what...maybe two character names from the original used? The 'story' was as far from the original as possible. Originally I think Rubinstein was going to be involved, and it looked like they were going to continue where the 'Dawn' remake left off, but following the original storyline of Romero's 'Day', however somewhere along the way Rubinstein dropped off. Good for him.

Sorry, i'll let you answer now.