Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:22:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top Gear/TMBG

Started by Xander, July 15, 2004, 08:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xander

I may be exceedingly uncultured, or just plain dumb or dozy tonight, but where does the theme tune for "Top Gear" come from? I don't know if it's still the theme tune, but it was the classic one, you know, "Der der duh der der deh der der, deh deh deh derrrrrrrrrr", if that helps. The reason I ask is that I've just been listening to They Might Be Giants clockradio, and a song came on, entitled "Jessica", that was exactly the same as the Top Gear theme tune. Is it a popular tune? Am I being stupid? I genuinely can't remember.

It'll probably be one of those "...ahhhh, of course!" answers.

gazzyk1ns

It's a Fleetwood Mac tune... lemme Google... yep, the intro from a song of theirs called "The Chain" apparently.

Xander

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"It's a Fleetwood Mac tune... lemme Google... yep, the intro from a song of theirs called "The Chain" apparently.

Aaaahhh....of course. I presumed it was a Led Zeppelin/White Snake/Thin Lizzy/some random band riff. Thanks for placing it for me.

gazzyk1ns

Hehe no probs, for me it was one of those questions I'd heard the answer to many times but couldn't quite remember it, so it placed it for me too.

Lady Beany

Fuckit!  I now have the theme tune in my head!  Damn my fingers for clicking me into this thread!

Hypnotoad.

Sorry for interjecting with a Daily Mail letters page-esque comment, but the old BBC themes were the best ever, and I'm gutted they were either gotten rid of altogether, or "modernised"

Formula 1 - Ace or what???
Snooker - Modernised - yuck
Golf - Modernised - yuck

Hypnotoad.

blue canary in the outlet by the lightswitch, who watches over you, make a little birdhouse in your soul, not to put too finer point on it, say, i'm the only bee in your bonnet

I am shocked I can still remember that lyric

peet

Quote from: "Homer J"Formula 1 - Ace or what???
Hmm I always thought that one was from 'The Chain' not the Top Gear music? Maybe they were both from the same song.

WoShade

Shurely the Allman Bros?

Ski Sunday was always pleasant.

Xander

Quote from: "Homer J"blue canary in the outlet by the lightswitch, who watches over you, make a little birdhouse in your soul, not to put too finer point on it, say, i'm the only bee in your bonnet

You shouldn't be, and you should seek out more TMBG forthwith! I can (probably very sadly) sing along with the vast majority of their songs.

gazzyk1ns

Change of plan, as WoShade said, it appears to be "Jessica" by The Allman Brothers, whoever they are. I did Google before as I said but a stupid ringtone site told me wrongly, The Chain was indeed from the F1 when it was on BBC, it seems. Apologies for that.

Hehe and before anyone asks, the theme from the old Vauxhall ads was Layla by Eric Clapton.

Xander

That does infinitely make more sense. It explains why a TMBG cover was called, shockingly, the same as the original. It's fine. I get them all mixed up in my head anyway. It was not as much of a "aaahhh....of course" than I thought it'd be, then!

Frinky

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"The Allman Brothers, whoever they are.

Gah!

weekender

"Jessica" by The Allman Brothers.

Confirmed.  I won't bother you with the details of how I know, because they're very uninteresting, but that tune/artist combo is definitely correct.

gazzyk1ns

Yup, also Frinky, Ghostbusters 2 was better than the original, DeLoreans are rubbish, and Sophie Ellis Bextor is ugly.

Hehe I can't say that without confirming that I don't genuinely believe any of that...

the hum

Quote from: "Homer J"
Snooker - Modernised - yuck

It is indeed now cack.  Does anyone know who did this tune (originally)?  I sort of half assumed it might have been a piece of library music, but the riff is surely too good for it to have been done by any old somebody.

Similarly I recall the theme for the BBC's bowls coverage was rather good (indeed the only interesting thing about it's bowls coverage).  Sort of acousticy number.  Nice.

Rats

http://www.zen26454.zen.co.uk/thunderbird.mp3
there's a newer giants song for homer, rock the hell out

Frinky

Nah, I find the Allmans deadly dull, but they are tremendously well known... 60's/70's stoner blues, I guess.

The only reason I actually know much about them is becuase I've had to a couple of articles on Duane Allman's Les Pauls.

I don't rate them, but I am very suprised you'd never heard of them. I'd assumed that they were one of those bands that, regardless of your tastes, you knew of.

gazzyk1ns

My dad, who is 54, hasn't heard of them either! He knows the Top Gear theme though.

EDIT: Neither have 3 mates, was just on the phone and got the opportunity to ask. I daren't tell them "someone on the internet asked" though.

Frinky

Hmmm, maybe they were never big here, then.

As a guitarist (ha!) I guess I was more likely to be exposed to them.

easytarget

Quote from: "the hum"
It is indeed now cack.  Does anyone know who did this tune (originally)?

Popular comedian Bill Bailey claims it was Nirvana (if memory serves), then goes on to demonstrate how the rest of the tune goes.
However, this may be a joke.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "the hum"I sort of half assumed it might have been a piece of library music, but the riff is surely too good for it to have been done by any old somebody.

Hey...Watch it!!! Some very distinguished composers have written library music...Brian Eno, for example.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Frinky"Hmmm, maybe they were never big here, then.

As a guitarist (ha!) I guess I was more likely to be exposed to them.

Nah maybe it's just us lot being ignorant, hehe might be one for the "Obvious things you've just realised" thread!

qki

The BBC snooker theme is called "Drag Racer", by the Doug Wood Band.

Guitarists amongst you can get the tab for it here

Frinky

Duane Allman (dead), the Cherryburst 1958 Les Paul, and the Darkburst 1959 Les Paul known to him as Hot 'Lanta. Bane of my life.

Bogey

Quote from: "Xander"
Quote from: "Homer J"blue canary in the outlet by the lightswitch, who watches over you, make a little birdhouse in your soul, not to put too finer point on it, say, i'm the only bee in your bonnet

You shouldn't be, and you should seek out more TMBG forthwith! I can (probably very sadly) sing along with the vast majority of their songs.

A They Might Be Giants music video.
"Experimental Film"
Watch it with your eyes.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "qki"The BBC snooker theme is called "Drag Racer", by the Doug Wood Band.
All they've done to 'remix' it is to plonk the fat tambouriney breakbeat from Hot Pants by Bobby Byrd over it.

the hum

Quote from: "qki"The BBC snooker theme is called "Drag Racer", by the Doug Wood Band.

Guitarists amongst you can get the tab for it here

Cool, cheers.