Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Danny Boyle

Started by Virgo76, March 27, 2013, 02:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Wow. Apparently the films Slumdog Millionaire and Trainspotting were both directed by the same person. He also oversaw last year's Olympic ceremony. He's called Danny Boyle. Has anyone else ever heard of him? It's surprising nobody on the radio, press or TV has thought about inviting him for an interview or something.

He was shit in Tramadol Nights.

Pete23

I liked his cover of that song from the Catwoman musical.

Jim_MacLaine

He's not been well recently and so had to cancel some gigs in mexico :(

Johnny Townmouse

I liked it when he wrote 'The Commitments'.

BritishHobo

I liked him as Ollie in The Thick of It.

Spiteface

I liked that 28 Days film he did with Sandra Bullock in it.

I liked Shallow Hal with Jack Black.

Nuclear Optimism

For the past few months every week there's been a new story about "something over which Danny Boyle nearly quit the Olympics". Because of penny pinching, because of sponsorship, because of those missiles on top of those flats...

He must have "nearly walked away, honest!" about a dozen times.

Johnny Townmouse

They don't call him Dead Kate Moss behind his back for nothing.

Blumf

Pursuant to that tag down there, when Danny does pop his clogs, will somebody be singing that at his funeral? I think they should. Yeah, that's something that should definitely happen. He should hurry up and die to make the dream come true.

Serge

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on March 27, 2013, 05:17:47 PMBest thing he was involved with:

I was so hoping that was going to link to the Inspector Morse Rave episode. I liked 'Shallow Grave' and 'Trainspotting' at the time, didn't like 'Life Less Ordinary' or '28 Days Later', haven't been arsed to watch anything else. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but his name is the cinematic equivalent of the words 'Produced By Danger Mouse' on an album - I can already feel myself slipping into slumber. There are suddenly posters for his new one all over the place, but even the fact that Vincent Cassel is in it isn't enough for me to bother.

Mini

I saw Trance earlier and loved it, it's up there with Sunshine. The first great film of 2013 that I've seen.

Virgo76

I actually do like him. Just incredibly overexposed currently. (None of the interviews mention his recent split from Rosario Dawson).
His new film doesn't look great though.
He's also in danger of expulsion from the "Looks a bit like Morrissey" club. He should stop ageing.
He's looking better than he did in Young Frankenstein though (BOOM BOOM).

billtheburger

Regarding Sunshine. As soon as they said the ship flying to the sun was called Icarus, I hated the film.

shiftwork2

Say what you like about Danny but I'm now very careful when out potholing.

madhair60

Quote from: billtheburger on March 28, 2013, 10:37:08 AM
Regarding Sunshine. As soon as they said the ship flying to the sun was called Icarus, I hated the film.

Hahaha! No fucking way!

KLG-7C

I haven't seen the film, but couldn't it be the writers thinking "This is the sort of thing that humans would call a ship flying to the sun, so we'll put that in" and not "Haha, you know what would be the cleverest ever, right? Calling a ship flying to the sun Icarus. Yeah, I know."?

billtheburger

It's actually Icarus II.

And I take your point about, "what man would call it" on the grounds of Titanic II

Petey Pate

References to Greek myths always go down a storm in our household.

checkoutgirl

He's a fucking immoral prick, taking money from gambling addicts via the medium of his betting shop chain. The cunt.

BritishHobo

Been quite nice to them Indian kids though.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Mini on March 27, 2013, 11:52:42 PM
I saw Trance earlier and loved it, it's up there with Sunshine. The first great film of 2013 that I've seen.

I'm debating whether to go and and see this or something else on saturday night. It's really good you say? I will trust a whore over the couple of mixed reviews I have read.

Nuclear Optimism

For ages I assumed Danny Boyle was Scottish. Turns out he isn't.

This is an interesting post isn't it?

checkoutgirl

This Boyle fella makes me sick!! What kind of man would disguise himself as a small town in County Roscommon  ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyle,_County_Roscommon

It's beyond a joke this!!

mobias

He turned down a nighthood recently so that gets him extra brownie points in my book. I like him. Favourite film, probably 127 Hours. Though the Begbie moments in Trainspotting are some of the best scenes in all cinema.

Kane Jones

Quote from: mobias on March 28, 2013, 08:05:32 PM
Though the Begbie moments in Trainspotting are some of the best scenes in all cinema.

Best? Most terrifying, certainly.

Queneau

I've been a massive Boyle fan for years, and rate the fella highly. Looking through his films there is an incredible range of styles. Encouraging people like Cottrell Boyce to write for children was great. Plus, he's a huge Underworld fan - a duo I think deserve a lot more attention. There are torrents floating around of his version of Frankenstein. Get on it!

Virgo76

The Underworld films go off a bit after the first one though.