Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:01:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Field in England

Started by Theremin, March 28, 2013, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theremin

It's Ben Wheatley's next film! Apparently already shot, and coming out this year.

Here's a Guardian article on it:

QuoteSet during the English civil war, the screenplay by Wheatley and his wife and regular creative partner Amy Jump centres on the aftermath of a large battle in which a group of deserters is captured by an alchemist (played by Kill List's Michael Smiley) and his henchman. The two force their captives to help them search for a hidden treasure they believe is buried in the field, but not until they have feasted on a vast patch of mushrooms.
QuoteA Field in England also features Sightseers' Richard Glover, The League of Gentlemen's Reece Shearsmith and The Mighty Boosh's Julian Barratt. It is the first project to be greenlit by Film4 as part of its Film4.0 talent and ideas hub.

It sounds very similar to 2010's Black Death, and is therefore right up my alley.

I really hope this, combined with Kill List, Black Death, and Wake Wood, manage to kickstart a Folk Horror revival.

checkoutgirl

I can't wait for this now that I've just heard about it. I loved Kill List and this will be ace for sure. Finally, a reason to go t'cinema.

Jemble Fred

Actually yes, that sounds very very watchable indeed. Can't beat a bit of 17th century cinematic nastiness.

Neville Chamberlain

Magnificent!

So when's it out then?!?

non capisco

Quote from: Theremin on March 28, 2013, 01:57:19 PM

That poster is so amazing I honestly don't know if the film can live up to it! Ben 'Kill List' Wheatley going all Witchfinder General with a design straight out of 1972! Fucking yes!

The sequence in 'Kill List' where Neil Maskell and Michael Smiley's characters are on stakeout in the woods and they hear that haunting melody faintly at first and then drawing closer and louder and then FUCKED UP SHIT HAPPENS...I don't often feel the same kind of unnerving gnawing sensation in my gut as I did when watching 'The Wicker Man' when I was about 14 whilst watching films today but that scene really chilled me. There's a debate to be had about the effectiveness of the film's climax but that scene taken in isolation is truly creepy. It haunted me for days.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: non capisco on March 29, 2013, 02:10:15 AM
That poster is so amazing I honestly don't know if the film can live up to it! Ben 'Kill List' Wheatley going all Witchfinder General with a design straight out of 1972! Fucking yes!

The poster is indeed incredible, and I can't wait for this. I'd say whoever designed it has a copy or two of this lying about the flat:

Jemble Fred

I'd seen the film title 'Kill List' bandied about many a time over the years, but not been intrigued... until now. Will have to find it, cheers.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: non capisco on March 29, 2013, 02:10:15 AM

The sequence in 'Kill List' where Neil Maskell and Michael Smiley's characters are on stakeout in the woods and they hear that haunting melody faintly at first and then drawing closer and louder and then FUCKED UP SHIT HAPPENS...I don't often feel the same kind of unnerving gnawing sensation in my gut as I did when watching 'The Wicker Man' when I was about 14 whilst watching films today but that scene really chilled me. There's a debate to be had about the effectiveness of the film's climax but that scene taken in isolation is truly creepy. It haunted me for days.

YES YES YES.

Incredibly excited.

babyshambler

That poster is very nice indeed. I am also looking forward to this.

I am unbelievably excited for this. Hopefully that poster is what it's actually marketed with on release. Probably not, but fingers crossed!

I remember hearing interviews a while back about this, and I swear it was originally going to be a short film? Is this being funded and developed from a short-film?
Or did I just imagine all this.
I swear Ben Wheatley described this as a short film in the Empire podcast back in November last year or somethin'.

Then again, the way he shoots (And edits shots together on the day), he can create compelling and arguably brilliant feature films in incredibly short production periods, so I guess why bother making short-films?

Just quickly re-listened to that interview. Apparently it's only really set in a single field[nb]Though he did let slip that they may have filmed in a secondary field. Clearly setting up audience expectations with the singular title so he can create yet ANOTHER polarising twist when the truth of the second field is revealed. [/nb] so I just incorrectly assumed it was a short-film.

And the interviewer does ask Ben Wheatley if he was influenced by Witchfinder General. He responded that it's only similar in that they're set in the same-period and
Spoiler alert
they've got very similar hats on.
[close]

Also, looking forward to seeing Julian Barratt in this. I genuinely think he's very good and want to see more of him, especially if it's a serious role. 
Not sure if many people here would agree on that though.

Jemble Fred

What, that Julian Barratt is okay at acting but should steer clear of comedy forever more? You'd be hard pushed to find anyone gainsaying that.

Busty

Quote from: Bored of Canada on April 01, 2013, 11:41:23 AM

Also, looking forward to seeing Julian Barratt in this. I genuinely think he's very good and want to see more of him, especially if it's a serious role. 
Not sure if many people here would agree on that though.

I'd pay money to see him decapitated. Is he decapitated in it?

Mini

Like everyone else I'm really looking forward to this, Ben Wheatley is surely one of the most exciting filmmakers right now.

El Unicornio, mang

A Lonely Place to Die is another one that you might like if you're into his type of films. I liked Kill List, kind of ambivalent about the ending though.

Mini

http://blog.film4.com/a-field-in-england-premieres-in-cinemas-and-on-film4-on-the-same-day/

A Field in England is to be the first UK film released simultaneously in cinemas, on TV, DVD and on demand - 5th July.

Lord Mandrake

No big fan of Kill list, certainly felt it's impact and originality. Sightseerers I had only minor irks with,  I get the sense that this will be terrific.

Blinder Data

Trailer! http://youtu.be/cRRvzjkzu2U

It looks stunning, mad. I'm looking forward to it quite a bit now.

Johnny Townmouse

Ok, consider my appetite to be well and truly whet. It looks to be a very low-key affair, just set in one area with a handful of actors. I guess I assumed it was going to be an epic Witchfinder General/Wicker Man affair. But it also looks fucking bonkers. If this plays out the way I imagine it will then Wheatley is shaping up to a bold and diverse director who is not prepared to be pigeon-holed.

Wet Blanket

Interesting[nb]Well it is to me[/nb] that the imaginary BBFC has rated his film AA and not X

Funcrusher

That looked a bit rubbish to me, the performances didn't seem that great, none of the lines were very memorable. Can't really tell based on the trailer, but it didn't look to be up to the standard of 'Black Death', which was only an okayish 'Witchfinder General'/ 'Wicker Man' knockoff.

Zetetic

Quote from: Wet Blanket on May 21, 2013, 03:26:06 PM
Interesting[nb]Well it is to me[/nb] that the imaginary BBFC has rated his film AA and not X
I've no idea what this means. Please give me a clue.

Blumf

Quote from: Zetetic on May 21, 2013, 07:13:46 PM
I've no idea what this means. Please give me a clue.

Refer to the picture in the first post then this

imitationleather

I guess it means the film is going to be a 15 certificate?

That ultra-crisp digital look never really lends itself to period films, but man, I'm still really looking forward to this.
Seems more like that Herzog film, "Aguirre" than anything else, in the low-budget, simple approach to the film, following a handful of period characters losing their minds with some more dreamlike and experimental filmmaking going on.

Think it's going to be one of those movies where I'm going to have to eliminate all excitement and preconceived ideas about this being a new Ben Wheatley film and just go in with low expectations, so I'm only pleasantly surprised and love it if turns out to be great. Fingers crossed.

New trailer. This is out Friday. Get excited.
I am bloody looking forward to this. Oh man.

http://vimeo.com/68938072

I reckon the animator who made this did the ace Berbarian Sound Studio opening credits last year.
Really like that art-style. 

Edit: Yep. Confirmed that. http://www.intro-uk.com/category/creative/julian-house/
Gonna look through the rest of this person's stuff when I get some spare-time.

Edit: Christ. Just read my own post above. What a fucking hypocrite.

Blumf

Quote from: Bored of Canada on June 29, 2013, 01:34:49 PM
Edit: Yep. Confirmed that. http://www.intro-uk.com/category/creative/julian-house/
Gonna look through the rest of this person's stuff when I get some spare-time.

Ah hah! Ghost Box.

kitsofan34

Kill List is on Film 4 Thursday, 4th of July at 23:05.

A Field In England is on Friday, 5th of July at 22:45.

Proper excited, haven't seen any of Wheatley's films before.

Paaaaul

Quote from: kitsofan34 on June 29, 2013, 07:31:42 PM
Kill List is on Film 4 Thursday, 4th of July at 23:05.

A Field In England is on Friday, 5th of July at 22:45.

Proper excited, haven't seen any of Wheatley's films before.
Down Terrace is on sometime next week too.

kitsofan34