Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:27:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Field in England

Started by Theremin, March 28, 2013, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paaaaul

It's probably the most insubstantial of his films, but is still better than your average British gangster flick.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Paaaaul on June 29, 2013, 09:57:42 PM
It's probably the most insubstantial of his films, but is still better than your average British gangster flick.

I have to confess to getting a bit bored half way through. I don't know, I liked it well enough, but just wasn't in the mood for that sort of thing that particular night. I will go back and watch the rest soon though as everything else he's done has impressed.

Small Man Big Horse

Anyone know which one is ABC of Death, btw?

chocky909

Down Terrace was excellent I thought.

Shame they're showing A Field In England on Film4 because its not in HD. Maybe it'll look more 'period' that way. I assume it'll still get a limited release at cinemas too so I might make the effort. I'm expecting an HD version will be released soon enough so I tempted to wait for that. Actually, I just checked and the DVD and Bluray are released on the 5th July so I'll probably order that.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 29, 2013, 10:59:25 PM
I have to confess to getting a bit bored half way through. I don't know, I liked it well enough, but just wasn't in the mood for that sort of thing that particular night. I will go back and watch the rest soon though as everything else he's done has impressed.
It definitely improves. The first half is mostly character building before shit goes down, similar to the way he gives time to the characters in his other films before the story really starts.

In The ABCs Of Death,Wheatley directs 'U'.

Quote from: chocky909 on June 29, 2013, 11:07:10 PMI'm expecting an HD version will be released soon enough so I tempted to wait for that. Actually, I just checked and the DVD and Bluray are released on the 5th July so I'll probably order that.

It's all being released on every medium and every VOD concurrently, so you'll likely be able to get a HD version straight off iTunes if you want it as soon as it comes out. That or the yes, the Blu-Ray will be out same day as well. 

weekender

Or you could just watch Film4 HD.

Edley

Quote from: weekender on June 30, 2013, 10:46:06 AM
Or you could just watch Film4 HD.

Only if you've got Virgin.

Subtle Mocking

Apparently HMV have had copies put out early. Dunno if I can be arsed to go down and check my local.

WesterlyWinds

Going to go see this on Friday, I think. The only film of his I have ever seen before is Sightseers, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Tried to download Down Terrace the other day as I like a good gangster film, especially those which are a little different, but the audio was out of sync so couldn't bear to watch it. Think the cinema I am going to is showing this followed by Kill List in a double bill; not sure I can face two films in one go though.

Subtle Mocking

Kill List is on Film4 on Thursday if you don't want to watch both in one go.

WesterlyWinds

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on July 02, 2013, 04:39:32 PM
Kill List is on Film4 on Thursday if you don't want to watch both in one go.

What if I want to watch it in HD?!?!

Thanks but I don't have a TV. Think it's being played on Saturday too, so I can go see it then.

Subtle Mocking

It's definitely a film that benefits from HD (saw it on C4 HD a month or two ago), as it has a very tense atmosphere. Might be a bit exhausting immediately after AFIE, so perhaps better to see it on another day.

Mister Six

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on July 02, 2013, 04:38:16 PMTried to download Down Terrace the other day as I like a good gangster film, especially those which are a little different, but the audio was out of sync so couldn't bear to watch it.

VLC Media Player allows you to adjust the delay on the audio to compensate, so you might want to look into that.

Down Terrace is great but above-all-else, Kill List would be brilliant in a cinema. Highly recommend you see it somewhere big with loud surround sound.
It'd be brilliant, especially with the shared atmosphere with other people who haven't seen it either.

Also, Melbourne Film Festival's soon but they haven't publicly announced the schedule for it, so don't know if Field in England'll be there, but I'm pretty busy by the time that festival hits and might not be able to make it anyway. I could order over a copy on Friday, but you can't hack Blu-Ray's into being region free and I want to see this in HD. Hopefully one of the VOD services will accept my credit card...

BlodwynPig

Great its on in Newcastle on Friday. Might be a bit of a headfuck as I have to get up at 3am the next morning and wanted an early night, but it'll be worth it.

billtheburger

It's being shown in Manchester & Ben's doing a live satellite interview link up after the film.

The Roofdog

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 03, 2013, 09:02:42 AM
Great its on in Newcastle on Friday. Might be a bit of a headfuck as I have to get up at 3am the next morning and wanted an early night, but it'll be worth it.

Sleep when you're dead[nb]Tuesday[/nb].

kittens

Does anyone know if this is being shown in any cinemas in Bristol? I can't seem to find any info online.

Zetetic

I think it's only being shown in Picturehouse cinemas.
Edit: Nope, there's not one in Newcastle or Manchester, so that's clearly balls. Sorry.

Zetetic

Ah, it's being distributed by Picturehouse Entertainment.
List of screenings here, I think.

Phil_A

Just seen Kill List, and thought it was superb. I was genuinely left a bit rattled by the ending, which doesn't happen much these days. The complete lack of exposition was quite effective, although maybe some explanation would've been nice.

I love it when films pull an unexpected genre switch, so when it suddenly went all
Spoiler alert
Wicker Man
[close]
I was well chuffed.

Damn, damn, damn. So far been unsuccessful in buying a HD copy as I don't have a UK credit card. It's Arrested Development all over again.
I'm gonna keep at it though. Any advice from Ex-Pats or foreigners like myself coming and buying your films with our grubby fingers and tainted cash?
The actual VPN side of it's easy enough. I'm able to run iTunes or FilmFour from an English VPN, but as soon as I get to the credit-card stage, I hit a brick-wall.

It is coming to the Melbourne film festival at the end of the month for two nights, but unfortunately I'm all set to crew on a film for BOTH of the days, and they haven't announced the times of the shoots, or if they're even night shoots. So all this will very likely conflict with the screenings.
And then it'll take forever for it to get any distribution over here after that. If it even does.

Once I get paid, I'm gonna buy a ticket anyway and just hope that it all turns outs okay.

It won't though.

I saw Sightseers before the UK release at the film-festival, and in Australia it only had a very limited release in very limited cinemas with absolutely no-advertising when it was officially distributed off the festival circuit in March. And that was a far more marketable and palatable film for audiences than a psychedelic, hallucinatory low-budget arthouse period film set in a single field during the English civil war. Don't want to wait another half a year to see it.

EDIT: Man. Never realised how hard you guys have it with the internet. Every single time you register for anything, you have to scroll all the way through every single country to get to the "U" section, and that's if it isn't one set up to be more specific, be it England, Wales, Scotland, (Northern or otherwise) Ireland, etc.
It's worth emigrating to Argentina just to skip that fiddliness.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Bored of Canada on July 05, 2013, 03:32:49 AM
Damn, damn, damn. So far been unsuccessful in buying a HD copy as I don't have a UK credit card. It's Arrested Development all over again.
I'm gonna keep at it though. Any advice from Ex-Pats or foreigners like myself coming and buying your films with our grubby fingers and tainted cash?
The actual VPN side of it's easy enough. I'm able to run iTunes or FilmFour from an English VPN, but as soon as I get to the credit-card stage, I hit a brick-wall.

With regards to iTunes, could you buy a UK gift voucher and use it towards the purchase? That's what I have to do with US purchases on Playstation Store. Something like this? http://direct.asda.com/%C2%A315-Apple-iTunes-Code-%28Email-Delivery%29/006918425,default,pd.html

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on July 05, 2013, 10:18:06 AM
With regards to iTunes, could you buy a UK gift voucher and use it towards the purchase? That's what I have to do with US purchases on Playstation Store. Something like this? http://direct.asda.com/%C2%A315-Apple-iTunes-Code-%28Email-Delivery%29/006918425,default,pd.html

Yeah, I was planning on doing that this morning. Got a UK VPN sorted, got a new UK email sorted, got a new UK iTunes account sorted, and was going to use a UK voucher but it wouldn't let me do that without first putting in my credit-card details, which immediately changes me into the Aussie store.

Doesn't matter. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that the shoots don't interfere with the screening, but, eh. Tough shit if it does, I guess.
I'll watch it later on in the year. Just can't be arsed fiddling any more with all this shifty stuff in a futile effort to legally pay for shit, and I'm not going to pirate it.
I'm a patient guy; I can wait. 

WesterlyWinds

Right so I just got back from seeing it and whilst I wouldn't go so far as saying I didn't enjoy it, I'm left feeling rather perplexed. Hopefully one of you film buffs will come along and explain to me exactly what the fuck just happened?

chocky909

WesterlyWinds

Spoiler alert
I spoilt nothing!
[close]

Captain Crunch

Quote from: kittens on July 04, 2013, 10:57:11 AM
Does anyone know if this is being shown in any cinemas in Bristol? I can't seem to find any info online.

The Cube are showing it on the 22nd and 23rd July.

Danger Man

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on July 05, 2013, 08:58:50 PM
Right so I just got back from seeing it and whilst I wouldn't go so far as saying I didn't enjoy it, I'm left feeling rather perplexed. Hopefully one of you film buffs will come along and explain to me exactly what the fuck just happened?

Spoiler alert
Witchcraft
[close]