Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:10:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Field in England

Started by Theremin, March 28, 2013, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesterlyWinds

Quote from: Danger Man on July 05, 2013, 09:28:15 PM
Spoiler alert
Witchcraft
[close]

Spoiler alert
Even witchcraft is supposed to make some sort of sense, once you've accepted the possibility of it existing in the film-world, anyway.
[close]

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on July 05, 2013, 08:58:50 PM
Right so I just got back from seeing it and whilst I wouldn't go so far as saying I didn't enjoy it, I'm left feeling rather perplexed. Hopefully one of you film buffs will come along and explain to me exactly what the fuck just happened?

I got the general idea, but I too found it rather perplexing. It was a very gripping film, but it didn't have the immediacy of Kill List.

Cerys

Okay, I'm getting excited about this now.  Will I be able to watch it without being interrupted by a six-year-old?  Time will tell.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Cerys on July 05, 2013, 09:52:38 PM
Okay, I'm getting excited about this now.  Will I be able to watch it without being interrupted by a six-year-old?  Time will tell.

It isn't very long. Is 90 mins a decent timeframe?

Cerys

Hopefully.  I've told her that I'm watching it, given her a basic premise and told her I'll tell her some more tomorrow once I've seen it.  Fingers crossed....

Pete23

Interrupted shortly after Reece has a rope round him by the wife who tells me she's just kicked a hedgehog in the face while dancing round the garden to J-pop. Strangely fitting.

Cerys

Phew.  That was ... fantastic.  Oddly made me think of The Pardoner's Tale at times, for some reason.

Blumf

Quote from: Pete23 on July 05, 2013, 11:58:45 PM
Interrupted shortly after Reece has a rope round him by the wife who tells me she's just kicked a hedgehog in the face while dancing round the garden to J-pop. Strangely fitting.

Dig a hole where the hedgehog landed

chocky909

That was very good but I'm not sure what the hell happened or if we are supposed to know.

Cerys

Am I right in thinking that O'Neill was played by the same bloke who played Tyres in Spaced?

Edit - why, yes.  Yes he was.  I feel smug.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Cerys on July 06, 2013, 12:21:58 AM
Am I right in thinking that O'Neill was played by the same bloke who played Tyres in Spaced?

You are. He was in Kill List too. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0806968/

Cerys

Heh - you must have been writing that as I was doing my post-wikipedia edit.

chocky909

Spoiler alert
Julian Barratt wasn't in it for very long.
[close]

Cerys

Uh - wasn't he in it pretty much all the way through?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Cerys on July 06, 2013, 12:31:53 AM
Uh - wasn't he in it pretty much all the way through?

Spoiler alert
He died in the first minute!
[close]

Subtle Mocking

There was a guy who vaguely looked like him, but it wasn't him. He did indeed
Spoiler alert
die in the first two minutes.
[close]

Well, I watched it.  Thought it LOOKED brilliant.  Loved the cinematography.  Didn't understand a bloody word of it, though.

I'm pleased that a film like that got made and that it looked/sounded as good as it did on what was clearly a miniscule budget, but I think I'm obviously in the minority of people who find Ben Wheatley a bit over-rated.

Haven't seen Down Terrace yet, but got really annoyed at Kill List's ending, didn't think Sightseers was as good as everyone was making it out to be and, if I'm being honest, was a bit fed up with A Field In England by about the 40 minute mark.

I'll stick to Weekend At Bernie's 1 & 2. 

Danger Man

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on July 06, 2013, 12:35:36 AM
There was a guy who vaguely looked like him, but it wasn't him. He did indeed
Spoiler alert
die in the first two minutes.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Mind blown.....
[close]

Pete23

Quote from: Blumf on July 06, 2013, 12:13:58 AM
Dig a hole where the hedgehog landed

There was nothing in that hole but dirt and old bones. And quills and pocky.

Cerys

So Julian Barratt was
Spoiler alert
Trower
[close]
?!  Fucksakes.

Custard

Well, another Wheatley film, another head-fuck!

Really enjoyed that, and felt like it had the same sense of dread that Kill List pulled off so well. And like that film, I genuinely couldn't work out where the fuck it was going!

Anyone catch Wheatley's brief comments on the film, afterwards? He left it open to interpretation, but I THINK I worked it out from that

Anyway, one of the strangest films I've ever seen, and like Wheatley's previous films, I think it will get better and better and make more sense on repeat watches.

To be honest, I don't even really feel like I NEED to know what it was all about. Like Kill List, sometimes it's more about the journey, and how it makes you feel, rather than needing to know exactly what's going on. It's disorientating, but in a great way, and is never less than entertaining

Mister Six

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on July 06, 2013, 12:36:51 AMI think I'm obviously in the minority of people who find Ben Wheatley a bit over-rated.

Haven't seen Down Terrace yet, but got really annoyed at Kill List's ending, didn't think Sightseers was as good as everyone was making it out to be and, if I'm being honest, was a bit fed up with A Field In England by about the 40 minute mark.

I'm with you there, I think. I really enjoyed Sightseers a lot but I don't think it's the best British film ever made or anything, and I think what impressed me most was the script, which wasn't written by Wheatley. Down Terrace was watchable but not terribly gripping - probably if I'd seen more late '90s Cockney wanker gangster films I'd have appreciated its iconoclasm a bit more. Kill List failed to impress for reasons I elaborated on rather too much in that thread.

I think Wheatley is an impressive director with an excellent grasp of tone and a talent for telling stories with little details, but I don't think he's yet to make a genuinely excellent film, and I worry that if he's getting this level of praise at the minute then he never will.

Noodle Lizard

Downloading it now.  From the imagery I've seen and character named The Alchemist, is this Ben Wheatley having a go at being Alejandro Jodorowsky?  I'm going in with an open mind, mind.  I like the release method and hope it does well, but Ben Wheatley hasn't wowed me yet.

WesterlyWinds

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 06, 2013, 01:45:10 AMAnyone catch Wheatley's brief comments on the film, afterwards? He left it open to interpretation, but I THINK I worked it out from that

I didn't and can't find it on YouTube, could you elaborate please?

jutl

Felt like a film of a later Alan Garner novel.

Cerys

Okay.  Having digested it overnight, I awoke this morning with a sudden recollection.  There was a fairy ring of mushrooms - and according to folklore, someone inside a fairy ring can be rendered invisible to those outside it.  Hence O'Neil being unseen until he is pulled out of it.  The fact that there's a credit for the 'voice of the field', leads me to the idea of the land itself being involved and active in the civil war.  And the hedge through which they pass - is that a crossing into the land of the Fair Folk?

No, I haven't been smoking.

daf

What was happening during all the horrific screaming after Reece and Tyres went in the tent?

Spoiler alert
Was it vigorous bumming?
[close]

WesterlyWinds

Quote from: daf on July 06, 2013, 01:16:35 PM
What was happening during all the horrific screaming after Reece and Tyres went in the tent?

Spoiler alert
Was it vigorous bumming?
[close]

Spoiler alert
I think Whitehead had phimosis and they were trying to retract his foreskin.
[close]

Cerys

Yes.  Yes, I think it was
Spoiler alert
bumming
[close]
.  Although
Spoiler alert
he didn't seem to have much trouble walking
[close]
afterwards.

Glebe

Great that it's being released this way, but I didn't watch it because I don't have Film4 HD and I wanna watch it without breaks... so I reckon it'll be a Blu-ray rental for me. I liked Kill List, although
Spoiler alert
the ending owes maybe a little too much to The Wicker Man.
[close]