Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nighty Night, Brasseye, League of Gentlemen...

Started by SlidingDieBox, July 17, 2004, 10:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these would you rather watch non-stop for the rest of your life?

Jam
8 (13.3%)
Brasseye
10 (16.7%)
League Of Gentlemen
6 (10%)
Nighty Night
2 (3.3%)
The Day Today
34 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: July 17, 2004, 10:23:44 PM

SlidingDieBox

did anyone watch nighty night? what did you think? i thought it had all the makings of a comedy cult thing. It's very shocking in parts, always good, there's funny jokes about sex (hurr hurr) and stuff like that..erm..yes i thought it was ace. oh and by the way, little britain... is there actually going to be another series?
i included Brasseye in there ecause i was watching it last night for the millionth time and it still just gets funny each time...my favourite bit is "i don't want to end up with a couple of four nights and a bad balloon" or the scarily accurate drug use in the offices...
Oh and L.O.G - There have been rumours of a film for too long now, is that going to happen, does anyone know?

Darrell

Quote from: "SlidingDieBox"did anyone watch nighty night? what did you think?

Without exaggerating, we all, almost without exception, didn't get on with it much at all. Probably the most this forum has ever agreed on anything (except obvious things such as 'Chris Morris is good').

I'll dig out the link.

Vermschneid Mehearties

I found Nighty Nighty quite entertaining, but I didn't think it was regularly funny enough. I also reckon that it was trying a little bit too hard to be dark/edgy, when it might have beneifted from a gag or two.

As for Little Britain, there's a radio series, and I'm sure a second series will follow, as it was quite successful quality wise, and ratings wise.

I was going to vote BrassEye, but I'd go for TDT. I practically do am are going be doing to watching it for the rest of my life. It's a tough choice. I'm not sure I'd like to watch the same show for the rest of my life. It would probably turn into a waking nightmare with one of my favourite TV shows being turned gradually into my most hated. It's "a couple of fortnights in a bad balloon" I think, also.

The L.O.G film is going much like the Red Dwarf film is going. They're both stuck/ going incredibly slowly. Others might have slightly more info. I know only check occasionally, as their slow progress is irritating me. Whilst those two have been shitting about, we've already had Shaun Of The Dead which was very entertaining.

Darrell

Oh, the League of Gentlemen film begins shooting in the next couple of months. Quite astonishingly quick development for a British comedy film, that.

Darrell

Nighty Night threads:

Here is the big one:
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1169

And here's its unnerving epilogue:
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3231

There was an earlier one about the BBC3 run which was the best, but it got wiped in the board explosion at the start of the year.

rjpeters

I can easily understand three of the options, and I can, at a stretch understand the LoG, but Nighty Night, please. I'd rather saw off my penis with a rusty breadknife than have to sit through ANY of Nighty Night again.

As for which one I'd watch for the rest of my life, I'd say Jam, if only because I've watched TDT and BE far too much recently. Plus there's something about Richard Madeley fucking a vending machine that I find deeply amusing.

RHX

I couldn't watch Jam for the rest of my life... too much of that Mr Ventham sketch would would seriously be unhealthy for me... although it's like the commercial break the show never had, which is good.

I would say either Brasseye or The Day Today, simply because I never watched Nighty Night, and League Of Gentlemen lost it after Series 1, in my opinion.

Papercut

You know what, there are parts of The Day Today that annoy me after repeated viewings. David Schneider's beard in the office sketch being the main one, Graham Lineham's dodgy trunks (that is him, isn't it?) and Armando Iannucci's bad acting.

The celebrity dupes in Brass Eye become too much after awhile too.

I reckon Jam stands up best to repeated viewings, mainly because the dialog is so unusual and disarming. You'd get sick of Mark Heap's fake cock in The Gush sketch though, eh?

Godzilla Bankrolls

There's always something new I notice whenever I see TDT, so I went for that.

Watching any of the others forever would be tiresome. Even Brasseye, because I suppose I'd have to watch the Special forever too.

Lumiere

TDT. Absolute perfection, so many new things to notice upon each viewing.

Then BrassEye, because some of the material is so timeless.

Then JAM, because some of it was shite, and some of it was gold.

LoG/NN doesn't even bare thinking about.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

For fear of going against the grain here, I'd have to choose League of Gentlemen, but it'd have to be all 3 series and the Xmas special. Firstly, there's 19 episodes to watch; secondly, the level of detail is fantastic, and there of course thousands of homages and references to pick up on; and thirdly, I think it's just very, very funny.

I think Brass Eye would come a close second though, for the same reasons as LoG, it's just I'd get bored quicker with BE, and also after a while, the Science episode (the least good of the series) would begin to piss me off as an atomic level.

SlidingDieBox

yeh the chrimbo special was classic. Yeh series one was deffinatley better than series 2, and although series 3 was good, i found that they tied the ends up a bit loosely at the end (LoG)

Ok so what do you all think of monkey dust?

Godzilla Bankrolls

SlidingDieBox

Something tells me im not in kansas anymore...

i mean something tells me that im not really "for" this site, seeing as EVERYTHING i watch is pretty much hated. argh

Godzilla Bankrolls

Stick around, we'll introduce you to more stuff. Just don't expect an easy ride!

http://chilled.cream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=64513#64513

I would suggest that you try and get hold of the first series of The Smell Of Reeves and Mortimer. It's their last truly amazing series, before laziness, repetition, cocaine and being a celeb kicked in.

slim

Quote from: "SlidingDieBox"i mean something tells me that im not really "for" this site, seeing as EVERYTHING i watch is pretty much hated. argh

Oh, please don't give up so easily- I find the differences of opinion on this forum fascinating!

SlidingDieBox

glad to know that someone is gaining interest... maybe one day i'll find a programme that i can agree on
i like jam and all the other obvious morris tv children, but then again . . . gah!

Lumiere

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"

I would suggest that you try and get hold of the first series of The Smell Of Reeves and Mortimer. .

What IS the attraction of reeves and mortimer?

SlidingDieBox

for me it's always been the fact that the stuff they do is so surreal, and you find yourself laughing because of bizarre reasons.

DuncanC

I'd really like to see the first series of Smell. I've read the script book, but not seen an episode.

Bogey

Quote from: "Lumiere"
Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"

I would suggest that you try and get hold of the first series of The Smell Of Reeves and Mortimer. .

What IS the attraction of reeves and mortimer?

Nostalgia, largely.

SlidingDieBox

did anyone ever watch that re-make they made of randall and hopkirk (deceased)?

SimonJT

Yeah, I thought that was great, although a lot of people seemingly didn't. Hmm, I might have to seek out the DVDs next time I'm in town.

SlidingDieBox

yeh yeh i really enjoyed it but true, nobody else really did. but then again, nobody else seemingly likes anything that i do so i get used to it ;-)

steevbishop

I think I could happily live on my Police Squad videos alone, if I wasn't bound to modern British comedy.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Papercut"You know what, there are parts of The Day Today that annoy me after repeated viewings...The celebrity dupes in Brass Eye become too much after awhile too...I reckon Jam stands up best to repeated viewings...
Pretty much my thoughts too, however I voted for TDT because if Jam was on loop I'd probably top myself within a few months at most.  And the Doctor In The Room Next Door sketch is infuriating beyond belief.

Then again, if you were going to be stuck in a room with a TV for the rest of your life, a swift end would probably be the most merciful, so perhaps I should have voted for Jam after all.

Lumiere

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "Papercut"
Pretty much my thoughts too, however I voted for TDT because if Jam was on loop I'd probably top myself within a few months at most.  And the Doctor In The Room Next Door sketch is infuriating beyond belief.

My thoughts exactly. There were some quite disturbing sequences and sketches (doctor next door, bending over for ryan) that seemed to stretch on for Millenia.

Heh heh, the poor mite stumbles in, tries to impress by starting a thread and ends up admitting to like the most universally hated show on the board.

I liked Nighty Night too, so you can come snuggle under my blanket if you like.  No touching, mind.

Oh, probably Brass Eye for me - makes me laugh out loud every time.  Though I try not to watch it too often, in the vague hope that I might forget it all and come back to it fresh next time.  Doesn't really work of course, but one day the old alzheimers might set in and my evil plan will come to fruition, mwhahahaha.  Pass the commode, Deidre....