Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nighty Night, Brasseye, League of Gentlemen...

Started by SlidingDieBox, July 17, 2004, 10:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these would you rather watch non-stop for the rest of your life?

Jam
8 (13.3%)
Brasseye
10 (16.7%)
League Of Gentlemen
6 (10%)
Nighty Night
2 (3.3%)
The Day Today
34 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: July 17, 2004, 10:23:44 PM

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"Heh heh, the poor mite stumbles in, tries to impress by starting a thread and ends up admitting to like the most universally hated show on the board.

No, that's Bo Selecta, with 2 Pints and TMB just behind. I think the average NN opinion here is 'disappointingly unfunny' – nothing to the truly righteous bile we reserve for the other three.

Purple Tentacle

My Family, My Hero and That Jamie Theakston Programme are also contenders.

I actually enjoyed the first showing of the first series of Bo Selecta, as did quite a few other people, in a post-pub type of way, but yes the steaming pile of shite that is the third series HAS attracted mass derision.

To be honest I find Nighty Night more offensive than any 8.30PM BBC1 post-Eastenders sitcom... because at least there's no pretention with the safe sitcoms, they're just.... shite.  They do exactly what they say on their post-Eastenders tin.

Nighty Night is supposed to be groundbreaking and daring.  Urgh.

RHX

Quote from: "Lumiere"
Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Pretty much my thoughts too, however I voted for TDT because if Jam was on loop I'd probably top myself within a few months at most.  And the Doctor In The Room Next Door sketch is infuriating beyond belief.

My thoughts exactly. There were some quite disturbing sequences and sketches (doctor next door, bending over for ryan) that seemed to stretch on for Millenia.

After sitting down and watching the DVD, I don't understand why people are so down on the "Bending over for Ryan" sketch (I've already mentioned that I'm not keen on the way they speak, but it seems that's common within the series). I mean, the Doc Knee sketch is far more boring, plus it's the last scene on the episode so it's difficult to skip. The only thing I found funny about that was the subtitles being out of sync to the sketch - intentional, I assume?

Lumiere

That's a point, doc knee is...as lethargic as cheese. The subtitles being out of synch with the voices gave me a headache.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "RHX"
Quote from: "Lumiere"
Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"And the Doctor In The Room Next Door sketch is infuriating beyond belief.
My thoughts exactly. There were some quite disturbing sequences and sketches (doctor next door, bending over for ryan) that seemed to stretch on for Millenia.
After sitting down and watching the DVD, I don't understand why people are so down on the "Bending over for Ryan" sketch (I've already mentioned that I'm not keen on the way they speak, but it seems that's common within the series). I mean, the Doc Knee sketch is far more boring, plus it's the last scene on the episode so it's difficult to skip.
I'm fine with "Bending over for Ryan", although it's not a fave and I sometimes wonder why they started off with it.

Doc Knee, on the other hand, is a work of sublime genius as far as I'm concerned.  I've written of this before, but whether it's David Cann's acting, or Eno ascending in the background, that final exchange of "This isn't right you know", "I know", "Byeeeeeee" puts the hairs up on the back of my neck and fills me with a sense of profound...sometihng ((C)Douglas Adams?).  Just the way Cann says "I know" in that reassuring yet scary way is brilliant.  I do think Eno has a lot to do with it, but there's more to it as well.

I'm generally a fan of the other Doctor sketches: Synchronised Cocks always makes me grin, and Sex Lines tends to be one I play to newcomers as it's almost a straight (if obscene) comedy sketch.  Self-induced Blindness is harmless enough, whereas Urinating Doctor is just weird.  However, as I said, Telephone Diagnosis (to give it its [semi-?]official title) is just tedious beyond belief.  Or at least it was the only time I've watched it...as I've tended to skip it after that.

RHX

Quote from: "Lumiere"That's a point, doc knee is...as lethargic as cheese. The subtitles being out of synch with the voices gave me a headache.

It was the last scene of the first episode, why couldn't Morris have used the Bishopslips sketch instead? If he really wanted people to take notice of his show, that would have been a perfect ending. Maybe it wouldn't have worked since it was 3 years since it was really poignant, but I've shown it to some friends of mine 7 years after it was made and they all found it funny, so there would still be a group of people who would enjoy it (and it would have been in it's entire form, which would have kept die-hard fans happy).

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit, but my main point is that Doc Knee is one of my least favourite scenes from the whole of Jam (with the exception of anything with Mr Ventham - not funny after the first time).

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "RHX"Anyway, I'm rambling a bit, but my main point is that Doc Knee is one of my least favourite scenes from the whole of Jam (with the exception of anything with Mr Ventham - not funny after the first time).
I find the appeal of the Mr. Ventham sketches comes from the anaesthetic quality of the hushed voices and the plush surroundings.

SimonJT

I think Doc Knee's fantastic. The sketches that drag on the most for me, are ones like Acupuncture with nine-inch nails, particularly in repeated viewing/listening.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

For me, the (limited) appeal of Blue Jam/Jam was that, when a sketch started, you had no idea where it was going. The 'shock' of each item gradually revealed itself. Once you know what the shock is, however, you tend to look at your watch a bit. And all the cutaways of people looking puzzled and saying 'Sorry?' just gets irritating.

For me, you can't beat David Cann's premature funeral. Particularly the dancing to Jackie Wilson. It's very economical (or 'short') too, which I like.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

The Doc knee is one of my favourite sketches in Jam, but mainly because it has the fucking brilliant Brian Eno track Ascent. I like it too because it doesn't mention rape, abortion, infantcide, murder, weird sexual relations, penises, vaginas, pissing, semen - not that the sketches that do feature these things aren't funny, they are, but it's refreshing to have a sketch which is more pretentious weird, than shocking weird.

Jemble Fred

[pointless observation]One of the main problems with Jam for me, (aside from the irritating 6th form Media Studies nature of the visual effects etc) is the complete lack of enjoyment that is gleaned from the dark material, mentioned above. One of the main reasons Derek & Clive works, for me, (the Python Undertaker sketch is another example, where they're enjoying and playing on the depths to which they sink) is just the sheer glee Pete and Dud get from being foul. Especially Dud, obviously. Imagine the 'cunt kicker-in' rant delivered completely straight, and to utter silence. Wouldn't work.

Monkey Dust and Nighty Night are the same. Deliver sick humour dead straight and it just seems po-faced and potentially self-indulgent to me. Personal preferences perhaps.

Lumiere

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"For me, the (limited) appeal of Blue Jam/Jam was that, when a sketch started, you had no idea where it was going. The 'shock' of each item gradually revealed itself. Once you know what the shock is, however, you tend to look at your watch a bit

I liked how BJ/J was unpredictable. I just don't like how it's often a dull buildup. Take Fawlty Towers for instance, the whole fire alarm sketch. It builds, gives a soupcon of payoff, builds more, builds more, builds more, soupcon of payoff, cools down a bit, then swoops straight into buildup before exploding (almost like an orgasm). It's excruciating, but compelling and makes great comedy. In Jam it just slowly builds up, then recedes and gives the 'punchline'. Excruciatingly boring, in some cases.

Shade

QuoteDoc Knee, on the other hand, is a work of sublime genius as far as I'm concerned. I've written of this before, but whether it's David Cann's acting, or Eno ascending in the background, that final exchange of "This isn't right you know", "I know", "Byeeeeeee" puts the hairs up on the back of my neck and fills me with a sense of profound...sometihng ((C)Douglas Adams?). Just the way Cann says "I know" in that reassuring yet scary way is brilliant. I do think Eno has a lot to do with it, but there's more to it as well.

I love that sketch. The music, the lighting, the setting, and slowed down speech, makes it all seem so heavenly. Its almost the complete opposite of the final Doc sketch.

I like the almost proud look of acomplishment that David Cann gives at the end. Possibley the best sketch on Jam.

rjpeters

I thought the DocKnee sketch worked far better on Blue Jam myself.

Ambient Sheep

I've thought for a while now that I'd like "An Ending (Ascent)" played at my funeral.  I've now decided that - if possible - I'd like David Cann standing there waving "Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" as I go.

SlidingDieBox

Quote from: "Shade"

I love that sketch. The music, the lighting, the setting, and slowed down speech, makes it all seem so heavenly.

yeh i completely agree. i love the dreamy music sequences in most jam sketches, and how you always feel something tragic or something sickly to each character on it. I love the title sequences *when dancing, lost in techno trance, arms flailing, gawky bends, then find you snagged on frowns* because despite the fact they are so weird, you kind of feel like this is all part of the "normal" world we live in...

I like the almost proud look of acomplishment that David Cann gives at the end. Possibley the best sketch on Jam.

SlidingDieBox

sorry about that last post. you can figure out what i wrote and what you did, i got lost in all that code...

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "SlidingDieBox"I love the title sequences *when dancing, lost in techno trance, arms flailing, gawky bends, then find you snagged on frowns*
Just for info, it's "Gawky Bez", as in the dancer from the Happy Mondays.

Still, makes a change from "Gorky Bears"...  :-)

SlidingDieBox

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "SlidingDieBox"I love the title sequences *when dancing, lost in techno trance, arms flailing, gawky bends, then find you snagged on frowns*
Just for info, it's "Gawky Bez", as in the dancer from the Happy Mondays.

Still, makes a change from "Gorky Bears"...  :-)

heh okay cheers for that mate
what exactly does he say after "snuggle close a manglebird..." because I can't quite make it out is it "hoping you too be reassured" or something
gawd i love jam. my fave is either Doc Knee or the lizard...."Mr Lizard..." "another Mr Lizard"
jam. jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

SimonJT

It's "hoping you too will soon be freezer-drawered", or something like that.

slim

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Just for info, it's "Gawky Bez", as in the dancer from the Happy Mondays.

Huzzah! Thanks for that, I'd been wondering what that was :)

(Maybe this should've gone in that marvellous thread that meant I, and all my friends, no longer have uncomfortable sock issues!)

weekender

Quote from: "SimonJT"It's "hoping you too will soon be freezer-drawered", or something like that.

I think that's spot-on, from memory.  'Freezer-drawered' referring to being on a cold slab in a mortuary I assume.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "weekender"'Freezer-drawered' referring to being on a cold slab in a mortuary I assume.
Or indeed on the freezer drawers that you find in mortuarys, upon several of which you see multiple Morrises sliding in and out of the mortuary's "filing cabinet".

EDIT: spelling.

weekender

Whoah, let's not work too fast, we're dealing with people who can't hear words properly.  We don't want to rush them with the concept that they're going to die at some point and will end up in a big freezer for a couple of days before they're bunged in a hole in the ground, they could get worried...

SlidingDieBox

freezer drawered, eh? makes sense...thankyah

im in a quizzical mood. somebody think of something quizzical. like a quiz. and we can all play. like happy people