Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:09:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inept film posters

Started by Nuclear Optimism, April 09, 2013, 03:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Blumf on January 10, 2018, 09:54:40 AM
Haven't they committed a major film poster faux pas by having the actors name lined up with their image?

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 10, 2018, 09:07:05 PM

Has Danny DeVito done something different with his hair? / Michelle Pfeiffer has really let herself go!

Seriously though, this whole 'names in the wrong order' on posters thing has to stop.  It's ridiculous!  If the order of billing is of such vital importance to your marketing department, then make sure that you place the stars names and faces in the same preferred order.

Mister Six

Quote from: Porter Dimi on December 20, 2017, 01:38:43 PM
Jesus. That picture of Walken is as if he's gone missing and he's been age-progressed.

I'm more intrigued by the two-headed Ving Rhames/Terry Bradshaw monster in the top-right.

Mister Six

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 10, 2018, 09:31:52 PM
Has Danny DeVito done something different with his hair? / Michelle Pfeiffer has really let herself go!

Seriously though, this whole 'names in the wrong order' on posters thing has to stop.  It's ridiculous!  If the order of billing is of such vital importance to your marketing department, then make sure that you place the stars names and faces in the same preferred order.

No, that's the point - DeVito and Pffieffeffeffffffrrrrrr have equal billing. That's expressed by putting him first in the names and her first in the photos.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 10, 2018, 09:31:52 PM
Seriously though, this whole 'names in the wrong order' on posters thing has to stop.  It's ridiculous!

Yeah, it does my nut in too.  And it still happens on a fairly regular basis.  I mean, on the one hand it's one of the few times when film DOESN'T treat its audience like an idiot, because they know that we know they haven't just done a stupid fuck up.  But our eyes and brains just tell us that they've done, and keep doing, a stupid fuck up.

Thomas

A recent example is the poster for 2013's American Hustle -

notjosh

Just take a nice big marker to the bus stop with you and treat it like a puzzle.

Shit Good Nose

Good to see Jeremy Aenner and Jennifer Lawaence both getting work.

mothman

Plus, the actual letter "A" looks like a willy.

Mini

Dr Rock

Quote from: Thomas on January 11, 2018, 10:48:34 AM

Those people are not all the same height either. Annoys me when they do that. Christian Bale is (reportedly) just over 6 foot. Jennifer Lawrence, according to my slapdash research is officially 5'9'' though that's debated elsewhere saying she is more like 5'6''. Jeremy Renner is officially 5'10'' but reports say it's more like 5'8''. Amy Adams admits she is 5'4''. Bradley Cooper is 4'7''.

It's not that cinema shouldn't make these people seem taller as much as when I see a poster like that I think they are not all going to be exactly the same height.

zomgmouse

They seem to have included Christian Bale - who is nowhere to be seen - and yet Matthew Holness - front and centre - is totally left out of the credits. What gives?

asids

Reminds me of the poster for Life which was out last year, and who would have guessed it, was mercilessly advertised on the sides of buses:

St_Eddie

mothman

TL;DR they're all so short, you have the makings of a Time Bandits remake right there.

greencalx

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 10, 2018, 10:11:36 AM
The Rosamund Pike one - extremely terrible design, and the 'raped, tortured and humiliated' bit seems very dated, like something you would see around the time of 'I Spit On Your Grave' - the use of the word 'rape' on a film poster, for what seems like a schlocky revenge thriller seems inappropriate these days.

I find the order a bit weird too, like your reaction is going to be.

Rape? Not arsed mate.
Torture? Not arsed mate.
Humiliation? Now you're talking...

mothman

Yeah, I mean, come on, people! Rape and torture all you like. But show them some respect, allow them their dignity for Christ's sake!

Rolf Lundgren

I'm hoping it means at some point she gets a custard pie in the face.

itsfredtitmus

what about dvd covers?

what about them?

mothman

DVD covers - and video box covers before them - are probably a subject for a whole other thread. Attempts to sell films by some dubious association to some more famous film ("BY THE SCREENWRITER OF..."). Cover images that massively misrepresent the film.

I recall seeing a VHS cover for Attack Force Z. With a big picture on the front of Mel Gibson wielding a M-16. Now, it was obviously his head stuck on another body. Plus, he was billed about 3rd in the film. And the US Army adopted the M-16 in 1967. Attack Force Z is a WW2 film...

St_Eddie

Jared Leto as Mark David Chapman doing his best impersonation of Mr. Explody Face from Big Trouble in Little China, there.

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 14, 2018, 11:47:25 AM

Jared Leto as Mark David Chapman doing his best impersonation of Mr. Explody Face from Big Trouble in Little China, there.

Garth Marenghi has let himself go looks about the same.

mothman

DID "the world change forever" though? Maybe for Yoko, Julian and Sean. The rest of us... I got to stay up a bit late to watch Help! one night (it was shown as a tribute the night after he was killed). There were a lot of Beatles & JL tracks in the charts in late 80 & early 81. Paul McCartney's musical reign of terror went on unchecked. But that's it, really.

zomgmouse

And yet again, Matthew Holness who is clearly on the poster gets shafted off the credits and they put Jared Leto on instead. That man just can't get a break!
Just kidding it's Phillip Seymour Hoffman back from the grave.

BlodwynPig

Those glasses - they never get a credit, but they've appeared in nearly every Hollywood 80s retrospective film starring a slightly overweight or fully overweight actor of note.

They're the ones Jonah Hill wears for serious roles.

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 14, 2018, 10:40:27 PM
They're the ones Jonah Hill wears for serious roles.

Glasses = Super cereal.

Glasses = Incredibly attractive woman who nominally appears to be "geeky", until she loses the specs, tears the upper portion of her shirt and lets her hair down.  The male protagonist is somehow surprised by this 'revelation'.

Glasses = Those things that I adorn upon my misshapen potato of a head, which attract dirt and dust like a scientifically useless magnet.

QDRPHNC

Poor Jared Leto - he tries so hard, doesn't he?

St_Eddie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on January 20, 2018, 04:02:20 PM
Poor Jared Leto - he tries so hard, doesn't he?

I reckon his Mother pats him on the head and calls him a "good boy".  He probably gets an extra portion of chips and all.

Mini

Not so much inept as in keeping with the tacky-as-fuck tone but jesus...