Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inept film posters

Started by Nuclear Optimism, April 09, 2013, 03:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: Mister Six on February 19, 2018, 02:14:56 PM
Reminds me of the scene with John Huston in the greenhouse in Guns.

Ed Miliband looking stoic in the etc etc

phantom_power

Quote from: Bazooka on February 19, 2018, 03:30:04 PM
Yes, but the US title is Victory, and yes directed by John Huston!

Who is it directed by everywhere else?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on February 19, 2018, 03:22:29 AM

The horrific result of three footballers getting into Seth Brundle's teleportation pod together, there.

The Culture Bunker

More criminal that John Wark misses out on being on the poster despite his sterling work as <checks> "Arthur Hayes".

Mini

For a second I thought that was the new Incredibles 2 teaser.

phantom_power

Quote from: Bazooka on February 19, 2018, 03:30:04 PM
Yes, but the US title is Victory, and yes directed by John Huston!

I am more surprised it was written by Yabo Yablonsky

Dr Rock

I was surprised it was released late enough to fall under Parental Guidance and not U, A, AA X (the classic line-up there), but research shows it's about the same time.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: gabrielconroy on February 07, 2018, 03:19:03 PM
Someone earlier in the thread posted some frankly excellent Polish film posters. I specifically really want to get a framed print of this poster for Back to the Future:

The only places for such Polish posters I can find are either in the US or are insanely expensive (like, £2500 for a Taxi Driver print).

Anyone know somewhere in the UK I can get that poster, or somewhere that might print it on demand (I'd have to get a hi-res image first for that)?
I have a mate who collects stuff from the Eastern Bloc, mostly political things, but he goes out to visit a mate in some country in that part of the world a couple of times a year. I'll ask him if he's going over there any time soon.

Quote from: Bazooka on February 19, 2018, 03:22:29 AM

At first glance I honestly thought they were sixties England footballers making the shape of the World Cup.

newbridge

Quote from: gabrielconroy on February 07, 2018, 03:19:03 PM
Someone earlier in the thread posted some frankly excellent Polish film posters. I specifically really want to get a framed print of this poster for Back to the Future:

The only places for such Polish posters I can find are either in the US or are insanely expensive (like, £2500 for a Taxi Driver print).

Anyone know somewhere in the UK I can get that poster, or somewhere that might print it on demand (I'd have to get a hi-res image first for that)?

I custom printed an old movie poster from a resized high-res scan (somebody on here actually helped resize it, thanks touchingcloth! and also greenman iirc) and it looks perfect. Cost me like $20 from a website in the U.S. that does full-bleed printing, not sure if they ship internationally (or are still good).

You probably don't need a huge original image since it is mostly just black on yellow and resizing artifacts can be edited out. This might work if you photoshop out the creases: https://www.google.com/search?q=polish+back+to+the+future+poster&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=isz:lt,islt:2mp&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwia5Inr-rXZAhXBVt8KHZjsCKgQpwUIHg&biw=1185&bih=631&dpr=1#imgrc=g82bI2MNerEAUM:

Panbaams

Maybe they tried to contort the actors into shapes that spelt out Victory, but gave up and just settled with the V.

gabrielconroy

Quote from: newbridge on February 21, 2018, 02:30:57 AM
I custom printed an old movie poster from a resized high-res scan (somebody on here actually helped resize it, thanks touchingcloth! and also greenman iirc) and it looks perfect. Cost me like $20 from a website in the U.S. that does full-bleed printing, not sure if they ship internationally (or are still good).

You probably don't need a huge original image since it is mostly just black on yellow and resizing artifacts can be edited out. This might work if you photoshop out the creases: https://www.google.com/search?q=polish+back+to+the+future+poster&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=isz:lt,islt:2mp&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwia5Inr-rXZAhXBVt8KHZjsCKgQpwUIHg&biw=1185&bih=631&dpr=1#imgrc=g82bI2MNerEAUM:

Brilliant, cheers! I've got the high-res image now - not exactly a photoshop wiz, though. Any ideas how's best to go about removing the creases? Cloning the nearby blacks and yellows over it?

Sebastian Cobb

I think you'd be best off doing a vector trace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48_YWccD3Z4

Alternatively push the contrast quite high so the yellow is quite light,  force to true black or white then use selective colour to make white yellow again.

QDRPHNC

What size do you want the poster?

gabrielconroy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 21, 2018, 07:27:35 PM
I think you'd be best off doing a vector trace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48_YWccD3Z4

Alternatively push the contrast quite high so the yellow is quite light,  force to true black or white then use selective colour to make white yellow again.

Good stuff, cheers. Is this doable on Krita or one of the other free Adobe alternatives?

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 22, 2018, 04:13:22 PM
What size do you want the poster?

Big! Er...A3ish? Or smaller if that's a ridiculous answer, given the resolution of the image.

Sebastian Cobb

If you vector-trace it you can blow it up as big as you like as it's scalable.

It looks like Krita can support vectors, never used it mind. It looks like gimp can do it automatically too:
https://imgur.com/gallery/xL0Ba

newbridge

You'll want the image itself the same size as the poster so that the print people don't have to resize it. I think you could go quite a bit bigger than A3. Based on cursory research it looks like the original was B1, 67 x 97 cm.

It's probably easiest to find a place that will do custom full bleed posters, see what their standard sizes are, and work from there (making everything much cheaper/easier).

When I did mine the resized image was inevitably slightly off the standard sizes, so IIRC I added an inch or so of blank space on one end and then manually filled it using the clone stamp (probably a very low-tech way of doing it).

Keebleman

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 20, 2018, 05:19:11 PM
I was surprised it was released late enough to fall under Parental Guidance and not U, A, AA X (the classic line-up there), but research shows it's about the same time.

This is the American poster.  I think it was an A-cert in Britain.

QDRPHNC

The biggest bitmap I could find on google isn't big enough to get a good vector trace from. The car comes out OK, but the smaller elements and the text get lost.

gabrielconroy

Hm. I've converted it to vector in Inkscape but I have no idea how to get rid of the creases (without it looking ridiculous).

https://ibb.co/ef0Z8H

Any ideas? I've got Krita.

spamwangler

spamwangler

newbridge

That's the default Windows wallpaper in Poland.

Kelvin

"Just turn him 80 degrees."

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kelvin on March 01, 2018, 07:08:20 PM
"Just turn him 80 degrees."

"Flip""Flip him 80 degrees".  Because pancakes.

"Women with no heads in film posters" is trending on Twitter. Reminded me of this.

Small Man Big Horse

Could be just me but every time I look at her tiny wrists and then her thighs, the latter look ridiculously huge:

The lead actress also looks like a dead friend of mine. :(

Blumf

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 13, 2018, 10:28:01 PM
Could be just me but every time I look at her tiny wrists and then her thighs, the latter look ridiculously huge:

Face appears to have hinged forward too.

samadriel

And I think they'll find that archaeology was already badass.

Famous Mortimer

I feel sorry for the people on the middle row of "Dancin: It's On!", who appear to have been forced to jump in the air despite severe neck injuries.