Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:07:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inept film posters

Started by Nuclear Optimism, April 09, 2013, 03:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

The Widescreen Festival appears to be the only film festival I'm aware of set solely on a boat: https://youtu.be/rY2zCY_pULw?t=3
- and a quick glance at http://widescreenfest.com/ seems to suggest it ran for three years and then failed to go ahead this year.

Clownbaby

One of my friends was doing a dissertation on movie posters and I showed her the poster for Father Figures. I think I genuinely tainted her life

Blue Jam

Famous Mortimer

Given that Pamela Anderson does, indeed, show her boobs in this movie, it might have been slightly more sensible to just take an actual photo of her for the cover rather than this monstrosity.

St_Eddie

Haha!  I like the way that they couldn't even be bothered to try and match the two different heads of hair.

The best of The Crow sequels? Talk about damning with faint praise.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 06, 2018, 04:59:23 PM
One of my friends was doing a dissertation on movie posters and I showed her the poster for Father Figures. I think I genuinely tainted her life

fucking hell.

"there's eight of them, & they all have it in their contracts to be on the poster, same size as everyone else, but the posters have to be portrait. also, some of the headshots need a little work..."

"it's ok, I've got this..."

Mister Six

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 26, 2018, 08:06:05 PM
I feel sorry for the people on the middle row of "Dancin: It's On!", who appear to have been forced to jump in the air despite severe neck injuries.

I like the quote at the top that suggests the reviewer couldn't be bothered to find out whether Step Up came first or High School Musical did.

Famous Mortimer

In "severe neck injury movie poster" news, Tommy Lee Jones.

Brundle-Fly

It's courteous of Medusa Films to lend their logo to Sean Young to have a surreptitious piss.

The Culture Bunker

Sort of seems like they've transported Tommy Lee Jones circa 1975 to appear in their dodgy late 80s action flick.

He also has an expression of a man who just saw his cat get run over by a juggernaut doing 80mph.

Ferris

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 02, 2019, 01:23:06 PM

This film is impressively bad - I encourage people to seek it out.

BlodwynPig

mothman

I know I've seen it. But I can remember nothing at all about it.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 03, 2019, 08:09:20 AM
Flop Gun?

The review pull-quote on the cover of the VHS copy I owned at university said "if you liked Top Gun... you will have a good time"

The praise seemed so laughably artificial that I tried to find the actual review it was taken from, to no avail. The idea of this was much more entertaining than the actual film, which was dog turds.

St_Eddie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 04, 2019, 12:24:09 AM
The review pull-quote on the cover of the VHS copy I owned at university said "if you liked Top Gun... you will have a good time"

The praise seemed so laughably artificial that I tried to find the actual review it was taken from, to no avail...

No doubt something along the lines of...

"If you liked Top Gun, you may be tempted to watch Wings of Apache, in the hope of similar thrills but unfortunately, with this cheap knock-off, you'll be flying into a no thrills danger zone.  If on the other hand, you get a perverse pleasure out of watching laughable cinematic tripe, then you will have a good time."

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 04, 2019, 02:11:46 AM
No doubt something along the lines of...

"If you liked Top Gun, you may be tempted to watch Wings of Apache, in the hope of similar thrills but unfortunately, with this cheap knock-off, you'll be flying into a no thrills danger zone.  If on the other hand, you get a perverse pleasure out of watching laughable cinematic tripe, then you will have a good time."

I thought it was more along the lines of...

"If you liked Top Gun [go and watch that instead]; you will have a good time"

Edit: here it is, quote at the top.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wings-Apache-VHS-Nicolas-Cage/dp/B00008T2XM

I'd forgotten all the music (including the incidental sunset/helicopter fight stuff) was written and performed by Phil Collins. This film feels like a fever-dream. Nic Cage screams "I AM THE GREATEST" more than once, in normal conversation.

St_Eddie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 04, 2019, 04:41:19 AM
I thought it was more along the lines of...

"If you liked Top Gun [go and watch that instead]; you will have a good time"

Edit: here it is, quote at the top.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wings-Apache-VHS-Nicolas-Cage/dp/B00008T2XM

Oh, being the case that the actual quote is "if you enjoyed Top Gun, you'll have a great time"; that means that it's not a spliced quote because there's no ellipses (which is a legal requirement, if a quote is spliced together from two separate sentences of a review).  However, note that no source for the quote is provided, which means that it's a quote made by the producers/marketing team themselves and not sourced from an actual review (designed to trick potential buyers into thinking that it's a quote from a review).

I looked into and learned these common marketing tricks when I was a kid, having being burned one too many times.

Mister Six

"Absolutely brilliant!" - David Darling

BlodwynPig

"Choppers, Norks, and one big tit" - The Sun

greencalx

Quote from: Mister Six on November 13, 2018, 05:14:45 AM
I like the quote at the top that suggests the reviewer couldn't be bothered to find out whether Step Up came first or High School Musical did.

I've never understood these "best X since Y" type comments in reviews, and even less so when they get pulled out as an endorsement. For starters, it relies on the person reading it (i) having knowledge of Y; (ii) thinking that Y was good to begin with; and (iii) would consider seeing something that is not as good as Y.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 04, 2019, 04:41:19 AMThis film feels like a fever-dream. Nic Cage screams "I AM THE GREATEST" more than once, in normal conversation.
Saying it's a film that has Cage screaming random gibberish narrows it down to about 20 or 30, doesn't it?

Ferris

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 04, 2019, 10:06:52 PM
Saying it's a film that has Cage screaming random gibberish narrows it down to about 20 or 30, doesn't it?

Yes.

I've voluntarily sat through multiple screenings of Vampire's Kiss and Red Rock West, so I should know.

St_Eddie

Quote from: greencalx on January 04, 2019, 08:55:45 PM
I've never understood these "best X since Y" type comments in reviews, and even less so when they get pulled out as an endorsement. For starters, it relies on the person reading it (i) having knowledge of Y; (ii) thinking that Y was good to begin with; and (iii) would consider seeing something that is not as good as Y.

Nothing is better than Y.  Y is the pinnacle of human achievement.

X is for muppets.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 05, 2019, 12:44:54 AM

Why?

St_Eddie

jobotic

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 04, 2019, 12:24:09 AM
Sagittarius 22 Nov - 21 Dec "if you liked Top Gun... you will have a good time"

olliebean

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 05, 2019, 12:44:54 AM

X is for muppets.

Fuckin' misogynist.

thraxx

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 02, 2019, 01:23:06 PM

An Apache doesn't even have wings. It's a helicopter. Those little stubby things are weapons pylons. It should have been called blades of the apache.