Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:26:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inept film posters

Started by Nuclear Optimism, April 09, 2013, 03:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Blumf on October 23, 2019, 01:29:06 PM
I had to check IMDB, thinking "Surely Brendan Fraser has done something more notable than George of the Jungle", but nope, that and The Mummy are his film career highlights.

Maybe Airheads? Not seen it.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000409/

Airheads is good but the entire cast pull out their A game.

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on October 23, 2019, 02:34:51 PM
He's got a tv showing coming out too. Shouldn't laugh, I guess, but...

Is he playing Doyle?

Good to see Tom Welling is still getting work too, even if he got called to the poster shoot in the middle of shaving.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on November 05, 2019, 05:43:05 PM
Good to see Tom Welling is still getting work too, even if he got called to the poster shoot in the middle of shaving.
Last thing I think I saw him in was some terrible Kevin Costner sports film that passed by in a semi-drunken haze whilst over the Atlantic Ocean, though I gather he's back playing Superman again for a wee bit.

Good to see Shaun Williamson looking well.

Alberon

Quote from: A Hat Like That on November 05, 2019, 03:13:16 PM
Is he playing Doyle?

Looking at that it seems he's playing a DFS salesman.

mrfridge

I'd say this is worse than that Professionals poster and presumably a LOT more money has been spent on it. Just shocking.

Famous Mortimer

I like how, judging by head sizes, Ryan Reynolds is either 30 feet tall or stood about 30 metres in front of everyone else.

BlodwynPig

The car! Ha ha, barrel scraping shite

phantom_power

It looks like a poster that was made to stand out as a Netflix thumbnail

BlodwynPig

Cliched, mysogynistic, racist, offensive - and that is just Ryan Reynold's expression

Keebleman

Gunderground is quite an intriguing title though.

Icehaven

Shame, if it wasn't for the woman in the green dress and the man in the car, it could have had a chance at the 'most people on a film poster looking in different directions' Oscar.

Cuellar

samadriel

Do they really say no-one can save the world?

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: mrfridge on November 18, 2019, 09:48:37 PM
I'd say this is worse than that Professionals poster and presumably a LOT more money has been spent on it. Just shocking.

The only way this could be more ridiculous is if Ryan Reynolds had a tiny baby in his baby carrier that was also holding a gun.

marquis_de_sad

This film looks fantastically shit.

QuotePlot synopsis
Six individuals form a vigilante squad after faking their deaths in order to take down notorious criminals. All of them were brought to the team by its leader (Reynolds) for their unique skills and a desire to erase their past and change the future.

I'm expecting the Sneaker Pimps song to pop up during the end of the second act.

idunnosomename

The thing that's most ridiculous to me is that you see on the left, that's the east end of Florence cathedral? Then on the right... it's the west front of the same building

the

That woman's chestal area seems as if it's become symbiotically melded with the bodywork of the car

phantom_power

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 20, 2019, 01:50:23 PM
The thing that's most ridiculous to me is that you see on the left, that's the east end of Florence cathedral? Then on the right... it's the west front of the same building

That's them changing the future.

How do you change the future anyway? It hasn't happened yet

The clue to the goodness of the film is the little bit at the bottom of the poster that says "Directed by Michael Bay"

Jim Bob

holyzombiejesus

Apologies if already posted.

Glebe

Kelvin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 01, 2019, 11:08:54 PM

How many lesbians are they reacting to. And why are they all different sizes?

Ferris

Quote from: Glebe on December 02, 2019, 12:48:20 AM

That is the most apposite use of that gif I have ever seen. Amazing work.

Enrico Palazzo

Gary Oldman seems to be going down the John Cusack/Nicolas Cage career route.

momatt

This applies for almost all film posters - why can't they just take a photo of all the actors when they're in the same room?
Anything else looks fucking shit.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on December 02, 2019, 08:20:20 AM
Gary Oldman seems to be going down the John Cusack/Nicolas Cage career route.

Tintin from Engrenages half-looking odd

idunnosomename

Quote from: momatt on December 02, 2019, 08:47:38 AM
This applies for almost all film posters - why can't they just take a photo of all the actors when they're in the same room?
Anything else looks fucking shit.
because this sort of photography is done in post-production when the cast will have different comittments. Doing it in pre production might mean the look of the film wasn't developed, and fitting it into the production time - the most expensive part per day - is too costly.

It used to be you had a stills photographer during filming, who would be there purely for promotional shots to use for posters. Failing that you paid an artist to paint a picture. These are just the modern versions of the latter. The problem is the most important things are the captured likenesses of the actors above anything else, hence why the bodies are often contorted around the heads.

Ultimately film posters these days are made not as art but to sell a product, and I guess they work.

momatt

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 02, 2019, 11:08:20 AM
Ultimately film posters these days are made not as art but to sell a product, and I guess they work.

Yeah, I think that's what it boils down to, it's not really about the art.
Your reasons make sense, and give rise to shoddy results.

'Good' films usually have decent arty posters.